Final

Beyond the Season
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I went out of the house, and made my way towards one of the cafes in town. As I walked, I could perfectly see almost everyone passing wearing sweaters and bonnets while holding gifts that they bought for Christmas with smiles on their faces.

How could they do that? Winter, the season, is boring. You have to wear thicker clothes over a dozen other layers. I'm wearing three shirts topped with a sweater already and I'm still freezing. I buried my hands in my pockets while trying to bury half of my face in my scarf. 

The pavements are covered and piled up with snow, making the ground slippery, and making it hard for the vehicles to drive along the roads.

When it snows really bad, I have to wake up early to shovel all the snow outside the front door, just so I wouldn't be stuck in the house for the whole season. Another reason why I hate this season is because less ice cream shops are open. They would most likely be closed for the season, or they wouldn't bother restocking. 

I sighed as I kicked on the snow on the pavement. To say that I hate winter is an understatement, more so because it has the same name as me.

I went inside my favorite cafe, stopping right in front of the counter. The cashier asked me what I wanted. If this were any other time, I would have answered automatically. Not this time though. As much as I would have loved to eat ice cream right now, there was a big "Not Available" sticker on top of all flavors of ice cream displayed behind her, just above her head.

"Sorry Winter, no ice cream." Giselle, my friend who works part time here, gave me a sad smile. I settled for something to keep me warm.

I took a a seat on my favorite spot in that cafe, which was the one near the glass window of the cafe. I sighed as I sipped on my cup of coffee, while observing kids playing in the snow and throwing each other snowballs. A kid got hit with one, and I watched as she threw one back at her friend, grinning in satisfaction when it hit him in the face.

I shifted my eyes to a new bunch of kids who were lying on the ground, making snow angels. I grimaced at their childishness. I have never approved the idea of snow angels. They are weird, and are the most ridiculous thing. They're products of kids' imaginations which are nothing but mere designs on the snow made by moving their arms up and down, and their legs from side to side.

Also, what if the kids didn't know that there might be dog poop or dog pee just under the spot they're lying on? I shook my head and looked at my cup. I have already finished it but it didn't exactly serve its purpose. I was still basically freezing. 

Curse this winter.

Perhaps I should order another one. I called for Giselle's attention and raised my cup. Thankfully, she understood what I meant and gave me a thumbs up as she punched my order in.

"Dad, one more shot here!"

I was inside but I could hear a voice from the outside. The loud voice made me glance one more time out the window, and my gaze landed on the owner of the voice. She wearing an all white dress with matching white wings.

After a camera shot was taken, her eyes landed on me through the window and she smiled. I blinked as I took the sight in. Her eyes turned into crescents while showing her perfectly white teeth. Suddenly, a second cup of coffee was no longer needed. Her smile was able to give me the effect that no amount of coffee could have ever given me.

If you were to tell me now that snow angels were real, I would've taken all my words back from earlier. I would've believed you because I'm pretty sure the girl outside smiling at me is one of them.

Because of shock, I haven't managed to smile back at her. Her companion called for her attention, and it successfully tore her eyes away from me. The man walked away after she nodded her head.

"Here is your cup of coffee, miss." I thanked the waitress as I pulled the cup closer to me. Indeed, this second cup of coffee really is unnecessary now. After what that girl just made me feel... I regret not smiling back at her. I blamed my body for the lack of reaction. She must've thought that I was some rude girl for not smiling.

I wasn't gonna let that happen.

My head turned back to the side, trying to find the beautiful girl I saw earlier through the window. I looked left and right, but she was nowhere in sight. I scooted closer towards the glass window, pressing my cheek and plams against it. I can't believe I lost her! I can't bel-

"Excuse me."

"Gaaah!" 

I jerked back in surprise before the humiliation kicked in. I must have looked like an idiot pressing her face against the window looking for a certain snow angel. I covered my face with my palms while taking a couple of deep breaths. Maybe I've had too much coffee.

"I'm sorry for surprising you but I couldn't find any empty booths, is this seat taken?"

Remembering the voice that startled me, I slowly removed my palms and looked sidewards.

White.

That was the first thing that greeted me. My eyes decided to trail upwards, and was greeted by another thing.

Wings.

I decided to trail my eyes up some more 'til I saw her face. And there, just literally beside me stood the snow angel I saw outside the window just a minute ago with the same crescent eyes and beautiful smile. A mole was also sitting just below her lips, making her smile even more prettier. I almost fainted. At loss for words, I couldn't even say anything, but thank goodness I managed to at least shake my head.

"May I join you?" She asked once more, but still, I could only nod. She proceeded towards the opposite booth, took her wings off, then sat in front of me. "Thank you." She let out a small smile.

"Y-yow Welcum." My response instantly made her smile wider, effectively sending a blush to my cheeks. I readjusted my scarf in attempt to hide them. When I looked up, she was still looking at me. I was beginning to feel awkward but as much as I would like to start a conversation, I wasn't particulartly good with english. But then again... I was sitting in front of a beautiful lady. Am I going to let this chance go to waste?

"Hel-low." That sounded bad. She stared at me for a bit, probably amazed that I initiated a conversation.

"Hi."

"Aah you Amelicun?" I was worried she wouldn't understand my enunciation but thankfully, after she blinked and giggled, she nodded. What should I say now? I'm out of english words. Uhh... how do you say it's really cold in english? . I brought my hands up and rubbed them together, then hugged my arms while pretending to have chills. She tilted her head, probably figuring out what I wanted to say.

"It's really cold?"

"Yeah! You got it."  I smiled at her response that she was able to figure it out through my mini charades. But my eyes widened and the smile on my face slowly turned into shock when I realized something. "D-did you just answer me in korean?"

The girl in front of me laughed, showing me her beautiful smile, accentuated by her mole, that I've grown to really like despite only seeing it for about three times. I waited for her to calm down and reply.

"Yes, I can speak and understand korean."

"Ohh..." I scratched the back of my head in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry for my poor English skills."

"It's okay, you were cute."

Cute? Did she just call me cute?

I was about to re-adjust my scarf, only to realize that it was already on my lap. I looked up to see her giggling. Oh my God. Did she just see me blush? I let out an awkward fake cough, just to get over it. By the time I glanced on her, she had her arms crossed, but I noticed that she was slightly shivering, probably only suppressing it. She's cold. How could she not be? All she was wearing was a three- fourths fluffy dress, and a pair of wings. That's basically it. That was when I remembered the second cup of coffee I've ordered, which was almost forgotten, right in front of me.

"Here, you can have this coffee." I told her as I slowly pushed the cup towards her. She looked at the cup of coffee right in front of her, then she lifted her head and gave me a confused look.  I shrugged. "You're shivering."

"But how about you?"

"It's okay, I already had a cup of coffee earlier, and that's supposed to be my second one, but I'm kinda full already. Please take it." She stared at it once more, probably contemplating whether to take it or not. "Drink it while it's still hot." She looked at me and I smiled sincerely, hoping she would accept it.

"Thank you." She gave me a smile, the widest one I've seen on her so far, and took a sip.

"I saw you outside earlier, with your dad." I caught her attention as she placed the cup down. "You were wearing... that." I pointed at something behind her which made her look, then she laughed in embarrassment right after.

"Ahh yes... he was taking a picture of me outside wearing this outfit and these wings" She pointed at the fluffy, feathery wings behind her as she shook her head. "It's for my school project. I was supposed to be a snow angel." She laughed.  I gulped. I know I said I hated snow angels but if this gorgeous lady is dressed up as a snow angel, how could I even hate them?

"I see. I was wondering why I saw someone wearing a dress and a pair of wings in this kind of weather." I .

"Hey! I was embarrassed too. The kids were literally staring at me. Even those who were playing with the snow stopped to watch as my father snapped some photos of me in this outfit."

I couldn't blame them though. If I saw someone dressed up as a snow angel as beautiful as her, I wouldn't even think twice to stop and admire too. I met her eyes and she was staring at me with a tinge of pink on her cheeks. I was just about to raise my eyebrows when she muttered,

"Thanks."

My eyes widened. Did I just say that out loud? . I suddenly needed a fan or something. It was getting too hot in this cafe. I felt myself sweating under the layers of shirts I had on.

"Then why didn't you shoot in America instead? Isn't it winter there too?" It was effective enough to break the atmosphere. She laughed at my question and I realized how stupid it was.

"Well, yeah but it's been a while since we last visited Korea. Also, I thought it would be nice if we could spend the break here and do my project here instead. We're currently on Christmas vacation. Our professor asked us to work on a project during this break, and he was kind enough to let us choose our desired subject."

"What's your project all about?" The girl smiled, which brought a smile to my face as well.

"winter."

My smile turned upside down upon hearing it. It was clear that loves the season I hate the most. But despite that, there's something about this girl that really sparks my curiosity up. And I wanted to know more about her so I tried to divert the topic a bit. I found out that she was with her dad, and that he went back to their car to check in a hotel to place their belongings there. He told her to wait for him first, but she went inside the cafe because it was too cold outside. That and... because it was embarrassing for her to stay outside while wearing that outfit. We talked some more, and I didn't realize that I was actually having a pretty comfortable conversation with her. I extended my hand in front of me.

"Hey, nice meeting you. I'm Win-"

"Winter!" I turned to the counter to see Giselle holding up the cafe's phone. "Phone's for you!" I glanced back at the girl in front of me and apologized to excuse myself, and she smiled and nodded. Giselle mouthed an "I'm sorry"  and I mouthed an "It's okay" back at her before I took the phone.

"Hello?"

"Winter Kim! why the hell didn't you ask permission before leaving the house?!" I had to pull the phone away because of her loud voice.

"You were asleep, mom."

"And you left your freaking phone!"

"I'm sorry mom, I didn't intend to take this long."

"Then hurry up and go home!"

"Yes, mom." 

I hung up and sighed. As usual, my mother was having her morning tempers again. After I thanked Giselle and paid for the phone bill, I turned around to walk back to my booth where I was having an enjoyable conversation with a snow angel, but after a couple of steps, I found the booth empty. I looked left and right, and I even checked the restroom to see if she just needed to use it, but she wasn't there.

She left.

Without saying anything.

And I didn't even know her name.

With a frown on my face, I approached the booth we previously occupied. I grabbed my scarf, and with a sigh, I wrapped it around my neck. I was about to turn around my heel when I noticed something scribbled on the table napkin. I brought it up and read.

 

"Nice to meet you, Winter. Thank you so much for the cup of coffee. I owe you one. ;)"

I noticed a dog ear at the corner of the napkin, and as I unfolded it, a smile made its way to my face.                                                                           

"- Snow Angel Karina O:)"

 

I came running back to the cafe the next day. I almost slipped on the pavement while running, but it didn't stop me. I pushed the door open, catching my breath as I entered. Even Giselle was surprised to see me there so early. It's barely been five minutes since the shop opened, but I didn't care. I didn't want to waste chances.

"Oh Winter? You're here early. What's up?" I simply shook my head, with my hands on my knees. I approached Giselle by the counter and ordered another cup of coffee before occupying the same booth I sat on yesterday. My eyes automatically looked through the glass window. As usual, there were kids playing on the snow and throwing each other snowballs, but I couldn't find the beautiful snow angel I laid my eyes on yesterday. I kept raising my head whenever the door of the cafe would open, until my neck started to hurt. 

My gaze landed back on the empty cup of coffee, and I sighed. Hoping to find her here again was crazy enough, but waiting for two hours hoping I'd see her again in this cafe was crazier. Feeling dejected, I stood up and walked out the cafe, giving Giselle a small smile while on the way out.

The weather was too cold today, even colder than yesterday, but for some reason, my feet didn't take me home yet. Instead, it dragged me to the plaza in town. I let myself rest on one of the benches, finding it both funny and amusing how I ended up here. In front of me, though many meters away, stood the giant Christmas tree at the middle of the plaza. It made me smile a bit, as it reminded me of the past... of the good times. Christmas. Saying it in my mind doesn't give me the same excitement and reaction as it used to. The cold wind hit my neck, causing me to shiver.  

"Hey there. Is this seat taken?"

"No." It took a second later for me to realize that the voice I just heard was too familiar. My head shot up to confirm my suspicion, and the other person's face started to mirror the surprise on my face. She slowly pointed her finger at me as opened. "You were the one at the cafe yesterday. Winter, right?" My eyes widened, but I slowly nodded. Her eyes started to disappear into crescents, happy that she was able to remember my name, but I was still a bit confused as to how she knew my name.

"H-how do you know my name?" She giggled as she sat down next to me.

"I heard it from the cashier yesterday. She called out your name when someone called for you on the phone, remember?" I looked to the side and my mouth formed an "o" shape as I now recalled.

"Oh yeah, I remember."

"By the way, I'm sorry I suddenly disappeared yesterday. I saw my dad looking for me outside the cafe, and I had to go, but you were still on the phone. I didn't really want to leave without saying goodbye even if we barely even knew each other 'cause I had fun talking to you, so I grabbed the pencil by the table napkin organizer and left a note on the table. It was when I realized that we haven't really introduced ourselves to each other yet, but thank goodness I heard your name through the cashier. I hope it didn't get blown away by the wind or something."

"Oh, it's okay. I did find it on the table when I returned." She exhaled in relief and stared at her feet which were brushing the snow on the ground.

"Karina..."

"Hm?" She looked at me with raised brows. It earned a smile on my face.

"Nothing. I just wanted to make sure that it was really your name written on the folded part of the napkin."

"Well then, let me introduce myself more formally. I'm Karina Yu." She extended her arms towards me.

"Nice to meet you, Karina. I'm Win-"

"Winter." She cut me off.

