One | The Arrival

By Soul & Blood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a warm, rainy day on the Hawaiian island of Mahaou. In a cave at the centre of the island, a group of people in dark robes stood in a circle, voices low as they chanted. 

"E ka poe kahiko, e hoolohe mai i ko makou leo, a e haawi mai i kou naauao. Ke noi aku nei mākou iā ʻoe e hoʻomaikaʻi a alakaʻi iā mākou, i hoʻomau mākou i ka lawelawe ʻana iā ʻoe." (O Ancient Ones, hear our voice, and give us thy wisdom. We ask you to bless and guide us, that we may continue to serve you)

One of the figures stepped forward and began to speak in a strong, steady female voice. "E ke kai, e hoike mai ia makou i ka mea e hiki koke mai ana." (O sea, show us that which is soon to come)

The pool of seawater in front of her swirled, then stilled and showed her the image of a familiar group arriving on Mahaou with the purpose of settling permanently. The woman smiled, her dark eyes glowing purple as she let out a throaty laugh. "Everything is working out perfectly." 

One week later

24-year-old Kaneoa Kam'ehele let out a sigh as she exited the healer's hut, cheek still stinging from the harsh slap the elderly witch had given her. 

"Show up late like this again, half-breed, and your punishment will be much worse!" Old Nehina had screamed, spittle flying from her withered lips. "Now go and fetch me some mandrakes, I need them for the bonding ceremony next moon." 

Kaneoa had simply nodded and left, knowing any backtalk would get her in trouble with Mahela. 

Mahela Kam'ehele was Kaneoa's step-mother and the leader of the Coven they lived in, the Hanemaha Coven. Mahela and all the other witches in the Coven absolutely despised Kaneoa because her father was Ji Yunhao, a South Korean witch. 

Interbreeding between Covens that didn't have an alliance is generally looked down upon, so the fact that Kaneoa wasn't fully Hawaiian made her the target of much bullying and abuse. Having been treated this way as long as she could remember, she had slowly grown used to such treatment and had learned what to do and say to lessen these experiences. 

Kaneoa was halfway to the hidden mandrake grove when she heard a voice that was all too familiar. The young woman froze, heart reate picking up as she turned around and came face-to-face with Mahela herself. The tall woman loomed over Kaneoa, arms crossed and face full of displeasure. 

"I just spoke to Old Nehina. She told me you were late, again." 

Kaneoa swallowed and spoke, willing her voice to sound confident. No matter how old she was, Mahela never failed to scare the absolute out of Kaneoa. 

"It's only because you had me up so late last night practicing spells. I onl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter