Beginning

Back to That Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

i.

 

They had been so young back then, just teenagers, wrapped up in their own little worlds and of course, each other’s, because that’s how best friends are. Inseparable and reckless and adventurous.

It was late in the evening after Hyukjae’s 16th birthday party, and Yesung had saved the best surprise for last - a bottle of soju, that he had so carefully wrapped in the layers of clothes he’d packed in his backpack that carried all his overnight supplies for the sleepover that followed Hyukjae’s party. It was their thing, the two of them always spent time together after their birthday celebrations were over, talking and joking and playing games until well past midnight, when they’d be tired out and would fall asleep in whosoever’s bed it was that they were sitting on. That’s how it had always been, since they were tiny children, ever since Yesung could remember. 

When the festivities had died down and everyone else had retired to their respective rooms, Hyukjae and Yesung sat on the younger's bed, engrossed in a game of monopoly, and it was when Yesung was certain that the rest of the household had fallen asleep and there would be no risk of being caught that he finally unveiled the bottle.

And Hyukjae was indeed surprised, and excitement shone through his pretty brown eyes, as the older shook the bottle before uncapping it, proceeding to pour the clear liquid in the paper cups leftover from the party. It would be the first time either of them had tried alcohol, and it had been quite a feat for Yesung to even get his hands on the bottle, but it was worth it, any difficulty was worth it really, just to see Hyukjae happy. 

He handed a cup to the younger and raised his own, smiling at the eager face in front of him.

“Cheers, Hyuk-ah. Happy 16th.”

“Cheers, hyung.” His eyes crinkled as a smile formed on his lips. “And thank you.”

They downed the first shot in one go, and Yesung couldn’t say that he particularly enjoyed the experience. He could taste the distinct flavour of apples, but that observation was overwhelmed by the burning in his throat, making him cough and wipe his mouth with his sleeve, hoping he hadn’t just embarrassed himself, but it’s not like Hyukjae hadn’t seen worse before.

“Hah.” Yesung looked up to see a smirk on the younger’s face. “Lightweight.”

“Shut up.” He lightly shoved Hyukjae, whose only reaction was laughter, and that felt warmer than the alcohol itself, but in order to one up the gleeful boy, he stated, “I can drink more if I want to.”

And with that he poured himself another glass, and almost inhaled it, resisting the urge to cough again.

“Oh jeez, hyung, I was only joking!” Hyukjae's face was an odd mixture of amusement and alarm as he yanked the bottle away from Yesung’s hands, placing it on the bedside table. “You didn’t have to drink so quickly!”

The warm buzz in his head made Yesung realise that Hyukjae was right; he probably shouldn’t have been so impulsive. But what was done was done, so he only smiled before settling back against the bed’s headrest.

Hyukjae sipped at his second glass, and the two sat in the semi-darkness, slightly tired after the night of activity and tipsy from the soju, the steady music from the stereo the only thing punctuating the silence that enveloped them. Yesung found his eyes lingering on the younger, fascinated by the way the soft fluffy hair swayed at the light breeze wafting in through the window, the way he almost seemed to glow in the moonlight. It was a pretty view, and perhaps he should’ve been less obvious about staring, but his mind felt fuzzy and focusing on Hyukjae seemed to be the best thing he could think of doing.

And as such, he was so lost in the sight that he almost missed the question Hyukjae directed at him, but managed to snap out of it before the younger could comment on being watched so intently.

“How’d you like the soju?” Hyukjae had asked, and Yesung paused for a second to collect his thoughts, which was surprisingly difficult, though that was probably just the alcohol’s doing.

“It was alright, I guess.”

Hyukjae giggled. 

“What?”

And Hyukjae giggled some more. Yesung wouldn’t have minded this if he knew the reason; he honestly liked the sound of Hyukjae’s laughter, all bubbly and sunshine-y, the way it seemed to light up the room, but right then the amusement of the younger only puzzled him. He raised his eyebrow quizzically, waiting for an explanation, which Hyukjae gave, though not before laughing again.

“You’re speaking all funny.”

Huh? 

“No I’m not,” he said, but even as the words left his mouth, he could tell that he was indeed speaking rather peculiarly, his words tumbling over each other in an effort to get out.

“You’re drunk already, hyung,” Hyukjae snickered. “I always knew you’d be a lightweight, but this much? Really?”

“It’s not my fault,” Yesung mumbled. “It’s my first time drinking.”

“Mine too, remember? Plus I’m younger than you.”

“Yeah, whatever.” But he knew he was being teased, and he didn’t really mind that either. He spoke again, slowly and carefully, to avoid sounding as tipsy as he felt.

“Are you having fun?”

Hyukja

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter