01- Reasons

Reasons

Listen to this while reading- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFM2XLBDF74

Reasons

[Yoona's POV]

Hello. I'm Im Yoona, your typical girl-next-door. I'm just like any other girls my age but there is one special trait about me-- I am inquisitive. Since young, I love asking questions. And because I love asking questions so much, I frequently pissed my parents and teachers off. But that was before I discovered the advantages of internet. Nowadays, I usually google for the answer to my problems.

-//-

When I was three, I was curious as to why it rain. Kids my age were fascinated but I was intriuged. And because I was intriuged, I took the liberty to find an answer. Umma and Appa had taught me that if I wanted something, I had to get it myself. This was no exception. And thus, I asked Umma. She explained to me that it rains due to the water cycle. I didn't really understand her before, but now I do.

-//-

When I was seven, I was curious as to why things drop from the sky. Back then, I just could not understand the logic behind it, and so I did some small experiments of my own. I took an orange, threw it up and timed how long it could stay in the air. I was never satisifed with the result and so I kept on trying. When Umma and Appa came back, they were beyond furious. Due to the mess that I made, I was grounded, sadly. But soon enough, I found out that things dropped because of gravity.

-//-

When I was eleven, I was curious as to why boys were so interested in girls. I asked my Umma and that proved to be the biggest mistake. EVER. She immediately assumed that I had a boyfriend and sat me down for a uality education talk, but not before lecturing me. I was only eleven then, for crying out loud! But later in my teenage years, I found out about something called hormones.

-//-

When I was fifteen, I was curious as to what love was. I had asked my friends and Umma what they thought about love, but they had really different views. And so, I googled it. What I found out was that love is a profoundly tender and passionate affection for another person. I didn't know much about love to question it and so, I accepted it.

-//-

Now, I'm finally seventeen, a age when dating is allowed. And I, to everyone's surprise, have a boyfriend. His name is Choi Minho. Minho is a shy but nice guy who loves literature. ALOT. We had first met at a science seminar and he, well, attracted my attention with his personality. Most of the guys our age were outspoken, arrogant and egoistic but he wasn't. And so, after months of peeking and stealing glances at one another, Minho finally asked me out. And from then on, the rest was history. I love Minho dearly and I couldn't ask for more. He was everything I wanted in a guy and because of him, I truly understand what love is. But now that I finally know what love is, I have a new question-- does love need reasons?

I have mixed feelings about this. I think that love does need and does not need reasons. I know it's confusing but heck, love the subject itself was never easy to understand right?

Thus, I asked Umma and my friends for their opinions. I got a variety of answers but majority agreed that love needs reasons. Their reasoning--  if there isn't something about you that attracts the guy's attention, would they even like you in the first place? Hell no. And so, the feature that attracts their attention is your reason. Well, I thought what they said made sense. But I had my own stand too. I told them what I thought about it and they had nothing to say to challenge back. My reasoning-- Let's say there's a couple. If you ask the guy what is it about the girl that made him love her so much and he replies her long beautiful hair, for example, when the girl has short and dry hair, does that mean that she won't be loved anymore. Love doesn't work that way, don't you think so?

But then again, both stands do make sense. However, there was one flaw about this mini-'experiment' about mine, I had only asked the females for their views but I didn't ask a single male. So, just to be fair, I made up my mind to ask my boyfriend for his opinions on our next date.

-//-

[The date]

'Minho oppa, what is about me that you love?' I asked. We were currently sitting across from one another, eating ice-cream. I figured that the question would be too formal in a sense and so, I rephrased it.

'Uhm, I don't know.' he said, uncomfortable.

'What do you mean by you don't know? How can you not know?' I asked, starting to get a little pissed. I wasn't expecting an answer like this, heck, I was expecting something along the line of 'I love you because of you're kind.' for example. And, well you can't really blame me for it right? I'm a girl and girls simply love this type of answers.

'I really don't know, alright?' he said, nonchalent as he his ice-cream cone.

'Well that's funny. All my friends' boyfriends are able to tell them the reasons why they love them, so why can't you too?!' I asked, extremely agitated now. All of a sudden, my chest felt tight and I started wheezing badly.

*Oh no. Oh no. Asthama attack.*

'Yoona-ah, gwenchana?'

'I-i...nhal-er.' I struggled to get the words out. I was running short of breath and it was getting harder to breath. After minutes of rummaging through my bag, he finally produced the inhaler.

'Here.' he said as he came to my side and pass me the inhaler. I took it from him and started pumping air into my mouth needily. I immediately relaxed when I felt the familiar gush of air but all that changed when my respiratory muscles contracted again. I pumped more air in, hoping that the tight feeling I was getting would pass but it only became more and more worse by the minute.

'Yoona, is it working?' Minho asked, his brow furrow. I shook my head in response. The inhaler was taking longer than it should to work its thing and Minho knew too. My asthma had, unfortunately been triggered many times before him so he was grew to be rather accustomed to it.

'.' he cursed. My vision was becoming blurry and before I knew it-- I out.

[Minho's POV]

'YOONA!' I shouted in alarm as she slumped onto the table.

'YOONA!' I shouted once more as I shook her.

*Wake up Yoona, wake up!* I chanted in my head as I shook her harder but hell, it was not working. Immediately, I realised that something was way wrong. Panicking, I dug my pockets and dialled for an ambulance.

'Hello? My girlfriend fainted! Hurry up and come now! We are at 10 Stevens Road. HURRY!' I shouted through the phone. I couldn't lose Yoona. Not now, not ever.

[At the hospital]

The ambulance arrived after a while and Yoona was now in the operating theatre. I had called Yoona's appa and umma while we were on the way here and they are currently waiting outside with me. Her Umma is distraught while her Appa is just staring into space. Whereas for me, I'm pacing outside the theatre while praying fervently that Yoona would be all right.

After what seems like eternity, the doctor finally came out, wearing a grim expression.

'Doctor! How is she?' I rushed to him and asked him.

'Things are not that good now. She's currently in critical condition. She didn't just suffer an ordinary asthma attack. She suffered a severe one and severe attacks are potentially fatal. We tried our best. If she is able to pull through the next 24 hours, then she will out of the danger zone, if not...I'm sorry. You should have sent her here earlier.' his words were clear and distinct. At his words, Yoona's umma and appa started crying. As for me, I didn't know what to feel. This can't be happening...it just can't.

[In Yoona's hospital ward]

As I stared at Yoona's pale and lifeless body, I couldn't help but just break down. It was all my fault. If I had given her a satisfactory answer, all this would not happen. If I hadn't pissed her off, her asthma would not have been triggered. I'm a murderer.

'Yoona-ah, wake up. Please.' I said in between sobs as I clutched her hand for dear life.

'P-lease..... ple-ase...' I repeated over and over again as I wiped away my tears. Yoona did not like seeing people cry, I bore in mind as I wiped them away. But my efforts were all futile, the tears just kept spilling over.

[Yoona's POV]

I can hear voices speaking and they sound so sad. So full of grief and sorrow. I could even hear someone crying. I wanted so badly to call out to them to tell them that I'm alright, but it was just so difficult. I'm scared. I'm scared of the darkness. I'm scared of the fact that I can't speak. I continued struggling and the next moment-- I could see light.

'Y-yoona?' I turned towards the speaker. It was Umma. I tried speaking to reassure her that I was alright but my throat hurt. And so, I smiled at her instead.

'OMO! YOONA! YOU'RE ALL RIGHT!!!!' Umma shouted as she bent forward and surveyed my face.

'U-mm-a, w-w-wa-t-e-r p-l-eas-e...' I said hoarsely. She seemed to have understood for she hurriedly poured me a glass of water from the pitcher next to the bed.

'Here.' she said. I sat up and brought the glass to my lips to take a few sips.

'Thanks.' I said, my voice was distinctly clearer.

'What happened?'

'Yoona, you fainted. And Minho brought you here. I'm so glad you're alright. I was so sacred, Yoona. I was so afraid...' Umma said, as tears rolled from her cheeks. Tears of joy, I hope.

'Umma. Don't cry. I'm alright now... Where's Minho?'

'I shan't cry. He left. He was so stubborn, you know. He kept staying by your side and did not even leave when we asked him to. We literally had to throw him out of this room.' umma said with a smile.

'Oh right. Here's a letter that Minho wanted me to pass to you if you woke up when he was gone.' I took the letter and opened it, curious. It read:

My dear Yoona,

Chongmal mianhae for everything. All these would not happened if it was not for me. If I had given you the answer that you wanted, you wouldn't have an asthma attack. If I had not pissed you off, your asthma would not have been triggered. It's all my fault. I'm so stupid! And also, I'm really sorry.

Yoona-ah, please wake up. Please. Don't leave me alone here. I love you and I won't know what to do without you. You're my everything, please don't leave me alone. I swear I'll make up to you if you do wake up. I know I haven't been the best boyfriend and all, but if you wake up, I'm going to make you so happy. So so happy that you'll most likely be the happiest girl in the world. I'm going to bring you out to many places for our dates. I'm going to make you smile and make sure you'll never regret for choosing to date me. I'm going to cook all sorts of food for you, especially your favourites. I'm going to sing any song you want. You name it, I sing it. You will be the happiest girl alive, I swear. So Yoona, please please wake up.

Yoona-ah, you don't have to hide it from me. I also know that the question you asked me wasn't the real question. You wanted to know if love needs reasons right? That was your actual question. And because you want to know the answer, I'll give you one. No, I don't think love needs reasons. Because if it does, I won't love you anymore.

Im Yoona, I love you because you're so beautiful. But if love needs reasons like now, I won't love you anymore. Look at you! You're all pale and lifeless!

Im Yoona, I love you because of your beautiful eyes. But if love needs reasons like now, I won't love you anymore. Look at you! You can't even open your eyes!

Im Yoona, I love you because of your melodic voice. But if love needs reasons like now, I won't love you anymore. Look at you! You can't even speak!

Im Yoona, I love you because your graceful movements. But if love needs reasons like now, I won't love you anymore. Look at you! You can't even move!

Do you get what I mean? Love DOES NOT require reasons because if it does, I won't love you anymore. But, hell NO! I still love you, more than ever. I love you and I will never ever leave you unless you want me to. I'll never stop loving you till the day I die, I know that better than anyone else. Saranghaeyo.

Yours always, Choi Minho.

*That's so sweet.* My heart swelled with joy as I re-read his letter. He was so sweet and I didn't know that he loves me that much, until now. How I regretted throwing tantrums at him. How I regretted losing my temper at him umpteenth times. How I regretted not being the best girlfriend I could be for him. He deserves so much more...

'Yoona...?' I heard someone call. In response, I looked up and immediately smiled. It was Choi Minho.

'Minho oppa.' I said as he took tentative steps towards me, as if I would suddenly whip out a gun and shoot him. A wary expression never left his face once.

'Oppa, what's wrong?' I asked, pouting. I didn't like the way he was looking at me. He didn't say anything but walked closer and closer.

'Oppa...'

'Yoona, are you really alive? I'm not hallucinating right? Nor am I dreaming right? I pinched myself but it hurt. Alot.' he asked as he cupped my cheek.

'Pabo. Of course I'm alive.' I chuckled at his cute behavior as I put a hand over his.

'OH MY GOD! YOONA! YOU'RE REALLY ALIVE!' he shouted and started jumping around, his eyes b with tears.

'Why're you crying?'

'I'm just so happy. Did you know how scared I was when you fainted? I was so afraid... I thought you left me.' he poured out all his feelings as he hugged me tight.

'I would never leave you. Minho oppa, I read your letter...' I stopped halfway to see if there was any response. There wasn't any and so I continued.

'And I realised you're right. And I'm also really sorry for how I treated you in the past. I was always getting angry with you for no reason. Chongmal mianhae.' I apologised sincerely.

'It's alright.' he said as he patted my back.

'Saranghaeyo, oppa. I really do love you. More than I ever thought.'

'Me too...' he said as he pulled away suddenly. Unhappy, I pouted to show my displeasure. He just laughed and started leaning closer and closer towards me. And before I knew it, or should I say, expected him, his lips were on mine.

-//-

So, what's the conclusion? Love does and does not need a reason. The answer entirely depends on you. Yes, love does need reasons. Because without them, love would be rather pointless, won't it? But yet, love does not need reasons too. Because with reasons, love will just appear to be 'materialistic', in a sense that you only love that person for something. Without it, you'll just lose all interest and I'm pretty sure that love don't work that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: So, how is it? I hope it's good and not confusing! :D I spent ages on it. >.< So please leave a comment and tell me what you think, araso?

By the way, the part about severe asthma episodes being potentially fatal is true. I googled it. ^^ You can google it too if you don't believe me. :)

Kamsahamnida! :D