part three: forever

counting to forever (i wouldn't mind)

 

January 1, 2039

 

New year, another year… Minjoo wasn’t expecting much change, to be honest. But that was before she decided to be less of a coward and finally take what was hers in the first place. So, this year must be something else. Minjoo would now quote, “New year, new me.” And it was on another level.

 

It took her a long time but hey, she was trying; however, so far — there wasn’t much progress because she was busy fixing stuff; like her career, her relationship with Jihyeok and their divorce was on the line now, her daughter, and other business.

 

No, Minjoo wasn’t too busy with Yujin because she was giving her space. While she was fixing things, she let the younger woman get solace and think for a while. Minjoo respected her and would only move once Yujin finally gave her a signal but so far, nothing yet — but the older woman was willing to wait. For now, while Yujin was getting the space and little time she deserved — Minjoo was picking the pieces up.

 

Seriously, Minjoo didn’t mind that Yujin was being distant to her. She was very much fine with it because she knew that if Minjoo lingered around, she wouldn’t be able to think wisely and thoroughly. After all, this situation... was a lot to take in, for Yujin’s part. And Minjoo was ready for her decision, in the very end, Yujin would be the one who would have a say if they would go back together or just… continue being friends while harboring deep feelings for each other.

 

The latter choice was saddening but that was okay, as long as Yujin was comfortable. She had a difficult time throughout the past decades so it wouldn’t be surprising if Yujin wanted to do nothing with her anymore.

 

But there was still a hope for Minjoo. She was ready to win Yujin back anyway. No matter how long and what it takes, Minjoo was prepared to be in her arms.

 

It had been almost a month since their talk and well, with the Jihyeok issue too. And it was going smoothly yet very difficult. Minjoo was always in talk with her company since she was also planning to fully retire into the industry and she didn’t want to lie that she and Jihyeok weren’t together anymore.

 

Even though she was pretty busy building the pieces for the better, she still couldn’t help but to long for Yujin. The latter was always around her at most times and barely seeing her was seriously new to Minjoo. Surely, she still sometimes dropped off to her cafe to drive her daughter there and they would only talk shortly before Minjoo had to go and arrange some stuff — and the older woman could tell that Yujin was being a little bit cold, like if she would stay long she would explode so Minjoo would immediately go away once she gave little Yujin a kiss on the forehead.

 

Things were pretty hectic for her, especially when they finally released the news that she and Jihyeok were getting divorced, they were the hot topic until now — baseless rumors started to spread like there was a third party and Jihyeok being abusive. However, Minjoo didn’t want for her ex-husband’s image to worsen so she asked her company to release another statement, the real story so netizens would shut the hell up, minus the part that she was in love with someone else all along.

 

That might cause more conflict and even Jihyeok himself told Minjoo not to say something like that.

 

Such a pity, the once perfect couple was actually a flawed couple ever since the very beginning. Everyone was shocked after the news of them getting divorced was out, nobody couldn’t move on.

 

And speaking of the custody terms, Minjoo would keep little Song Yujin under her care and Jihyeok said nothing on it, not complaining because he knew it was for the best. After what he had done to his daughter and ex-wife, he was even too embarrassed to show in the court and most especially when he had to face his former family.

 

Jihyeok said he would fix himself first before he would take care of his daughter again, and this time, he promised to be more responsible. He just needed a little time, and he still didn’t have the guts to take care of little Yujin even just for a while. Too ashamed.

 

Their daughter, surprisingly, got enlightened immediately. She was obviously upset enough that her parents were getting separated but she also said that if that would make her mommy and daddy happy then it was okay — she could go to them alternatively anyway.

 

Little Yujin was really an understanding daughter despite her young age, she knew well. She didn’t hold much grudge on her father either, and Jihyeok promised that he would be better — this time, his promise wasn’t shallow anymore and the kid accepted that, holding onto the promise, hoping that this time her father would really keep his word.

 

Of course, she and Yujin moved out of the house since technically, it was under Jihyeok’s name. The latter actually told them that they could stay there instead and he would be the one who would move out but Minjoo blatantly refused.

 

Minjoo had a lot of properties and she was filthy rich so finding another home for her daughter wasn’t too hard. She decided to live temporarily in the high-end apartment complex that she owned but she wanted to live in a house — however, that would be time consuming. Maybe soon. Once she wasn’t too busy with what she had currently in her hands.

 

Yujin actually offered her spacious, luxury apartment for them to live in temporarily since she lives alone there anyway but Minjoo also refused, she knew it was a bad idea even though it was tempting. Yujin wouldn’t get the space she needed.

 

The only thing Minjoo asked for Yujin was to take care of her daughter if she was away. Since Minjoo was pretty busy fixing things, she couldn’t keep an eye on little Yujin much but everyone was practically willing to babysit her for the meantime anyway since her daughter was a good girl.

 

However, Minjoo also made sure that she would make enough time with her daughter. She knew that it was also tough for little Yujin but the latter had no complaints hanging out with her aunties and ‘cousins’ like Yooeun. Sometimes, she would drop little Yujin over to her grandparents.

 

And mentioning them, Minjoo’s parents were shocked at what happened to her and her current ex-husband because they seemed happy anyway but beneath that facade, it was a flawed marriage. But they accepted it, a little bit heavy hearted but as long as their daughter was happy then they would be fine.

 

Much to their surprise when Minjoo revealed that she had been in love with Yujin all along. A woman. The old couple was about to have a heart attack and well, they were still trying to accept that truth. Minjoo felt bad but like she said, she was tired of lying.

 

Everyone pretty much knew now, to be honest, the reason why her marriage fell apart. Her closest friends were absolutely shocked too, however their reactions were pretty much divided — some were having a hard time accepting while some were supportive but even so, they all still respected Minjoo.

 

Of course, the supportive ones were the people who witnessed her and Yujin’s suffering throughout the years — they were a little bit puzzled at first but later on, they were so happy especially Hyewon who kept snorting at her and telling her how she witnessed Minjoo and Yujin always looking at each other like they were each other’s whole world, teasing that she couldn’t believe she had to experience those in their IZ*ONE days. But it was also the reason why Hyewon learned that something was happening between the two of them.

 

Yena threw her a party with a huge banner that said, “Congrats, you’re COWARD-FREE!” and “Kim Minjoo, after two decades, you finally got the balls”. It was hilarious and embarrassing at the same time but she was glad that her close friend understood her and supported her.

 

Minjoo was content, and she was lighter than before — those regrets and guilt were not haunting her as much anymore because she knew she was trying and fixing things. And Minjoo never felt this peaceful before…

 

The said woman stared outside the window. She was currently in a van, and going home — well, she still needed to fetch her daughter on Yujin’s cafe. It was the first day of the new year but Minjoo was also busy since she was finalizing her contract with her company, she was going to terminate it soon.

 

Maybe by the end of this month, she was finally free from the acting industry. She wanted to live a normal life now, she didn’t need to worry about her needs because she had a lot of business scattered around the country and she saved enough for her and little Yujin to live comfortably.

 

And the divorce papers were finally being processed smoothly now so she was less busy from now on, in a few weeks or so; she and Jihyeok were going to be officially divorced. Other stuff had been taken care of and Minjoo was able to breathe, she only needed to worry about terminating her contract but she was entirely free now.

 

Finally, for once, Minjoo felt like she was choosing the right decisions now unlike before. It felt like it was turning for the better and she couldn’t wish for more, the only thing she needed now was, of course; Ahn Yujin.

 

A smile curved up on her lips, her heart warmed. Just thinking of Yujin could make her smile already and knowing she was about to get a glimpse of her made her feel a lot better — it felt like going home, into the right place. She couldn’t wait.

 

Her manager noticed that, well, her soon to be ex-manager. “You seem really laid back these days and happy.” Jihae commented with a small smile, still focusing on driving the van, glancing at her through the mirror above.

 

Minjoo smiled at her through the rear view mirror, not saying anything. Hmm, because she was.

 

Not long after, she spotted a familiar sign and place. And soon enough, the van came to a halt, Minjoo reached for the door. “Thank you for dropping me, unnie.” thanked Minjoo before opening the van and grabbed her purse. Jihae just nodded, and after that, the ex-actress finally hopped out from the van and waited until it drove away before walking inside the cafe.

