Death Isn't As Mean and Heartless As We Think He Is

Life of Love and Death, Up and Down

“LET GO OF ME!” Lee Haewon screamed as she struggled against her long term boyfriend for the past 3 years. Today was their anniversary.

 

Choi Siwon struggled against the strong Lee Haewon that was trying to escape from his grasp.

 

“Listen to me Hae-“

 

She stopped thrashing in his arms and looked at her boyfriend. A tear escaped her eyes and she said, her voice cold and emotionless,

 

“Why should I? Today is our anniversary and yet, what are you doing here, in a hotel room, with her?!” Haewon pointed her finger to the half girl on the bed that had the sheets up high, covering her empty chest.

 

Haewon looked back up at Siwon and more tears escaped her pale blue green eyes.

 

“Look, I can explain I-“

 

“No. Don’t. I don’t want you too. Everything here, it explains itself.” Haewon turned her head away from Siwon and said,

 

“Let’s just break up. It’s over. I knew things were going to end like this…” She laughed to herself for a second before turning her head back, looking at Siwon.

 

“I shouldn’t have fallen in love with you.” She removed Siwon’s hands from her arm and took a few steps backward, her eyes never leaving Siwon’s.

 

Siwon took a few steps forward with her but was stopped by the sight of her face. Pain, regret, anger, hatred and despair were written all over Haewon’s face and Siwon couldn’t bear it.

 

“Good bye Choi Siwon…I hope, you and her will have a good relationship…unlike ours.” She walked out of the half open hotel door and closed it behind her.

 

***

 

Haewon looked at her surroundings. It have been nearly 2 years since her break up with her ex-boyfriend, Choi Siwon and that very day, when she had left Seoul, she made a promise to herself that she would never set foot in Seoul ever again, but, here she was, in Seoul, at Incheon Airport. She sighed and pushed her two large suitcases out and waited for the person who was supposed to pick her up.

 

“Haewon! Lee Haewon! Yo! Over here honey!” Haewon heard her name getting called at looked over in that direction. Sure enough, there was her best friend waving at her frantically with a large smile plastered on her pale skin. She pushed her luggage towards her but, before she even got there, she was engulfed by a large hug.

 

“Oh, my God girl! Do you know how much I’ve missed you in the last two years?! When you left you didn’t even tell me! Your best friend!” She pouted and Haewon that she shouldn’t stop her when Hyejae was on a role.

 

“For the past two years I’ve been trying and trying to contact you but you would never pick up your phone or reply to my COUNTLESS messages on Facebook! Do you know how worried I am for you?!”

 

Haewon saw Hyejae take a deep breath from all her talking and she finally thought it was safe to speak.

 

“Well, I still did end up calling you didn’t I?” Hyejae sighed and just smiled at Haewon.

 

“As long as you weren’t going to wait another few more years to call your best friend, I’ll just forgive you. Since you’re here now!” They hugged each other and then they went off.

 

***

 

“Have you…kept up on Korean news since…you left?”

 

The loud and happy Hyejae had left, and now, she was replaced by a concerned friend. Haewon sighed and looked out the window.

 

“No…I…I couldn’t face it…so I tried to block out anything Korean for the past two years…I didn’t want to…” Tears threatened to come out and Hyejae put her hand on her own.

 

“I know…I was just…wondering you know? A lot has happened to him since you’ve left…” Haewon turned to Hyejae and looked at her. Feeling Haewon’s gaze on her, Hyejae said quietly.

 

“I know what happened to the two of you honey. But Siwon and I have been friends for nearly 10 years…I can’t just break my friendship with him that easily…” Haewon knew it. If it wasn’t because of her, Haewon and Siwon would never have met, would never have fallen in love and would never have gotten together. She knew she shouldn’t force Hyejae to break her friendship with Siwon just because she and Siwon didn’t work out.

 

“So, what exactly made you want to come back again after what happened? I would have thought that you would never want to set foot in your hometown again.” Hyejae joked after the uncomfortable silence. Haewon smiled. Her friend was like that and she loved her for that.

 

“My parents want me to come back and take over their bakery shop.” Hyejae scoffed just as Haewon finished speaking.

 

“You? Bake? Seriously? Wow, they must be desperate if their forcing you back.” Haewon hit Hyejae playfully and they both burst into laughter.

 

What Hyejae said was true though. Haewon couldn’t bake to save her life. Everyone thought that it was because she was tainted with the memory that her older brother had died because of food poisoning of her cupcakes but it wasn’t because of that. Haewon just didn’t like to bake. But, this wasn’t the only reason she was back.

 

“They want me to just look after the shop because they said that they want to go and travel…and…” Haewon trailed off and looked out the car window again.

 

“And?” Hyejae prompted. Haewon told Hyejae everything. Every little secret she would tell Hyejae. She knew her better than anyone. They were closer than sisters.

 

“They want me to face Siwon.” Hyejae came to screeching halt by the road and turned to stare at Haewon.

 

“What?! They want you to what?!” Haewon didn’t say anything and just fiddled with her fingers.

 

“Oh, my God! You’ve got to be kidding me!” Hyejae drove off again, this time fast.

 

“What are you-“

 

“I’m going to give your parents a piece my mind!” Haewon looked at Hyejae and she had to smile at that. Although Hyejae and Haewon were like sisters, Hyejae and Haewon’s parents were like blood related family.

 

Hyejae could speak her mind out to Haewon’s parents. Haewon guessed that the reason was because Hyejae was their best friend’s daughter. They died during a time when Haewon’s parents asked Hyejae’s parents to go on a short holiday with them however, and Haewon’s parents blamed it on themselves, so they made it a personal goal to give Hyejae everything she would have if her parents were still alive.

 

They finally arrived and without another word, Hyejae got out of her car and slamming the car door, she walked into Haewon’s house.

 

Haewon stared at the exterior of her house and suddenly, she felt very homesick. She got out of the car slowly and walked up to the familiar pathway and steps, through the familiar smelling garden and into the familiar wooden door.

 

“-shouldn’t force her to face that bastard again!”

 

“But honey-“

 

“No buts! Haewon didn’t tell you the full story did she?!” Haewon felt herself catch her breath and she ran to the living room where Hyejae and her parents were standing.

 

“Siwon-“ Haewon clasped her hands over Hyejae’s and smiled at her parents as if nothing was wrong.

 

“Hey mum, hey dad. I’m back.” Haewon said and she saw her parents smile at her. They walked towards her and gave her a hug. This made Haewon removed her hand from Hyejae’s mouth. Big mistake.

 

In the mid-hug with her mum, Haewon heard her friend speak.

 

“Haewon, I know you don’t want your parents to know. But they have to know whether or not you want them to.” Hyejae froze and she felt her mother tense up at that.

 

“What do we not know? Honey?” Haewon’s mother broke the hug and looked at her worriedly. Haewon gave her an apologetic smile and turned to face Hyejae, giving her a death glare. Usually, in the past, that would always shut her up, but obviously in these two years, things had changed.

 

Or maybe they hadn’t.

 

“You can break off our friendship after this and I don’t mind. I have to tell your parents.” Hyejae turned to her parents and said everything in one go.

 

“Siwon cheated on Haewon on their 3 years anniversary two years ago which is why she left and didn’t contact any of us for two years.”

 

***

 

“I hate you.” Haewon said for the thousandth time but Hyejae just brushed it off and said quietly,

 

“They need to know.” Haewon knew Hyejae was right. She was always right. Haewon put the last of her clothes in her closet, closed her suit case and put it behind her door. She was done unpacking.

 

Neither of them said anything as Haewon just stood there, looking at Hyejae who was looking at her back.

 

“Don’t you want to see how he is…?” Hyejae asked, quietly.

 

Haewon stared at Hyejae for another second before turning her back and rearranging her desk.

 

“No.” That one word with no emotion, nothing behind it. That one word that spoke a thousand words. 

 

“Okay, well, since I’ve already managed to get you to “hate” me, I’m just going to tell you even if you don’t want to hear.”

 

Haewon sighed. She knew this was going to happen with Hyejae. She always thought you should know everything before you started to judge. Haewon guessed that that was a good thing about her, but sometimes, it was REALLY annoying.

 

“When you left, you have no idea what you did to him…”

 

~~~

 

“Siwon! What the hell are you doing?! You’re in the wrong position! This is so ridiculous! What the hell happened to you?! You used to be such a great dancer!” The dancing teacher shouted at Siwon.

 

Siwon didn’t say anything and just looked down at the ground. He could feel ’s eyes on his, worrying about him but he couldn’t tell them what was making him this way. How could he tell them that it was all because Haewon left? He couldn’t…

 

“Siwon! YAH! CHOI SIWON!” Siwon looked up at the dancing teacher tiredly and was greeted with a slap on the face from his manager.

 

“What’s gotten into you Siwon?! You’re never like this! What happened?! Tell me what happened?! You should not be a Super Junior member if you’re like this!” Siwon felt like he had just got on the slap in the face again. Mentally. He had worked himself so hard for the past 10 years and more to get where he is now and yet, how can his manager just say it so easily that he isn’t fit to be a part of Super Junior?

 

“Hyung, it isn’t his fault. I’m sure theres another reason why-“

 

“This is ridiculous. Let’s cancel. Call me when you’re reading to finally dance without any distractions!”

 

***

 

“…he was like that for nearly 6 months and in the end, their new comeback was missing a member and that was Siwon. So many rumors were going around during that time and I felt really sorry for him. He stopped talking to his friends in SuJu and he would only call me to talk to me.”

 

Haewon slumped onto her office chair and stared into space. Did her leaving Siwon’s life impact him so badly?

 

“And right now…he’s in a coma.”

 

Haewon shot up and whipped around to see Hyejae, tears welling in her eyes. She wiped them away and gave her a sad smile,

 

“Yeah…he got into an accident two weeks ago. Right after you called me, telling me that you were coming back to Seoul, I instantly called him for the news. At that time the first thing he was going to do was come here and ask me for the details. So I waited for him.”

 

Haewon didn’t want to hear the rest. Hyejae was choking back her tears.

 

“And then…” It was uncontrollable as tears began to roll down Hyejae’s face. She sniffed and forced herself to continue, her voice restricted.

 

“I got a call.” She was sobbing now.

 

“The ER called me first because at that time, he was about to call me and had my number ready.” Haewon didn’t want Hyejae see her cry so she turned around.

 

“He was in a car crash…”

 

Tears dropped down onto the carpet floor of her room and they could vaguely hear Haewon’s parents talking to each other downstairs in the kitchen as they made Haewon some food from her flight. What they said, however, was unclear.

 

“He’s been in a coma for two weeks…” Haewon heard Hyejae cry and she turned around and hugged her.

 

“He’s going to be fine…he’s going to be fine…” Haewon said to Hyejae while patting her on the back but, did she believe in that herself?

 

“You know,” Hyejae finally said in the hug.

 

“Whenever I went to visit him, he would always be muttering under his breath. It wasn’t until yesterday, when I went to see him again, did I finally understand what he had been muttering to himself.” Hyejae broke away from the hug and looked at Haewon in the eyes.

 

““I love you Lee Haewon.””

 

***

 

Haewon looked at Siwon that was lying so still on the hospital bed that if it wasn’t because the monitor on the other side showed that he’s heart was beating, Haewon would’ve thought that he was dead. She walked slowly and uncertainly towards him.

 

When she was finally standing over him, she was crying.

 

She just couldn’t deny it any longer. She still loved Choi Siwon. No matter how hard she wanted to run away from him, no matter how far she went, her heart was always going to be by his side.

 

Suddenly, his eyes opened. Haewon’s eyes widened. Siwon’s eyes widened also.

 

“Am I…dreaming?” Siwon said through the oxygen mask over him and although Haewon couldn’t hear him well, she still understood what he said.

 

She smiled at him through the tears and sat down at the chair by his bed. She took his hand in hers and said to him softly,

 

“No, you’re not dreaming.” He gave out a content sigh and closed his eyes with a smile.

 

“Finally…I finally get to see you again after two years…” He opened his eyes and saw that Haewon was full on crying. He lifted his hand from Haewon’ grasp and wiped the tears away from her face.

 

“You’re not pretty when you cry.” Haewon broke out a smile.

 

“That’s more like it…” Siwon’s voice trailed off and his eyes closed slowly. Haewon stared at him and for a second, she thought that he was going to…

 

“No! Choi Siwon! Wake up! Don’t you dare-“

 

“I’m not going to.” Siwon said to her, his eyes still closed.

 

Finally, he opened them and said,

 

“I have too much to say to you…I’ve missed you…” He moved his hands to touch the side of Haewon’s face but then, all of a sudden, his hands dropped by his side and his head rolled to the side.

 

************************A YEAR LATER AND HE'S STILL ALIVE***************************

 

“Yah! Choi Siwon! Where are we going?!” Haewon said to the boy running in front of her, holding onto her hand as if his life depended on it. He didn’t answer but just kept on running. Haewon was about to run out of breath.

 

Finally, he stopped and he turned around.

 

“Close your eyes.” He said to Haewon and she looked at him with a cocked eyebrow.

 

“Why should I?” She counteracted and Siwon just sighed. He knew this was going to be difficult.

 

“Just close them.” Haewon pouted and did what he said.

 

It was night and Siwon had taken Haewon to an empty football field.

 

“Okay, you can open them now.” Siwon said. Haewon felt that he was somewhere far away.

 

She opened her eyes and was blinded by the sudden light but when she saw what she was blinded by, she gasped and covered her hands over .

 

“Will you marry me Lee Haewon?” Siwon was in he middle of a large heart that was lit up by small pink candles. Haewon just stared and then, Siwon took out a ring from his pocket and said to her, this time more quietly,

 

“Will you, Lee Haewon, marry me, Choi Siwon?” Haewon looked at the ring. It was from Tiffany.

 

Siwon walked towards Haewon who could still not believe that Siwon was proposing to her. Siwon was now right in front of Haewon now and said to her,

 

“Will you marry me?”

 

Tears slid down her face and she nodded.

 

Siwon smiled at her and slipped the perfect Tiffany engagement ring on her finger.

 

“난정말당신을사랑리해일원” [A/T: I love you so much Lee Haewon ps. I used Google Translate~]

 

“사랑해”

 

**************************************************END************************************************

 

 

P.S hope its good xDDD

i added the "a year later and he's still alive bit bcz sthyme didn't get it and tho't he died LOL