Chapter 14

Made to Measure

 

"Anyeong icecream," ______ boomed, as he drove through the heavy traffic. "Hey, Sunny, am I good at this Korean stuff, or what?"

"You just said," Sunny said, laughing, "goodbye to ice cream."

"Whatever," ______ said, glancing over at her with a grin. "You are noemu yeppeo. That means very pretty, you know."

"Kamsahamnida," Sunny said, dipping her head slightly. "Yep, you're a pro at speaking Korean after just one evening at the Lees."

"Awesome, isn't it?" he said, chuckling. "Are your other two brothers as good-looking as the three that were there tonight? You Lees are certainly attractive people. You could be models."

Sunny frowned. "I'm a tad short to be a model."

"Oops. I didn't mean to hit on that subject," ______ said. "Let's talk about food. Your mother is a great cook and that was a delicious dinner. What can I say? I enjoyed myself. You have a fantastic family."

"I love them very much," Sunny said quietly, "even when they're making me crazy." She paused. "You actually had a pleasant evening? Despite the fact you were being given the third degree?"

"Yep," ______ said, nodding. "I just kept reminding myself that your clan believes we're living together...in every sense of the word. If you look at it like that, the drilling they gave me was perfectly understandable. If the smiles, handshakes, plus the hug from your mother mean anything, I didn't score too badly."

"You were wonderful," Sunny said, "considering you were winging it, making stuff up as you went along."

"What do you mean?" ______ said, frowning.

"You know, the bit about moving here to Seoul to open a branch office."

"Oh, that," he said. "Hey, we're home. I bet Murphy will be glad to see us, providing he realized we left."

"I guess it will work out all right," Sunny said, as ______ pulled into the driveway. "I'll tell my family you changed your mind about living here, decided you liked traveling after all, and our relationship went south, or some such thing."

"Mmm," ______ said, then got out of the vehicle.

Murphy was snoring when Sunny and ______ entered the house. Sunny went into the kitchen to tend to the bag of leftovers that her mother had insisted she take home, as usual. When she returned to the living room she discovered that ______ had one lamp, casting a soft glow over the area. He was sitting on the sofa, his arms spread across the top.

"Come sit by me, Sunny," he said. "Please?"

Sunny walked slowly forward. "Don't you think that sounds reasonable, ______? You left to resume your jet-set existence and we fizzled out?" She sat down next to him and looked at him questioningly.

"It would, except..." ______ said, then dropped a quick kiss on Sunny's lips. "Sunny, everything I said tonight was true."

To be continued...