end

Make it count

Yangyang opened the door and wasn’t surprised to see a grinning Johnny holding bags of groceries. He rolled his eyes as he let the older in, and went straight to Kun’s room to get Leon. The cat was yawning but his eyes went wide as he saw the new human.

 

“Leon!” Johnny chirped and Leon meowed before approaching the tall human and settling on his lap while yangyang went to his room to get his bag.

 

 

“Johnny hyung, can’t you just confess or something?” Yangyang paused from the hallway and Johnny’s eyebrows furrowed. “It’s obvious, you like Kun-ge.” Yangyang deadpanned and upon hearing Kun’s name, Leon purred. “Everyone loves Kun ge.” Yangyang sighed then walked towards the door to wear his sneakers and off to go to his practice with his NCT U unit for NCT 2021.

 

Johnny ran a hand on Leon’s head, shocked but not surprised that Yangyang knows, heck everyone knows even the cats. “Your baba is just the one oblivious.” Johnny sighed but Leon meowed in contest. “You love him too? I can’t even win when he’s always with you.” Johnny sighed a little louder and he was sure Leon grinned  at him, mischievous cat.

 

 

Johnny dialed Ten’s number and the younger’s face appeared on screen a few seconds later. “Hello Johnny hyung, where’s Loius?” Ten asked and Johnny looked around then called Loius. The cat emerged from Kun’s room, unamused at the way he was bothered. “He was staying in Kun’s room.” Johnny reported and Ten nodded.

 

“Has Yangyang left?” Ten asked and Johnny nodded enthusiastically. “Johnny hyung, can you please make a move?” Ten sighed and Johnny pouted.

 

“Do you think I’m not making any efforts?” Johnny asked and Ten sighed.

 

“Yeah, you left him hanging in 2019, you think he’ll figure that you like him?” Ten asked back and Johnny swallowed a difficult lump in his throat.

 

“You know why I had to do it, I was reprimanded and the whole conflict thing, I was left with no choice.” Johnny’s shoulder sagged and Ten nodded in understanding.

 

“You have to be clear with Kun, you can’t use cat sitting as an excuse forever, Kun knew we could leave Leon and Louis alone for a day without a problem.” Ten informed him and Leon popped his head a little higher so Ten can see him. ‘Ah, I miss you baby.” Ten cooed at Leon who let out a happy meow at him. “Just a few more weeks baby, okay? Now go and be a good pet and entertain your uncle Johnny.” Ten said and Leon was not excited.

 

 

‘Hey Leon, you do this to me? I’m gonna be your stepfather!” Johnny feigned a hurt expression, but Leon couldn’t care less as he jumped off of the human’s lap and went inside Kun’s room. “I’m trying okay, he’s just a little guarded.” Johnny confessed.

 

‘Try harder hyung.” Ten said before saying his goodbyes.

 

Johnny was trying but it was difficult with their schedules not even matching and as usual, SM did not put them in an NCT U unit that will be promoting a title track. If 2020 was disappointing, 2021 was the same if not more. He stood from the couch and tuned into Kun’s radio program while he organized the groceries he bought, things Ten had sent him that can be considered as bribe but hey, if he’ll spend his money, he’ll gladly spend it for Kun.

 

Leon wandered in the kitchen and Johnny picked him up and placed him on the counter and the cat managed to put his little head inside one of the bags to check whatever Johnny had bought his human. Johnny chuckled as Leon got stuck, then assisted the cat out of the bag and patted his head. ‘You’re too cute for your own good.” Johnny said with a fond expression and Leon meowed at him.

 

 

---

 

Kun was surprised to see an unfamiliar pair of shoes at their door but when Leon greeted him, he focused his attention to the cat who wanted his affection. He picked up Leon and walked inside the dorm, leaving his keys on the hallway table and then walking inside with ease of familiarity.

 

“oh you’re home!” Kun was startled when Johnny appeared out of nowhere and Leon growled at Johnny for giving his human a mini heart attack. “Sorry, did I scare you?” Johnny asked, eyes crinkling as he smiled.

 

“Oh, a bit, I knew someone’s here, not just expecting you hyung.” Kun confessed. “You don’t have practice?” Kun asked and Johnny shook his head, well not a hundred percent true because he was supposed to be with 127 right now, but Kun is alone tonight and this is priority.

 

“Are you having fun as radio DJ?” johnny asked and Kun was surprised but nodded.

 

“Yeah, I have fun doing it, I get to read stories and talk to my guests.” Kun said, shrugging off his coat to put back to his room.

 

“I’m sorry we couldn’t come to your program.” Johnny said and Kun shook his head.

 

‘it’s fine, your schedule is crazy so I won’t hold that against you, any of you.” Kun said with a genuine smile.

 

‘Kind of missed it to be honest, I did one before.” Johnny confessed.

 

 

“Oh yeah, Enana.” Kun remarked and Johnny nodded with a smile. “have you eaten hyung?” Kun suddenly asked and Johnny rubbed his nape and shook his head. “let me cook something.” Kun said and off he went to the kitchen, only to be surprised to see the fridge stocked.

 

‘I may have gone shopping.” Johnny confessed and Kun laughed at him.

 

‘At least you came prepared, Chenle and Renjun just come and eat like they own the place.” Kun remarked as he pulled some meat to cook. “at least yangyang knows how to use a rice cooker now.” Kun chuckled as he saw the rice cooker was on warm.

 

Leon wandered to the kitchen and looked at Johnny who glared at the cat but Leon tapped a paw on the table where he was perched and Johnny understood so he sat on the chair and patted the cat’s head while they watched Kun cooked.

 

“Did you see Louis?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

‘Yeah, I think he’s inside your room.” Johnny replied and as id on cue, Loius sauntered into the kitchen, still wary of Johnny but very much comfortable with Kun as he rubbed his body on the Chinese’s leg.

 

‘I think Louis hates me.” Johnny muttered from his sit making Kun and the two cats look at him.

 

“Louis is wary of people; he prefers to be alone and will warm up to people eventually.” Kun defended the cat and Louis meowed in agreement.

 

It was simple stir fry but Johnny would pay his month’s salary to experience this every night, you can do that if you’re his husband, his mind thoughtfully supplied. Johnny enjoyed it and they made small talks, about ideas on their vlogs’ contents and some random things they wanted to try.

 

Leon was bored beyond wits so he wanted Kun’s attention. He walked towards the human and with a swift move, he bopped Kun’s cheek, surprising both Kun and Johnny.

 

 

“Why are you like this Leon?” Kun stated to laugh but Leon was firm with his affection.

 

Johnny’s smile fell and he glared at the cat, his own son disrespecting him like this? The grip on his chopsticks tightened but Leon just jeered at him. Kun patted Leon’s head with his free hand and Leon purred at the attention, Kun is one of his favorites and Johnny could only be jealous of the attention.

 

“Do you have favorites Kun? “Johnny suddenly asked and Kun blinked at him.

 

“Oh, I love them equally, Leon’s just more affectionate than the rest and he’s very comfortable with the camera.” Kun replied and Leon purred even more with the compliment.

 

“what about me?” Johnny then asked and Kun almost choked on his food.

 

“huh?” Kun asked, genuinely confused at the question.

 

“Do you love me?” Johnny asked, brazen but not sure where the confidence was coming from. “you say you love them equally, but what about me?” Johnny repeated the question.

 

“You were asking about the pets…” Kun said but was abruptly cut off by Johnny slamming the chopsticks down on the table.

 

 

“And I am asking about me! I’ve been trying Kun, it’s hard and difficult and I should be practicing until my legs will give out, but I only have this chance so if I won’t get any conclusive answer then I’ll just stop this and leave.” Johnny burst out and Leon let out a loud meow and jumped off the table to meet louis and together they left the humans alone to settle their argument.

 

 

“Why are you being worked up over the pets?” Kun was perplexed. “Weren’t you the one who said to stop whatever I was feeling because you won’t return it? Weren’t you the one who told me how stupid I was to take Yuta hyung’s advise and confess to you? Why are you getting mad at me?” Kun burst out, tears threatening to fall from his tired eyes.

 

“Even in NCT 2020, I tried hyung. I tried so hard, but you didn’t even see me. I had to go through comments saying that I was the only one trying, that we looked like divorced parents forced to attend a sports day for the kids’ sake. What do you think I’d feel?” Kun was now crying and so he ran to his room to escape the older but Johnny had caught up to him and held his hand tightly.

 

‘Wait Kun, I’m sorry.” Johnny spoke softly but Kun’s face was pained and showing the state of his heart.

 

“Thank you for doing the groceries, I’ll pay you back.” Kun said and tried to free his hand from Johnny.

 

“No. really Kun, can you let me explain?” Johnny pleaded and Kun looked straight into the older’s eyes and then nodded.

