CHAPTER 1: Hiding and Out

If the world was ending
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa's Pov

 

 

My family and I are in front of our television sitting on our broken blue camelback sofa that was given by my dead grandmother years ago. We are not privileged. My mother, Chittip, is working as a dishwasher in a restaurant nearby. Her salary is just enough to make ends meet. Thankfully, we still eat three square meals a day.

 

My father Marco is unemployed since he's too old to work. He might just have broken his bones from working. We don't want that to happen since we don't have the money for the hospital fees.

 

I have an older brother, BamBam. He is old enough to work and help my Mom pay our bills, but he said that working is not for him. He rather make songs and makes himself a name in the music industry. Therefore, he dropped out of school. However, it's been a lot of years now and there's still no sign of improvements in his career.

 

For me, I'm still studying at this university that my mother picked for me. I'm currently taking psychology. It's not my choice, to be honest. I really wanted to take fine arts, but in my current situation, the only right thing to do is to be practical.

 

We were currently watching a reality show on our old tube TV when suddenly a gay couple appeared in an advertisement.

 

"Look at that Marco! Why would they show that on TV?!"

 

"Right Chittip, Women are only for Men and Men are only for Women"

 

I always feel nervous every time my parents talk and insult gay people. It feels like they're insulting me too, and it's not helping. It's just making me more anxious and more afraid. It's making me hate myself a lot for being like me. It's making me think that being true to myself is a sin.

 

"I second that brother"

 

We take our eyes off on the television as soon as we hear the manly voice. We saw a man in his working clothes in front of the open wooden door.

 

"Jun my brother! Come here and sit with us!"

 

That's my uncle Jun. He lives with us because he's unmarried and has no children. Basically, he doesn't have someone to take care of him. He's already a senior but he's still working as a toilet cleaner.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter