chapter four

deadlier

 

Days passed and everything was back to normal. Yujin just came back from her work. She was alone this time as per Eunbi’s instruction and had to spy a very, very shady senator for three days. She got a few important notes and information so her spying was not put into waste.

 

She went out of the office, just finished reporting to Taeyeon, and the latter gave them another mission. For her and Minjoo. They would fly to Singapore four days from now to check a facility of a certain huge drug manufacturing company since it was believed that they were producing illegal medicines and other drugs. Unfortunately, a South Korean drug manufacturing company was involved with the dealings, they were the ones who ship off dangerous materials to the said company. The both of them were tasked to infiltrate the facility and check.

 

Yujin took out her phone as she rode the elevator, sending a message to Minjoo asking about her whereabouts. The older woman was training for sure but at this time, she was probably done so to double check, she asked. Minjoo replied a few seconds after, telling that she was in the cafeteria, grabbing some snacks.

 

Pocketing her phone back, she made her way towards the cafeteria of the headquarters, making a quick bee-line there.

 

She immediately spotted Minjoo sitting alone on one of the vacant tables, sipping on her iced coffee with an opened pack of gummy bears on the table while fiddling on her phone. The older woman’s hair was tied up into a low ponytail, with her side bangs swept on each side of her face. She was just wearing a black fitted tank top with her flannel shirt tied around her slim waist. Also, she was wearing track pants, and rubber shoes.

 

Ah, really attractive as ever without even making an effort.

 

Yujin sat across from her and Minjoo did not even flinch, taking a long sip before looking up at her. “I got the notes.” She said, showing Minjoo the files and handed them to her.

 

The older woman let go of the straw of her drink, placing the cup to the table before starting to browse through the papers, flipping the papers audibly. Yujin tapped her fingers onto the wooden table, looking around to spot someone familiar around the almost empty cafeteria. She saw Ryujin with Chaeryeong at the side, and she waved at both of them.

 

“Hmm. Interesting. We’ll pretend to be clueless interns.” Minjoo commented, and Yujin nodded at that, almost grabbing Minjoo’s iced coffee and took a sip. Well, thankfully, she had stopped herself from doing that.

 

Old habits were hard to die, for real. There were a lot of times that she almost took Minjoo’s drink and snacks from her because when they used to be lovers, she would nonchalantly take the drink from Minjoo and take a sip from it. Minjoo did not mind that at all, it was actually pretty cute, and it was pretty domestic. They were not disgusted or greedy to share stuff with each other. What Yujin owned was also Minjoo’s, and what Minjoo had was also Yujin’s. However, it was different now.

 

“I’ve discussed with Sakura to help us with the identity and stuff.” Yujin rambled, placing her twitching hand to her lap. She continued to talk about their mission, and Minjoo listened intently as she drank her coffee, commenting and suggesting if necessary.

 

They continued to talk about their plans and arrangements when suddenly, two figures approached them, calling for the younger assassin. “Yujin-ah,”

 

Yujin turned around almost immediately, dropping her pen on the table as she slightly twisted her middle to check the owner of the familiar voice from behind. She lit up when she was greeted by familiar faces.

 

“Oh, Gaeul-unnie. Rei.” Yujin greeted with a cheeky grin, it had been a while since she last saw the two. “What’s up?”

 

Rei approached her, giving her a high-five. Gaeul just chuckled. “We’re good. Pretty busy because of missions and stuff.” She answered. The three of them used to train together alongside the others but they were put in different teams so they rarely interact now but they were still close.

 

“Anyway, I’m actually here for Yena. Did you see that duck? I’m here to pass some blueprints to her.” Gaeul asked, her eyes shifting to Minjoo momentarily before focusing again on Yujin.

 

Yujin shook her head, “No. I haven’t seen that woman. She must be on an undercover mission now. Not so sure though. Check her in the training grounds too, she might be there with Hyewon.” She answered, and Gaeul nodded at that, taking notes mentally before turning again to Minjoo.

 

“And who might be this? This must be your new partner that I’ve heard of?” Gaeul asked with a smile plastered on her face.

 

Yujin nodded. “Ah yes. Gaeul-unnie. Rei. Meet Minjoo, my… new partner. She’s from PNRM.” She introduced them to Minjoo then turned to the latter. “Minjoo, these girls are my friends.”

 

Minjoo gave them a nod, and Rei and Gaeul nodded back then threw her a smile. “Nice to meet you. Please take care of our Yujin-ie here.” The eldest woman teased, and Yujin nudged her with a small ‘hey!’.

 

Rei excused herself, wanting to buy some food already since she was starving. The three just let her waddle away after greeting Minjoo. For some reason, the atmosphere suddenly became slightly heavy.

 

“Ah, by the way,” Gaeul started off, leaning against Yujin’s chair before smiling down at the younger woman. “Still up for a date or am I going to get rejected again?” She said as if Minjoo wasn’t there and it wouldn’t make everything awkward.

 

After all, Gaeul did not know about Minjoo nor her and Yujin’s history. She only knew that Yujin was dating someone before but never got to learn about the identity of the said woman since she was pretty private.

 

Sighing, Yujin scrunched her face up. “Unnie, you’re really persistent.” She commented, not directly giving an answer yet. “I thought you’re over it already.” Her answer made Gaeul laugh so hard that her voice rang around the cafeteria.

 

Gaeul shook her head in amusement, calming down before responding. “Nope. I’m still interested in you, Yujin-ah. I won’t stop asking you until we finally date for real.” She replied with a coo, pinching Yujin’s cheek.

 

It wasn’t a secret that her older friend liked her that way. Gaeul was very vocal and expressive about her crush for Yujin even way before but the latter was not really interested since Gaeul was just really a big sister figure to her. But even so, they were still great friends. At first, Yujin was so uncomfortable with the fact that one of her close friends liked her romantically but she got used to it since Gaeul wasn’t really expecting much, just teasing her every time there was a chance and asking her for some dates from time to time. And of course, Yujin always rejected it.

 

But for some reason, she wanted to accept. Just to see something.

 

Yujin was actually getting a little bit disappointed at Minjoo’s lack of reaction and response as she and Gaeul talked. Hmm, it really looked like Minjoo already moved on from her then? What a shame. Just kidding. It was for the best anyway but still, there was this wrong feeling that was pushing her to test something out.

 

She glanced at Minjoo who was drinking her second cup of iced coffee while checking the papers out before turning to Gaeul again. “You won’t really stop, unnie?” She sighed then shrugged. “What if I accept?”

 

In her peripheral vision, Minjoo froze a bit. Gaeul was taken aback at her response, she was obviously expecting the usual rejection but Yujin was really considering it now. She guffawed. “Oh god, if you accept. I’ll be the happiest woman alive. Our date will be the best date ever.” She answered, throwing a wink at her.

 

Yujin chuckled. Gaeul was actually a good person, she was really that ideal girlfriend and the one who would get to date her would be one of the luckiest. Everyone wanted to date her. Unfortunately for Yujin though, she wasn’t really attracted to the woman despite her being so beautiful and charming.

 

Maybe she and Gaeul would work? They haven’t tried it yet but who knows? Maybe they have a chance. It was a great time to try and start dating again, especially that being with Minjoo was confusing the hell out of her.

 

“I’ll think of it then, it sounds tempting.” Yujin answered with a dimpled smile, trying to sense Minjoo but the latter continued to check out the notes. “I’ll call you later then?”

 

Gaeul beamed at that, reaching for her head then ruffled it. “There’s something with you today. You’re considering going on a date with me. What a miracle. Did you eat something bad or have you finally realized that I’m the one you need?” She half-teased as she wiggled her brows, laughing at her own cheesiness.

 

Yujin shrugged with a knowing smile playing on her lips. She did not answer and Gaeul chuckled, leaning away from Yujin’s seat. “Oh well, I’ll be waiting for your call. I need to go now and find Yena’s . See you around.” She bid her goodbye, rubbing Yujin’s chin softly then her eyes darted to Minjoo. “Nice to meet you again, Minjoo. I’ll be going now.” Minjoo just nodded at her, and Gaeul finally walked away.

 

Clearing , Yujin then started to compile the papers, arranging it nicely while Minjoo just stared at the other side, sipping on her drink until there was no coffee left anymore. She swiftly tossed the empty drink full of melting ice cubes backwards, and it landed directly on the trashcan from a distance.

 

They were pretty much done for the day, and Yujin still had to go somewhere with Sakura. She stood up silently, and glanced at Minjoo who was fixing her bag. Was that appropriate? Considering accepting a date while in front of your ex? Well, not like Minjoo cared. She was calm and unaffected throughout. Yujin tried to get over it, and the both of them silently exited the cafeteria, entering the lobby.

 

Yujin wasn’t really expecting Minjoo to say something so she was surprised that she heard the woman speak up.

 

“Are you really going to have a date with her?”

 

It was just a normal question. It should be. But there was something in her voice that made Yujin slightly tense. She shrugged it off, thinking of it as nothing important.

 

Yujin took a deep breath. “I don’t know. Maybe? It’s been a while since I last went on a date after all. No harm trying,” She said nonchalantly as much as possible.

 

Minjoo hummed, nodding afterwards. “Okay,” She timidly responded then added, “Anyway, I’ll be going to Chaeyeon’s office. Just message me for updates.” She walked in a different direction, not even waiting for Yujin to respond.

 

The younger assassin could only watch her ex-lover walk away again. Yujin was already getting used to the sight of Minjoo walking away even though for some reason, her heart would ache seeing her like that.

 

Did Minjoo’s heart also ache when Yujin walked out of their used to be shared home with her belongings after their break up?

 

She couldn’t help but to think.

 

***

 

“Minjoo, you’re spacing out,”

 

Minjoo flinched when she heard Hitomi’s soft voice, turning her attention back to her friends again. She was greeted by Yuri and Hitomi’s worried gazes. Taking a deep breath, Minjoo just fixed her composure and urged for Yuri to continue her blabbers about stuff but she refused too, staring at her with concerned eyes.

 

“Seriously, when we last met you. You weren’t like this but now… are those ONE assassins mistreating you or what?” Yuri asked instead, her tone was laced with annoyance. Hitomi nodded, seconding the motion. It had been a while since the three of them met, and the other PNRM assassins were not really happy to see that Minjoo was acting a little bit weirder than usual.

 

Minjoo immediately shook her head rapidly to deny it, “No. They’re actually great, everyone is welcoming and nice.” She answered the truth. She was the only additional PNRM assassin in Yujin’s group but even so, the other members treated her well and saw her as a friend. She didn’t feel lonely or left out. She used to envy Yuri and Hitomi since they got in a team together so they got each other but since the others were nice and good people, Minjoo wasn’t that worried for herself anymore.

 

Hitomi gave her a look of disbelief as she took a piece of a cookie, shoving it into . “Then…” She paused momentarily, still looking at Minjoo with a weird stare. She swallowed the food first before continuing, “Is it Yujin?”

 

Minjoo’s face fell. They knew her really well. Of course, they would think that it was Yujin. They knew Yujin personally when the both of them were still a couple and Yujin got along with the two, actually, so much to her shock when they learned that Yujin was also an assassin and she was Minjoo’s partner. What were the odds, really?

 

“I,” Minjoo’s throat dried up so she immediately took a swig of water. “Yeah. I guess so.” She answered, hesitant.

 

Yuri’s eyes glimmered. “Is she giving you a hard time or what? Just because you guys are exes, it doesn’t give her the right to bully you as if you weren’t her world before!” She said, the crumbs of bread that she was chewing flinging towards Minjoo’s face and table, making the latter grimace, hissing at her friend but Yuri just continued to speak with full. “Just tell me Minjoo. I’ll find Yujin in the headquarters and cut her into two!”

 

Minjoo glared at Yuri, wiping off her face. “She’s not, okay?” She grumbled annoyed as she stomped her foot on the ground with a huff. “In fact, she’s such a great assassin. She’s professional at most times. Always saving my all the time as if she wasn’t trying to kill me off before.” added the woman, obviously frustrated for some reason.

 

Yuri and Hitomi also knew that Yujin was actually the ONE assassin that Minjoo used to treat as a pest rival. Their stories never failed to amuse them, only to get the shock of their lives when Minjoo told them that it was actually Yujin. Really, what a coincidence.

 

The foreigner eyed Minjoo, blinking. “Then that’s great. I really should’ve expected that from Yujin. She should treat you like a princess and she’s the guard.” She commented, laughing at her own statement.

 

Both of them were actually happy and relieved to learn that Yujin was treating Minjoo well despite their break-up. Yujin never held grudges and still cared for Minjoo after what happened between them. They knew they could still trust Yujin.

 

“Then what’s the problem, Minjoo? Why are you being like that? When everything between you and Yujin is going great?” Yuri questioned, finally. She was getting impatient and she could see the visible frustration in the older woman’s eyes.

 

There was a silence around their table inside the cafe. Minjoo just stared at them helplessly and the two silently observed their friend, trying to grasp her but failed. With a sigh, Minjoo leaned back to the seat and gritted her teeth softly.

 

“That’s the case. I don’t know what’s wrong but… something that involves Yujin is bothering me.” Minjoo whispered, and anxiously scratched her palm. “I-I can’t explain it but it’s nothing bad but I think it’s not entirely good either.” continued the woman, rambling. Her leg was bouncing up and down.

 

Yuri and Hitomi looked at each other first before silently turning to confused, and frustrated Minjoo. Hitomi spoke first, “Maybe because you two used to be lovers? You feel icky… around her? Something like that? Not entirely comfortable with her because you used to love her with all your might, Minjoo.” She tried to offer something.

 

Minjoo thought of it, sighing. “I think it’s one thing but I’m comfortable around her but even so, it doesn’t feel right. And it’s making me pull away and awkward.” She responded, shaking her head to dismiss the topic but Yuri immediately butted in.

 

“Have you really moved on from her, Minjoo?” Yuri asked, straight and firm, seriousness written all over her face.

 

Minjoo expected for her heart to not react over that question that she heard from them a lot of times — because it never reacted anymore from that question five months after she broke up with Yujin but now, why did it leap? Why did it skip a beat? And why did she hesitate to answer that? Why wasn’t she confident?

 

Clearing , Minjoo looked at her friend ridiculously. “Y-Yes, I fully moved on from her. Both of you guys know that, and witnessed the progress.” She stammered but later on, she spoke with firmness and weak confidence she tried to muster.

 

Hitomi took a deep breath. “Yes. We witnessed you heal and all from the break-up Minjoo. But those feelings… maybe it didn’t vanish at all. You just made yourself believe that it did to save yourself. Maybe those withered feelings were just buried and now that you’re once again spending time with Yujin — they are intensifying again, growing alive back again, and slithering around your scarred heart.” She said softly, just trying to help Minjoo but it was a wrong move, it made the latter even more confused at her feelings and she became aggressive.

 

“Foolishness!” Minjoo snapped, clenching her fists. “I moved on. I know that, Hii-chan. I knew my feelings better than anybody.” She continued, and then growled, “I don’t love her anymore. I don’t have any feelings left for Yujin anymore. That is for sure.”

 

But those words, it felt like she was just trying to convince herself, tell herself that — not tell Yuri and Hitomi. To make herself feel better. No. It was the truth. She was sure of that.

 

Surprised at the sudden outburst, Yuri and Hitomi were speechless, staring at their friends with wide eyes. Minjoo caught herself, taking a deep breath and drank her water until there was no more left in the glass anymore. She was embarrassed for shouting like that to her friends, she looked at them guiltily and apologetically.

 

The two understood though they were just trying to help with Minjoo’s little crisis. With a sigh, Minjoo wiped her whole face with her palm frustratingly. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have raised my voice.” She apologized quickly then stood up from her seat. “Let’s meet again sometime soon. I’ll just get some fresh air. Sorry again.” And before Hitomi or Yuri could even speak, Minjoo already fled away, leaving the two watching her walk away just like that.

 

Minjoo walked down to the busy streets aimlessly with head full of thoughts. She sighed, and continued to walk to get her mind off the gutter. Everything was overwhelming for some reason, and she couldn’t keep up.

 

She continued waddling over until she found herself at the Han River Park, a great breather. The sun was about to set already, and Minjoo never felt this peaceful. She strided, just leaving everything to her feet that was leading her to random places. She had no exact location in mind.

 

But then, that peace did not last long because the least person she wanted to meet was also in the park, and she was with someone familiar. Minjoo stopped on her tracks, eyeing them from afar.

 

It was Yujin and Gaeul. They were also in the park, walking while eating ice cream and happily conversing. Wow, so Yujin did accept the date offer. Good for her then. Minjoo watched for a few moments, realizing that the both of them looked really good.

 

Yujin was smiling genuinely at the older woman as Gaeul talked animatedly at something, even using gestures to make everything more exaggerated. Minjoo could see how deep those dimples were from her spot, and she was glad then. Yujin was really enjoying the date with Gaeul, it may seem.

 

Minjoo looked away, and continued to walk, not minding them anymore, finding herself walking out of the park. Away from Yujin and Gaeul.

 

Hmm. Maybe she also needed a date. Yeah, she needed a date for sure. A distraction.

 

***

 

Yujin disassembled the gun, and assembled it back again as fast as she could. She was very bored, and was hanging around the training grounds to help Chaeyeon train some new recruits but they were currently having a break after training for hours non-stop. She took pity on the kids who were struggling and panting, exhaustion visible on their faces.

 

Yujin usually volunteers to train the new recruits and juniors, every assassin could do so if they wanted to help.

 

Ah, brought back memories when she was still training to be an assassin. Those were the most difficult moments of her life because it was really intense and harder than any military training but she was proud of what she achieved today. She loved being an assassin. This job was really for her. Though it was out of ordinary and terrifying, she loved the thrill and just simply being extraordinary made her feel better.

 

She was an orphan, and ONE took her in when she was still a naive child. At first, she did not like it — this assassin stuff took her childhood away, she was always training to be something more above and skilled than normal humans. She cried herself to sleep while experiencing pain all around her body but soon, she came to love it, she became passionate with it. At first, ONE gave her a month and if she couldn’t handle it then she would stop and send her back. They usually do that for the recruits, they could quit because they do not train cowards and unpassionate people.

 

Yujin still went on further, same with her friends. And now, she was successful and living her life.

 

Okay, enough of reminiscing. Time was ticking, and they needed to continue training. Chaeyeon and Yujin said that they should prepare since they were about to continue their intense training.

 

The younger spy trained the juniors how to assemble a gun. She also taught them how to use knives, giving them pro tips, and where to strike correctly in certain dire situations. She asked for a brave student to step in and handed him a knife, telling him to hit her if he could.

 

This trainee was very determined and competitive, Yujin saw herself in him. His moves were quick and he was smart but still inexperienced even though he had the knowledge. His body was still clumsy and stiff so he did not manage to hit Yujin at all, and the latter slapped the knife away from his hold. He was defeated, walking out with a pout on his face.

 

Yujin just chuckled, assuring him that she would be as great as her sooner. And that ignited the flames in his eyes once again.

 

In the middle of the training, however, Yena barged into the training grounds, looking like she was in a hurry and serious. She approached Yujin, holding her shoulder. “Boss Kim is asking for our team. It’s urgent. An emergency.” She said fast and Yujin immediately dropped the knife away, looking serious then glanced at Chaeyeon. The latter knew what it meant, just nodding.

 

After that Yena and Yujin bolted out of the training grounds, rushing towards Taeyeon’s office. Emergency calls like this were rare and if it happened, then something serious probably happened or was happening.

 

When they reached the office, everyone was already there, including Minjoo who was looking alerted and serious. Taeyeon stood by the desk with Eunbi beside her, her face was grim and unreadable. “Okay, everyone is here.” She said, and collected the papers. “I’ll get straight to the point, no time to lose,”

 

“We received a report that there will be a bomb attack in Suwon.” Taeyeon announced, and the projector showed the details. “They’re already planting the bomb there. They’re currently in the underground of this abandoned building that we owned. The police don’t have the report yet since it’s strictly discreet but since we got the information from a spy, we’ll act fast. Behind this bombing is that freaking annoying syndicate leader that the police couldn’t even catch. He’s doing this because he had some beef with our organization after I refused to take his wanted to another country. He also kidnapped a hostage, it’s Governor Song — we need him back because he knows a lot of information that will help us locate an illegal firearm manufacturing firm.”

 

The others listened intently, already preparing their own selves.

 

Taeyeon sharply looked at them, wearing a scowl, obviously displeased at what was happening. “The lot is wide and if the bomb ever exploded, there won’t be many people going to be harmed but it’ll create a huge ruckus and it’s guaranteed that it’ll destroy our property. It’s also our reserved hide-out so I won’t let that dickface destroy . This is long overdue, I should’ve killed his a long time ago when I busted his facility of illegal drugs.” She hissed, and then continued to discuss the plan.

 

“I want you to defuse the bomb or get rid of it and kill those bastards without mercy. Also, take the hostage out of that building, alive.”

 

Once Taeyeon finished the discussion, everyone rushed towards the locker room of their team to get their suits and weapons. They all prepared fast like lightning and once they were heavily equipped, they rode the van, and Yena drove as fast as she could — beating the red light without fear. Those traffic rules didn’t apply to them anymore.

 

As they drove there, Sakura prepared the monitors, already starting to hack the CCTVs there. Yujin cocked her run and plugged her earpiece to her right ear then checked the rifles. There were about a hundred men there for sure so they needed to be ready.

 

They stopped by the gates of the abandoned building, and there were no men around. They probably didn’t expect to be caught, to be honest, but every member of the syndicate group was present. There were a lot of vans parked outside and their vehicle blended in very well.

 

Everyone double checked their weapons. Sakura took her headphones off for a second, glancing at them. “I’ll try my best to be a support from here. Please, be careful. For some reason, I have a bad feeling about this. I’ll do my best to locate the bomb but I’m pretty confident that it’ll be on the very last floor and somewhere in the middle part.” She said, and everyone nodded, stealthily hopping out of the van.

 

Yujin placed a silencer in her rifle, and looked at everyone. They signaled to each other and they understood each other quite well without words. They needed to be quiet as much as possible. This kind of mission was really making Yujin feel like she was part of the FBI or police group, and not an assassin but then, they were flexible. This was technically an assassination too, anyway.

 

Chaewon gestured something. Yena and Hyewon followed her, and Yujin went over to the other side, pulling Minjoo with her since the latter was a little bit lost. “You’ll be with me, of course.” She whispered to the older woman. “They’ll be infiltrating the front and we’ll be at the back. Let’s go.” She instructed, and the both of them stealthily made their way to the back side of the lot.

 

“Blue? Are you and White on the way?” Yena’s voice could be heard from the earpiece, and Yujin hummed, crouching by the wall for a moment, and Minjoo followed.

 

“Yes, Yellow. We’re already at the back entrance. The gate here was busted down. What’s the situation there?” Yena asked in a hushed voice.

 

Codenames were necessary in team operations too, of course. And they used colors as code names instead because when they were young and still trainees, they already planned about having their favorite colors as their codenames. And once Minjoo got into the team, the latter picked ‘White’ like Yujin had expected.

 

“We already spotted some men.” Yena paused.

 

Then, Hyewon’s voice could be heard instead. “We’ll silently attack now. Let’s just meet at the lobby of the upper underground floor before we go down.” She instructed.

 

“Copy,” Minjoo was the one who answered, and swiftly went inside. Yujin just followed helplessly.

 

They hid behind a car when they saw two men going outside the building. Yujin immediately went to the side, laying on her stomach as she readied her gun, looking at the scope. Minjoo did the same, she remained standing and peeked by the hood of the car.

 

“You take the left, I take the right.” Yujin murmured softly, and Minjoo hummed. “Shoot.” She signalled, and pulled the trigger at the same time as Minjoo.

 

The two men got hit square in the chest, immediately falling down to the ground softly. After that, Yujin scrambled onto her feet and ran towards the lifeless body with Minjoo and grabbed each of them, tugging them out of the way with brute strength, hiding the bodies in the overgrown grass. It might alert the others if they would let the dead bodies stay there — it could be seen by the archway already and if they saw it, they would be alarmed and take cover behind the walls or worse, alert other guys. The both of them would have a harder time if ever. The blood was still there but since it was dark, one might just mistake it for mud.

 

Both of them hid by the destroyed wall since she heard multiple voices from inside the building, and a few seconds after, three men appeared. The one went over the right while smoking, the other one went over the pillar, seemingly going to take a pee. The last one though, he was looking around, inspecting the surroundings — and he looked down, spotting the pool of blood and immediately went there to check it. Yujin shot him in the head immediately, and Minjoo shot the one who was peeing on the wall.

 

The man who was smoking flinched, alerted, and was about to take the gun from his belt but Yujin shot him immediately. “Should we take the corpses away?” Minjoo asked, and Yujin shook her head, standing up to check if there were still men lingering around the area.

 

“No. We enter.” Yujin firmly said, and Minjoo complied.

 

They entered the dark hall illuminated by the moonlight and flickering, weak LED lights. Yujin hid and crouched at the right side, and Minjoo hid at the left wall, peeking in the hallway. They heard distinct laughter from a distance, and they looked at each other, readying their guns.

 

“Scarlet, Mint, Yellow? You guys good?” Yujin whispered, holding the earpiece, and waited for the others’ response. It was really dead silent at the other side so she was already getting nervous.

 

Chaewon answered, much to her relief. “Yes. We’re by the entrance already. Killed four already. I think soon enough, they’ll notice as we approach closer so please, be careful Blue, White.” She answered.

 

Minjoo replied with a hum then said, “We already killed five. Currently hanging around the kitchen. You guys too, please. Be more careful.” After that, they continued to advance forward, crouching and hiding behind the old, dirty counter of the kitchen. The place looked really haunted and eerie but this was nothing new to the both of them.

 

Even the scaredy cat Minjoo was used to this already.

 

“Blue, White. Three men are approaching your location. Right side.” Sakura’s voice could be heard from the earpiece, and Yujin twisted the silencer that was attached to the muzzle of her rifle — double checking if it was still intact.

 

“Thank you for the heads up, Pink.” Minjoo thanked Sakura and positioned herself by the counter, resting the base of her gun to the edge, going for a surprise attack and Yujin smiled at that, letting Minjoo take care of those bad boys.

 

The three men entered the kitchen, probably going outside. They were laughing and holding rifles also but they were distracted and did not even notice a gun pointing in their direction because of the dimness too. In a blink, they were already piled up by the archway, dead and massive pool of blood tainting the dirty, unscrubbed floor.

 

Yujin whistled, finding that a little bit attractive. Minjoo killing men when Yujin thought that she couldn’t even hurt a fly? Heh, it was really a sight. Her ex was really full of surprises. It wasn’t her first time witnessing Minjoo killing off people when they became partners but witnessing her killing bad guys was making her amused and amazed for some reason.

 

“Another two at the left,” Sakura’s voice entered Yujin’s ears, and instinctively turned to the other way, spotting two men already entering the kitchen. Yujin shot them nicely and cleanly.

 

She and Minjoo looked at each other, nodding before rushing towards the other room. Swiftly hiding behind a pillar after they heard multiple footsteps from the distance and disappeared, they then heard the gunshot noises from the other side of the place. Well, the real fight finally had begun, then?

 

Yujin moved first, and she spotted three men rushing out from a certain room. They saw Yujin, ready to shoot her but she got them first, shooting them on their heads. One of them managed to take a shot but the bullet from Yujin’s gun pierced his head already when he fired, and the shot landed on the wall beside Yujin instead.

 

The two of them moved to the left wing, and were greeted by men who had their guns ready. Yujin and Minjoo swiftly moved to the side, hiding at each pillar, using it as a cover. They flinched when the enemies started to fire, creating cracks to the pillar, thankfully, it was thick enough to shield them from the shower of bullets.

 

With a hiss, Yujin immediately shot back once she heard the reloading of guns and Minjoo did the same, rapidly firing at the enemies. They were instantly dead, and Yujin and Minjoo continued to move forward.

 

They bumped into a few men on the way, and Yujin didn’t hesitate to use a pistol when they were too close. Minjoo did the same, using pistols now that they were walking into an enclosed corridor. Thanks to Sakura’s guidance, they safely made it but soon, the connection started to go choppy and Yujin heard Sakura cursing and saying that someone was trying to cut their connection, telling them to hold on for a bit and she would fix it quickly.

 

When they exited the corridor, they were surprised by a guy with a knife, Yujin just smoothly prevented him from piercing the knife towards them, holding his arm tightly then twisted it in one motion. The guy let out a scream of agony as his arm got twisted badly. Yujin landed a quick punch on his face and he was knocked out on the floor, drooling.

 

But then, another man suddenly appeared, ready to pounce on Yujin but Minjoo quickly moved, shooting him in the middle — making him stop, slowly looking at his bleeding stomach. Yujin snorted, kicking him at his crotch and he was curling like a ball on the side, begging for his life as blood continuously flowed out. The two paid no mind to him and continued.

 

Yujin reloaded her gun. Same for Minjoo. The both of them only had limited magazines, and they reserved this for the bloodbath later. For sure, when they reach the lobby — there would be a lot of them.

 

As they approached the lobby, they stumbled into a few bad guys. Yujin decided not to use guns and drew out her blade, attacking the guys. Minjoo supported her, shooting them square on the head or face, expertly avoiding Yujin even though she was close with the targets. That was how great Minjoo was with long range shooting and Yujin trusted her too much. Their teamwork was solid and they killed six men easily.

 

After piercing her knife to the tall man’s throat, she pulled it out then bent down to wipe the blood off with his suit before tucking it back to her pants. Minjoo trailed after her, and they reached the lobby. There was a staircase and they were on the balcony. They looked over and saw a lot of men scattered around the area, dead and alive while struggling to fight with three petite women.

 

Yujin was comfortable with close range attacks so she immediately said to Minjoo, “I’ll go down and attack. You stay and shoot from here. Alright?” She said, and once Minjoo nodded and positioned herself at the railing — Yujin went down with her pistol and knife, her rifle placed at the back. She was faster with close range too and it was her forte so she entered the battlefield without fear. And seeing that most of the guys were not holding a gun but bats and knives, Yujin was confident.

 

She pounced on the first guy that was by the middle of the staircase, slicing his neck and shot the other one who was at the bottom of the stairs. There were just ten left and it was an absolute massacre. These men weren’t properly trained with firearms or any martial arts, making their jobs easier.

 

The one hiding behind the huge statue tried to shoot her but failed, she dodged it and slid on the floor. Minjoo shot him for her. She threw a grin at her ex-lover from below and continued to help to attack the horde of enemies. Bloody hell. These s didn’t have a chance against the five of them.

 

Unfortunately, one of them got Yujin. He tugged at her from behind through her rifle, and she got dragged. The strap of the rifle snapped from Yujin’s resistance, and she turned ready to shoot him but the guy was skilled, pushing her hand down and the bullet went to the floor. He then landed a punch on Yujin’s face, and he was really fast.

 

With a growl, she fought back but he was really indeed skilled unlike those braindogs. Running out of patience, Yujin threw his knife in his direction to distract and continued to fire at him but the man rolled away, dodging the bullets. Yujin swiftly reloaded, getting surprised when a vase was thrown at her side. She glared at him, running towards his direction while shooting him.

 

Finally, Yujin got him after she kicked the table that he was using as a cover. Shooting him on the head while he was trying to crawl and get the stray handgun.

 

Yujin looked around, and saw that everyone was done fighting. Minjoo ran down, apologizing that she didn’t manage to support her much because she was busy protecting the others — Hyewon had an injury but she insisted that she could still fight. Everyone had scratches, bruises, and minor injuries after the fight and for sure, a lot would be intense once they reach the lower floor.

 

They were confident that the bomb wasn’t ticking yet. The leader was definitely still in this place and he would not do anything yet because he was still here. He wouldn’t dare to commit suicide. Sakura told them that after he got captured by one of the CCTVs. He surely looked annoyed and panicked though because ONE assassins were surely fast.

 

Sakura also assured that the hostage was still alive because she saw him getting dragged into another room with two guys. They were trapped below, and there was no exit or they would need to face the assassins. They did not take the risk, it may seem.

 

They definitely underestimated these assassins, thinking they would be killed by those mindless, idiot men who could only use guns to intimidate people. One assassin felt like it was equivalent to ten well-trained soldiers and martial artists.

 

“We split up again from here and find the bomb.” Yena instructed, panting as she threw her empty rifle away and wiped her dirty face that was lightly covered by blood mixed with sweat and gunpowder.

 

They all nodded, and readied once again. No break for these operatives until they finish this mission. And before they went on their way, Yujin told them, “Y’all. Please don’t get killed.” She said playfully but she meant it. Missions like this were dangerous, even though she was confident at her friends’ skills — she was still worried that they might die for real with one wrong move.

 

She witnessed some of her comrades fall before and if that ever happened to them then her heart wouldn’t be able to take it.

 

The three of them lazily smiled at her. Hyewon snorted, throwing a wink. “Of course. Stay alive, you two. We’re still planning to have a trip to France soon.” She sheepishly said, and exchanging smiles at each other, they finally went down to the lower floor — splitting into two groups like earlier. Yena’s team ran on the left while Yujin and Minjoo on the right.

 

The partners reached the hallway and were surprised by heavily armed men. Yujin made a quick decision since they were prepared to launch fire at them — she immediately pushed Minjoo with her towards the room beside them. Because of the impact, they both landed on the floor, with Yujin on top and Minjoo below her but the both of them couldn’t react at it any more especially when the men started to openly fire at the hallway, missing them completely though.

 

Both of them flinched at the loud sounds. Yujin gathered herself up, and helped Minjoo to stand onto her feet — dragging her further inside the room that looked like a lab. The both of them barely dodged the bullets, ducking behind the huge counter for cover. Empty beaker and tube glasses displayed on the shelves started to shatter when the bullets hit them, the pieces landing on Yujin and Minjoo. They hissed, using their arms as shields before getting their guns, and started to shoot while moving. They exchanged fires until they reached the other counter; Yujin fumbled over her belt, grabbing the smoke grenade — she then rolled it to the other side, and once it exploded, emitting smoke around the lab, she dragged Minjoo out while gesturing for her to cover her nose because it had strong poisonous gas inside. They exited out of the room quickly, and closed it before running to the other door to close it too then fled away, leaving the men coughing and gasping for their lives inside the lab, trapped.

 

“Ah, my earpiece got busted after I slammed on the floor,” Minjoo winced, taking off the sparking earplug then threw it away, still jogging towards the empty hallway with Yujin. “Still got some bullets left?” She asked as she cocked her pistol.

 

Yujin sighed, shaking her head, annoyed. “I lost the mags after I rolled, damn it. This rifle is useless now.” She whispered, and Minjoo rolled her eyes.

 

“Then make it useful, genius.” The older assassin retorted, and another batch of armed men blocked their way on the hallway.

 

Minjoo and Yujin stopped, halting their steps, and posed a stance. They observed their enemies first — unlike the men earlier who brought huge firearms, they were just holding a pistol, bats, and knives. They did not attack, just standing at their spots too while tightly holding their weapon; the man who was holding the pistol aimed at Minjoo.

 

Gulping, Minjoo slightly turned her head on Yujin’s side. They were not wearing any protective gear like a bulletproof vest so if this man shot her, there was a slim chance that she would be able to dodge it because of the enclosed space.

 

“Drop your gun!” The man with the handgun shouted, and slowly, the two of them exchanged glances then peeled off the weapons off their bodies. Yujin tightly held on her rifle, and bent down with an intent on placing it on the floor but then, she saw an opening — the man who was holding the pistol was staring at Minjoo, and his aim was still pointed at her so she took that as her chance.

 

Yujin grabbed the of the rifle and threw it towards the guy with all her might. It hit his hand, making the pistol fly from his grip with a groan. Minjoo surged forward, having a hand to hand combat with the red haired guy with the knife, swiftly dodging his attacks while Yujin also ran, kicking the other. She did not see the guy with the bat though, he managed to hit her side — with a hiss, she blocked the next hit with her bare hands, and forcefully took the metal bat away from his hold, ignoring the pain on her side then angrily swung the bat on the attacker’s face.

 

She dropped the bat and was about to help Minjoo who was having a hard time dealing with the other enemy. She spotted a cut on Minjoo’s arm, bleeding a bit. It was understandable that Minjoo was getting sluggish now after what they dealt with previously.

 

But before she could take a step, one of the syndicate members reached out, trapping her between the rifle and his chest. Yujin huffed, feeling her breathing getting ragged and her chest was getting heavier because of the rifle that was harshly pressed on her front. Yujin took a deep breath and gathered her strength — pushing him backwards until he hit the wall, and once the grip loosened a bit, Yujin took that chance and squirmed away from his grip; taking the rifle with her and smashed it into the man’s skull, instantly knocking him down.

 

Panting heavily, she saw Minjoo struggling. It looked like he got some skills that he was able to face Minjoo for a few minutes, still. Yujin gritted her teeth, grabbing a stray pistol and tucked it in her holster before putting him in a surprise chokehold.

 

Minjoo did the honor to twist his head violently, killing him in an instant.

 

They exchanged glances, and Minjoo picked up a pistol lying around the floor. “We must be near, let’s go.” She huffed, and they continued to run until the very end of the hallway after checking the rooms out to see if they planted some explosives there, entering a place that looked like a metal warehouse.

 

They weren’t even surprised when they reached the very bottom of the noisy, rusty metal stairs — armed men started to go out from their hiding spots and started to shower them with bullets. They all have rifles. Minjoo pulled Yujin with her behind the huge metal container for cover, and they could only flinch at loud noises of bullets hitting metal entering their ears.

 

Both of them sat there, trying to think of a quick plan to escape or beat these motherers down. Minjoo was obviously running out of ideas and options, slowly losing hope as she scooted closer to Yujin, pushing herself even closer as the firing continued.

 

“Oh good lord, are we going to die?” Minjoo asked, visible panic was visible in her beautiful face smeared with gunpowder, dirt, blood, and sweat.

 

Yujin took a deep breath, “Hell no.” She said, and seeing the older woman like this was making her think irrationally and unclearly. She did not know Minjoo could be this negative! Yujin was ready to die but not together with Minjoo. Both would survive no matter what.

 

“Look at our situation. They are inching closer to us now. We have no rifle and all we have is a knife and pistols with five bullets left.” Minjoo hissed at her ear, and Yujin bit her lower lip, cupping Minjoo’s face and looked at her seriously,

 

“We will freaking live, okay? Tough up, baby.” Yujin said, trying to assure Minjoo even though she was panicking as well. “Let’s not panic and try to think fast and straight. Come on, babe. You have a y brain. Use it well.” Wow, she still managed to halfly joke around like this. The pet names… they came out naturally but Minjoo did not mind it.

 

Minjoo’s stare hardened. “Before we ing die, tell me why did you accept Gaeul-ssi’s date offer, in front of me even? Are you out of your mind!?” She growled, and slapped Yujin’s arm. The latter hissed at her, looking at her while cradling her arm with an irked yet amused look.

 

“Jesus Christ, Minjoo. How about just think of how we would be able to escape this bullet showering madness instead of unimportant ones?” Yujin grumbled under her breath. Minjoo realized that she still had this grenade with her. This could cause a small explosion and distract the enemies — eliminate some of them even.

 

She took it out from her belt and handed it to Yujin.

 

Yujin was reluctant to use it since the enemies were scattered and they might use it later to breach a door or wall but living mattered more. She held the small grenade tightly and pulled the ring, throwing it away — passing by the container then rolled to the middle, before anyone could react; it exploded.

 

The explosion caught Yujin and Minjoo off guard, making the heart jump even though they already covered their ears. No time to be shocked, and moved — doing their best to kill off the enemies with the available weapons. Minjoo managed to get a loaded rifle that was thrown to the side, and started to fire mercilessly.

 

Yujin went over to the other corner and swiftly took a rifle too, shooting. Soon enough, there were another multiple footsteps clanking above and three figures appeared — they were Chaewon, Yena, and Hyewon, thankfully. They also helped to shoot off those bastards and in no time, it was silent — lifeless bodies were scattered around the metal floor but they paid no mind to it and huddled to a double metal door. Okay, for sure, there was where the bomb was located and that syndicate leader and the hostage were probably there too since the three reached this far too.

 

They checked each other. Everyone looked exhausted and burnt out but they have no time for breaks or to stop, they have someone and a building to save. If they wouldn’t be able to take the bomb away then there might be some civilians who were going to get involved with it.

 

Chaewon’s head was bleeding but she insisted on coming, and Yena did not stop her girlfriend. This was their job after all, death was inevitable and in their job, death was literally knocking at their door so they were prepared to meet him if ever. But of course, they do not want to welcome death sooner. They still have plans.

 

Yena had an injury from the back, and Hyewon looked limp already, getting pale after she got stabbed but the wound wasn’t too deep and she covered it with a cloth already to prevent from excessive bleeding but despite being in great pain, Hyewon continued to fight like a true assassin, a warrior.

 

“There might be another batch of men inside that room.” Yena tiredly said, and Yujin almost threw a tantrum.

 

“I just know we killed a hundred already, good lord. Are they multiplying or what?” Yujin whined, reloading her gun. She got another magazine from Hyewon.

 

Minjoo snorted, and took a step back from the door. She just attached an explosive from Chaewon to the handle of the double door. “Alright. Step back everybody, I’ll press the button.” She warned them, and the others immediately took a step back, leaning against the wall and once they were set — Minjoo pressed the button of the explosive, starting the countdown of the trigger before rushing to cover behind the wall.

 

It exploded, and the metal doors were breached successfully, hanging loosely from its hinges, and once the smoke disappeared. They signalled to each other and entered, pointing pistols around. It was just another storage-like room but smaller.

 

And they saw the hostage at the corner, tied up on a chair with tape on his mouth, looking very terrified for his life and crying. The room was silent, and there was no sign of anyone. Did the leader escape? Was this a trap? Or was he hiding, there were a lot of hiding spots here, there were small containers scattered around the room and big plastic drums. There were some desks too, chairs, and some empty bottles of alcoholic beverages.

 

They continued to observe, the eerie silence made the hair on the back of their neck stand up. It didn’t feel right at all. The hostage showed no clue where the last enemies were hiding, just staring at them with wide, terrified eyes.

 

Yujin moved to the hostage, and the others circled her, pointing their weapon in different directions. The youngest in the team took out the knife from her boot and swiftly sliced the tie around his body and took out the tape from his mouth — the bald, fat governor gasped, breathing heavily.

 

“Goodness gracious!” He exclaimed, looking thankful at the rescuers.

 

Minjoo walked up to him, grasping at his collar. “Where are the other ones—”

 

Explosion.

 

There was an explosion on the other side of the building. The abandoned, old place shook because of that, and the assassins flinched at the huge noise, followed by something huge crumbling down to the ground. Sakura’s voice could be heard again in their muffled earpieces.

 

“There— …. Zzzzz — Bomb! Wwwww. GET OUT OF THERE, NOW!” Sakura’s frantic voice made the women panic even more, looking at each other with wide eyes.

 

“Are the bombs planted at the side all along?” Chaewon asked, annoyed at their miscalculation and assumption. They managed to trick Sakura big time too. He wasn’t stupid like they were expecting, he was just laidback and confident that the assassins were not going to survive. The hostage governor almost peed in his pants, begging for the assassins to move and save his already.

 

Minjoo’s face went grim, the rock high ceiling shook, and a few bits of pebbles started to fall down. This building would not be able to stand for too long. They needed to rush or the floors above them would collapse and crush them. “We need to get out—”

 

“There is another smaller bomb planted at each side.” Another unfamiliar, gruff voice piped in. “The middle is too predictable. We just huddled here to trick and trap you.”

 

The assassins immediately searched where that voice came from and when they looked up, there was a man standing by the small balcony. He was the leader of the syndicate group. He was not alone, there were two men at each of his sides, holding rifles.

 

Yujin’s lips twitched. There he was. She scanned his expression and his face was scrunched up into an annoyed scowl. One could tell that he was not impressed at the sudden turn of events — he did not expect that the assassins were able to catch them fast and on top of it all, just six of them… killing almost a hundred people. He underestimated them big time.

 

The leader sneered at them, scoffing as he shook his head. “You guys are such troublesome pests.” said the man, his deep voice echoing around the place. “You wiped out all of my men!” He childishly shouted and slapped the metal railing. “I just want to get out of this damned country! you, Kim Taeyeon!” He whined, stomping his feet on the floor like a child throwing a tantrum after his mom did not let him buy a new toy.

 

The assassins watched him, dumbfounded. The governor just hid behind Yena, shaking as he peeked from her head, staring at the syndicate leader in horror. Of course, he would be trembling in fear to see the mastermind of the mess, he was kidnapped by him after all.

 

“Ah, I will surely bomb ONE Headquarters once I find it. No hesitation.” He continued to ramble, sighing exaggeratedly before shaking his head.

 

That comment made them alert, positioning their weapons and they saw the guards shifted, also aiming at them. The syndicate leader just snorted while staring at them, scratching his chin. “I’m pretty much impressed. You are all slim, fragile-looking women. Who knew that these dolls could kill a hundred armed men? Wow, I was surprised, I might say. I was so taken aback that I really panicked and was unable to think of a backup plan fast. I thought you guys wouldn’t be able to step on the lower floor.” He explained, clicking his tongue then caressed his short beard thoughtfully. “Never I have expected this, really. I thought it only happened in movies but I’m one of the witnesses of this. Surely, you guys are really skilled, very skilled.” complimented the man with a sweet, fake cooing voice.

 

His eyes then visibly darkened. “But,” He paused, giving out a cheshire grin. “This is your end.” The man continued, and flicked his fingers — one of the guards gave him something, looking like a detonator.

 

“I also planted another bomb in the main city~” He sang, and everyone froze. Yujin held back a growl on the back of .

 

“If you guys can get the detonator from me or destroy it before I escape from this hellhole then the city is pretty much safe, then.” He added, and wiggled on the switch playfully on his hold before tucking it inside his vest with a smirk.

 

The syndicate leader then threw a wink. “Come and get it~” He said, and let out a boisterous laugh before gesturing something to one of the guards. The mentioned one took out something from his pocket and pressed it — instantly, there was another explosion at the other side of the building.

 

The assassins stumbled onto their feet, the building really shook and huge pieces of rocks from the ceiling were falling down and a big one almost crushed them if they did not dodge quickly.

 

“Christ, we need to get out of here.” Yena whispered then hissed at the governor who was clinging to her while crying.

 

All of them watched the syndicate leader disappear with a laugh. He was trying to escape but at the same time, trying to lure them into following him. They needed to make a decision.

 

“He got the detonator for the bomb planted blocks away from the main city.” Hyewon frantically said. They were panicking.

 

Yujin’s face hardened and after a beat. “I’ll chase after him and try to kill him and get the detonator.” She said in a firm, finalized tone.

 

Everyone looked at her as if she was crazy. Minjoo frowned at her ex-lover. “Are you insane? This place is going to blow up. You won’t survive if you fight them. Basically a suicide, Yujin. You four will get trapped either way if you try to stop them.” She reasoned out.

 

“I’ll find a way. You guys rush out of this freaking hell and try to locate the planted bomb in the city. Go!” Yujin’s mind was already set and she was going to chase them alone.

 

Hyewon eyed her. “You’re going to chase them alone?” Yujin nodded, snatching Yena’s loaded pistol from her hold.

 

Minjoo gave her a hard glare. “I’ll go with you. I’m your partner.” She said but Yujin firmly shook her head.

 

“No. Only one sacrifice is needed. You guys go.” Yujin murmured, and Minjoo’s heart really stopped beating at the word.

 

Of course, chasing the syndicate leader down would be a freaking suicide. A sacrifice and Yujin was willing. Out of five of them, she was still in shape to fight and suffered less injuries. The others did not stop her because they knew, in order for most of them to survive, save the city, and complete the mission, one would stay back and risk it.

 

All of them wanted to protest but this was how it was, an assassin rule. If they knew there was no chance, and if one wanted to try and risk for the others’ safety then do not hold them back. Assassins were raised to be brave so that even death couldn’t faze them anymore. However, Minjoo wasn’t having any of that.

 

“Bull. I’m your partner so I will go with you,” She reasoned out but Yujin just held her shoulder, eyeing her with an intense gaze. Minjoo did not back down, looking at her ex-lover with the same intensity.

 

“I’ll rather not risk it, Minjoo.” Yujin softly said, in contrast to her extreme gaze. Her tone was pleading and that made Minjoo angry, glaring at her. “You rush out of this building with them. I’ll live.”

 

“Shut up!” Minjoo exploded, her eyes were already getting teary. “I won’t freaking let you die in here! The chance of you reaching out to this building alive is very slim. I’ll rather die—”

 

“Minjoo, there’s no time to argue with this anymore. I want you all to survive!” Yujin cut her off, frustrated. Her eyes then went soft, and almost begging. “I will escape this madness smoothly, okay? I’ll be back in one piece.” She assured her and she was lying through her teeth. She wasn’t sure if she could still escape since the chasing might take awhile. Would she break another promise she had said to Minjoo?

 

Minjoo’s lips quivered, a tear finally fell from her eye as she shook her head. “I just don’t want to lose you again, Yujin. I don’t want to lose you permanently this time.” She breathlessly whispered and Yujin’s heart shattered into pieces — she pulled her ex-lover for a hug, pressing a kiss on the side of her head, her shoulders slumping tiredly.

 

“You won’t, baby,” Yujin shakily mumbled, tightening her hold. “You won’t. I will get out of this crumbling place. Detonator destroyed and unable to be used to trigger the bomb. Hmm?” She promised softly, and she looked up at Yena and Chaewon, giving the signal.

 

“I still want to be with you—”

 

“I’m sorry, my love but no,” Yujin cut Minjoo off and pushed her away.

 

Minjoo looked at her with wide, annoyed eyes. She was about to protest but then, Yena and Chaewon grabbed each of her arms. She was surprised, trying to get out from the iron grip but they did not budge, just dragging her slowly. “Stop, no! Get off me! Please. Yujin, let me come with you!” She begged but Yujin’s face was blank, shaking her head softly.

 

“Please, rush out before a boulder can fall and crush you guys to death. Or worse, get trapped.” Yujin said, and nodded towards her friends, turning her back.

 

Minjoo went absolutely feral but Yena and Chaewon’s grip was stronger. Both of them dragged her limp body away from that room, and Minjoo literally raged when Yujin gave her a one last smile before turning her back and then climbed the stairs at full speed, not turning her back anymore.

 

That might be the last time they would see each other.

 

***

 

Minjoo kept resisting once they entered the busted hallway, growling and screaming for them to let her go and be with Yujin. If Yujin would die then might as well die with her. She tried to escape the hold by fighting the two, already out of her mind but Yena just kneed her on the stomach and all the strength she gathered faded away, replaced by pain.

 

“Sorry, Minjoo.” Yena apologized, she was really guilty for doing that but it was rather effective. Minjoo did not move anymore, just letting Yena and Chaewon drag her but she looked absolutely soulless. All she could think of at that time was Yujin, Yujin, and Yujin.

 

The whole place was absolutely wrecked and on the way, they almost got crushed by a pillar once, and a huge boulder literally dropped when they just passed that area. How would Yujin be able to escape this ? She was really ed and Minjoo was losing hope.

 

Was she going to lose Yujin permanently this time? She was enraged at the thought of it already. She couldn’t handle that. A year living a boring life without her was enough.

 

This situation made Minjoo realize something big. And she was absolutely slapping herself for realizing it too late because she was bitter and prideful. She shrugged off the possibilities to make herself feel better. Yuri and Hitomi were right.

 

“I still love Yujin,” Minjoo whispered weakly, tasting a tangy liquid on . Her wounds were bleeding, so was her heart. The way she spoke of those words after realization hit her like a ten wheeler truck as Yujin firmly told them that she would be the sacrifice if ever — a realization that she didn’t want to lose her ever again. She didn’t want to lose her because she still loved her dearly, she was still harboring deep feelings for Yujin. “Oh god.” She bitterly laughed to herself.

 

Damn it, her friends were all right all along. She still hadn’t moved on, and she was sure she wouldn’t be able to. Ahn Yujin would be the first and last person she would love so intensely on this planet, no one even came close.

 

Her actions already told her enough that she was not over it, that she was not over Yujin. She was blinded by her pride that she kept denying something that was already there. The jealousy she felt when Gaeul hitted on Yujin in front of her, the way her heart beated rapidly when Yujin was close to her, the way her skin felt like burning when Yujin was touching her, the raging butterflies in her stomach when Yujin would wrap her arm around her waist.

 

Absolute madness. She was literally dreaming and thinking of Yujin almost twenty four seven. She felt all the same thing when she was still madly in love with Yujin, it was all the same around Yujin. It did not fade, and it was even getting stronger each day she spent time with Yujin.

 

This time, Minjoo was not in denial anymore, fully embracing the truth that she still loved Yujin the same. Wanting to be with her again. Earlier, she looked so vulnerable — begging like that. She never begged but if it was Yujin then she was willing to get on her knees and beg her to accept her again.

 

But Minjoo had a huge feeling. Yujin — she probably felt the same. She saw the signs that she tried to ignore very hard. Those soft chocolate eyes that always made her heart skip a beat. Yujin stared at Minjoo like she was still her whole world.

 

And Minjoo just pretended that she did not notice it.

 

To be honest, Minjoo just wanted to pull her hair out of frustration. What if she just became honest and jumped into Yujin’s arms when they first met again after their tragic break up? They were surely happy again if ever. But no, Minjoo literally tried to kill her ex-lover.

 

Foolish, really. Now, she was realizing all of these buried feelings because she was on the verge of losing Yujin again. Because there was a huge chance that Yujin wouldn’t be able to come out of that crumbling building alive.

 

Minjoo was hoping that Yujin could still escape that madness unharmed. She knew what Yujin was capable of, she would be able to cheat death if she wanted to. Yes, trust Yujin’s capabilities. Minjoo knew that she was not an ordinary person.

 

Yujin promised her that. And Minjoo wouldn’t allow her to break another promise she had made in front of her. Or else, she would kill herself and meet her lover in hell then strangle the out of her because she left her alone in the land of mortals.

 

Chaewon gave her a pitiful look, “She will come out alive, Minjoo. Believe in her. You know that brat well.” She tried to make her feel better, tugging her a bit to avoid the fallen debris.

 

Hyewon also butted in. “That woman… She does miracles. She’ll be able to cheat death again. I’m confident. That kid has a lot of luck in her. She swallowed diamonds before like it was nothing.” She teased, trying to make the atmosphere light. Yena snorted at that.

 

Minjoo tried to feel better but no, she was still anxious.

 

They reached the exit already, it was blocked by a statue that fell down after the explosion. All of them kicked it away from the door. They were free at last and they spotted their van nearby, with a nervous Sakura fidgeting by the side of the vehicle.

 

“Where’s Yujin?!” Sakura exclaimed, meeting them halfway then helped the limping Hyewon.

 

Yena bit her lower lip, “Trying to complete the mission…” Her voice was low. And Sakura pressed her lips together, her face unreadable but she understood it well that Yujin sacrificed herself to save them and the city.

 

“No time to lose, let’s inform Taeyeon about the planted bomb in the city—” Hyewon’s voice became muffled as Minjoo’s focus went to the crumbling building. She had already prayed to the deities above, asking for them to save Yujin’s no matter what.

 

The rest of the exchange became blurry, and Minjoo’s eyes stayed still even when Sakura started to clean her wounds. She did not answer her questions and just stared hard at that building where Yujin was currently at, probably trying to kill those men or running for her life already. There was a pinch in her heart, making her bite her lower lip.

 

Some police cars were already by the gate. Minjoo let the others explain what was happening, and kept mum, literally strangling Yujin in her daydream because of this freaking decision of hers. Yes, she was brave and considered a hero for what she did but… how about Minjoo?

 

Selfless yet selfish at the same time.

 

No one even attempted to rush to that building and save Yujin. Minjoo clenched her fists, , because of Yujin — Minjoo was thinking irrationally like this! Seriously, this was the least thing Yujin wanted to happen. People getting hurt for her, especially that she herself firmly decided to be the sacrifice.

 

Minjoo wanted to cry. This was seriously the worst. She experienced something a lot worse than this in her whole assassin life. In her team operation five years ago, she and her team got trapped inside a fallen building like this — and she was the only survivor but she did not cry when she got trapped there for days without food or water and there was barely any oxygen in there. She was hopeful that time, and determined because she knew she could survive.

 

But seeing things were going was slowly crushing her hopes down. That freaking building would collapse any sooner now, and Minjoo took a deep breath, standing up and ignored the aches around her body, walking closer but she was stopped by Chaewon — giving her a pointed look.

 

Minjoo sighed, hugging herself closer. She wouldn’t be able to forgive herself if Yujin didn’t survive.

 

In the middle of getting lost in her deep thoughts, the building completely fell apart — crumbling down into pieces, creating a loud noise that completely rattled the whole area, and that noise probably reached the very end of the city, waking up people living nearby.

 

But Minjoo couldn’t care less about that. Her world had already stopped. The building fell down and Yujin wasn’t even out yet.

 

Yujin was probably pulverized to death already. There was no way one could survive that.

 

“No!” Minjoo yelled, looking at the fallen building in horror. “No, No, No! Yujin is still there!” She shouted, frantically turning to Yena who was also stunned and horrified at the sight she had seen, realization sinking into her.

 

The others were also equally shocked, trembling.

 

Minjoo was losing her mind already, tears freely flowing from her eyes as she wailed. Her heart was crushed into pieces, as if it was the building that got destroyed. She couldn’t even breathe. She didn’t even get to say goodbye, she didn’t even get to say to Yujin that she still loved her and that she never stopped loving her at all.

 

Would this be Minjoo’s biggest regret?

 

Sakura held her tight, trying to comfort her, and murmuring some stuff that Minjoo couldn’t comprehend because she was going to faint here for real. She couldn’t accept that Yujin failed. She couldn’t. Yujin was not dead, right?

 

Ahn Yujin, you sly assassin… you broke another promise again.

 

Minjoo was literally going to pass out when suddenly a police spotted something from afar, pointing at it with wide, shocked eyes and exclaimed, “There’s a figure over there!”

 

Everyone turned, even the hyperventilating Minjoo. Her broken gaze turned to the silhouette by the broken building. There were ashes flying, and some part of the debris burning and smouldering after the two bomb explosions. But even so, the tall figure was noticeable, limping towards their direction.

 

A light of hope ignited within Minjoo’s heart. Her glassy eyes widening and sparkling as she waited, holding her breath until the figure could already be recognized.

 

Chaewon gasped, and that was enough to tell that it was the person they’ve been waiting for. Minjoo couldn’t even see well because her vision was blurred with tears. But for sure, she was not mistaken. She had a huge feeling… she was hoping.

 

“Oi! I destroyed the detonator and killed em’ asses!”

 

Relief washed over Minjoo, and to everyone too, who literally puffed up the breath they were holding. Minjoo was beyond happy to see the love of her life, alive, and waving at them.

 

Yujin was limping as she tried to walk closer to them. She was still wearing a grin, meaning to say that the mission was technically accomplished even though the building got destroyed. They managed to kill the syndicate leader and a bonus! They saved the city from getting bombed. And she freaking survived that disaster, she managed to escape in one piece. She looked exhausted after all the fighting and trying her best to survive.

 

Minjoo almost couldn’t believe it, stunned as she watched Yujin approach her with a cheeky smile. There was some blood smeared around her face, and her leg was bleeding but she was alive. She was very much alive. She was still stunned even though Yujin was standing a step away from here, wearing a dimpled smile.

 

Yujin turned her head to look at her friends, just giving them a smug look before turning again to Minjoo, giving her an expectant look. “I told ya’, I’ll survive, babe. I will never break another promise to you again, hmm?” She softly whispered with a sheepish grin.

 

Minjoo’s lips quivered, and she gritted her teeth. This woman really… this scared the hell out of her. She really thought she was freaking dead.

 

“Don’t you ing dare do that again!” Minjoo spat, and Yujin was about to say something when suddenly, Minjoo gave a punch on her face — instantly knocking her out, landing on the ground, motionless.

 

All people present at the scene were surprised. Even Minjoo was surprised at what she did, gasping softly. Emotions got the best of Minjoo so yeah, she punched poor Yujin out of the blue. The tall assassin was unconscious after the punch Minjoo threw — the latter forgot her brute strength and Yujin was dead exhausted so it wasn’t surprising that the blow knocked her out cold.

 

But hey, she survived. Yujin wouldn’t mind sleeping first after all of that, yes?

 

***

 

Yujin had a hard time chasing down those pieces of s since she got caught up in an intense conversation with Minjoo. She had expected that Minjoo wouldn’t let her go alone so she immediately communicated with Yena and Chaewon through gazes. She would not risk it, even though she was so tempted to say ‘ it’ and run with them — as long as she was going to be with Minjoo.

 

But Yujin was an assassin, she was committed to kill people — targeted people. And it was a rule to protect innocent people no matter what. Yujin was still human, she had a golden heart despite killing and spying on bad people for a living.

 

So, the wise decision was to sacrifice herself and risk it. There was only a slim chance of surviving this one especially that the building was really falling apart but surprisingly, she survived.

 

She reached the three men running away and caught up with them, stealthily killing the men with the rifles since they were not looking at her way. She tried to kill the syndicate leader but he was great at guns and managed to put up a nice play with Yujin — teasing that he would press the detonator soon but Yujin kept him busy until their bullets ran out.

 

He almost pushed the button but thankfully, Yujin tackled him almost immediately and the detonator got out of his grip. Yujin used that as a chance to disassemble the detonator while she kept the poor leader under her feet, muttering gibberish that the both of them would die. Their exit got also blocked before they could reach it because of Yujin.

 

“You’re a stubborn one. Trying to be the hero.” He chuckled, and a few pieces of pebbles hit him. He smirked at that even more. “You’ll go to hell anyway.” He spat as if Yujin did not know that.

 

Yujin kicked him hard on the face so that his neck was bent backwards before running away for her life — trying to spot where she could exit because lord, the whole place was shaking and some stairs were broken because of the gigantic rocks that she had to jump and climb a lot of times. At first, she was about to give up and just stop, and accept her cruel fate. She was so tired already and couldn’t find other ways since the pathways were blocked by boulders, and debris but she remembered Minjoo who was probably waiting for her anxiously outside. That made her keep going.

 

Her leg got stuck between a fallen piece of pillar and floor actually. She did not manage to dodge it but she kept pushing on forward while limping, desperate to survive and just a few seconds before the whole place fully crumbled down — Yujin managed to throw herself out of the window and crawled away.

 

Every inch of her body was aching, her muscles were burning, her lower half got caught up under a pile of pebbles but she managed to crawl out of it and gathered some strength as she caught her breath before standing up and dragged herself away from that area.

 

She was really beyond happy to see Minjoo and her friends as she approached them, ignoring the shocked expressions of the police officers, just waving and grinning at them. She was quite proud to cheat death again like that. Heh, Yujin would run away from her tragic fate for as long as she could.

 

Yujin was slightly guilty to see Minjoo’s expression that time, her lover was simply stunned and her eyes were teary and bloodshot — she obviously cried hard. She really worried her big time, and her heart softened at that. So, she was really expecting a bone-crushing hug, a teary reunion of sorts.

 

But then, Minjoo punched her, directly putting her to sleep. Yujin wasn’t mad at her lover for doing that, even grateful that Minjoo did that so she could sleep. She was happy because that only meant one thing: Minjoo was very worried when she was still inside, and probably thought she was dead — but relieved and happy to see her alive and kicking.

 

Yujin needed to live. There still got a lot of freaking things to talk about. Things like their feelings. Now, now — after that mission, Yujin was so sure that there was something…

 

So, when she woke up a day after in the headquarter’s infirmary, she wasn’t too surprised that when she fluttered her eyes open, Minjoo’s figure greeted her — making coffee at the side, and almost dropped her mug when she spotted Yujin looking back at her.

 

There was when Minjoo literally pounced on her and hugged like so tight that Yujin couldn’t even breathe but she welcomed her warmth with open arms, even though her aching body started to hurt even more because of the newly added weight and pressure on her, she just hugged Minjoo back and pressed a kiss on her shoulder as she her long black hair.

 

Minjoo kept nagging at her that time, and Yujin could only sheepishly smile. She was liking it, Minjoo’s care for her never faded — she still cared for her, so much. And the older woman did not like it when she just kept mum, smiling like an idiot like that.

 

“ing fool. I literally almost fainted out of worry and you’re just grinning like a fool you are.” Minjoo said before bursting out crying and that made Yujin’s smile drop, pulling the older woman closer and softly asked her what was wrong.

 

Minjoo held her tight, murmuring under her breath shyly. “I really thought…” She hiccuped, sniffling as she wiped her cheeks. Yujin held her and wiped it with her thumbs. “I really thought I was going to lose you for real. Losing you once is enough, Yujin.”

 

Yujin smiled at Minjoo, pressing a kiss on the latter’s forehead. “You won’t, ever again.” She whispered. Minjoo would never lose Yujin, and she did not lose her because all this time, she still loved her fiercely. The only woman that made her heart react and made her feel positive things that no one could do.

 

It had always been like this. Kim Minjoo owned Ahn Yujin and Ahn Yujin owned Kim Minjoo.

 

“Please let me prove myself again to you. Please consider being with me again, Minjoo.” Yujin finally asked after a beat of silence, her eyes held sincerity and passion that even Minjoo was slightly in awe of her. She her lower lip, caressing Minjoo’s cheeks softly. She was really determined to make things right between them, and she couldn’t wait anymore to prove that she was still worthy.

 

“I still love you, Minjoo I really do, and I’ll do whatever it takes for you to be mine again—” Yujin didn’t even get to finish the sentence when Minjoo crashed her lips against her, kissing her eagerly as if she wanted to say something. She poured her utmost feelings and Yujin just smiled, responding softly and loving the feeling of Minjoo’s lips moving with hers again. She missed it. She missed her lips. She missed the feeling of Minjoo kissing her like it was their last. She loved it.

 

Well, that kiss meant something, right?

 

Minjoo pulled away after planting a peck on her lips before responding verbally this time. “No need for that,” She whispered, smiling at her knowingly. “I want you back, Yujin. So bad.” She then pressed their foreheads together, grinning at each other happily.

 

“I still love you too, Yujin-ah.”

 

Too good to be true. Yujin never expected that she would be able to hear those magical words from Minjoo again. She was once again the happiest woman alive that moment. She hugged her lover, grinning widely and Minjoo kept pressing kisses all over her face while she was sitting sideways on Yujin’s lap.

 

They just started to become lovey-dovey again that Yujin was preparing herself for the upcoming teasings that would turn into grimacing and look of annoyance soon. Hopefully, her friends wouldn’t mind, especially Yena and Chaewon. It was her time to show how sweet and cringey she was with Minjoo in front of them as revenge for always showing PDA when she was around.

 

Both of them lightheartedly talked, and Yujin asked if she would court her first or what but like when Yujin asked her if she could court her when they first dated; Minjoo refused, shaking her head and pulled her into a kiss, telling her that it was no need.

 

Soon, that lighthearted conversation of catching up with their lives and random stuff, Minjoo’s mood became sour when she remembered something and slapped Yujin’s injured arm unmercifully. The latter exaggeratedly flinched and exclaimed, “Ouch!”, at Minjoo’s sudden violent act. She was so confused. “What was that for?”

 

Minjoo glared at her ex— no, girlfriend again. “For agreeing to the date with Gaeul-ssi. I saw the two of you strolling around the park.” She said, and hissed venomously. “And you had the audacity to consider the offer in front of me.”

 

Yujin pouted, flashing her puppy eyes. “Hey, we did not work out! We tried but yeah, I just really see her as a big sister of mine.” She answered, assuring Minjoo and the latter scoffed, just pulling her closer again.

 

Nothing beats being in the arms of your loved one again.

 

After resting for a day, Taeyeon personally visited her to check on her. Yujin was slightly guilty because she did not save the building but her boss just shrugged it off. “My assassins’ safety is much more important than an abandoned building. It can be rebuilt but one’s life can’t be resurrected.”

 

They also located the planted bomb quickly and immediately disposed of it since it was just pretty much dumped at the side of the river. After that, Taeyeon thanked her for saving a lot of people and risking her life just to do that. She also announced something really nice.

 

Yujin and her team would have a one month day off after that. And! Drum rolls.

 

Taeyeon told her that she and the higher-ups decided that Minjoo would be her permanent partner in missions so they would be together always. There would be a promotion too! It was a blessing, really. Having to do your tasks and missions with your assassin lover? Who wouldn’t be delighted?

 

Even Minjoo was ecstatic to learn that. This time, instead of hiding and lying to her lover about her operation, she would be going with her every time. No more little secrets. No more guilt. No more lies.

 

Yujin and Minjoo weren’t even surprised when Taeyeon started to tease them about being ex-lovers, it was her plan all along. She knew Yujin’s girlfriend before because she stalked the assassin when she was acting strangely, only to learn that she was in a very strong, committed relationship. Taeyeon let her, it wasn’t her business but was happy for Yujin. She was secretly disheartened when she learned that they broke up. But then there was a door of opportunity — she was surprised to see Minjoo in the list of PNRM assassins so like a sly spy that she was, she partnered them together and it helped that they were pretty much ‘equal’ in many fields.

 

But that stupid decision became very handy and even made them realize how much the both of them still loved each other. It paved the way for the both of them to get back together again.

 

Yujin and Minjoo owed Taeyeon a lot in a way, and the latter was proud that she was the ‘behind’ reason why they were back again into each other’s arms.

 

A few days later, Yujin was fully healed, thanks to her lovely nurse AKA Minjoo — the healing process became even more bearable and fast. Minjoo really pampered her, feeding her, showering her kisses, and reading her books. The older woman treated her like a baby but then, it had always been like this for the both of them.

 

Minjoo insisted to also stay for a while in Yujin’s house to keep an eye on her closely but the younger assassin knew that it was just an excuse so she could spend a lot of time with her. Yujin did not complain at all, just nodded along with a smitten smile.

 

And now we’re here.

 

Minjoo was snuggled on Yujin, using the latter’s chest as a pillow as she slept, her arm thrown over Yujin’s hips and their legs tangled together. Yujin softly her lover’s soft hair lovingly as she stared at the ceiling of her room.

 

It had been two weeks since the mission and Minjoo did not even detach herself from Yujin that time, never, there were times that she would even follow the younger woman in the bathroom like a puppy. She was clingy and Yujin didn’t mind it since she was also clingy.

 

They were so clingy and cheesy with each other like it was their first day as a couple. Technically, because they broke up and got back together again — they were, sort of, a new couple. It was lovely though, Yujin loved the feeling of Minjoo being close to her like this, being able to cuddle with her, sleep in the same bed with her, kiss her, feed her, hug her — just everything. All over again.

 

Yujin was still having trouble though. Sometimes, it felt like a dream that she got Minjoo back because it had been more than a year since they separated and the familiar feeling of being with Minjoo faded a bit so there were times that she was malfunctioning, not knowing what to do but her body — her instinct, always helped her.

 

Like now, she was getting overwhelmed by the beauty snuggled up to her comfortably, looking cozy and peaceful as she slept. Christ, her beauty was so eternal that Yujin found herself staring again, worshipping that perfect face of her lover as she brushed away some few stray strands of hair away from her face with her fingers.

 

Yujin grinned, pressing a soft kiss on the older woman’s crown and the latter stirred up a bit, taking a sharp intake of breath then pushed herself closer to Yujin, humming sleepily. It was such a cute sight! The younger assassin couldn’t help but to coo.

 

“What time is it now?” Minjoo spoke up after a bit. She was frowning cutely and her lips were formed into a pout.

 

Yujin was unable to resist, kissing her soundly on the lips. Minjoo just whined softly, and she knew that was because she kissed her after she just literally woke up. Yujin did not really mind it, it was just a simple peck anyway.

 

“Good morning, love. Eight. It’s time to get out of bed and eat breakfast.” Yujin said, and Minjoo groaned, tightening her hug around her girlfriend, stubborn, not wanting to peel away from the bed and probably just stay all day in here while cuddling with Yujin.

 

But as much as Yujin wanted to do that, her stomach was grumbling and she knew that Minjoo was probably hungry too. They ate dinner last night pretty early so Yujin wanted to wake Minjoo up early.

 

“Let’s stay in,” Minjoo murmured, eyes still closed and breathing softly.

 

The younger woman chuckled, “Come on, babe. We need to eat. I’ll cook you something too. What do you want for breakfast?” asked Yujin and that made Minjoo stop, finally opening her droopy eyes and then stared at her taller girlfriend with her sparkly, excited eyes.

 

“Egg fried rice and nuggets.” Minjoo answered with a smile, sitting up with her elbow as a support, lightly hovering above Yujin.

 

Smiling back, Yujin reached for her face and tucked the strands of hair behind her ear. “Okay. I’ll cook and you do your usual morning routine, hmm?” She softly said, and Minjoo’s small sweet smile turned into a happy grin, leaning down and kissed her on the forehead before getting off the bed — walking to the bathroom.

 

Yujin skillfully prepared their breakfast, not even hiding her ‘assassin’ skills and even showed off, throwing the knife midair and catching it swiftly at the handle as she started to chop some scallions and bacon strips. She then washed the knife and tossed it away, smoothly landing on the wooden knife holder; the blade exactly got inserted to the hole.

 

Minjoo smirked at that, preparing their coffees. She placed them on the table, and Yujin suddenly threw a plate towards her direction like a frisbee disc. Minjoo caught it, and dropped it on the table, not breaking. Yujin did the same with the other plate, also with a fork and spoon. Minjoo caught them expertly and prepared them.

 

Their days were absolutely not normal now. It was going to be like this, extraordinary. Yujin was kind of scared that if they ever had a quarrel, Minjoo would definitely try to shoot her head off.

 

The couple had a very hearty breakfast full of giggles and smiles.

 

Yujin swore that Minjoo was glowing even though her hair was just tied up into a messy bun, her cheeks stuffed with rice and nuggets, wearing her lousy over black shirt, and had no make-up on — she was still the prettiest in Yujin’s eyes. She fell in love harder that day.

 

Damn, was it even possible for Yujin to fall even harder and harder with Minjoo each day? Yes.

 

***

 

“Run!”

 

Minjoo and Yujin ran, hand in hand through the shattered hallway, trying to ignore the continuous explosions coming from the other end of the ship, and the explosions were just nearing them — as if it was chasing them.

 

Despite Minjoo wearing heels and her ankles hurting already, she kept running with Yujin frantically or else they were going to get bombed in that freaking luxury boat.

 

They were currently on another mission in France, infiltrating a lavish cruise ship party of a shady prime minister. They had their usual set-up, acting — no, they were already a couple. Both of them just faked their identities to enter and kill but surprisingly, another enemy infiltrated the party too and had explosions installed in the cruise. After they managed to finish their mission, here they were, running for their lives and trying to jump out of the busted yacht before it was too late.

 

Fortunately, they were good swimmers so jumping into deep water was nothing to them, and Sakura was there, waiting for them at the emergency boat they prepared.

 

Minjoo dragged her lover to the exit, and they finally ran along the deck, going closer to the edge. But then, Yujin suddenly halted, and Minjoo’s grip on her lover’s wrist loosened. Minjoo looked over at her lover, giving her a panicked look but Yujin just smiled at her. Christ! What was Yujin thinking? They were about to jump out of this bursting ship!

 

“Yujin, what the hell are you doing? Let’s jump now! We still have to chase the people who snuck in the explosives here!” Minjoo yelled, a little bit annoyed. She flinched when another bomb exploded in the middle part of the cruise, and the whole lavish ship shook violently, sinking into the water a bit.

 

Minjoo looked at her lover again, glaring at her but Yujin just snorted, walking closer while taking out something from her trousers’ pocket. The older assassin was about to grab her wrist again and drag her away when suddenly, Yujin kneeled, presenting a small jewelry box.

 

As if Minjoo’s whole world stopped, the woman was stunned, staring at her lover with wide eyes. Yujin was kneeling on one knee and showing her a jewelry box. Oh my god, Oh my god—

 

“Seriously, Ahn Yujin? In the freaking middle of a mission? In the middle of this bombing disaster?” Minjoo was unable to blurt out the retort but she was already crying happily, her heart shimmering happily.

 

Yujin grinned at her as she stared at her as if she was the only to ever exist, as if there was no explosion just behind her and the ship was literally swaying and sinking now but still, Yujin remained kneeling. Her focus was on her girlfriend.

 

“Kim Minjoo,” Yujin started off sheepishly. “My girlfriend, my assassin, my partner in crime, my best girl, my honey, my darling—”

 

“And the woman I love the most.” She added, and her expression turned serious.

 

Suddenly, Minjoo was unaware of her surroundings — the loud shrieks, the loud explosions, the noisy creaking, the sound of the cruise ship getting destroyed by bombs — they all became muffled in her ears and blurry in her eyes. All she could see was Yujin, the love of her life, and hear her goddamned husky, sweet voice of hers.

 

Yujin opened the box, and Minjoo’s breath hitched.

 

There was a diamond ring in there, shining and sparkling — enticing Minjoo to wear it on her ring finger immediately. It looked so perfect like it was just made for Kim Minjoo herself. And it was — it was a customized ring just for Yujin’s woman.

 

“Will you marry me?” Yujin finally asked breathlessly. The words were strained but firm and clear, and it made a huge impact on Minjoo’s life, not even a bomb could be compared.

 

Minjoo was shaking, nodding eagerly. “My idiot, of course, I’ll marry you!” She answered immediately, and pulled Yujin onto her feet, and hugged her tight. Yujin hugged back, grinning ear to ear. They were the happiest that night, even though there was really a bombing happening behind them, they paid no mind to it.

 

Why would anyone and Minjoo be surprised at this stunt Yujin had just pulled? Her girlfriend was borderline crazy. She literally escaped a crumbling building and swallowed diamonds before — those were just few stuff in the long list. Proposing in the middle of an operation wasn’t too shocking anymore, to be honest.

 

Minjoo had been expecting her girlfriend’s proposal already and then freaking seal the deal since it had been two years or so since they got back together. In those two years, they were simply beyond happy and in love with each other, like the old times. And it wasn’t too shocking that Yujin wanted to marry Minjoo already because she was sure of her, and Minjoo was also sure of Yujin.

 

Yujin pressed a kiss on Minjoo first before taking her hand gently, taking out the ring from the box and slowly slid the ring on Minjoo’s ring finger — absolutely perfect!

 

The couple grinned at each other, gradually leaning in for another kiss but then, there was an explosion just beside them, making them jolt. With a yelp, Yujin took her fiance’s arm and dragged her to the edge and the both of them jumped from the cruise before the spot that they were just standing prior seconds ago also exploded.

 

Yujin and Minjoo submerged into the cold, saltwater — Yujin rose from the water first, feeling her nose burn a bit and spat some water that got into , grimacing because of its saltiness then wiped her burning eyes. She looked around and saw that Minjoo was still not up; she was about to dive back into the water and search for her when Minjoo also rose up, gasping and coughing.

 

Minjoo grinned at her, showing her hand, the diamond ring still intact. Yujin smiled, biting her lower lip. Goodness, this was her future wife!

 

A loud creaking noise caught their attention and they yipped, swimming fast away from the cruise ship, probably beating the world record of swimming the fastest. The cruise ship was fully submerged into the vast body of water. Minjoo and Yujin raced to the boat nearby where Sakura was waiting and climbed there, panting heavily.

 

Sakura just smirked at them and reminded them that their extended mission was not done yet then started to drive the boat, speeding away from the mess — the rescue boats and helicopters were already coming but they did not bump into them since they went in the other direction where they couldn’t be seen.

 

Yujin and Minjoo just grinned, they were officially engaged now. And soon, going to be officially married.

 

Minjoo threw her fiance a very y smirk as she pulled the gun from the holster attached on her thigh, “Still can bust some asses, honey?”

 

Huffing, Yujin winked at her fiance and cocked her own handgun. “I won’t get tired of killing pieces of s with you, baby.”

 

***

 

A/N: andddd that’s a wrap. deadlier ends here, or not, maybe - who knows? AHAHDHASDHSAHD so yeah. Thanks again to @/oriyenugh for commissioning me to write this piece of action fluff! i really hoped you liked it!!!

 

anyway a lot of you might have noticed that im really messy writing actions scenes, geez. im really bad at it, damn itttt its my weakness now, jk. im not entirely satisfied since there might be some plotholes that i didnt patch up properly but i tried my best and i think i improved and i will improve even more. i really had fun writing this one though! its fun and challenging to write but im glad that im able to experience writing something like this~~

 

but nonetheless, i hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as i enjoyed writing it.

 

thank you again for reading and leave a comment~ stay safe and see you around!!!