"Yeah, you're right." She laughed at me and I couldn't help but laugh along with her. Karina's smile was contagious.

"Well then, Winter, what are you doing out here this early?"

"I..." I couldn't really tell her that I was looking for a particular snow angel, which was unfortunately the one asking me right now. "I was just... going for a morning walk." What a stupid lie.

"And is that why you ended up seated here on this bench?" My eyes widened.

"Uhh.... umm... you see..." She smiled.

"Did you grab coffee at the cafe again?"

"Well, yeah." At least that wasn't a lie anymore.

"It seems like you're a fan of coffee."

"Not really but... I just really needed to drink something warm, especially in this season. I'd still prefer ice cream over coffee any time."

"You can still eat ice cream even if it's winter."

"Yeah, I know but..."

"Then what's stopping you?" My head turned to her, kind of surprised with her answer.

"Don't you find it a bit weird?" Her eyebrows furrowed but she laughed. 

"No. Not at all. Why would I?"

My lips unconsciously curved upwards. "You're cool." She blinked and her eyebrows raised, and I realized I might have taken her aback.

"I-I mean... it's just that most people would find it weird to see me eating ice cream during winter. That's all. Sorry."

She waved her hands in front of me. "Hey, it's okay Winter. You don't need to apologize. I was just a little surprised, but it's fine." I nodded, relieved that I didn't creep her out or anything like that.

"But they're mostly unavailable this season anyway. I could barely see an ice cream shop open especially during Christmas season." I sighed before turning my head to the side. "How about you? What are you doing out here? And you're alone. Aren't you supposed to be with your dad?" I looked behind us, checking to see if she was with someone.

"Well, I was really bored at the hotel so I asked my dad if I could go outside, roam around town or something."

"I see. But isn't it that you haven't been here for long? What if you get lost?"

"I told him I wouldn't go out of town. I'd text him when I'm about to go home so he'll come pick me up."

"Even so."

"It's fine. And besides, I have a project, remember?" She raised her camera, which I didn't even notice was hanging from her neck in the first place. "I was hoping he'd come with me though but he said he still was tired. I kinda needed some ideas where to shoot and take pictures of stuff." She said while fiddling with the buttons of the camera.

"Do you need any help with your project? I can help you." Her head immediately turned to me.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I could tour you around town too if you'd like."

"Wow. Winter, you don't have to do that."

"But I want to. And besides, I wouldn't want a snow angel to get lost in town all by herself." She covered to suppress her embarassed laugh but then held her gentle gaze at me.

"Gee, thanks Winter. That's really sweet."

Sweet? I felt my cheeks heat up so I immediately turned my head the other way.

"I-it's nothing."

-

"Do you know a place where the snow is piled up a bit high?" I thought for a while. I continued walking along the streets with Karina beside me.

"Mm... I think I know a place. It's near our neighborhood. I think I just passed by this huge pile of snow this morning."

"That's great! Let's go see it!" I suppressed a smile, shaking my head instead, finding her excitement adorable.

"There it is." I pointed at the park where there was indeed a big and huge snow pile. Kids were already playing on it. I waited as she snapped a photo of the pile, then turned to look at me.

"Are you sure you really want to help me, Winter?" 

"Of course."

"Then can I ask a favor?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Can you lie down on that pile of snow and make a snow angel for me?" My eyes instantly widened.

"A...a snow angel?"

"Yeah."

Out of all favors, she just had to ask me to make a snow angel.

"Umm.. s-sure." I didn't really know how to make one. Sure, I've watched kids make them a lot of times before, but I've never actually tried making one. Karina wanted me to make one though, and I didn't want to turn her down. After all, I did say I wanted to help her finish her project. Slowly, I made my way towards the pile of snow. I stopped, and for a brief moment, I turned my head towards a kid who was currently making a snow angel. 

You can do it, Winter.

I settled on one spot as I laid down. I spread my arms and my feet. My eyes landed on Karina who was waiting for me in anticipation.

You can do it, Winter. 

I took a deep breath before I looked up at the sky. Here goes nothing. I started moving my arms up and down, and my feet to the side. I noticed Karina snap a photo, before lowering her camera to observe what I was doing. I didn't know how much longer I should still be doing this, so I just stopped. I sat up before pushing my hands on the ground to stand, but as I was doing so, I accidentally tripped to the side, dragging my foot along the snow, landing face first on the snowy pile. I heard a shutter, followed by an uncontrollable laughter. I raised my head from the snow, thinking that she was laughing because I fell. When I stood up and walked towards her though, she still didn't stop laughing.

"Was it really that funny?" Karina rested one of her hands on my shoulder while her other hand rested on top of . She then slowly made me face the spot I laid on, and at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter