Whispers in the dark

Late Night Lights Dimmed [Oneshot]

There will only be 3 types of knocks on the door this late at night.

The first knock is the most frequent. A rapid, quick fire knock and the response is always the same. Hyunseung at home alone and a rap on his door. And he always opens without looking because he knows who it will be. They will sit in the dark, because Hyunseung doesn't ever turn the light on when the knocks are like that. Because Hyunseung knows how the other hates to be seen when he's weak. And right now he is at his weakest, so the darkness will soothe him some, cradle him and hide some of his pain. Hyunseung doesn't tell him that he doesn't think he is weak, that he is the strongest person he knows. That Hyunseung is the weak one, because he doesn't have the strength necessary to make the other feel better. So they sit, in the dark, moulded into each other as Hyunseung watches his friend bawl his eyes out. Until he is tired and finally falls asleep. His head on Hyunseung shoulder and Hyunseung burning from the inside out.
Sometimes the knock is angry, and by this time Hyunseung can tell the difference, he can turn the light on for anger. When it's anger Hyunseung sits alone on the sofa, watching his friend pace back and forth muttering about his rage, about "how could she", about how he could kill someone. But Hyunseung just waits, and when the anger starts to simmer he offers tea and a place for the night, and when the anger is gone he will switch the lights off and soothe his friend to sleep. Hyunseung will think for the umpteenth time that his friend really is an idiot as he his jet black hair. And Hyunseung will fall asleep, with his friend's head in his lap and his heart racing in his chest.
Sometimes the knock is soft, like a whisper, those are the worst times. Those are the times when Hyunseung will dim the lights because he doesn't want the harsh light to be cruel to the man at his door. The whispered knock will be followed by arms embracing him before the door is even fully opened, a sigh into his neck and lashes against his cheeks. And Hyunseung will respond. Will hug back and soothe and await what will come. He will sit and listen to the whispered questions of the man he loves. "why doesn't she love me back", "Why does she break my heart", "Am I not good enough", " Don't I deserve to be happy". These are the times when Hyunseung is weakest, because he can't find the strength to say "she doesn't deserve you", "she hasn't earned your heart", "you are too good for her", "I can make you happy". These times makes Hyunseung feel pathetic, makes his lungs burn from holding in sobs and his eyes sting from holding back acid tears. These are the times when he grips a little to harshly on the body beside him, when his muddled mind yells at him clearly. These are the times that he wants to shake the man in his arms, to wake him up, to say "I'm here, late nights and dimmed lights. I'm here, always for you"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyunseung is his best friend.

 

The person he turns to when the world feels like its against him, when things go wrong, when things go right. Hyunseung. Hyunseung thinks he is weak, but Doojoon has never met anyone stronger, that is why he turns to him when the calm turns to storm. Lately Doojoon knows he has been turning to Hyunseung alot. Because things have been going wrong, all the time and its all because of Sunhee. Because of her Doojoon finds himself outside Hyunseung's door, he can never quite recall how he gets there, just that when his head or heart hurts he finds himself there. 


Hyunseung's door is red. 
Red like every emotion Doojoon feels.
Red like his anger, red like his bleeding heart, raw red like his tear soaked eyes.
Because sometimes, when Doojoon knocks on the door, he is already crying. Sometimes he is already heartbroken. Sometimes he is already furiously angered. And Hyunseung always answers the door, like he already knows how Doojoon will be feeling. And Hyunseung always knows just what to do. When Doojoon is crying like his very soul is on fire because Sunhee has cheated, again. Hyunseung holds him, rocks him like a baby and soothed him until he sleeps. When Doojoon is infruriated, to the point that he can't see straight, because Sunhee doesn't understand...anything about him, because "she's just sooo selfish". Hyunseung sits and watches him, allows him to blow off steam, then makes his favourite tea and soothes him to sleep. When Doojoon is lost, because he loves Sunhee. Right? Doesn't he?
Hyunseung holds him, wraps himself around him and protects him from himself. Doojoon doesn't know when he started finding it hard to fall asleep without a hand passing through his hair, without his head resting on Hyunseung's lap, without the dimmed lights and soothing voice.

 

Because now, sometimes, he causes an argument, so Sunhee will ask him to leave, so he can stand outside that red door. Sometimes he accuses her of cheating so he can storm out and lay his head on Hyunseung's lap. Sometimes he says mean things, because he knows Sunhee and she will always be meaner. So he can feel arms wrapped around, because for some reason Hyunseung calms his heart and causes it to race. Hyunseung helps him catch his breathe and leaves him breathless. Hyunseung clears his mind and leaves him confused. Because sometimes in the dark, just as he is falling asleep he swears he hears Hyunseung say he loves him and sometimes he whispers it back.

END.

 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N: Okay so I hope this wasn't disappointing. 
This story kind of wrote itself, it was an odd experience, but I am very happy with how it turned out.
I hope you all enjoy and if you don't please tell me why (nicely), so I can improve.