fin.

once more to see you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The moment Siyeon thought this day could not get any worse after being splashed with soda for her previous harsh response — the last straw for her so-supposed ‘girlfriend’, the rain drops spontaneously. No. Definitely not spontaneously. It was drizzling as if mocking her for being such an to the girl who doesn’t deserve any of her abrupt demeanours. If demanded for a reason, Siyeon would excuse herself that she doesn’t like to be disturbed during her evening shifts. But in reality, though she wouldn’t admit it out loud, she was absolutely despising forcing herself into the unwanted relationship for the sake of her best friend’s wish or whatever Yoohyeon had been implying.

I’m telling you, Siyeon, you two would make a such a powerful couple. Also, look, she’s already into you!

Siyeon groans and looks up at the glum sky, letting her face be splattered with cold droplets. She should break up with Minji later lest both of them continue suffering from this. For now, she should get back into the shop to finish off sorting just arrived packages of new products. Her break is almost over—

“Why are standing there so angsty and abandoned? Living up to your nickname ‘lone wolf’?”

She turns her head to see the owner of that familiar voice and when she sees the source of it, her whole world suddenly becomes less complicated. A simple blithe smile from Yoohyeon and life gets pretty much simpler. The same small smile starts creeping onto her own lips.

“I ed up and made Minji mad again,” she should sound at least a bit apologetic, yet she stated this with a simple shrug which elicited a sigh from her friend.

“This is no good,” Yoohyeon shakes her head with slight disappointment. “I now wanna take my words back about you two being a good couple.”

“Shouldn’t have even said that in the first place,” this was said as a joke but Siyeon really meant those words.

“And, Siyeon,” when her eyes full of disapproval lowers at her hand, Siyeon just now remembers of her joint that had gone out because of rain. “Smoking again? Man, your stamina would be of an old hag in no time if you won’t start exercising at least.”

There wasn’t a serious reproachfulness in her tone, just a light remark with joking hue to it. Siyeon liked that because around Yoohyeon there’s no judgement or other complicated feelings.

“But, hey, you know what we can do? This weekend there’s a trip up to the mountains and we could make good run there!”

Siyeon chuckles at the usual enthusiasm of her friend and without second thought agrees. Yet she does wonder if they could make it without catching a cold as it is prognosed the rain will pour unstoppably for one more week, if not for a whole month as the monsoon season is around the corner.

She wonders is it okay to get soaked through until stuttering shiver and at the same time not minding it as Yoohyeon’s laugh makes her insides warm. And, frankly, she doesn’t know and doesn’t want to know if it’s normal. The more important point is that Yoohyeon was here.

The only thing she knew was that this upcoming monsoon season had a foreshadowing hue to it. And her guts weren’t wrong. Even though Yoohyeon was laughing at another pun that she let out, her eyes were reminding of this downpour and Siyeon had no choice but to witness how the wide smile couldn’t reach the eyes.

 

 

“So, you’re taking this trip, even though you have to take another one in a day?”

“Yup,” Yoohyeon said while they were searching for their seats and walking down the aisle inside the bus. When they succeeded and put their backpacks above them, the younger girl settles beside the window with a relieved sigh. Propping her palm under her chin, she continues her chatter about upcoming tournaments. 

“...and, you know, I just want my friend to get some fresh air from working all day. You’re graduating soon and overloading yourself isn’t good.”

At that Siyeon can’t retort and just grumbles something under her breath. It was true she was overworking herself yet it seemed as a normal thing for high schoolers with few plans for future. 

After graduation she wanted to move to the capital and get into art school, start a brand new life there with her best friend. When Yoohyeon heard her plans for a first time she got excited to the point of asking for a pinky silly promise which Siyeon just couldn’t reject because that wide smile and those puppy shining eyes could melt even the coldest heart. 

Her mind would wander further into imagining the future mutual life with her best friend if not the quiet exclaim beside her:

“Look, rain started!” 

With a slight smile on her lips Siyeon cracks one eye to see the window getting splattered with rain. Surprisingly, they’ve never talked about it, but she knew Yoohyeon loved this type of weather from the way her voice would get notes of little excitement and how her eyes would sparkle with fondness.

“I hope it’ll end when we’ll get there,” Siyeon says, closing off again into her own space as she didn’t want to show she was glad, too. Not because she was doing it to spite her friend, not at all. She just wanted to hide her blush by tilting her head away as if she’s asleep.

crushing on your best friend

 

 

“What? Already tired?” 

They were halfway on the road that was leading up to the higher hills and further to rocky mountains. Around them there was no one else, except for the birds and other insects hiding in the bushes and trees nearby. The road heads in circular directions around the rocky area, being so steep that running was quite of a challenge for inexperienced people like Siyeon. 

“Yes,” panting hard and leaning on her kneecaps heavily, Siyeon looks up from her disheveled bangs. “Unfortunately... I’m not a captain of a volleyball team and I don’t train almost every day.” 

“Siyeon, come on,” ignoring the sting remark, Yoohyeon approaches her and puts her hand on her still slouching shoulder. “Just one more lap and we’re done for tod—“ 

Her words get cut by the sudden rumble of thunder and instant drizzle accompanied after. 

“Come on,” Siyeon looks at her friend who’s still not backing away, but this time with widened eyes as if Yoohyeon is really offering some madness. In fact, she was doing it.

“To run under this thunder!? Yoohyeon, are you serious—“

“Okay, join me when it’s over raining,” dismissively waving back, Yoohyeon was ready to resume her run.

“You wish!” Siyeon takes the challenge and meeting a wide grin in response, joins her with hurdling steps.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter