Jealous of a Dog

Versions of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Let’s all pretend Irene is not afraid of dogs, or any other animals for that matter, shall we? Happy reading, everyone!


I was trying to think of what to get Irene for her birthday. I’ve never been the best at picking out gifts, and Irene isn’t exactly easy to buy for. She wasn’t like the typical girls, which is what I normally loved about her, but when it comes to shopping, it made things so hard. I took Wendy with me as she is looking for something too to give to her parents’ anniversary.

She ended up getting them some weird fancy standing animal display. I looked at it and she must have seen the way I knitted my eyebrows.

“Hey! I admit it looks weird but it symbolizes long life, good health, and happy marriage. My parents would appreciate it.” I laughed and raised my hands in surrender, “I didn’t say anything okay.”

“Have you picked out anything for Unnie?”

I sighed. We have been strolling and window shopping for quite some time but we’re still both clueless to what to get for Irene.

“Let's just keeping looking around okay?,” she urged. “Well, why don't you get her something like my gift?”

“Y’know she aren’t fond of those stuff.”

She rolled her eyes. “I mean, get her an animal. A pet. She's always saying how she loves puppies and how she's going to get one, but she hadn't gotten around to it.”

I smiled widely and hugged her. “Wannie you are a lifesaver.” I ran over to the pet store to pick out the cutest puppy ever.

I gently picked one up that caught my eye. It was so perfect. He was a pale sandy color Chow Chow. I was pretty satisfied with my pick.

“Irene is going to love you.” I said in a cheerful voice as I bought the dog.


On the day of her birthday, I walked the puppy over to Irene's place. She lived in an apartment (that allows dogs I already checked) and on the last floor with her roommate (who knew I got her one since I asked if she had a problem with dogs).

I walked up the steps and put the puppy on the side.

“Stay until I snap my fingers, just like we practiced.” I'd trained this dog day and night.

I knocked on the door and Irene answered.

“Hey, Seulgi-yah.”

I pecked her lips tenderly.

“Hey birthday girl.” I wrapped my arms around her waist.

“I've got a surprise for you.” I was careful to not let her see the dog.

“Well if it's another kiss I'll be happy to receive.” She said smiling and pecked my lips again.

“Well… close… kind of. Since you will be smothered in kisses once I give it to you.”

She smirked. “Goodie.”

I snapped my fingers and her whole face lit up like a little girl on Christmas morning when she saw the puppy. The dog ran to her and immediately began kissing her like crazy. She petted it excitedly.

“Hi buddy!” She said in between the dog's gleeful chirps. It was totally love at first sight.

“Happy birthday.” I said grinning and she looked up at me with a dazzling smile across her face.

“Thank you soooooooo much.” She said laughing as the dog repeatedly kissed her. 

We took him for a walk and Irene was completely infatuated with him.

“What should I call him, Seulgi?” she asked.

“I don't want it to be too sophisticated. Not to raggedy either.”

“That would be cute, Raggedy.”

“I just want it to be simple.” she muttered, ignoring me, as she the puppy’s head. We sat on the park bench.

“How about Gommie? Because he looks like a bear.” She said cutely as she squish the puppy’s face.  

Gommie hopped on her lap and from the corner of my eye I saw that thing growl at me. It looked at me as if saying, “You just bought your replacement.”

 

And I have to say, as far as the next few days went, I agree. I've met my match with Gommie, Irene's baby dog. I began to slowly detest that thing. She'd spent a lot of time with him and I'm not even the jealous type. They were the perfect couple. She talked more cutesy to him than to me. Her only words of communication to me would be about work and stuff. It wasn't just Irene, everyone was madly in love with little Gommie. The only part of this I liked was when Irene would tell everyone who gave her precious little Gommie.

“Oh my god, Irene he's adorable!” Yeri said as she ruffled Gommie's fur. He seemed to be cozying up to her quite nicely too. I frowned at the mutt. What a kiss up!

Irene nodded. “Seulgi got me him.” Irene said leaning down to kiss his head.

Yeri didn't even look at me. “That was nice. You two are so cute together.”

I smiled. “Thanks.”

Yeri arched an eyebrow. “I meant her and Gommie…”

I wanted to scream but instead I mumbled. “I know.”

Irene smiled. “want to go for a walk?”

I was about to answer, but of course, she meant Gommie, who happily barked.

I went anyway, but I don't know why. Irene barely made eye contact with me. I eventually grew frustrated with this and took her hand. She glanced at me and smiled lightly. It felt good to have her hand warm in my own. She laced our fingers together as she always did, but then GOMMIE began running and we ended up letting go and chasing after him.

“Gommie, baby come back?”

“Chill, rene. He’ll be back. You’ll just get tired from running.”

“Shut-up Seulgi, he might be hurt.”

“He's not the only one.” I muttered.

We found him near a big tree barking at a squirrel. I rolled my eyes as she rubbed his head.

“Don't you go running off again, okay? That was really stupid, you could have been hit by a car or picked up by someone else.”

I chuckled at the irony. She looked at me in a confused way.

“What?”

“Nothing. You really love that thing don't you?”

“Yes I do, and he's a dog not a thing, you know.”

“I know he's a dog, do you?”

“What's that supposed to mean?”

I figured with Gommie here, I didn't stand a chance.

“Nevermind.”

She kept looking at me though as if she were trying to read my thoughts. I kept my face as still and not obvious as possible.

When we got to her place, I smiled fakely.

“Well I'm going to get home. I'll see you… soon okay?”

She nodded, but she still had that look on her face. “Alright.”

She leaned in to kiss me on the cheek, but then Gommie started barking extremely loud. Funny how he stopped when I backed away.

“See you.” She said.

 

A few weeks later…

I still haven't seen all that much of her. If I did, it’s brief and she's w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter