Finding Prince Charming

Finding Prince Charming

Mark smiles to himself as he reads the message on his phone. It wasn’t anything special, but it came from someone whom he likes. 

 

“Why are you smiling like that so early in the morning?” Jaebeom, his best friend, a man with at-like eyes, asks while yawning and stretching his arms out. 

 

“Isn’t it obvious? It’s from his anonymous Prince Charming.” Jackson, his other best friend with big brown round eyes reminding you of a puppy, answers meanwhile trying to peer over to look at the text message. Mark quickly hides his phone in his pocket making Jackson pout. “Why so secretive? Did he finally send you a photo of himself?”

 

“No, nothing like that. He just sent me a good morning text.” 

 

“Isn’t it weird how you guys started messaging each other about a year ago and you guys still don’t know what each other look like or each other’s name?” Jackson questions. “I’m worried for you Markie, I mean what if he’s cat fishing you?”

 

“Jacks, I explained this to you already. We both want to stay anonymous for now and just talk to each other without feeling the pressure of showing what we look like.” 

 

Standing in front of Mark blocking his way Jackson cups his best friend’s face while frowning. “Markie, are you not confident in your looks? You’re handsome with many females and males pining over you!”

 

“What? No! We just feel like not knowing what we both look like helps us get to know the other person better without judging each other’s appearance first!” Mark can feel his face heating up in embarrassment as some students walking by examine the scene in front of them. Waving his friend’s hands away from his face he turns him around pushing him to continue walking.

 

“Oh, I see. But still I think a year is long enough. Don’t you think Jaebeom?” 

 

“Mark is a grown boy I’m sure he’ll reveal himself when the time comes. But if he starts asking for money just know that’s a red flag.”

 

“I hate you guys.” Mark grumbles as Jackson and Jaebeom both laugh at the comment.

 

It all started a year ago, Mark was on his computer playing games as usual after finishing his homework when he got a request for someone wanting to join him. He didn’t think much of it and accepted the request. The person who joined was a total rookie. Mark was nice enough to help and play with them, he found it cute as the person seemed confused and unsure of everything. Asking him this and that about the game. They got to talking and getting to know each other. From there it was gaming with each other online to texting each other on the phone. A friendship blossomed and then a little bit of something more.

 

They agreed to stay anonymous and enjoy communicating through text messages for now. But there are things that Mark does know. His anonymous person happens to go to the same school as him. He was younger than Mark, has two older sisters, likes the winter season, and thinks animals hate him. His gaming ID and the name he has saved on his phone is 09_pyj_22.

 

“Well, this is my stop. See you guys during lunch!” Jackson waves goodbye and dramatically gives a flying kiss towards Mark and Jaebeom. Ignoring it, both Mark and Jaebeom made their way to their classroom. 

 

🎭🌙

 

Mark readjusted himself in his seat stretching his legs a bit as he continued to jot down notes. Half of the class were bored and lost interest in what the teacher was lecturing about, Jaebeom included. He had one elbow on the desk with his hand supporting his head as it was tilted down. Making it look like he was writing down notes with a pencil in his other hand. Mark is always amazed he could get away with that trick. 

 

Just then a knock came from their classroom door. All eyes fell upon the sudden visitor. It was their school president, announcing this year in order to help raise money the school was going to set up a Halloween festival. Everyone was welcomed to play the games that would be set up and to attend the main event. A masquerade ball where there would be music and food held at the gym. The classroom chatted in excitement as the school president exited the room.

 

“What’s all the ruckus?” Jaebeom asks, rubbing his eyes as he just woke up from his sleep. 

 

“Apparently the school is throwing a Halloween festival to help raise money for the school. Games and a masquerade ball.” Mark explains in short as their teacher tries to quiet down the classroom.

 

“Really? Huh, never thought our school would ever throw one of these. Are you going to go?”

 

Mark shrugs, “I would rather stay home and play games really.”

 

Jaebeom nods before yawning, “Same, I rather stay home with my cats and write music. I bet you five dollars Jackson is thinking of going.”

 

“I bet you ten dollars that Jackson is going to try and convince you and me to go with him.”

 

Jaebeom chuckles, “There’s no use in betting when we know it’s true.” Mark lets out a small laugh as well, already imagining Jackson with puppy dog eyes begging for the both of them to go. They knew their best friend too well.

 

As if to prove their point, Jackson was all too excited about the whole school Halloween event. Blabbering about the fun of food and possibly scary haunted school the school theater club may do. Mark listens to him talk as he eats his food. There was no use in commenting when Jackson gets all hyper and starts talking nonstop. 

 

“So, you guys are going right?” Jackson asks, finally done with his talk. He bats his eyes at the both of them knowing what the both of them are going to say but still asking anyways.

 

“No thanks, you already know it’s not my thing.” Jaebeom answers matter of factly.

 

“But why?” Jackson whines, grasping Jaebeom’s arm in the process. “It will be fun!” The both of them began to bicker when Mark felt a vibration in his pants pocket. Fishing out his phone he noticed he just received a text message from 09_pyj_22.

 

09_pyj_22:

Have you heard about the school Halloween event?

 

tuanzy93

Yes, it’s what everyone is talking about right now. 

 

09_pyj_22:

Shall we finally meet under the moonlight that day?

 

Mark felt his heart skip a beat as he reread the text message twice more. Was this a dream? Has the day finally come for the both of them to reveal themselves to one another?

 

09_pyj_22:

Only when you are ready of course.

 

tuanzy93

No, I want to. It’s a date then.

 

He couldn’t believe it. Just earlier today Jackson was complaining about him not knowing his crushes face. Now he has a date to see said crush in person. Funny how life works.

 

“Hmph fine!” Jackson huffs admitting defeat in persuading Jaebeom. He turns to Mark, his next target, “Markie! You’ll be going to the event right?”

 

“Yeah, I am.” Mark reply’s back, shocking both of his best friends. Clearly, Jackson was not expecting him to say yes.

 

“WHAT?!” Jackson yells in shock, confusion, and excitement all at once. “Am I dreaming right now? Jaebeom, slap me, slap me to see if this is a dream!” The male exaggerates grabbing Jaebeom by the shoulder shaking him. The male pushes him away, peering at Mark in shock.

 

“I thought we decided not to go. What happened?” 

 

Mark blushes showing his phone screen to his friends, “This happened, I just-I want to meet him in person.”

 

“Finally!” Jackson cheers, “To think just this morning I was complaining about you two not meeting. Oh, wow, this is like a whole romance story. Two lovers finally meet for the first time and sparks fly everywhere!” The guy jumped into describing a whole romantic scene with Jaebeom trying to shut him up.

 

Mark flushes even more imagining everything, would he be okay with how Mark looks? What if he finds him awkward and too quiet in person? Would he end up just wanting to be friends in the end? He shakes those thoughts away and tries to calm himself down. There was no need to jump into conclusion. From everything he learned about Prince Charming aka 09_pyj_22, he wasn’t this type of person.

 

As if sensing his friends concen Jackson placed his arm around Mark’s shoulder, “Don’t worry Markie, I’ll be there to support you! I’m curious to see what your anonymous person looks like as well.”

 

“Ugh, I guess I’m going just to make sure this guy isn’t dangerous.” Jaebeom grumbles as Jackson launches himself at him to give him a hug. “Get off me Jackson!” Mark laughs at his two friends bickering with one another again. He was grateful his best friends were here to support him. 

 

🎭🌙

 

They have about a week to gather their costumes for the Halloween ball. The three of them ended up at a thrift store one after school evening rummaging through the costume sections. It shouldn’t be that difficult right? Wrong. Why were there so many options to choose from? Mark could feel himself sweating as he swift through the racks of clothes. 

 

Jackson’s voice suddenly rang throughout the store with hurried footsteps accompanying it. “You guys, I think I found our costumes!”

 

Mark sees the male carrying three costumes in his arms with difficulty. He stuffs one into Jaebeom’s arms then another into Mark’s. Staring down at the clothes it was in black, white, and gold pattern with intricate design. A black cloth with the ends of it being a pattern with gold designs hung off the left shoulder with a gold chain attached to it so one can wear it across the chest. The costumes were set during the renaissance era, reminding him of Shakespeare, a subject their class briefly talked about last year. 

 

Glancing towards the others outfits it looks like Jaebeom had a black and gold costume with similar intricate designs. Meanwhile, Jackson’s one had royal blue and gold patterns. Similar to Mark, he had a cloth over his left shoulder as well. 

 

“Let’s go try them on,” without waiting for an answer Jackson pushed the two of them towards the fitting room. “I think it’s perfect for the three of us!” 

 

A few minutes later Mark was staring at his own reflection. He had to agree it looked really nice on him, on the other hand it had a v cut to his chest which made him quite queasy on wearing the outfit.

 

“Mark, come on, we're both waiting for you!” Jackson calls behind the door impatiently. Sighing, Mark unlocks the door to show his friend the costume. As expected Jackson immediately starts praising him.

 

“Don’t you think it’s a bit revealing up here?” He asks, fidgeting at the clothes not covering his chest.

 

“It’s fine, it’s not revealing a whole lot of your chest. I don’t think the school would allow it anyways.” Jackson reasons whilst smoothing out Mark’s costume. “You look like a real prince!” Jackson compliments with a grin on his face.

 

“Did you have to find me something like this to wear?” Jaebeom grumbles, pulling on the clothes around his shoulder.

 

“I think it’s fine, it accentuates your broad shoulder quite nicely.” Jackson replies back looking at his own outfit in the mirror. “While you two took your time in the fitting room I found our masks as well. No need to thank me.” 

 

“How the hell do you manage to find all this so fast?” Marks questions looking at his masquerade mask that was in black and while Jackson and Jaebeom was the same color as their costumes. The guy shrugs while putting on his mask to complete his outfit. 

 

“I still feel like we are missing something…” Jackson ponders, Mark scans the area landing on a bin containing all types of prop tossed together. 

 

“Swords?” Mark suggests pulling out a fake sword from the bin. 

 

Jackson cheers in excitement, “We’ll be the three musketeers! No wait, I don’t think my costume would suit a sword. You and Jaebeom should wear one. I, on the other hand, will hold a quill pen.” The three of them stood in front of the mirrors once more staring at their complete outfits. 

 

“This looks awfully like I’m Mark’s knight while you’re his advisor.” Jaebeom jokes. “You just need to carry a book as well.”

 

“I don’t know if I can do this, you guys.” Mark voices his concern as he stares at himself. “What if this is a terrible mistake? What if he doesn’t like the man he sees?”

 

“Nonsense! You’re handsome and a catch. If he doesn’t return your feelings well then there are plenty of fishes in the sea.” Wrapping an arm around Mark’s shoulder he pulls him close while flashing him a smile. “You have nothing to worry about.”

 

Listening to his best friend Mark bought his outfit and stared at it every night as the Halloween ball drew closer. He would dream of dancing with his Prince Charming and when they were both about to take their masks off his alarm would ring, waking him. And today was one of those days again, stretching his body he grabs for his phone checking to see if he’s gotten a text message. He smiles seeing he got one from said person.

 

09_pyj_22:

Good morning, it’s a day closer for us to meet.

 

Mark couldn’t help but smile just from reading this simple text. At least he knows he wasn’t the only one excited and counting down the days they would both meet. Returning the sweet morning message he drops his phone on his bed, “Time to start your day Mark!” He says jumping out of bed with an extra boost of energy. 

 

Classes went on as per usual, but with the event just tomorrow the buzz of excitement was more loud than usual. Mark noticed even though Jaebeom acted indifferent to the whole thing, he was thrilled as well.

 

“I give the theater club my respect.” Jackson comments while taking a bite of his hamburger. The three of them decided to grab some fast food and play video games at Mark’s house after school. “Like, they organized this whole thing and decorated the place.”

 

“I’m sure they had other clubs help them too. It can’t be just one club that’ll be impossible.” Jaebeom points out sipping his soda.

 

“Probably,” Jackson mumbles, “So, have you thought about what you’re going to say to your Prince Charming tomorrow night?” 

 

Mark nibbles on his fry, pondering about the question, “Um-a hello and how excited I am to finally meet him?” The look Jackson gave him was a look of pure shock, he shakes his head as he drops his half eaten hamburger to wipe his hands clean.

 

“No, no, Markie, this won’t do. We need to help you prepare a whole speech about your undying love for him.”

 

Jaebeom quirk an eyebrow up,“That’s a bit extreme don’t you think, Jackson?”

 

“Oh shush you anti romantic,” Jackson reprimands, rummaging through his backpack.

 

“I kind of agree with Jaebeom here. I don’t want to come off as creepy to him.” Mark says imagining the guy getting freaked out if he suddenly started talking about him being the love of his life.

 

“Okay fine, let’s just make sure Markie is going to get himself a boyfriend tomorrow.”

 

Mark groans, he’s not sure if he should be thankful that Jackson was so supportive on all of this. His best friend had a lot of ideas on how Mark should confess. In all honesty he sort of stopped listening to all his suggestions after Jackson started on his sixth possibility. Jaebeom didn’t help by adding his own suggestions to the mix, he kicked both of them out of his house by ten o’clock.

 

After a nice hot shower he laid in bed staring at his ceiling in the dark. What exactly should he say to him?

 

“Hi my name is Mark, Mark Tuan, it’s nice to finally meet you.” He whispers quietly, extending his hand out in the air pretending to shake his hand. Dropping his hand back down in bed he groans, that sounded so lame and typical. Tossing and turning in bed he thought of a million ways to introduce himself until sleep swept him into dreamland.

 

🎭🌙

 

“Mark? Are you there?” A finger snaps in front of his face startling him back to reality. Looking around his bedroom both Jaebeom and Jackson were in their Halloween costumes. He was in such a trance the whole day he wasn’t aware the three of them were getting ready for the Halloween event tonight.

 

Fixing his sleeves Mark lets out a breath of air, “I can’t believe this is really happening.” 

 

“You better believe it! Now let’s put on our mask and go! I’m so excited!” Grabbing both Mark and Jaebeom by the arm he pulls them out the bedroom door. Waving goodbye to Mark’s parents they made their way to their school.

 

Mark could feel his heartbeat pounding faster every step they took closer to their school ground. “You guys, I think I’m about to puke.”

 

Jaebeom’s eyes widened in horror, “Dude, not on me.” Pushing him slightly towards Jackson more he puts a distance between them. Mark manages to flip him off before clutching his abdomen. 

 

“Deep breaths Markie you can do this.” Jackson encouraged squeezing him on the arm.

 

“Thanks Jack, you really are living up to being my advisor.” Cracking a joke helped ease off some of his anxiety. He takes a couple more deep breaths, “Okay, I think I’m as ready as I can ever be.” The three of them made their way into the event slowly. The school was decorated in all kinds of spooky props. Fake spider webs, pots with boiling liquid, creepy writing fonts that are made to look like bloody handwritings, etc.

 

“It looks like they’re hosting a haunted house on the second floor!” Jackson shouts excitedly, noticing a banner sign near the stairs.

 

“You're going to be the loudest and easily scared out of the three of us.” Jaebeom points out, “I don’t know why you want to get paid to be scared.”

 

“It’s all part of the thrill and exhilaration you get.” Mark explains hearing the screams echoing down the stairs from upstairs. “You scream just as loud as Jackson, Jaebeom.” Teasing the guy he laughs as Jaebeom tries to deny the fact.

 

“Let’s just get to the gym where the Halloween ball is being hosted.” Jaebeom grumbles his face going a bit red from being poked fun of. Mark and Jackson snickers to themselves knowing full well he didn’t take the teasing to heart.

 

Pushing open the gym double doors Mark gasps in amazement. The theater club surely out done themselves. Long string lights were strung across the gym giving off a fairytale vibe. Fake flowers and vines decorated the area. Classical music was being played as students in their costumes danced with each other. It was beautiful.

 

“It looks magical,” Mark whispers out examining everything around him.

 

“Well I’m going to go get myself a drink.” Jaebeom says taking a step towards the food table. Jackson grabs him by the arm. 

 

“Not until you danced with the two of us first.” Dragging Jaebeom to the dance floor Mark follows behind glancing at everyone with their masks on. His Prince Charming could be any one of these people. “Markie, come on!” Jackson yells motioning for him to join him and Jaebeom. It surely helped ease his anxiety dancing with his friends. Feeling a vibration from his phone he quickly takes it out to read.

 

09_pyj_22:

Out in the fields will we meet, under the big tree I hope to see. Nine o’clock is the time, until then I’ll be thinking of thee.

 

Mark could feel his cheeks flushing. Prince Charming was always a man with words and especially today. It was part of his charm that Mark fell for, he sometimes wondered if literature was the route the male was interested in majoring in college.

 

“Is he always this poetic?” Jackson who was peering over his phone asked. “Because that’s cute I can see why you fell for him.”

 

“So what time are you guys meeting?” Jaebeom asks. Mark looks over to the big gym clock and he still has thirty minutes left until the meeting.

 

“I still have half an hour left.”

 

“We got to get you freshen up then. No best friend of mine is going to meet someone all sweaty and musty smelling.” Jackson begins pushing them away from the dance floor.

 

Furrowing his brows Mark sniffs himself, “But I don’t think I smell like that?”

 

“Fine, fix your hair and clothes then. You two are seriously so non caring about your own appearances.” Jackson flatly says.

 

“I agree, and while you help Mark I’m going to get three of us some drinks.” Making a dash for the food table this time he was fast enough to escape Jackson’s clutch.

 

“You know he won’t be back for sometime.” Mark chuckles knowing how much his friend loves to eat.

 

“Yeah, that damn eating machine.” The two of them started laughing imagining Jaebeom’s ‘one bite’ eating show.

 

“I hope they have enough food for everybody else.” Laughing some more, Jackson reminds them to head to the males restroom. The restroom was empty when they walked in. Mark made his way to a mirror and fixed his hair and readjusted his mask. “Okay, I think I’m all ready now.”

 

Jackson coos like a mother would, “You make me proud and get me a new friend to talk to. Just the two of you guys are beginning to drive me insane.” Mark rolls his eyes at that, Jackson always knew what to say to help calm his nerves. He does know him the longest out of the two.

 

“Thanks and I hate you too.” 

 

Jackson laughs at that whilst making their way back out to the gym. They managed to find Jaebeom easily who was still lingering around the food table. Grabbing a cup and pouring a drink for himself Mark took a sip and glanced at the clock once more. Fifteen more minutes until nine.

 

“You guys, I think I’m going to head to the meeting place and just wait for him there.” Mark rather sit and wait and prepare his thoughts then be late. The closer the time gets the more anxious he felt. His best friends gave him a pat on the back along with encouraging words as he made his way to the double doors leading to the field outside.

 

The cold air blew against his skin making him shiver, he hadn’t realized how hot and stuffy it was inside the gym. A few students were lingering around the school field, taking a breather from the ball as well. Mark made his way to the only big tree he knew that was in the field. It was at the end of the field to the right, a lot of students go to sit under it during the spring and summer time. No one was waiting underneath it there to Mark’s relief. He could gather his thoughts and prepare his rapidly beating heart.

 

 The weather tonight was nice, clear skies with a full moon. It reminded him a lot of the Korean drama Hotel Del Luna he’s been watching. Pulling on his mask, sudden footsteps caught his attention. 

 

“Oh, I wanted to be early but it looks like you beat me to it.” A gentle calm male voice says with a hint of amusement. Mark takes in the sudden guest appearance he looked to be in similar height with him, perhaps even slightly taller with jet black hair that shimmer in the moonlight. “Tuanzy93?”

 

“Yes? I mean y-yes!” Mark stammers. 

 

A smile breaks out on the guy's face. “I can’t believe I get to finally meet you in person.” He was wearing a white and gold embroidered suit costume with a white mask on, the moonlight made him shine brighter in the night

 

“You look like a real prince.” Mark compliments feeling himself blush.

 

“Thanks, but I think you look more like one to me. You even have a sword.” The guy points out the fake sword tied around Mark’s waist. 

 

“That’s all thanks to Jackson, the dramatic best friend I told you about.” Mark explains earning a chuckle from the mysterious stranger. 

 

“I remember you telling me about him and your grumpy cat friend. Are they here with you today?”

 

“Yeah, they’re both at the gym by the food table.” 

 

Prince Charming hums, “Would you like to go on a stroll with me?”

 

“I will like that.” Upon hearing Mark’s answer the guy extends his arm out for Mark to take. “Such a gentleman you are.” He jokes, giggling.

 

“I believe I was told I was a prince after all.” They fell into a quick conversation after that. Asking more personal questions about each other. When they got tired of talking they ended up lying down in the grass staring at the night sky.

 

“So I’ve been meaning to ask you, are you perhaps interested in the literature major once you head into college?”

 

Sitting up on the grass he looks at Mark in confusion, “What makes you think that?”

 

“Your text messages can be so poetic at times.” Mark was quick to notice the red ears forming on the guy. He was rubbing his neck bashfully, it was cute. No, he was adorable.

 

“Ah, that’s probably because I’m in the theater’s club.”

 

“You're in the theater’s club?” Mark sits up, eyes widening in amazement.

 

“It makes me kind of lame doesn’t it?”

 

“What? No! I think it’s really cool. I mean the school theater club threw this Halloween ball. If anything you guys are incredible!”

 

“Really?”

 

Mark nods his head, “Yes, trust me.” Believing in his words the both of them fell silent staring into each other’s eyes. Like a magnetic pull the guy scoots closer to Mark, raising his hand up to hover around Mark’s mask asking for permission to take it off. in a breath Mark closed his eyes, giving him the permission to do so. He could feel fingers untying the string behind his head and the mask being lifted off his face. 

 

“You’re even more handsome than I pictured.” 

 

Mark flashes a shy smile, “My name is Mark, Mark Tuan.”

 

“Mark,” The guy repeats with a soft voice testing the name on his lips, “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you Mark.” 

 

Hearing his name grace his lips made Mark’s heart skip a beat. It was like a candy, he craved to hear it again. “I believe it’s only fair if I know your face now.” 

 

The guy laughs covering his mouth with his hand. “You’re right, we have to make it fair.” Just as he reaches behind his head to untie his own mask someone shouts from a distance.

 

“Park! Park!” A tall male who looked to be wearing a jester costume came running towards them.

 

“Kim, I’m still on my break.” 

 

Is Park his last name? Mark thought to himself as he watched the whole situation.

 

“I know, but it’s an emergency!” The male who Mark knows as Kim replies back urgently.

 

“Mark, I’m so sorry. I-“

 

“Don’t worry about me. The theater club needs you right now Mr. Park.” Mark jokes on the last part. 

 

Squeezing Mark’s hand he stood up getting ready to leave, “I’ll come find you on Monday after school, I promise.” 

 

“Park, we really have to go now.” Kim whines fidgeting on his feet.

 

“Just a second,” without warning soft lips touched Mark’s cheek, “Dream of me tonight?” 

 

“Okay, eww I think I’m going to hurl.”

 

“Shut up Kim, let’s go.” Grabbing Kim by the collar, Mark watches as his mystery man drags him away sporting red ears. Mark can wait a bit longer to find out his face, for now he’s content with the kiss he could still feel lingering on his cheek.

 

“Wait? Why are you back alone? Where’s your mystery man?” Jackson was the first to ask when he noticed Mark walking back to the gym alone.

 

“He had an emergency and had to leave.” 

 

“What? Are you sure that wasn’t an excuse to ditch you?” Jaebeom butts in, narrowing his eyes, “Do I need to fight him?”

 

Mark shakes his head, he was still on cloud nine reliving the kiss on the cheek in his head. “I trust him.”

 

🎭🌙

 

After the Halloween event ended last night the boys crashed at Mark’s place where he told them what happened. Even though he didn’t get to see his face last night he at least knew two things. His last name was Park and he was in the theater club. 

 

Jackson shouts in excitement jumping in bed in the middle of the night, “This is like a Cinderella story! We’re going to find your man Markie!” 

 

“Jackson shut up, the whole neighborhood is sleeping right now.” Jaebeom reprimands pulling Jackson to sit back down in bed.

 

“Can’t I just wait until Monday after school? He said he’ll come find me, I’ll just text him which classroom I’m in. So can we please go to bed now? I’m tired even if you’re not.”

 

“Fine, you guys are such party poopers. I need new friends.” Jackson sulks as Mark turns off his bedroom light. He couldn’t wait to go into wonderland dreaming of a certain look alike prince charming.

 

The weekend went by extremely slowly in Mark’s book. He lazed around at home doing homework and going online to play games hoping 09_pyj_22 would go on but he never did. When Monday finally came around there were no good morning messages from him either. An unsettling feeling settles in the pit of his stomach. He definitely isn’t ghosting him is he? Maybe he was just busy dealing with the aftermath of the school event and had no time to check his phone. But that explanation seemed to dissolve overtime as lunchtime and the end of school day rolled around.

 

“I don’t think he’s going to be contacting me back.” Was this what rejection feels like? Mark drops his head on the school library table feeling defeated.

 

“I’m going to hunt him down and give him a piece of my mind! No one strings my Markie along like this!” Clenching his fist together Jackson slams his fist on the table earning a few glares and shushes from students who were studying in the library. 

 

“Add me in this too, this guy doesn’t know what’s coming for him.” Jaebeom mutters, cracking his knuckles. Even though Mark doesn’t want to beat the poor guy up, he at least wants some answers to why he just dropped off the face of the earth. 

 

“You said he’s part of the theater club right? Let’s look at last year's yearbook and see if there are any ‘Parks’ still attending here this year.” Jackson hops out of his seat dashing for the yearbook aisle.

 

The three of them huddled together flipping through the yearbook to the clubs section. There weren't a whole lot of Parks, one seemed to have graduated last year leaving only about three possibly still in the club this year. 

 

“There, I think that’s your guy! He’s a year younger than you and his name is Park Youngjae like his nickname PYJ. I’m certain this is our guy.” Jackson says confidently. “We’re going to hunt him down tomorrow and shake some answers out of him.”

 

“Jackson, I don’t want to scare him.” Mark says flabbergasted.

 

“Well I do, let this be a lesson to him for playing with people’s feelings.” Mark closes his mouth shut knowing this is a losing argument when even Jaebeom nods his head in agreement.

 

And so the next day the three of them asked around for a junior named Park Youngjae in the morning, they finally tracked him down at the school field playing soccer during lunch. 

 

“Are you Park Youngjae?” Jaebeom asks, crossing his arms over his chest making himself look imitating. 

 

“Yeah, why?” The guy asks, confused as to why the three of them were looking for him.

 

“How dare you lead my Markie on?!” Jackson tries to glare down at the poor guy even though they were the same height.

 

“Who’s Markie?”

 

“Him, this is Mark, tuanzy93. Does it ring a bell?” Jaebeom threatens, grabbing the poor soul by the collar.

 

Eyes widening the guy stammers, “I-I don’t know who he is!”

 

“Jaebeom, it’s not-” Mark tries to say.

 

“Don’t play dumb.You’re 09_pyj_22 aren’t you?” Jaebeom presses.


“Jaebeom, it’s not him. I don’t recognize the voice!” 

 

Jaebeom looks over at Mark for a confirmation, “Are you sure?” 

 

“Yes, please let him go. I don’t want you to get in trouble.” Listening to his order Jaebeom let’s the guy go and tries to straighten his t-shirt collar back. “Sorry, we thought you were him.” 

 

Youngjae takes a step back with a scowl, “I don’t know what you guys want, but you guys are crazy!” 

 

“Look I’m just trying to help my best friend find this prick who played with his feelings. He’s in the theater club with you. Do you know anyone whose name goes by PYJ?” Jackson asks. The guy just shrugs obviously not wanting to help.

 

“Think again,” Jaebeom mutters, coming closer to the guy again. Mark noticed the gulp of saliva nervousness written in the guys face.

 

“Um-yes! Yes! There is another Youngjae in the theater’s club! You’ll surely find him in the theater club after school, we have a meeting today.” 

 

“Good job, Park Youngjae.” Jaebeom grins patting him on the shoulder.

 

“Can I go now?”

 

“Yeah, you’re free to go.” Youngjae dashes quickly away wanting to get away from the three lunatics.

 

Mark shakes his head in disbelief, “Aren’t you guys being a bit too rougg? You guys could get in trouble for bullying.”

 

“Nonsense, we didn’t say or do any harm to him.” Jackson points out, “We got a second lead though! Now we just need to go to the theater club afterschool. Well done Beomie!”

 

“Don’t get me started on Jaebeom, you grabbed the guy by the collar! That’s called getting physical.”

 

“He’s fine, stop worrying so much Mark.” Mark sighs this was another useless argument, he does understand they’re just trying to help him though. 

 

“Okay, but promise me the next guy we meet you won’t go grabbing him by the collar too.”

 

“I’ll try~” Jaebeom singsong as they make their way back to the school building before class starts. 

 

Finding the theater club wasn’t hard as it made sense for them to be in the school auditorium. Some students were mingling amongst themselves by the seats near the stage while others were sitting down on stage. 

 

“Where’s that Park Youngjae guy?” Jackson whispers. Mark stretched his neck to scan the area for the familiar guy. 

 

“He’s up on stage,” Jaebeom points out, “let’s go.”


“Park Youngjae!” Jackson shouts enthusiastically, “we’re here!”

 

Mark clearly sees the guy groan, probably not wanting to see the three of them again so soon. Making his way to the stage he sees a few students looking at them in confusion. 

 

“Hey,” Park Youngjae says, taking a slight step back from them, scared that Jaebeom may grab him again.

 

“Alright, so where’s the other Youngjae you talked about?” Jaebeom asks cutting to the chase.
 

“He’s over there, the guy sitting down with a notebook open. Can I finally go now?”

 

“Yes, thanks for your help Youngjae.” Mark gives a small smile as the guy goes back to talking with his group of friends. They made their way to the said male who was talking to two other people. He lets out a loud laugh after one of them says something funny. The laugh was enough for Mark to know he wasn’t his Prince Charming.

 

“Excuse me, but are you perhaps Park Youngjae?” Jackson asks when they got close to him. The male tilts his head in confusion.

 

“Um, I’m Choi Youngjae.”

 

“Why that little-“ clasping a hand over Jaebeom’s mouth stopping him from saying anything more Mark smiles at the male giving him an explanation.

 

“Hi Youngjae, sorry I’m just looking for someone and someone thought it was you.” 

 

“Oh, well if I could be of any assistance I'd like to help.” Youngjae cheerfully says.

 

“That would be lovely! Your smile reminds of an otter, very cute.” Jackson jumps into the conversation excitedly. “Does this username ring a bell to you? 09_pyj_22?”

 

“PYJ?” Youngjae’s forehead scrunch up in thinking, “I’m not familiar with anyone with that initials. Hey Yugyeom, Bambam, do these initials ring a bell to you?” The two male whom he was talking to scratched their heads.

 

“It’s not ringing a bell for me.” The guy named Yugyeom sporting a mushroom-like haircut answers.

 

“Wait, your voice sounds familiar…” Mark points out. “But I know you're not the person I’m looking for…Jester guy? Are you Kim?” 

 

The male’s eyes widened in surprise, “Oh! You’re the Mark guy! The guy from last Friday night!”

 

“Ah, this all makes sense now!” The other male, Bambam suddenly shouts, nodding vigorously like he just solved the answer to the riddle. “09_pyj_22, 09 and 22 stands for his birthday, September 22nd. Meanwhile, pyj is backwards for Jinyoung Park.”

 

Youngjae who was standing beside Jackson hits him on the chest excitedly. “Bambam’s right! You guys are looking for Jinyoung hyung!”

 

“Hey, ouch, why are you hitting me?!” Jackson yelps in surprise.

 

“Sorry, I do this when I get too excited.” Youngjae apologizes, smiling sheepishly. 

 

So his mystery man's name was Jinyoung. Park Jinyoung. Mark was another step closer to finding him. “Do you know where Jinyoung is? He hadn’t come to find me or replied back to my messages today.”

 

“You don’t know? He injured himself over the weekend and can’t make it to school today.” Yugyeom answers. 

 

So Jinyoung wasn’t ghosting him. Just knowing that sent a tremendous relief to Mark’s heart. But then the thought of what kind of injury or how hurt Jinyoung was popped in his mind. “Is he alright? Is it something really serious?”

 

“He’s fine,” Bambam waves it off, “He just sprained his shoulder. Nothing but a few days of icing, pain relievers, and non strenuous activity should have him healing in time.”

 

“Do you-do you think I can visit him today? I just want to make sure he’s alright with my own eyes.” Mark waits for an answer watching Youngjae, Bambam, and Yugyeom exchange looks.

 

“I guess it’s alright, Jinyoung hyung mentions this guy he’s talking to almost everyday. I assume it’s you, so you must be a very important person to him.” Youngjae reveals ripping out a piece of paper from his notebook to scribble down the address.

 

“Not to mention Jinyoung hyung kissed him on the cheek last Friday night.” Yugyeom teases with Bambam joining in on it.

 

“WHAT?!” Jackson and Jaebeom both exclaim at the same time. 

 

“How come you never mentioned this to Jaebeom and I?” Jackson questions looking hurt. 

 

“It was something I wanted to keep to myself!” Grabbing the paper out of Youngjae’s hand Mark says a quick thanks dashing out of the auditorium to avoid any further questions from Jackson. He’ll explain some more at another time, for now it was making his way to see Prince Charming.

 

🎭🌙

 

“May I help you?” A woman in her thirties asks behind the front door. The address that Youngjae had written down wasn’t too far from the school. It was an apartment on the third floor. Finding the apartment number was quite easy. 

 

“Good afternoon, does Park Jinyoung live here?” 

 

“Yes, are you one of his classmates? I don’t think we've ever met before, I’m his mother.” Mrs. Park opens the door bigger inviting Mark inside.

 

“Ah, we actually just recently met.” It wasn’t a lie since they had just met in person a few days ago. “I’m Mark Tuan. Thank you for letting me in Mrs. Park.”

 

“Oh, you’re too kind! I’m sure he’ll be happy to see you since he couldn’t make it to school today.” Mrs. Park smiles motioning for Mark to follow her into the living room. “His room is right down the hall there, you go ahead and make yourself known. I’ll go get you boys some snacks.”

 

Thanking Mrs. Park, Mark made his way down the hallway stopping in front of the door. Taking a deep breath Mark knocks a few times.

 

“You can come on in mom!” The familiar warm voice made Mark’s heart go in somersault. Turning the door knob he pushes it open and pokes his head in first. “Mom, I’m fine you don’t have to-”

 

So this was what Park Jinyoung looked like. Doe's eyes widened in surprise with nice strong eyebrows shaping his face nicely. He wasn’t aware of it before, but he had cute big rounded ears. But that wasn’t all that Mark noticed, Park Jinyoung wasn’t wearing a shirt. For a high schooler he had nice defined muscles in his arms and chest showing that he works out. Bandages were wrapped around his right shoulder and chest.

 

“M-mark?” Jinyoung asks in surprise, sitting straight up in bed, only wincing in pain. 

