chapter two

deadlier

 

“What do you mean that Minjoo is also a freaking assassin? And she’s your new partner too!?” That was Yena’s reaction once Yujin finally told her about what happened to the meeting earlier.

 

They were currently in a private bar downtown after Yujin messaged them to come meet her because she had some very important news. As expected, everyone had the same reaction as her, very shocked to learn that Minjoo was also a spy as well. Who wouldn’t be surprised at the odds?

 

Yujin nodded to confirm it with a sigh, pouring herself a half glass of whiskey then drank it. “Yes. She literally pulled a stunt earlier at the lobby. She tried to slice my throat.” said the woman, grimacing at the bitter taste, and the burning sensation in .

 

Sakura snorted, “I witnessed that. Damn. I almost bowed down. I didn’t know Minjoo could be that scary as ! I literally trembled in fear when she walked past me, giving me a sharp look.” She said, shivering when she recalled how Minjoo glared at her when they met at the lobby. “Seriously, those calm, lovely ladies are really the scariest.” added the hacker as she ate some chips, shaking her head in amusement.

 

Hyewon agreed, taking a sip from her martini. “Indeed.”

 

Minjeong blinked, a little bit confused. “Wait, wait,” She said, a little bit lost. Well, she was just a recent close friend of Yujin so she wasn’t much aware of Yujin’s past and how this new partner of hers made a huge impact in her life. “Your new partner, that Kim Minjoo…” She paused, looking at Yujin. “Is your girlfriend!?”

 

Yujin winced, shaking her head. “Ex-girlfriend, Minjeong-unnie.” She corrected.

 

Minjeong gasped, “Of three years!?”

 

Suppressing the urge to roll her eyes, Yujin just sighed. “Yes. We dated for three years and six months…” She replied, and Minjeong opened to probably ask something again but Yujin beat her to answering it, as if she knew what the older woman would ask. “And yes, we broke up last year and never saw each other again after that.” She added.

 

Minjeong pursed her lips together. Jimin, who was sitting beside Minjeong, stifled an amused laugh. “, this is so funny. The universe is toying with you both.” She exclaimed, snorting.

 

Yujin threw her a glare, just pouring another shot. Yena was still trying to get over her shock, Hyewon looked calm while Sakura was simply amused. These three personally knew Minjoo also. They met Minjoo quite a lot of times and the latter knew them as Yujin’s workmates in the architectural firm.

 

Even until now, Yujin was having trouble sinking in that fact. Damn, she would really need to be a lot more professional if she was around Minjoo. The break-up was mutual, yes, but there were bitter feelings because of the reason they broke up. It did not help that Minjoo was the only person she had ever sincerely loved that she was ready to give her the whole world before.

 

The break-up took a big toll on her, it really shattered her since she loved her that much. But now, she doesn’t know anymore. She wasn’t too sure if she could get along with Minjoo and be friends with her.

 

“How did you guys meet?” Minjeong curiously asked , and that made Yujin snap back into reality, glancing around the table and everyone was looking at her, expectant — even Hyewon, Sakura, and Yena who knew the story already were waiting.

 

It made her roll her eyes but she told them anyway, having a trip down to memory lane. Reminiscing as if it just happened yesterday.

 

***

 

July 11, 2017 : 02:21 am

Nagoya, Japan

 

Yujin uncapped the bottle of juice, taking a swig as she casually walked down to the empty, deserted street. She ignored the multiple footsteps behind her, casually snaking her hand inside her jacket, checking her guns on the holsters, feeling up the dagger tucked in her boot.

 

She was currently on a mission, just a one man spying mission. The higher-ups tasked her to stalk a big yakuza group that was currently residing in that city and check what dirty deeds they were doing. This certain yakuza group slain and tortured an insider of theirs three months ago so Yujin was sent to keep an eye on them for four days.

 

It was the last day, and she was actually going home now but a member noticed her, and now — she was just trying her best to be casual and pretend like a normal lost foreigner that just passed by near their hideout. It had been fifteen minutes since they started to soundly follow Yujin, they weren’t even being subtle. She already went inside a 24/7 store to buy a drink but they hid behind an alleyway and continued to follow her.

 

They were surely observing her, probably finding a great time to strike her. Since the street that Yujin took a walk on was dark and pretty much empty, she was just being ready; she would never strike until they attacked first. Surely, these yakuza members were still trying to see if she was a threat or what.

 

Yujin checked the time, ah, almost 3am. She just wanted to sleep but these bad boys wouldn’t still leave her alone, damn it.

 

With a sigh, she just continued to walk nonchalantly and dumped the empty juice bottle to the bin, humming to some songs when suddenly, from a distance, she saw a figure. A slim figure with long hair, definitely a woman. Yujin’s eyes followed her, and was a little bit surprised to see that she was getting followed unsubtly too by a few guys.

 

They were about to meet halfway and suddenly, the woman looked up, their eyes met under the dim light. And Yujin’s breath was instantly taken away.

 

She knew danger at first glance so this woman must’ve been stalked by these pieces of s.

 

The woman did not avert her gaze, eyeing her pointedly, and Yujin’s body moved on its own, changing lane then fully met the woman halfway, pulling her into a hug while surprisingly, the stranger hugged her back naturally as if they knew what to do in that situation after a brief eye-contact.

 

“I’ve been looking around you! Where the hell did you go?” The woman exclaimed softly in fluent Japanese but there was this accent that Yujin couldn’t point out, this woman wasn’t from this country, that was for sure.

 

Yujin smiled, her acting skills gearing up, and tingling. She responded naturally after breaking the hug, “Sorry, baby,” She naturally replied, trying to see the shock in the beautiful stranger’s face but there was none of bewilderment or even disgust, she was just looking lovingly at Yujin with a small smile plastered on her plump pink lips. “I got lost on the way to the station where we agreed to meet so I decided to take a stroll.”

 

, her eyes went still, staring at the woman. Doe eyes with pools of warm honey, perfect proud nose, luscious lips that were formed into a smile; long black wavy hair. Godly visual — heavens! This woman was so beautiful, probably the most beautiful. Why was this angel roaming around dangerous streets at nights like this?

 

The beautiful stranger gave her a huff, a cute huff that Yujin almost giggled. “I was calling you earlier. You got me very worried, honey.” She played along smoothly, as if it was real. Yujin’s heart fluttered, unable to tear her gaze away from the goddess.

 

Yujin chuckled, naturally wrapping her arm around the other woman’s slim waist, god damn — it felt so perfect, and she was so warm. She smelled vanilla. “I’m really sorry, okay?” She apologized again with a pout, tugging the woman with her so they continued walking, passing by the men that were following this girl on her arm. “Let’s just go home. I’m very sleepy already.” added the taller woman.

 

The beautiful stranger snuggled herself closer to her, resting her head on her shoulder, feeling very comfortable as they walked away from that street. “Okay, I forgive you. Just make sure to give me a kiss~” She sang that almost made Yujin choke out of surprise but she suppressed the urge, just clearing , obviously got caught off-guard.

 

The guys did not follow them, fortunately. Yujin tried to sense them but it seemed like they really stopped, finally surrendering to stalking them. She released a relieved breath. She wasn’t too tense when she was getting followed but she was concerned for the other woman who got followed also. What if Yujin wasn’t there? , Yujin wouldn’t even want to imagine.

 

Both of them walked in silence for a few minutes; with Yujin’s arm still wrapped around the nameless stranger’s waist while the latter was still lazily walking and snuggling closer to her. The assassin caught a whiff of the woman’s shampoo. Jesus Christ, her heart wouldn’t even stop beating rapidly!

 

They finally reached the waiting shed, and there were some people now. And once they stood by the shed, Yujin quickly took her hand away and created a respectful gap between them. “Were those guys stalking you?” asked the woman.

 

Chuckling, the shorter one nodded, turning to her. “Uh huh, I was just walking around when they started to follow me. Japan is really indeed a creepy place,” She then joked, also in Japanese. But still, Yujin was really worried

 

“You should really stop strolling around like that alone, miss. It’s very dangerous, especially in this kind of time.” Yujin nagged softly, she was just really concerned. The beautiful woman just smiled at her, now that there was a light — Yujin could perfectly see her ethereal beauty. Her breath was taken away once again. She blushed a bit, turning her gaze away, overwhelmed by her visual. “Especially with a face like that, you’ll be a favorite target of creepy guys.” She whispered under her breath as she turned around, but in Korean.

 

“Ah, I knew it, you’re Korean as well. I have a huge hunch.” The woman spoke in her mother tongue, which surprised Yujin a bit. So that explained the little, faint accent; also a Korean like her. She sounded more softer yet huskier in Korean, lord.

 

Yujin looked at her, flushed and eyes wide. “You’re from Korea?” She dumbly asked, a little bit embarrassed because the woman definitely heard what she had said.

 

The woman nodded, chuckling lightly, and wow — music to her ears. “Yes,” She confirmed, bowing a bit to Yujin and then introduced herself. “I’m Kim Minjoo. May I know what my honey’s name is?” She teased.

 

Yujin was so shy. She blushed so hard but she remained composed, feeling the tips of her ears warmed up. “Hello, nice to meet you, Minjoo-ssi. I’m Ahn Yujin.” She bowed back. Hmm. Minjoo. What a beautiful name like her owner.

 

“Yujin, huh? Thank you, you’re my hero.” Minjoo said, throwing a playful wink at Yujin. The latter was caught off guard again, feeling her heart stop. What the hell. Why was this woman acting so chill after experiencing getting stalked creepily!? Geez.

 

But all of those thoughts were swept away when Minjoo called her, ‘my hero’. Sheesh. Yujin’s face went all hot again. This woman was such a sweet talker…

 

Coughing, Yujin tried to act cool and unaffected. “Where are you staying? I can take you there.” She offered kindly, and Minjoo gave her a cheshire grin.

 

“I stay at Marriott.” Minjoo answered her.

 

Yujin’s eyes widened. “I also stay there,” She replied back, a little bit surprised. Minjoo was also taken aback at the coincidence but her face softened afterwards. “I guess we can go there together since I’m about to go home now too.”

 

The shorter woman flashed her a sweet smile. “Sure. I like the sound of that.”

 

The both of them hailed a cab, and talked throughout the ride. Minjoo mentioned that it seemed like she was also getting stalked but Yujin shrugged it off, boasting that she knew a little bit of taekwondo and she knew she shouldn’t just panic in that situation. Thankfully, they found each other that fateful night.

 

Yujin learned more about Minjoo that time; she was older than Yujin by a year only, and currently working as a kindergarten teacher. She was in Nagoya for a short vacation. Minjoo learned a little bit about Yujin too, of course the assassin was careful. She told Minjoo that she was in Japan to visit a friend, then that she was an architect. But aside from that, she did not lie.

 

Minjoo was fun to talk with, and after their ride towards the hotel they were staying at. She was very lovely. Yujin was sad since she wanted to talk more, and Minjoo looked like she was also enjoying having a conversation with her.

 

But when Yujin walked Minjoo to her room, the latter offered to have a coffee with her inside. And well, Yujin did not waste that chance, almost eagerly nodding when Minjoo asked her.

 

After spending a brief time with Minjoo. Yujin knew. Yujin would never let Minjoo slip away from her.

 

***

 

Present

 

“And after that, I went back to Korea while Minjoo stayed for another day there before flying back.” Yujin continued to share, and chewed on her lower lip. “We met again since we got each other’s contact numbers. And well, like you guys probably expected, we started going out and a few months after, I told her I wanted to court her officially since I already fell in love. She did not let me court her, wanting to be official already.” Her voice trailed off, feeling a dull ache in her heart. Those were the happy times. Yujin was really the happiest at those moments.

 

Recalling the past, Minjoo was probably on a mission too when their paths crossed in Nagoya. And those guys that were stalking her must be some gang members too or something.

 

After learning that Minjoo was a spy as well, everything just clicked into place. Minjoo was great at hiding, and Yujin was the same, they were professionals in that field after all so they were both great at it — but the weird ‘school’ schedules that Yujin did not question… Minjoo was definitely out on a mission or something in those times. Yujin did not mind it because she was also on missions, she would excuse that she would visit a site of her client.

 

Yujin also told them how they broke up. It was because of their schedules, the both of them became workaholics that they couldn’t even spend time together. Their stuff became very hectic, and that time, Yujin was preparing for a huge operation with the team that would happen in Shanghai. And there was a rumor going around too that someone spotted her with another woman, clinging to her while strolling around the open streets of Gangnam. Minjoo got the news and of course, she did not like that at all.

 

That time, Yujin was on another small mission with Wonyoung, her previous spy partner before Yena. They pretended to be a couple too for that one in Gangnam, and well, a ‘co-teacher’ of Minjoo — Yuri — saw it, most probably and told Minjoo about it.

 

They had a big fight over their problems and finally called it quits, Yujin moved out of their shared apartment since they started living together after their first anniversary. Sure, their decision was mutual but there were bitter feelings left.

 

But Yujin was sure that she had already moved on from Minjoo. It had been more than a year now too after all.

 

Definitely. She doesn’t love Kim Minjoo anymore.

 

Right?

 

***

 

“You need to be a professional,” Chaeyeon said to Minjoo when the latter stopped hitting the punching bag.

 

The younger woman puffed out a breath, shaking her head. “I’m a professional.” She replied, landing another punch to the huge sand bag. It swung harshly because of the impact.

 

Chaeyeon snorted, “You almost sliced Yujin’s throat a few days ago.” She pointed out, and Minjoo scoffed, punching the bag again before turning to the older woman, sweeping off the damp strands of hair away from her face.

 

“It was a quick test to see if she was really an assassin, like me.” Minjoo responded with a huff, taking a deep breath as she took the bottle of water from the side, taking a huge gulp. “And yeah.”

 

“Tomorrow, you guys need to meet to discuss your first ever mission. You guys need to train together sometime starting tomorrow.” Chaeyeon reminded her which made Minjoo sigh, scratching her brow.

 

Minjoo just threw the half empty bottle away from her hold, flipping midair then landed on the ground perfectly vertical. She gave Chaeyeon a tight smile. “Like I said, I’m a professional.” She replied before starting to rapidly punch the bag again.

 

Chaeyeon could only snicker at her old friend. “Professional… as if she wasn’t desperate to kill that certain ONE assassin.”

 

***

 

Yujin was in one of the training grounds of the headquarters, checking the new recruits with Minjeong when her phone suddenly vibrated, indicating that there was a message. She immediately checked the phone, seeing that there was a message notification. She almost had a heart attack when she saw the one who sent her a message.

 

It was from someone who she would never expect that would call or text her again.

 

From: Minjoo

 

meet me at zeroses’ cafe. now.

 

Yujin was slightly surprised that Minjoo was still using the same number. But then, why would she be? Yujin was also using the same personal number after all. She was just taken aback that Minjoo would reach her out like this.

 

With slight hesitation, she replied back with a simple, ‘okay’, then pocketed back her phone, excusing herself to Minjeong before frantically dashing towards the parking lot. She rode her motorcycle and literally drove away fast like a flash. Yujin was in the middle of the highway when she realized why she was rushing frantically like this. She hissed, mentally giving herself a slap on the forehead.

 

Come on, it was just Kim Minjoo.

 

Yeah, it was just Kim Minjoo who hated tardy people that hated to arrive on time, people who didn’t like to follow instructions. Maybe it was an instinct, Yujin literally knew Minjoo for years and had a relationship with her for three years. She knew the woman too well — not that too well though.

 

She reached the very familiar cafe soon enough. And when she parked her motorcycle at the parking space, and hopped off from her bike, taking her helmet off her head then combed her slightly damped, messy locks. The tall woman glanced at the cafe, sighing to herself as the sight of it already brought too many memories.

 

This was where she and Minjoo first met when they went back to Korea after they met in Nagoya. Until now, Yujin treated that moment of theirs as their first ‘date’ even though Minjoo liked to believe that their first date was when they were finally an official couple. Oh well, Yujin did not really fight her with it, just smiling at her whenever that topic would be inserted in their random conversations.

 

It was her first time going here in this place after she and Minjoo broke up. This cafe was one of the places she avoided like a plague this past year because she was going to be haunted by their happy memories for sure. Like now, she was really stunned at the entrance, reluctant to push the door open. She often went there with her ex-lover, and she had never failed to push the door open and let Minjoo go inside first.

 

However, now, Minjoo was inside and waiting for her.

 

She was just pulled out in her reverie when another pair of customers suddenly went behind her, asking if she was going to go inside. Flushed, Yujin let them go inside first while murmuring a halfhearted apology. Geez, she really needed to collect herself.

 

Yujin was over it, okay! She was!

 

Taking a deep breath, she finally entered the cafe, and her eyes immediately searched for the familiar woman. Yujin spotted Minjoo quickly though because the latter was, surprisingly, sitting on their usual seat by the window that offered the great view outside — sipping on her usual iced coffee vanilla.

 

Minjoo was looking outside as she nibbled on the tip of her straw, still probably hadn’t noticed her or she was just ignoring her presence. Her hair was tied up into a messy bun, her side bang resting on the side of her godly face, and wearing her usual outfit; purple hoodie, black denim shorts, and her favorite pair of white sneakers that Yujin gave to her on their third anniversary.

 

The last time Yujin had seen her was when they first met as assassins and new partners, which was a week ago but for some reason, she looked a little way more beautiful today. She wasn’t even wearing make-up. Natural beauty indeed.

 

With one last deep breath, she finally walked closer to Minjoo, acting nonchalant and serious but she was slightly tense. She just sat on the seat across Minjoo but the latter did not even bat an eye on her, just continuing to look outside as she gently sipped on her iced coffee.

 

For sure, Minjoo messaged her to meet her here to talk about their mission. Their little operation would happen next week in a formal party of the governor of the state. Their first ever mission together. They were not here to discuss something personal, much to Yujin’s dismay but it was rather for the best to leave it out.

 

Silence engulfed them for a whole minute until finally, Yujin was itching to speak, bothered by the silence and Minjoo’s ignorance. She was about to open to speak when Minjoo cut her first.

 

“Let’s be professional,”

 

Ah. Bingo.

 

Yujin pursed her lips together, nodding her head. Minjoo glanced at her and their eyes met briefly, “We should leave off those personal matters aside and never talk about that especially when we’re on missions. After all, those were long settled so we focus on our jobs.” She explained as if Yujin had no single clue of what the right thing to do was.

 

“I agree,” Yujin finally replied after a beat of silence. “Past is past too. Now, all we need to talk about is our mission. Let’s discuss our plan. Taeyeon gave us a guide.” said Yujin then stood up, “I’ll just order a drink.” added the woman then glanced at Minjoo’s almost empty iced coffee before walking away, not even noticing the small disappointed glint in the older woman’s eyes.

 

Yujin ordered a latte then another iced coffee vanilla for Minjoo. She knew her ex-lover too well, she would never refuse an iced coffee even if she had just drank another one. She also bought a blueberry cheesecake for her.

 

Nako, the cafe worker, gave her a knowing grin. Yujin just gave her a tight smile. The shorter woman knew the ex-couple since they were a regular but Yujin was sure that she had probably caught up that they broke up since they never went there together again until today.

 

Yujin went back with their trays, and wordlessly handed the coffee to Minjoo and the plate of cheesecake. Yujin ordered some glazed doughnuts for herself. After that, they started to discuss the guide Taeyeon had given to them.

 

In the middle of the serious conversation, Yujin was really surprised at how smart and experienced Minjoo was. She knew that Minjoo was really intelligent but damn, her thinking skills were almost the same level as Yujin’s regarding their work. And that was the problem, their thoughts and ideas clashed, resulting in them arguing about stuff. Minjoo had her own style, Yujin had her own.

 

Yujin was a spy captain and Minjoo was also in the same rank as hers but technically, the younger woman should be a little bit superior since ONE organized the operation this time. But Minjoo was really stubborn, and Yujin knew that so she just willingly let her speak at first but when the former started to vocalize that she didn’t like her plan at all, Yujin was getting pissed but held it in.

 

She could say that she was the one who had the upper hand on this mission so Minjoo would shut up but Yujin couldn’t find the will to say that and snap. Never did she snap at Minjoo ever, nor Minjoo to her. They were both level-headed but of course, tension couldn’t be helped. Even though their voices and way of speaking were calm — their tone was intense and firm, their eyes were fierce.

 

But in the end, they settled on a mixed plan. After that, they finally managed to discuss the further things calmly and smoothly. Yujin was almost amused but then, it was like this even way before.

 

The topic then went on Yujin’s suggestion, talking about the dress Minjoo should wear since they needed to wear a couple dress. Minjoo snorted at that.

 

“Do we really have to act like a couple?” Minjoo questioned, not really disgusted at the idea since, please, they were literally lovers before. But she was just wary and thought it was going to be awkward, however, of course, professionalism.

 

Yujin nodded, taking a sip from her latte. “Yes. I’m pretty much an expert in that field. Taeyeon always gave me partner missions because apparently, I’m good at acting a lover — especially if my partner is also great at reading me. It has an advantage too.” She explained, somehow, it just happened. She was surprised when Taeyeon and Eunbi told her that she was great at partnered-operations instead of team missions.

 

Minjoo stared at her as she sliced the cake, taking a bite. Yujin stared back, a little bit confused because it looked like Minjoo wanted to say something.

 

Finally after a moment, the other woman said her thoughts, hesitant but she spoke anyway. “The day Yuri caught you with another woman,” She whispered, and Yujin instantly froze at that, she was about to eat another piece of cake but stopped midway, remaining open as she looked at Minjoo. The latter chewed on her lower lip and cleared before speaking, “Were you on a mission? Was that your partner?”

 

Yujin’s grip on the spoon tightened. “I thought no personal questions?”

 

Minjoo’s eyes narrowed, “That’s hardly a personal one. It’s literally related to your working life.” She pointed out, gritting her teeth. “So it wasn’t? Are you implying that you really cheated on me before, Yujin? You had a woman aside from me, huh?” Her voice went dark and grim, her tone was laced by bitterness and venom that screamed danger. Her foxy eyes shifted too, they were hard and burning. Minjoo looked like she was about to pounce on Yujin and strangle her to death that very moment.

 

Yujin was dumbfounded for a bit, placing her fork down before frowning at the fuming Minjoo. It was now personal but Yujin did not mind one bit. “I did not cheat on you. I’m not the type of person to do that. You knew I loved you too much that I won’t even bat an eye to other people’s advances on me,” She clarified, and Minjoo’s eyes softened. “I was indeed in a small operation with Wonyoung, a partner of mine. We needed to act like a couple to infiltrate an illegal gambling spot in Gangnam.” explained the woman with a huff.

 

She did not want to be accused as a cheater when she was so faithful to her girlfriend — now, ex-girlfriend.

 

Minjoo was silent for a few seconds before averting her gaze away, continuing to sip on her coffee until it was empty. Yujin watched her, shaking her head as she continued to drink her coffee.

 

After that, Minjoo excused herself, telling her that she would go now since she still had a meeting with Yuri. Yujin just told her that she would deliver her dress to her new address soon after confirming that her size did not change drastically, she just became a little bit skinnier which made Yujin frown a bit.

 

With a sigh, Yujin continued to eat and drink her order alone, ignoring Nako’s worried gaze from the counter. The latter definitely noticed the awkward, heavy tension.

 

***

 

The day of Yujin and Minjoo’s first mission together came fast. They did not even meet after that, Yujin just sent the dress to Minjoo’s apartment which used to be their old shared apartment. Yujin was shocked when she learned that Minjoo did not move out. She did not question it, finding a new place was a hassle indeed.

 

Both of them trained separately (much to Chaeyeon’s dismay). Since they had a concrete plan and they were pretty much experienced, for sure, this mission was going to pass like a breeze for them.

 

Yujin arrived at the venue of the event with her car. She checked her wrist watch and saw that it was nine twenty six. The said celebration was going to start at ten, and she and Minjoo agreed to meet thirty minutes before. The assassin then went out of the car, and she was greeted by the cold night air.

 

After looking around to spot something suspicious, and failed to notice one, she strided towards the main entrance. There were invited people lining up, and the guards checking their identities. With Sakura’s help, they had managed to hack into the systems and inserted their fake identities there. She had also given the blueprint of the whole venue, and the codes of the security cams.

 

Minjoo was going to do that part since she was more experienced in the hacking field and serve as a watcher while Yujin would kill their target.

 

Yujin stood by the mini garden beside the exact location, and waited, but she did not have to wait long when an expensive Benz pulled over beside her and when the passenger door opened, it revealed Minjoo.

 

Yujin tried her best not to let her jaw drop. She scanned Minjoo from head to toe as she closed the door and walked closer to her, her hips swaying sultrily like a predator approaching her prey.

 

Minjoo was wearing a backless fitted red dress that reached just above her knees, it was long sleeved but off-shoulders; it showed Minjoo’s slim yet toned snowy shoulders and firm collarbones. Her long back hair was wavy, staying over one shoulder. Her lips were painted red, looking so luscious and kissable. And her eyes were smoky. She was holding a huge clutch purse.

 

The taller woman was slightly stunned at her ex-lover’s beauty. Before, even though she saw Minjoo everyday, there were a lot of times that Yujin was going to be stunned at the older woman’s beauty. It was one of those frequent days.

 

She halted in front of her but Yujin still looked down a bit at Minjoo even though she was wearing heels. Yujin was also wearing stilettos but hers were shorter but even so, between the both of them — she was still taller.

 

Meanwhile, Yujin was wearing a long sleeve maxi blue dress that reached her ankles but there was a slit that showed off her toned, tanned leg. It was a v-neck, also showing off her collarbones and she was wearing a necklace with shining diamond dangling on her chest. Her hair was tied up into a high ponytail. There was a purse hanging on her shoulder that hid a gun nicely under.

 

Without a word, Yujin turned around, naturally snaking her arm around Minjoo’s slim waist and the touch burned — this was her signature move. She loved to wrap her arm around Minjoo’s slim waist whenever they were close like this. She missed the feeling but she knew she shouldn’t feel like this. Her pleasant perfume burned Yujin’s nose nicely.

 

Minjoo wordlessly pushed herself closer, and they started to walk, and perfectly blended in with the guests. Climbing on the stairs, and lined up. As they waited, Yujin finally gave in, leaning closer to Minjoo’s ear but the latter did not flinch, even instinctively arching her neck.

 

“You look gorgeous tonight, baby,” Yujin whispered as she gave in to the temptation to give out a sincere compliment, a little bit louder that other people could hear. The couple in front of them glanced at them with a knowing smile.

 

Minjoo smirked at her, also leaning closer to give out her reply, feeling her warm breath on her reddening ear. “Only tonight, honey?” whispered the older woman in a deep voice.

 

Yujin’s hold around her Minjoo’s waist tightened. “No. Always.” She answered immediately, not looking at her.

 

Good god, she could feel Minjoo’s smug smirk because she knew it wasn’t for the acting only.

 

“Hmm. You don’t look bad yourself.” Minjoo responded after a while, and Yujin took the compliment very gladly.

 

Heh, this acting of theirs reminded Yujin of their first meeting. Acting to real, and now, back to acting like a couple to fool people.

 

They managed to get inside the venue smoothly after handing out the copied invitation and confirming their identities in the guest list. As expected, the small gun was hidden perfectly in the purse and was not noticed, it was for emergency only anyway. They do not need guns for this mission but Yujin brought one, just in case. She had no idea if Minjoo brought one too because she didn’t know where she might’ve hidden it. Her purse was too small.

 

The venue was marvelous and well-decorated but Yujin did not even bat an eye on it, walking to the empty high table. They were immediately offered a glass of wine, and of course, they indulged in some good drinks. Only two glasses though for each of them until they finish this mission.

 

As they drank, the both of them kept subtly checking the guests until Yujin finally spotted their target, already downing herself with some tequila and already tipsy way even before the event had started. Nice.

 

She immediately leaned into Minjoo to tell her about that and the latter just nodded, not even glancing at their target’s location, just asking the exact table.

 

The event was about to start and Yujin started to check her surroundings, trying to spot someone unusual and Minjoo noticed it, eyeing her from across as she took a swig of her wine.

 

“You seem like you’re looking for someone?” asked Minjoo, and Yujin continued to look around for a few moments before turning her full attention to the older woman.

 

She hummed as a response, taking her own glass. “Yes. Just trying to spot someone who might suddenly appear out of blue and steal our mission,” She responded, sipping lightly on her own drink. The event was still not starting, and the murmur of the people around could only be heard, with the jazz music blasting off from the speakers.

 

Minjoo’s brow arched at that. “Huh? Who?” She was genuinely curious.

 

Yujin snorted, “That certain PNRM spy that liked to crash into my operation and steal the spotlight. It seemed like she wanted to kill me too, actually. She’s the reason why I almost got demoted too, Christ. I hate that assassin.” She whispers against the rim of her glasses.

 

In a daze, Minjoo took a sip from her glass again. “Huh, funny. A certain ONE assassin loved to steal my operation too and she did not just attempt to kill me one or twice, I lost track of the counts she tried to kill me. She was the reason I couldn’t do my missions well before because she’s a freaking pest.” She shared.

 

Yujin froze, her mind running when she heard Minjoo’s response, and same for the latter — also in a deep thought. It wasn’t really hard to connect the dots and create a conclusion. Once Yujin thought of the possibility, she turned to Minjoo with wide eyes, and the latter was the same, staring at her.

 

“Did you… Were you also in Daegu last year on March 21st?” Yujin quietly asked, and that day was actually the day Yujin would never forget that day because it was the day she almost died because of that annoying PNRM assassin that didn’t even warn her about the bomb.

 

Minjoo’s eyes narrowed, “Yes. I was on a one man mission to stop a huge drug shipment from Jeju.” She replied, finally getting enlightened. Minjoo let out a bitter giggle. “Same for you?”

 

Yujin went really tense, feeling her body go rigid. “Yeah. And I almost died because that PNRM assassin did not even warn me that the bomb hadn’t been defused and I was almost blown to pieces.” She responded pointedly. Oh god, this was ridiculous. Minjoo was that annoying assassin from the rivaling organization.

 

Fate must be toying them for real.

 

And to think most of those encounters happened when she was still happily in love with Minjoo. No, no. Insanity, this must be just a coincidence? , what coincidence, the answer was literally in front of her.

 

She hadn’t really seen the assassin’s face that close since the latter was more specialized on long-range attacks. So whenever they would meet, there was a huge distance. Once, they managed to see each other up close but both were wearing masks that time, and that was the time the assassin did not tell her about the freaking bomb. Yujin barely made it out alive that night, thankfully, she heard the ticking a few seconds before it exploded. And she had a late night dinner with Minjoo that day too!

 

Yujin went back home with a flustered face and ringing ears, trying to get over the fact that she almost died because of the explosion. Minjoo just looked at her worriedly that night, asking if her trip to the site around Daegu was alright because she heard that there was a bombing.

 

Oddly enough, Minjoo had a swollen cheek that night. And when Yujin asked her lover about it, she swiftly answered that she got distracted and walked straight into the pole. Coincidentally, Yujin punched the PNRM assassin that night after they fought on who was going to get the gun first. On the right side of the face too.

 

God damn it. Now that everything was put into place, Yujin couldn’t help but to think and went pale when she realized that it was perfectly aligned. Everything just made sense.

 

Minjoo glared at her, “In my defense, I was rushing to escape that place too and annoyingly, that ONE assassin punched me so I became petty.” She reasoned out.

 

Yujin laughed in disbelief, so it was true. Minjoo was really that annoying assassin. Lord, this couldn’t be serious. Why, why was the universe playing with them like this?

 

“So you are that assassin. Minjoo, what the hell? I failed my missions and almost got demoted twice—”

 

The event started so their intense exchange was cut off, and it was the beginning of their mission too. With a growl, Yujin just gave her a pointed look as if to say that they should talk about it and Minjoo did the same, looking away with a scowl.

 

After all this time, Yujin was trying to kill her (ex)girlfriend before?! And vice versa. She just wanted to laugh and laugh until she went mad, no, she was already insane. What if Yujin had managed to kill her for real? She would come home to learn that Minjoo got into an accident or what? Or if Minjoo was the one who killed her, what would happen?

 

She pushed off the thoughts, focusing on the mission instead.

 

As the governor spoke, Yujin closely eyed the woman who was downing herself in alcohol, some bodyguards were asking her to chill but the woman just hissed at them, continuing to drink. She shoved the men off and they were left with no choice, leaving her alone.

 

She then noticed some few male guests were staring hungrily at Minjoo and her. She did not mind the stare at her, but she did mind the weird gazes they were throwing at Minjoo’s direction. Throwing them a death glare, Yujin scooted closer to Minjoo, wrapping her arm around the latter’s waist. She felt Minjoo went a little bit stiff under her touch but she relaxed on her hold immediately.

 

“You hacked the cams already?” Yujin whispered, leaning closer to Minjoo’s ear to the point her upper lip was touching the woman’s earlobe.

 

The older woman just snuggled closer, feeling comfortable. “Yes. I already hacked the whole system. The security is pretty ty here. I have them all under control.” She responded back under her breath, turning on her phone again, then showed Yujin the view of the cams she hacked around the place.

 

Yujin was really surprised at Minjoo’s hacking skills but then, this was inside the area of her expertise since she was more on long-range. The taller woman nodded, and when she checked the table where the target was staying, she was nowhere to be found.

 

She roamed her eyes around and searched for her, luckily, she spotted her immediately — going to the bathroom. Perfect timing. “Drunkie is moving.” She whispered to Minjoo, and the latter just nodded, placing her empty wine glass on the table and the both of them walked together, trailing behind their target while smiling at each other like a lovely couple, talking about random stuff.

 

“We really need to talk later,” Yujin chirped bitterly at Minjoo, smiling at her fake lover.

 

Minjoo returned the grin, her eyes were hard. “Of course, darling. I will never let your wrongdoings pass like that.” She responded back then giggled afterwards, entering the empty bathroom hall.

 

Yujin checked the security camera attached on the side. Minjoo noticed her subtle gaze, whipping her phone out then rapidly pressing on the screen. “Everything’s clear. I stopped the recording but it made them look like the cameras were still filming everywhere. I already turned them off after we stepped inside the building.” She whispered, “Go. Make it fast and I’ll stay here as a lookout. I’ll also make sure that they won’t recover the whole system back.”

 

With a nod, Yujin entered the bathroom. One stall was occupied and their target wasn’t anywhere to be found so she must be using that stall. Checking the bathroom if there was a hidden camera and made sure that there wasn’t, she stared at her own reflection as she fiddled with her necklace and waited patiently.

 

This was going to be fast for sure.

 

Once the stall opened, Yujin turned around and pushed the woman back inside again, locking the door. The drunk woman was surprised but she wasn’t still getting over the shock when Yujin started to strangle her. The target started to choke, trying to get off from her grip, holding her arm tight.

 

Yujin took off the diamond from her necklace then shoved it into the woman’s mouth. She resisted but Yujin pushed her into the wall, and harshly lifted her chin up until the drunk woman swallowed the poison forcefully, choking on it.

 

Without putting much effort, Yujin nonchalantly angled the other woman’s face upwards even more to the point she was looking up to the ceiling, almost bending her neck backwards.

 

This woman deserved torture and not this kind of death actually. She was the wife of the deceased leader of a human trafficking group. She was the one who was going to handle her dead husband’s illegal business. After killing her, they would let the government do their own thing and stay behind the shadows as usual.

 

Yujin tightened her hold around the woman’s neck, and when she saw that she was already turning blue and gasping for air. The assassin let go of her, letting her sit beside the toilet seat as she held her own neck, continuing to struggle to breathe and kept choking until started to foam. Poor her, she couldn’t even scream.

 

With a sigh, Yujin held the woman by the hair and pulled her upwards, and let her sit on the seat, looking like she was using it. Yujin waited for a few moments until the woman was not even breathing anymore, her pupils rolling on the back of her head. Yujin did not look away, she was used to this sight. She witnessed and did a lot worse than this.

 

Killing was normal for her too. It did not bother her anymore, killing someone was like killing a mosquito to her. She got used to it and her heart already went cold because of her job.

 

After that, she went out of the stall, and locked it, leaving the dying woman behind. And as if on cue, Minjoo entered the bathroom. “Are you done?” asked the woman, approaching her as she glanced at the closed stall.

 

Yujin nodded, and they were about to get out of the bathroom fast when it was opened again. Out of reflex, Yujin pinned Minjoo on the wall, leaning against the side of her face, her hands firmly planted on the older woman’s hips. Minjoo instinctively wrapped her arms around Yujin’s neck and shoulder, pulling her close.

 

The newcomer was surprised at the intimate couple, flinching at the scene she just walked on, and blushing that she interrupted their session. “I’m so sorry! I-I’ll just go,” The stranger said, embarrassed — she immediately fled away.

 

Yujin let out a relieved sigh. “Let’s go back,” She whispered as she turned to Minjoo, surprised at their close proximity that she could feel Minjoo’s warm breath fanning on her face.

 

It had been a while since they were close like this, to the point Yujin could see the flecks in Minjoo’s irises, and her soul. She missed this, no lie. One move and their lips could touch.

 

And before Yujin could do something that she would regret later on, she immediately detached herself from Minjoo like she got burned. Professional. Be professional, she reminded herself. Minjoo was also flushed at what happened but did not say anything, clearing .

 

They then walked outside the bathroom, fortunately, the hallway was still empty. They swiftly went back to the main event, trying to enjoy the boring party. Both of them enjoyed the expensive wine though.

 

After an hour, finally, they noticed that something was wrong. The guards were frantic because their boss was nowhere to be found, still. Finally, soon enough, she was found, already dead — it caused a huge ruckus and every guest was horrified at the sudden announcement.

 

Unfortunately for the other guests, the party was cut short. And they needed to undergo some checking because of what happened, Yujin and Minjoo managed to go out smoothly though, no one suspected them. On the way to the headquarters, it was silent and Yujin could only say to break the silence, “We’re lucky we didn’t manage to kill each other, I guess.” She grumbled under her breath.

 

She still held a grudge because of it but after learning it was Minjoo, she wasn’t too desperate for revenge anymore. It was the same for Minjoo, the latter just nodded. “It already happened, let’s just work well together,” She whispered, and Yujin let out a snort. “But I will never forgive you for shooting the rocket launcher towards the building I was at that almost killed me in the process.” added Minjoo bitterly.

 

Yujin glanced at her ex-lover, squinting her eyes. “Shut it. You’ve done much worse.”

 

They continued to quarrel over that pettily and to the point it went personal. Minjoo called her a big fat liar because Yujin’s excuse was always visiting a site. Yujin called her that too because Minjoo’s excuse was having a seminar with the teachers and tutoring the students. In the end, they agreed that they were both big fat liars and apologized for what they did — they never expected for these things to happen after all.

 

Yujin would never admit it out loud but quarreling with Minjoo like this. She missed it. She simply missed everything, even the fact that she was driving the both of them towards their destination. Yujin missed Minjoo. And she hoped that Minjoo missed her too.

 

***

 

A/N: okay, updates will be slightly faster than usual since of course, this is a commission ADHSADHAHDHS i hope i can finish this by next week. hopefully you guys are enjoying it so far! there might be some mistakes and i apologize for that since i could only proofread this once.

 

i had a small mistake in the previous chapter. i wrote tokyo instead of nagoya lol but yea, i hope the killings dont make yall uncomfy - you guys will read something a lot worse than this soon lmfao

 

please share your thoughts by commenting! upvotes and subs are also appreciated a lot. <3 stay safe as always!