Uncertain

Am I Ready

Anxious, that is one way to describe what Yuri is feeling right now as she watch people outside the cafe, excited to welcome the new year incoming. The opposite can be said about her, she takes a sip of her hot drink and takes a look at the sweet couples in the cafe. "We used to be like that too." She smiles bitterly it's been 5 months since her lover broke up with her, but she still remembers it as if it was yesterday and she still hasn't moved on.

Flash Back - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yuri is a novel writer working for a pubishing company, it's been almost a year since her last piece .and thus her company has been expecting her latest work for a few months now. Well she herself expected that by now she'd be resting and done with her story already but what can she do when she's faced with arguably the biggest writer's block of her career.

She takes a three-day vacation leave to relax and perhaps assemble her thoughts to come up with a plot, and also to spend time with her lover who she haven't spent a long time with, so on the very first day of her leave she went to Hyewon's apartment.

As expected she entered a messy apartment, Hyewon's never been the one to keep her place clean anyway, but that doesn't reduce the amount of love yuri has for the said person. She enters the older's room to see her peacefully sleeping, she sits next to the sleeping girl and caresses her cheeks, she'll surely make up to her for not spending enough time together.

Seeing the mess around her she rolls up her sleeves and gets ready to clean the apartment, and while she was arranging the shelves she saw their couple picture lying down. She picks it up with a fond smile on her lips. "That brat seriously, I know she's messy but she could have at least taken care of our photo" she thinks. If only she knew it was a sign of what's about to happen.

Once the younger was satisfied with her work she went to the kitchen to whip up some quick lunch for them, she opened the refrigerator to see it almost empty she inspects the content to see what she can work with/ "We'll have to do some grocery shopping later." She takes a note mentally. While she's cooking and after a while she hears the bedroom door opening, "About time you woke up sleepy-head" she comments while giggling,"Oh good morning, when did you arrive" the older greets.

Weird, she thinks there's something missing from her tone, but she shrugs it off and thinks it's just because Hyewon is tired. She feels her lover walking towards her and thus she was expecting either a peck in the cheeks or at least a back-hug, but nothing there was nothing. The older just took water from the refrigerator and nothing more, she was disappointed and but let it pass and started serving their lunch.

"Let's go grocery shopping, your refrigerator is basically empty" Yuri says.
"Huh? Yeah sure let's go" Hyewon replies flatly
"We can go on a date too, we haven't been in one for so long." she states excitedly ignoring the dead-look on her lover's face.

Once they finished their lunch the couple went on a date as planned exploring the mall and enjoying at a cafe, when Yuri saw a dress shop that caught her eye she dragged the older inside to check out some clothes.

"So, what do you think? She enthusiastically asked showing a red short sleeveless dress.
"Lovely, you look lovely." Hye replied but the younger's not convinced.
"Hmm, your tone says otherwise, please give me that dress." Yuri states pointing at another dress.
This cycle continued again and again until.
"How about this? How does this look?" Yuri asked for the nth time.
"You look pretty whatever you wear, so can you just please choose one so we can go home already?" The older replied, irritation evident on her tone.
At this point Yuri is both shocked and pissed at the attitude of her lover, she holds back the urge to just scream and question the older and instead she tells the saleslady that they'll come back some other time and went home.

The ride back home was nowhere pleasant, the atmosphere was awkward and no one dared to talk with the tension almost suffocating the younger.
Yuri enters the apartment quickly and put down the groceries before asking. "What was that about?"
"What do you mean?" Hyewon asks back
"You know exactly what I'm talking about, are you that pissed with the idea of spending time with me?"
"It's not like that, I was just exhausted and I wanted to rest" 
"Exhausted? You've been like this since you woke up! I was so excited to spend the day with and there you are just... just ugh!"Yuri just groans unable to complete her sentence
"Like what? I told you I'm just tired, I've been busy these days why can't you understand?" Hye states visibly pissed off
"Maybe if you spent more time with me you'd actually understand" The older continues before Yuri could reply.
"So it's because of that? I thought you understood my side?" Yuri answers back flabbergasted. "I've told you again and again, I'll make it up to you once I was done."
"All I asked for was some time and patience, and now I found the opportunity I was trying to make it up to you."
"Patience? How much longer do I have to wait for you? Look I understand that you love your work and are prioritizing it, however I'm human too Yuri. It would've been fine if I felt like I was your second priority next to your work, but no. You made me feel like I wasn't important to you at all!" Hyewon was now screaming at the younger failing to keep herself calm.

"What? You know it's not like that unnie, you're very important to me" Yuri barely manages to reply
"Yuri it's just... I know it's hard for us both okay? We're tired from our own problems and work. I don't know when it started but I guess amidst all this I just drifted away from you, I started to feel distant because you were always so busy, I tried and tried to ask you out and have some time together but you always put me aside, and in the end" The older sighs before continuing " in the end the flame of my love for you died down." Hyewon finishes looking at the carpet instead of her lover's eyes.

Yuri feels her chest tighten, heart heavy trying to hold back tears threatening to spill.
"So...are you saying... that you don't love me anymore?" Yuri manages to ask voice barely audible. 
"Yuri listen...It's not like I wanted this to happen, it's just that we were always away from each other there's nothing wrong with you or me. It's just time and distance killed our relationship okay?" Hyewon tries to state calmly not wanting to hurt the younger too much.
Yuri hearing this refuses to believe what she heard. This can't happen to her and her lover of 3 and a half years, never did she imagine that time will tear them apart, nevertheless she still wants to try "Unnie listen we can still work this out. You're just really tired, I'm sorry for lashing out on you. I won't do it again, please we can still fix this." She states meekly almost inaudible with how small her voice is but the begging tone is present.
"No Yuri, I'm afraid this is the end for us, I guess this is what they meant by falling out of love, I'm sorry Yuri but I really don't love you anymore" and with that Hyewon looks at her sadly before saying "Let's go, I'll take you home"

The ride back to Yuri's home was filled with tears from the younger girl she was basically sobbing and trying to get Hyewon back but to no avail it failed and now in her room all that's running in her mind is her ex-lover's voice repeating the things she said again and again shattering her heart.

End of flashback - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With that memory she feels her heart aching yet again and her eyes heating up, tears forming. Looking back at that, event instead of that leave bringing her renewed inspiration it brought her what seems to be endless pain and led her to a much bigger of a slump than she was before, she requested to rest for a few months and her boss being understanding and such granted her request since she's their most hard-working writer.

Here she is in a cafe questioning life and her future wondering if she'll be ever be able to recover, but also she tries encourages herself and tells herself to be strong, but that doesn't remove the feeling of fear about her next phase in life. "What if she stays this way? What if she doesn't find the light in the middle of darkness.?" She's scared of the harsh possibilities the future has for her. She asks herself if she's ready to face the new year but her train of thoughts are interrupted when a cheerful voice greets her
"Yuri-ya!" The girl looks to where the cheerful voice came from
She looks up to see fluffy cheeks and bright eyes looking at her expecting her reply. "Oh Yena unnie!" she replies excitedly, she didn't think she'll see her favorite unnie again nonetheless this soon.
"We haven't seen each other for so long Yuri!" Yena states still excited and the younger just can't help herself but be excited too seeing her childhood friend after 4 long years and she can't help but smile brightly at the said girl.