 

Mark rushes to his side, “Are you okay? Are you badly hurt?”

 

“I’m okay. I managed to sprain my right shoulder during the weekend when the theater club was cleaning up.” Jinyoung explains rubbing his sore shoulder. “I’m so sorry for not finding you yesterday like I promised. My phone died and I haven’t gotten the chance to reply back to you.” 

 

Sitting on Jinyoung’s bed Mark placed his hand on top of his. “I believe you, I’m just glad you weren’t purposely ghosting me.” 

 

“I would never, I’ve been dreaming of that moment to meet you since we said we will.” Mark watches as Jinyoung brings his hand to cup the side of his face. “And when I saw your face finally it made me fall in love with you even more.”

 

“I can say the same thing, your face beats any of my imagination I have of you.” Jinyoung blushed at the comment, looking down to avoid Mark’s gaze that only made him realize he was topless. Mark giggles as Jinyoung drops Mark’s hand to try and get himself covered up only to groan in discomfort. “Yah, Park Jinyoung stop injuring yourself even more.”

 

Jinyoung stops in his tracks, his mouth widening in surprise. Boy does he have nice soft looking lips Mark thought. “What? Why are you staring at me like that?”

 

“You know my name.”

 

Mark huffs crossing his arms, “You would not believe the obstacles I had to go through to find you.”

 

An amused smile sports Jinyoung’s face, “And you say I’m Prince Charming when you went high and low to look for me. I guess this makes me Cinderella?” 

 

“Funny, Jackson said the same thing. By the way, he and Jaebeom want to beat you up.” Mark states, Jinyoung laughs nodding his head in agreement. 

 

“I believe I deserve that.” They fell into a fit of giggles when a knock on the door was heard. 

 

“Jinyoung, honey, I brought some snacks for you and Mark.” Mrs. Park opens the door with a tray of snacks in hand. “I’ll leave them on your desk.” Waving a goodbye to the both of them she shuts the door leaving them alone again.

 

“Your mom is very nice and trusting. What if I was a murderer and came to murder you?” Mark jokes pretending to reach for his neck. 

 

“She knows what you look like, I hardly think you thought this through. So before my mom interrupted us I wanted to ask how did you find me?”

 

“You better make yourself comfortable because it’s going to be a long story.” 

 

Leaning back to sit up against his bed frame Jinyoung scooted over to create room for Mark to sit in bed beside him. He pats the empty space beside him, “I have time.”

 

Mark feels his cheeks heating while taking the seat beside Jinyoung in his bed. “C-can you put on a shirt?” 

 

Noticing Mark’s sudden shy behaviors, Jinyoung smirks, leaning into Mark’s face. “Is it distracting you?”

 

Mark gulps, “Maybe?” The male beside him chuckles. Obeying his demands he puts on a shirt that was lying on the side of his bed.

 

“You’re cute when you’re shy.”

 

“Hey I’m older you should be calling me hyung.” Mark whines when sudden arms wrap around his waist.

 

Jinyoung plants his chin on Mark’s shoulder, “You act more like a child then I do.”

 

“And you’re getting pretty chummy and flirty with me. Are you like this with everyone?” Mark accuse looking down at the man who pouts with his lips jutting out.

 

“No, I’m only like this to you. So are you going to tell me the story or not?”

 

“Fine fine Mister Demanding.” Mark jests earning himself a poke in the stomach. Laughing, he starts explaining what happened after the night of the Halloween Ball to finding someone named Park Youngjae to his best friend, threatening the poor soul to find Jinyoung’s friends from the theater club. Hours passed as the two of them got comfortable laying beside one another in bed.

 

“So why did Yugyeom call you Park last Friday night?” Mark took a bite of a jelly candy as he stared at the ceiling.

 

“Yugyeom calls me that just to spite me.” Jinyoung explains taking a bite of his own jelly candy.

 

“Even in the face of an emergency that night?” 

 

Nodding his head he sighs, “To fight fire with fire I call him Kim.”

 

“You guys seem to have a cat and mouse relationship.” Mark felt a dip of the mattress when Jinyoung’s face was suddenly hovering above him. He leans down close enough for their nose to touch.

 

“Are you jealous Mark?” Galaxy eyes stare down at Mark’s in question.

 

“No,” Mark replies back softly as Jinyoung hums in response. “because you and I have something better.”

 

“And what’s that?”

 

Instead of answering him Mark decided to show him. Lifting his head off the bed he tilts to the side to kiss those soft inviting lips. He gave a peck when Jinyoung chased after his lips for another kiss. This time lasting longer than the first. When the pulled apart Jinyoung bumps his forehead to Mark’s, “You kiss better in person then in my dreams.”

 

Mark giggles, “Yeah?”

 

“Yes, and I am never going back to just talking to you on social media ever again.”

 

“Yeah?” Mark repeats again as Jinyoung plants a kiss on Mark’s lips to answer him. “I could get used to this too.” Another kiss lands on Mark’s lip softly; this beats talking to each other online by a million.

 

🎭🌙

 

It's not excellent, but I do hope you enjoyed it. :3

Happy Halloween!

-markjinnology