ii. wenrene

my girlfriend, the gumiho

Seungwan considers herself to be a decent person. She’s not the best at a lot of things, but what she’s good at are things that she holds dear to herself. She chose theatre because of how much she loves being on the stage, singing, dancing, acting, and being anyone she wants. 

When things get tough in real life, she finds comfort in the stage because she can shed the weight of the world and just be someone else for a brief moment. 

Honestly, no matter what, right now, she’s not okay. 

Not only did her girlfriend cheat on her but her drunken blunder thereafter leaves her indebted to Joohyun sunbae

Joohyun sunbae is scary. She’s one of the scariest and prettiest sunbae in her major. She’s got a timeless and ageless face that makes everyone swoon. The thing is she’s never been outwardly mean to anyone, but her aura is enough to know when she’s not messing around. 

So when she wakes up early in the morning with a slap on her head by her older sister, Seunghee, telling her she ed up, Seungwan is terrified to find out the sunbae had taken her home because she ran into her car and broke her passenger mirror. 

 

“I’m so sorry, I will pay for all of the damages!” Seungwan exclaims from her 90 degree bow.

Joohyun is a bit startled, but she doesn’t say anything, only staring at the back of the girl’s head as she bows. There are other people walking by staring at them and she doesn’t really like it. “Get up, you’re embarrassing yourself,” she lowly orders.

Seungwan bows even harder. “Please accept my apology!” she insists. 

Just as she’s about to get down on her knees she feels two hands on her arms stopping her. Joohyun pulls her up onto her feet with a scowl on her face. “Stop it, there’s nothing to apologize for.” 

“But I damaged your car, please let me pay for it,” Seungwan pleads. 

There are way more people staring at them now and it’s not just over their heated conversation but the proximity which they are with each other. 

“It’s okay, Seungwan, I took care of it,” Joohyun says as she carefully rubs Seungwan’s upper arms. It’s supposed to provide some comfort to the younger college student, but Seungwan is stubborn. 

“I can still help pay, don’t worry!” 

“I bought a new car. It’d be out of your price range.” 

Seungwan’s eyes go wide. “What?” She can hear the cash register dinging out zeros that she nor her family has ever seen in their entire lives. “You bought a new car...because I damaged it that badly?”

Joohyun chuckles at the horrified look on Seungwan’s face. “I didn’t like the car anyway. So I got a better one.” 

Seungwan is at a loss for words. Nothing feels quite alright in that moment because she’s wondering how she can help repay Joohyun for her undeserving kindness. She was the one that was drunk and decided to run into her car. Her shoulders sag, feeling helpless at the situation. “There must be something I can do,” she offers. 

Joohyun stares at Seungwan as if she’s grown three heads. Seungwan is too wrapped up in her feelings to notice until she feels a pat on her head. “Hm.” Joohyun sounds as she pats Seungwan’s head gently before ruffling her hair. “Take good care of yourself, human.” 

Seungwan tilts her head in confusion. “Eh?” 

Joohyun seems to realize what she’s said is strange and she awkwardly laughs as she pulls away. “Oh, it’s nothing.” She realizes how close they’ve been and takes a step back. “Just thinking to myself.” 

Seungwan still has a quizzical look on her face. But she realizes too that they’ve been in such close quarters. She feels warm and comforted by the sunbae’s proximity. As terrified as she is of the older woman, she likes how Joohyun makes her feel. “Okay sunbae...just let me know if there’s anything I can do okay?” 

Joohyun nods and that’s that. 

------------------------

But the universe has a funny way of bringing them together it seems like. 

They share an advanced script writing course and the topic is Dating. It’s a sore spot for Seungwan because she’s just got out of a relationship---she was cheated on (and it’s something that her friends keep reminding her to not feel guilty about ending). The professor wants the students in pairs to go on dates once a week for the next three months as a means to garner a deeper understanding of conversations and recreating conversations that flow. 

Seungwan gets paired with Joohyun. 

Almost everyone in the class suddenly has eyes on her because Joohyun is an ephemeral entity. She’s untouchable and mysterious. Some of them even beg her to trade with them until Joohyun appears in front of her. 

“Shall we go?” Joohyun looks all serious and business-like with her turtleneck sweater, neatly tucked into her pants, and long sweeping peacoat. 

Seungwan shoves all her books into her bag and quickly stumbles out of the lecture all after the sunbae, leaving whispers behind them. 

They leave the building together before Joohyun stops in her tracks to look at Seungwan. 

“How do you do this?” she asks with genuine curiosity. 

“Do what?” Seungwan returns in confusion. 

“The dating thing,” Joohyun bluntly answers.

Seungwan is confused and surprised. “What do you mean? It’s dating. You just do it.” 

Joohyun chews on her bottom lip thoughtfully. It’s rather cute because it almost makes it look like she’s pouting. She’s thinking too long and it brings Seungwan to the conclusion. 

“You haven’t dated before?” she carefully asks, not to anger the beautiful sunbae. 

Joohyun stares at Seungwan, startled by the astute observation. She crosses her arms defensively. “And what if I haven’t?” 

Seungwan is amused by the way the woman reacts. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of,” she reassures. “It’s just I’m surprised because you’re you.” 

“What does that mean?” 

“You’re beautiful and talented. I’ve seen you on stage before, you’ve played excellent love interests. I just assumed with how many of us fawn over you, that you’ve been on dates before.” 

Joohyun sighs with narrow eyes at Seungwan. “I have not. Something about the notion doesn’t really interest me.” She pauses and rethinks her statement. “There is no one of interest worth spending time with.” 

Seungwan cringes at how brutally blunt Joohyun says it, but she can see how the woman doesn’t go on dates. “Okay...well I don’t want to make this a bad experience for you because 1) this is a huge part of our grades and 2) we have to do this for three months. If I don’t interest you, then I won’t make you suffer with my company. We can just say we met up and just make up dialogue.” 

Joohyun furrows her brows in confusion. “Why do you say that?” 

“What?” 

“Why would I not enjoy your company?” Joohyun clarifies. “You’ve dated before haven’t you? That means you must be good company to be in a relationship.” 

The sunbae has no idea what she’s talking about and it shows. Seungwan just tries not to let her words sting because she’s not trying to be mean. “I was cheated on...hardly speaks to how much my company meant to her,” she points out. 

There’s almost a sympathetic look on Joohyun’s face. She continues to mull over her thoughts, trying to understand how everything works. “Show me how you date then. I’ll make an assessment of your company.” 

“Eh?” 

“I’d like to understand this dating thing more,” Joohyun says more to herself than the younger woman. “It seems to be of major interest to humans and I think it’s best to understand the allure of it.” 

Seungwan really doesn’t understand Joohyun sunbae. “Sunbae, you say some really strange things.”

“Is that a problem?” 

“No! I’m just trying to figure out what goes on in your mind I suppose.” 

------------------------

They do end up dating--well going on dates because Joohyun is genuinely curious about how it works. While she’s intimidated to take Joohyun sunbae on dates, the older woman relinquishes control over the situation by insisting that she’s there to observe and understand how Seungwan’s dating leads her to her subsequent break up. It’s a sore spot, but Seungwan is at least determined to make it a good time for Joohyun. 

 

“Coffee?” Joohyun wrinkles her nose in distaste. After centuries, she still doesn’t like the bitterness. 

Seungwan timidly looks at Joohyun, seeing the displeasure in her face. “I know it’s not the best place for coffee--” she carefully begins when the older woman cuts her off. 

“I don’t drink coffee,” Joohyun says bluntly. She looks at Seungwan apologetically. “Your ex-girlfriend might have liked it, but---”

“Oh! No, no!” Seungwan quickly waves her hands. “I didn’t bring you here for the coffee. They have coffee but they also have a good selection of tea. And they have the best selection of pastries at a reasonable price.” Joohyun makes a little o with before observing the humble coffee shop in the small alleyway. Seungwan feels her insecurity seep in. “It’s okay! We can go somewhere else! There’s a better shop down the street--” 

“Why did you want to bring me here?” Joohyun suddenly asks, throwing Seungwan off.

Seungwan warms at the question, scratching the back of her neck. Joohyun stares at her without any judgment, just pure curiosity. “I-I just-it’s my favorite place. It’s quiet and nondescript. I know it’s not the most expensive or instagram worthy but it has what I like and it’s really good despite how it looks.” 

Joohyun nods, understanding. “Then we should go.” She begins to walk towards the shop. 

Seungwan worries that Joohyun would find her choice too pedestrian for how expensive she is, it surprises her that Joohyun doesn’t hesitate to take a seat wherever. Joohyun just observes the space and the selection, her eyes lighting up when she sees all the pastries. There’s a cute look on her face when she orders over 6 different pastries. As Seungwan calculates her budget, Joohyun doesn’t hesitate to hand the cashier cash. 

“Sunbae, you didn’t have to pay,” Seungwan pouts as she carries the tray of pastries to their table. 

“Do you always pay for your date?” Joohyun asks as she drapes her coat on her chair. 

“I do.” 

“You weren’t able to pay for the damages on my car,” the older woman points out matter of factly. Seungwan drops her head shamefully. “If you paid for every date, how could you go on so many? It’d be more reasonable for one to pay then the other, no? Wouldn’t that be more fair?” 

Call it pride, but Seungwan really does try to put her best foot forward. Seungwan sits up straight. “I’m a little old fashioned, but I don’t mind paying for dates. After all, chivalry isn’t dead.”

Joohyun tilts her head in confusion. “How could chivalry be dead? Chivalry is a concept.” 

Seungwan pauses at Joohyun’s confusion before it clicks in her head. Joohyun takes things very literally even in the smallest ways. It’s cute and makes her giggle. “Sunbae, that’s what I’m saying. Chivalry as a concept isn’t dead. Like men opening doors for women, letting them walk in places first, standing up when they approach, and paying for dates.” 

Joohyun nods, trying to understand before she contests. “But you’re not a man.” 

Seungwan scratches her cheek playfully. “I am not, but I find those things, treating women well to be universal concepts. So I guess I try to be gentlewomanly.” 

“Mmm. If that’s the case, shouldn’t it still be both ways?” Joohyun inquires. “Can you stand up?” 

Seungwan furrows her brows, but slowly stands up as Joohyun waves her hand up and down for Seungwan to stand. Joohyun then stands up, furthering Seungwan’s confusion. 

“Please sit,” Joohyun says, gesturing between them. 

Seungwan is confused, but sits at the request, looking as her sunbae remains standing until she’s settled.

Joohyun smiles and takes a seat. She pulls a napkin to lay on her lap. “That wasn’t so hard was it? Being treated well as a woman.” 

It takes a moment for it to click in Seungwan’s head. The blush burns her cheeks like wildfire.

------------------------

Seungwan nervously stands on the balls of her feet as she looks up and down the street. She checks her watch and double-checks the time on the ticket and triple checks her text message to Joohyun sunbae. 

Breakfast at Tiffany's

It's an old film but it's a classic that Seungwan loves to watch. Not just for fun but for the artistry. She really hopes that Joohyun likes it because it's the only Saturday that she isn't working during matinee to see it. 

"Seungwan," Joohyun greets with a gentle smile and wave as she approaches. 

God she looks so cute and expensive. Today, Joohyun looks casual with her dark wash jeans, knit sweater, and peacoat. With the light wintry sky, her raven hair looks richer. Seungwan washed her hair and threw on her cleanest and warmest puffy jacket, which makes her unconsciously run her hand through just to make sure she looks good enough so Joohyun isn't embarrassed. 

"Sunbae!" Seungwan greets warmly as she waves back. She meets Joohyun halfway. 

"Did you wait long?"

Seungwan shakes her head and walks beside Joohyun. "I bought the tickets already." She shows Joohyun the tickets and waits for her reaction.

Joohyun furrows her brows instantly and Seungwan feels her heart drop. "How--" The older woman is confused and pulls out her cellphone, tapping it quickly and checking something on it before checking the ticket again. "How are they still playing this film in the cinema? It's not 1961 anymore." Joohyun looks around her in massive confusion.

In turn, Seungwan is also confused. This was not the reaction she was expecting because Joohyun looks genuinely distressed and looks at her phone for the date it turns out. 

"Joohyun sunbae, this place is a retro cinema," Seungwan explains to reassure her. "They play retro films all the time. Every week they showcase a classic film and this time it's Breakfast at Tiffany's."

Joohyun nods in realization, the cute elongated O face reappearing as she takes in her surroundings. "You like old films, Seungwan?"

Seungwan warms. "Yea...something about them. I’ve always been a fan of classic films. It's different from how films are today." Joohyun hums and bobs her head in agreement. "D-do you like classic films, sunbae? We can go see something you like instead." 

"I try to be updated on the latest culture," Joohyun says casually and Seungwan is ready to throw her tickets away when Joohyun touches her wrist, "but Breakfast at Tiffany's is my favorite." She smiles warmly, bringing much relief to Seungwan. "The first time I saw it, it took my breath away. I didn't know someone could be so beautiful." She looks into the theatre with curiosity and begins walking into the theatre. "I wonder if it'll look like it did in the 60s." 

Seungwan can’t help but feel her heart thump inside of her chest at how cute and quirky Joohyun is.  There’s a brief moment during the movie where she catches the older woman mouthing Audrey Hepburn’s words, completely enraptured by the actress. She’s always known Joohyun to be beautiful, but in that moment, Seungwan can’t help but see her as far more than that.

“Sorry,” Joohyun shyly murmurs when she catches Seungwan staring. “It’s my favorite part.” 

Seungwan just smiles and nods. “I’m glad I could share this time with you sunbae.” 

Joohyun’s eyes go wide. “What’re you saying?” she stammers. “You’re the one sharing your favorite things with me. You should be enjoying it.” She pushes the popcorn towards Seungwan. 

It’s so cute that Seungwan feels her heart pound in her chest. She awkwardly takes some popcorn. Unbeknownst to her, Joohyun’s cheeks are completely red. 

------------------------

“Let’s go, let’s go!” Seungwan rushes as she jumps into Joohyun’s car. 

If it were up to her, she wouldn’t let Joohyun within 10 km of her home because 1) her neighborhood isn’t the greatest and 2) Seunghee has a chance of embarrassing her. But Joohyun had been gracious to offer to drive them and insisted that it made more sense to pick up Seungwan if it was on the way.

Joohyun only looks at her in confusion until she hears a muffled, “Wannie the Pooh! You forgot your wallet!” 

Seungwan pats her jacket down quickly and realizes that she did. She curses quietly and is about to jump out of the car when Seunghee appears in the window, startling the two of them. 

Joohyun doesn’t think twice, seeing the same face on the older Son daughter, and rolls down the window for Seungwan.  

Seungwan lets out a distressed sound as Seunghee smiles mirthfully at the two of them. 

“Wow, she’s prettier than they say,” Seunghee points out as she dumbly hands Seungwan her wallet. 

“Shut up,” Seungwan mutters as she snatches the wallet away. “Thank you. Now go away.” 

“Don’t be rude,” Seunghee chides with a threatening slap. She smiles at Joohyun sweetly. “I’m sorry for my dongsaeng’s rudeness. You should come in--”

“No!” Seungwan all but screeches, startling Joohyun. She glares at her older sister and looks apologetically at Joohyun. “Joohyun sunbae doesn’t need to--we need to go! We have a date.” 

Seunghee frowns at Seungwan before Seungwan just rolls up the window, ignoring her older sister. She looks at Joohyun, “Shall we go?” 

Joohyun is confused. “Sure, we can go,” she says, waving to Seunghee politely before driving off. After a few minutes she asks, “Do I make you uncomfortable that you don’t want me to come over?” 

Seungwan shakes her head with a sardonic laugh. “No, it’s not like that. I’m comfortable with you Joohyun sunbae, but I don’t want to make you uncomfortable. My place is small and we don’t have much, I have nothing to offer you even if we invite you in.” 

Joohyun nods, listening to Seungwan. There’s a small frown on her face. When she glances at Seungwan, she can see the downcast and shameful look on her face as she looks down at her feet. “As long as it’s your home, it’ll be comfortable with you there,” she offers encouragingly. “I’d be there for your company if you ever choose to invite me.” 

Seungwan looks at Joohyun with shining eyes. She stares at Joohyun with such hopefulness, seeking truth in her words. It throws Joohyun off, wondering why the simplicity of her words seem to mean a lot to the young woman. 

“Maybe one day,” Seungwan shyly says, “you can come over.” 

Joohyun doesn’t know why in that moment, her heart reacts so suddenly.

Simkung

------------------------

Seungwan feels awful because this is the first weekend after over a month of seeing each other consistently that she has to cancel on Joohyun. But her manager is desperate to fill a shift and Seungwan does need the money. Despite Joohyun splitting the bill with her all the time (sometimes even paying fully), Seungwan needs to help Seunghee pay their rent and utilities. With the next semester coming up soon, she needs to prepare for the tuition bill. 

“Hi, welcome to Chicken King how can I--sunbae!” Seungwan gasps at the woman before her. 

Joohyun crosses her arms, looking at her surroundings with scrutiny. 

“What’re you doing here?” Seungwan asks quickly. 

“I’m seeing why you’ve cancelled our date,” Joohyun answers bluntly. She wrinkles her nose in distaste and Seungwan feels embarrassed to be seen by her sunbae in her greasy uniform with a chicken hat on. “Do you always work here?” 

Seungwan nods, wishing the ground would completely swallow her up. “Can I get you anything?” 

“I can’t eat chicken.” Joohyun glares at the menu. “I didn’t come here to eat though. I want to reschedule our date.” Seungwan lets out a confused sound. “If we can’t spend time today, then tomorrow is a must. The weekend has been fortuitous for us and I’d like to continue that trend.” 

Seungwan frowns because Sundays are her rest and study days. “Uh..I have a lot of assignments…” she hesitantly says but Joohyun stares at her pointedly. “It’s okay! I can figure it out! Let’s go on our date tomorrow then sunbae!” She’ll just need to study after work tonight and prepare for the date and make sure Seunghee has food for the week---

“Then I’ll come over.” 

“Eh?” 

“Mmhmm. I hear that study dates are also considered dates. If you need to do assignments, I’ll bring food that we can both eat and we can work together.” Seungwan can’t help her jaw from dropping and Joohyun responds with a proud smile. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Seungwan.” 

Seungwan can’t even respond because Joohyun being so assertive is really attractive. She can’t even think straight until Joohyun is completely out of shop. 

Seungwan [20:46]: Joohyun sunbae is coming over tomorrow, please make yourself scarce!

Seunghee [20:46]: omg! 

Seunghee [20:47]: are you two finally getting it on?!

Seungwan [20:48]: no! She’s coming over for a study date!

Seunghee [20:49]: i know that’s what the kids call it today *smirk* i’ll stay at my friends house for the night 

Seunghee [20:50]: use protection lil sis!

Seungwan [20:51]: I HATE YOU UNNIE

------------------------

They get closer and Seungwan thinks that she’s falling. Again

It’s not uncommon for her to fall for someone beautiful, nice, and that pays attention to her. Seungwan knows her heart is easy...and easily crushed because it’s right on her sleeve. Yet, she can’t help herself. 

No matter how many times she reminds herself that this is all part of an assignment, part of her thinks that Joohyun sunbae genuinely likes her. All of their dates could actually mean something. After all, they’ve gotten to know each other quite well. Seungwan hasn’t felt this comfortable being with someone as a potential lover since Jennie. As open as she can be with Joohyun, Joohyun has been showing more and more of herself to Seungwan. 

The woman has been known to be this goddess with an untouchable aura. But Bae Joohyun is human, very much so. She finds joy in the little things, argues for what’s right, and lives life as if it’s a wonder. She’s a human goddess that Seungwan finds herself worshipping even though she know she shouldn’t.

After all, the time they spend ‘dating’ is all for a grade. 

It’s their last weekend together before their assignment is due. 

Seungwan is too deep and she wants to enjoy her last date with Joohyun to the fullest. 

So Seungwan dedicates the entire day so that they can spend time together. They meet at 8am at the train station to take a train to the carnival. Seungwan makes an extra effort to get to know Joohyun, asking her a range of questions about her likes and dislikes, sharing her own answers when Joohyun enthusiastically returns the questions. The hour-long trip is filled with nonstop conversation that warms Seungwan’s heart. 

They’ve truly come a long way in a few months of dating. 

It turns out that Joohyun is awful at rides. 

Joohyun looks completely mortified as she stands before the rollercoaster. She is almost pale.

“It’s okay!” Seungwan reassures Joohyun, a bit sad she won’t be able to ride her favorite rides while she’s there. “We can do some other rides!”

“Do you like these rides?” Joohyun asks carefully. She looks at Seungwan seriously. 

Seungwan waves her hand carefreely. “Yeah, but it’s not a big deal if you can’t. There are plenty of other things.” 

Joohyun grabs her wrist to stop her from waving her hand. “What’s the point of being here if you don’t have fun?” she argues with a smile on her face. “I want you to have fun, so we’ll have fun together.” 

Seungwan feels her heart swell in her heart. She slips her hand in Joohyun’s and tugs her along. “I’ll keep you safe, sunbae,” she offers in return. Joohyun nods in agreement and holds her hand tightly.

 

After the fourth ride Seungwan has chosen, she decides maybe something a little more tame will amuse Joohyun. "Alright, bumper cars are safe!" She leads the way.

Until she notices Joohyun slow down when something catches her eyes. 

It’s an archery game. It’s simple enough but at a carnival, the bows are always ty and the arrows are warped. Seungwan never won those games. Seungwan is awful at games, never winning any prizes for Jennie ever, leaving the carnival with barely her pride with Jennie stepping all over it by making fun of her. 

“Do you want me to win you something?” Seungwan thinks when she glances at the prizes.

Joohyun asks, “Are you good at archery?” She’s not asking to be mean or anything, but genuinely curious.

Seungwan scratches the back of her head. “Not particularly but I can try.”

Joohyun shakes her head. There isn’t a disappointed look on her face much to Seungwan’s relief. “I’ll play and win you something,” she says and grabs Seungwan’s wrist to bring her over. 

“Eh?!” 

The attendant flirts with Joohyun when she buys the arrows, but Joohyun pays zero attention as she inspects the bow and the arrows. There’s a frown on her face, but she asks the attendant how many shots she needs to win a big prize. 

Three out of the five arrows need to be bullseye. 

Joohyun steps up to the line and Seungwan suddenly thinks she’s in a historical drama. The older woman looks like a professional, back straight, shoulders square, stance perfectly in line towards the target. She even lifts the bow and arrow over her head before bringing it to the eyeline and her thumb brushing her cheek. 

She’s so hot. 

There’s a twitch of Joohyun’s eyebrows before she lets the arrow fly. Seungwan stares with anticipation and watches as it sails through the air only to land just underneath the bullseye. 

She’s a little disappointed. 

Joohyun isn’t shaken though. She just reloads her arrow and readies herself again. There’s a glint in her eye as Seungwan waits with bated breath. She lets go. And fwoomp!

Bullseye. 

Bullseye.

Bullseye. 

Bullseye. 

The attendant’s jaw drops and there are a few cheers around them. Seungwan doesn’t even know when people started watching Joohyun shoot because she’s been watching the woman the whole time. 

“That’s near impossible to do, sunbae, those arrows are always garbage.” Seungwan says in awe. 

Joohyun shrugs. “Sometimes you just have to make the right adjustments. I’m just glad I wasn’t so rusty. I bet I could show Sooyoung a thing or two still.” She smiles nostalgically at the bow before putting it down on the counter. “What prize do you want?” 

Seungwan doesn’t know what to choose because no one has ever won a prize for her before. So Joohyun ends up picking a giant hamster. She pats it on the head saying it looks like Seungwan before patting her cheek affectionately. Seungwan doesn’t think she’s ever been so flustered in her life. 

They make it back to the city for a late dinner. Seungwan takes Joohyun to a tteokbokki place. She doesn’t think twice about how shabby the place is in comparison to what she’d want to take Joohyun to because of how comfortable she’s gotten showing up wherever with Joohyun. Joohyun genuinely enjoys wherever Seungwan takes her. Maybe one day, when Seungwan saves up a bit more, she’ll take Joohyun to a nicer restaurant. 

They’re waiting for their food when a small group comes in, kind of rowdy because they’ve had some drinks. 

Joohyun doesn’t bat an eyelash as she drinks her tea. Seungwan is talking to her about a monologue she wants to practice. They’re engrossed in their own little world until it completely shatters. 

“Seungwan-ah, hahaha, it is you!”

Seungwan feels a chill down her spine at the voice she hasn’t heard from in months. She looks to see Jennie and her gaggle of friends. Jennie is dressed for the club, tight black dress, leather jacket thrown over her shoulder, smoking hot make up. It makes her heart wrench to see the other girl. She sways a bit with a smirk on her face, she’s clearly had a few drinks.

“Jennie…” she greets stupidly quietly. She doesn’t know what to say. She doesn’t know how to feel when it feels like a bandaid has been ripped off on a wound she thought was closed. 

“Figures I’d find you in a place like this,” Jennie haughtily says before scanning her eyes to Joohyun. “I guess the rumors are true, you two are seeing each other.” Joohyun tries to ignore her, paying her any mind as she continues to talk to her. “I’m so sorry she has to take you to these places. She doesn’t understand people’s value sometimes.”

Seungwan shrinks in her seat, thinking about the truth in Jennie’s words. She feels like . Joohyun does deserve a lot more than she can offer. She’s a well off kind of girl with expensive taste in cars and clothing just like Jennie. Maybe it was too good to be true that Seungwan not having much to offer was good enough to make Joohyun like her. 

“But it’s for an assignment isn’t it?” Jennie points out to drive a nail into the coffin. “How much more time do you have to suffer with this one?” 

Seungwan looks down shamefully at the table, unable to raise her head to either woman. She clenches her hands together, trying to stop the sad shaking that happens when she’s about to break down. She thought that getting over Jennie would help her get stronger, but this feels like too much for her to handle. 

Suddenly there’s a hand on hers, unraveling her grasp on herself. Seungwan picks up her head in shock as Joohyun laces their fingers together. 

“Get out,” Joohyun orders, without looking at Jennie. 

“What?” Jennie is shocked. Seungwan is mortified as she tries to pull away from Joohyun but the older woman doesn’t let her go. 

“You know your value and if this place doesn’t suit you, please leave,” Joohyun clarifies with venom. She looks at Seungwan with a small smile. “You’re interrupting our date.” 

Jennie scoffs in disbelief. “Wow, you don’t have to put on an act. I know she’s pitiful but this is unbelievable.” 

Joohyun glares at Jennie. “It’s not an act. Seungwan is a wonderful person to date. If anyone suffered in your relationship, it was her for dealing with you.” Jennie gasps, squaring up to Joohyun, but the older woman is cool as a cucumber. “So I’ll tell you one more time to leave because you are spoiling the mood.”

Jennie looks flustered as she stares at Joohyun, flapping open and close like a fish because she doesn’t know how to counter. She lets out a frustrated screech and turns around to leave with her friends. 

Seungwan can’t believe that just happened. She stares at Joohyun in awe because Joohyun doesn't even register that they leave. The waiter comes back with their food and Joohyun just casually offers her some. 

“Sunbae...you didn’t have to do that,” Seungwan shakily says, still thrown by Jennie’s appearance. She feels like for not doing anything and is embarrassed that Joohyun had to defend her. “I’m sorry you had to speak on my behalf like that.” 

“You should apologize to yourself,” Joohyun says as she grasps Seungwan’s hand tightly. “I used to think that it was your fault that your relationship failed because you were too nice, too kind, and you let people take advantage of you. You apologize for everything that you do because you’re insecure in your position. You’re always concerned about your appearance, the money you have in your wallet, what you can give to someone else.” Seungwan feels hurt by the words but she knows it’s true. She shamefully tries to pull away from Joohyun but the older woman doesn’t let go. “Apologize to yourself because you’re more than how lowly you think of yourself. I can see how well you listen, how considerate you are, and how soothing you are to realize that you're too good of a person.” 

Seungwan feels her heart ache and the tears start to well at how genuinely Joohyun speaks of her. It’s almost undeserving. “Sunbae…” 

“Don’t say anything more to me about the matter,” Joohyun brushes off as she squeezes Seungwan’s hand. 

“But you deserve more than cheap tteokbokki and childish games,” Seungwan utters sadly. 

“So? I like cheap tteokbokki and childish games,” Joohyun counters seriously. “If I didn’t I would tell you, wouldn’t I?” Seungwan nods sheepishly. Joohyun is pretty blunt. “From what I learned about humanity is that humans seek to be loved. You’ve given enough love to someone who won’t receive it, Seungwan, so let her go. 

Let her go so that you can let someone who loves you in.” 

Seungwan swallows thickly. The sadness that she feels in her chest doesn’t weigh too much anymore. The tears that she wants to cry isn’t from loss anymore, but the burden lifting off of her chest. She looks at Joohyun, who stares at her with warmth and tenderness that makes her feel comforted and safe. For the first time in a while, Seungwan feels genuine hope fill her chest. 

Seungwan squeezes Joohyun’s hand tightly and feels secure when Joohyun does the same.