 

Kun twisted his hand so it can hold Johnny’s hand properly and then led him towards his room. Kun’s room was just like him, simple but b with potential. Johnny sat on the chair while Kun curled up on his bed, grabbing the stuffed panda and burying his face on the soft material. Johnny allowed Kun to compose himself before he tried to speak, and Kun appreciated the silence.

 

 

“Speak.” Kun spoke softly, still not facing Johnny.

 

“I did not mean any of those things back then.” Johnny started. ‘I don’t want to complicate things but If I accepted your feelings back then, it would be difficult for WayV should it be found out, there were strict regulations, and I don’t want to hinder your progress.” Johnny confessed and Kun looked at him, eyes red but tears had ceased to flow. “I couldn’t be any happier when you confessed but Kun, I had to think of your career, your debut means a lot, I waited 8 years mine, and I wouldn’t want to be the one to hinder that.” Johnny was now tearing up. “I’ve wanted to confess to you, countless times. When you visited the Cherry bomb set, when you became part of NCT2018, when we filmed H&Y, heck I wanted to jump on you when we became roommates in Osaka!” Johnny chuckled while his tears fell.

 

 

“I had to pretend to be flirting with Ten because management wanted us to have that image but spare you and the rest of WayV the issues. Ten can handle it, he did it to protect WayV.” Johnny informed Kun. “It was nothing but friendly.” Johnny sighed as he wiped his tears. “I know I did things that hurt you Kun, and even my confession is hurting you but Kun.” Johnny looked at Kun and smiled sadly. “It’s always been you. I love you for so long that it hurts to see Leon snuggled up to you and kissing you while I can’t do those things because I ed up.” Johnny finished and on cue, Leon walked into the room, hopped into Kun’s bed and wormed his way into Kun’s lap. “See my point.” Johnny chuckled.

 

 

“You were flirting with me on Resonance beyond live?” Kun asked and Johnny laughed.

 

“I got reprimanded for that.” Johnny confessed. “Worth every curse word though, I saw you smile at me, a smile for me.” Johnny said and Kun burst out crying making Leon hiss at Johnny.

 

‘Come here!” Kun ordered and Johnny was quick on his feet and sat on the bed only to be pulled into a kiss by the younger.

 

---

 

 

A loud ring disturbed Johnny’s sleep and he answered the face call with a grunt. ‘Get your down at the studio, the new track has been approved and you are a  part of the unit.” Taeyong screamed at him. ‘Where are you even? You missed practice and you ‘re not even answering your phone!” Taeyong sounded like Doyoung now and it irritates Johnny’s morning brain, he hadn’t even had his coffee yet to tolerate this.

 

 

“I’ll go to the studio, I just need to go back to change.” Johnny replied.

 

‘Take a shower there, Manager dropped off your clothes already.” Taeyong answered making Johnny gasp. “You think we didn’t know?” Taeyong laughed. “So is it a good news?” Taeyong asked and it made Johnny smile and nodded. But before Johnny can even speak, Leon jumped at him and greeted Taeyong with a loud meow. ‘I’ll take that as a yes.” Taeyong smiled at him.

 

 

‘ you johnny! You made Kun cry!” Yuta’s voice can be heard and Taeyong tried to silenced him. ‘I had to assure Kun before he confessed then you ed up, not even giving us any warning so I could have at least explained it better to Kun and not encourage him.” Yutae was seething. ‘but if you get to make Kun happy now, I’ll forgive you.” Yuta’s voice was softer at the end and Johnny thanked him.

 

“hyung, we’re going to be late.” Kun called out from the kitchen.

 

‘We?” Johnny asked and Taeyong grinned at him.

 

“You’ll promote with Kun this time, we all pulled strings for this to happen so make it count.” Taeyong said then hanged up. Johnny looked at Leon with a confused expression and the cat had to roll his eyes before he pawed the human’s thigh.

 

‘Kunnie!” Johnny rushed out of the room, and Yangyang was holding Louis, both are not amused at him.

 

“Can you not be a gross stepdad?” Yangyang asked and Johnny merely messed up the youngest hair much to the annoyance of the maknae then hurriedly walked to the kitchen to meet the love of his life. ‘Why am I living with adults that act like they are in a drama or something.” Yangyang spoke to no one but Louis agreed with him.

 

 

---

 

a/n: Yuta’s part was based on the H&Y steak date in episode 11 (ikseon-dong) and he did tease Kun when they were playing the dice game when he mentioned Johnny’s name to distract Kun (So yeah, yuta knows things and he is a good hyung so he supported Kun to confess here).

 

Maybe a promoting unit is a farfetched dream but it’s still a possibility, hopefully we get more interactions *cough* selca *Cough*