 

It was empty. It was currently eight in the evening anyway and well, it was the first day of new year but still, Yujin decided to open the shop. And it was for the better that there were no people since she always caused some ruckus especially after the recent news.

 

She spotted one of Yujin’s employees, Hobyul, behind the counter and wiping some glasses. The girl immediately greeted Minjoo and told her that her daughter was in the lounge inside so after thanking her, Minjoo made her way to the VIP spot.

 

Minjoo immediately saw her daughter who was playing with her barbie toys without Yujin in sight. The kid immediately beamed after seeing her, dropping her toys in an instant and ran up to her with a squeal, “Mommy~”

 

The woman caught little Yujin in her arms, carrying her then pressed a kiss on her fluffy cheek. “Hi, my baby. Miss me?” asked Minjoo with a smile, her exhaustion really became bearable after seeing the main source of her energy.

 

Kid Yujin nodded with a hum. “Yes! Yujin-ie missed Mommy,” She responded with a giggle.

 

Minjoo’s smile brightened. “Where’s your Auntie?” She asked the child but when the kid was about to answer, a familiar voice intensified behind her, making her shiver a bit.

 

“Here.”

 

Minjoo turned around almost instantly, and was greeted by the sight of casual Yujin — she was wearing glasses and her long black hair was tied up into a messy bun. She was holding a tray full of food. And damn, she looked so good that Minjoo’s heart wouldn’t even calm down, flipping happily at the sight of the younger woman.

 

Yujin obviously got lost into the stare too but she immediately averted her gaze, moving to place the tray on the table as she cleared . Minjoo pursed her lips together, trying not to look disappointed and brought her daughter down — the latter immediately sat on the seat, having a little hard time on settling herself on the chair but managed anyway with a huff.

 

“Did you already eat dinner?” Yujin asked, preparing the food, not glancing at her. Her tone wasn’t cold but it wasn’t warm either.

 

Minjoo realized she hadn’t eaten anything that day aside from the ham sandwich she made earlier in the morning and iced americano for lunch. “No. I haven’t eaten any solid food since this morning.” She honestly responded with a sheepish smile.

 

That made Yujin turn sharply to her, eyeing her with those worried, annoyed chocolate eyes. Minjoo just smiled at her innocently, “I was busy with the meetings and fixing some stuff. I forgot...” She reasoned out. Ah, of course, Yujin was really strict when it came to eating her meals on time.

 

Yujin really hated it whenever Minjoo would miss a meal. She was simply concerned for her and her health. And seriously, getting nagged by Yujin because she forgot to eat was making her feel giddy.

 

“Hmm. I made an extra, thankfully,” Yujin responded after letting out a sigh. “Sit down and eat with us. Let me just get another plate.” added the taller woman before dashing back to the kitchen.

 

Minjoo smiled secretly as she sat down beside her daughter who was already munching on her fries. No, Yujin always made sure to cook extra for Minjoo. And the latter knew that very well.

 

Yujin came back a little while after with her own plate of burger and fries with a can of soda. She sat beside Minjoo, and the three of them ate their dinner — thankfully, it wasn’t too awkward because little Yujin was happily blabbering about how her day went, proudly telling her mother that she helped her auntie serve some customers.

 

Minjoo just kept delightfully laughing at her adorable daughter. And Yujin would laugh too.

 

It was going fine until little Yujin suddenly said something in the middle of their dinner. She was munching on her burger when she suddenly lit up, as if she remembered something. “Oh yeah, mommy,” She called after swallowing her burger, and Minjoo hummed as a response, wiping the dirt on little Yujin’s lips with a tissue before getting a fry, dipping it into the ketchup.

 

“You know, I’m not the only one who missed you today,” Little Yujin excitedly said, side-eyeing her auntie and Yujin choked on her fries.

 

Minjoo paused, tilting her head cutely as she stared at her daughter in amusement. Her heart was raging in her chest. She ignored Yujin who was coughing beside her, waiting for her daughter to continue in anticipation. “Really? Who?”

 

“Of course, mommy! It’s none other than Auntie Yujin. Right, auntie? You kept telling Yujin-ie that you miss mommy also.” Yujin-ie chirped happily.

 

Damn, her daughter just dropped her auntie just like that.

 

Well, little Yujin must’ve noticed the tension between them. Something she couldn’t pinpoint but she knew that there was some distance between them that she didn’t like at all. So, here she was, doing god’s work.

 

Minjoo blushed even though she expected the answer already, well, until recently — Yujin wasn’t too expressive anymore about her feelings so Minjoo wasn’t really able to receive her affection. Before, Yujin could say that she missed her but now, well — upon the given circumstance…

 

The older woman glanced at Yujin who was refusing to look at her gaze, just biting on her burger while glaring at little Yujin who was giggling at her seat. The tips of Yujin’s ears were flaring red, enough to say that she was shy and embarrassed after getting exposed by her niece just like that.

 

There were butterflies in Minjoo’s stomach. Learning that Yujin really did miss her also made her feel things… positive things that she just wanted to float into the air. She wanted to kiss Yujin that moment but of course, she held herself back — there was no way she would kiss Yujin senselessly in front of her daughter and well, she still respected Yujin and the temporary barrier between them.

 

“Oh?” Minjoo faked a surprise, humming as she stared at Yujin. The latter glanced at her and once their eyes met, Yujin immediately turned her gaze away, taking a big bite from her burger, melting in her seat. It was the truth then.

 

Biting her lower lip, she turned back to her daughter who was looking at her, expecting for her reply which made her chuckle. “Don’t worry. Mommy missed your Auntie Yujin too. So much,” Her voice trailed off at the last part, her voice suddenly lowering.

 

After their lovely dinner, little Yujin insisted on staying a little longer, lingering around the kitchen and watching the workers make drinks for the customers. The others were very fond of the kid anyway, and the latter was just watching at the side anyway and not bothering them, giving them compliments from time to time.

 

Yujin and Minjoo were in the garden lounge, silence lingering around them. Minjoo silently sipped on her hot chocolate — she ordered it since it was a very chilly night because winter was still raging.

 

The younger woman was beside her, nibbling on her bottom lip, as she kept glancing at Minjoo’s free hand that was dangling between their seats. Minjoo waited patiently, and couldn’t even suppress her grin, hiding it behind her cup when she felt something warm wrapping around her hand. Yujin’s soft hand.

 

It had been a while since they touched like this. Yujin held her hand dearly. The latter was hesitating earlier, it was obvious enough but it seemed like she didn’t get to resist the urge and finally gave in, intertwining their fingers together, tightly after almost a month of tiptoeing around each other awkwardly.

 

Minjoo held back, equally tight as Yujin’s hold. And instantly, she felt warm, everything felt warm. Yujin’s hand was warmer than the cup of steaming hot chocolate on her other hand.

 

Neither of them spoke but Minjoo was slightly rejoicing because it meant that Yujin had finally given her the signal she had been waiting for. She was slowly giving in…

 

And Minjoo was ready to boost that progress.

 

***

 

January 12, 2039

 

Minjoo and Jihyeok were officially divorced. The actress was so relieved and her chest felt light when she exited the private office of her law firm. She met and talked with Jihyeok already earlier, sharing a hug — the guy was hoping that even though they ended up like that, they would still be friends soon. Minjoo wasn’t too opposed to the idea.

 

When she entered her car, Minjoo let out a deep breath, pressing her forehead on the wheel with a small smile on her lips. Done. She was finally free and Jihyeok was finally free from her stupid lie and decision too. She was lucky enough that she was surrounded by understanding people who never blamed her thoroughly for being too stupid and coward.

 

After that, she finally the engine and drove away from the firm. She checked the time and it was just ten in the morning — the company would soon release another statement about her and Jihyeok’s official parting. And it would be another chaos.

 

She got about… three hours to enjoy her peace before she would be on the headlines of the news again alongside her ex-husband. Geez. She needed to stay lowkey for a little while after that, waiting for the issue to die down and let people move on. Thankfully enough, the divorce news didn’t really much affect her career, no brands dropped her or anything.

 

With that, she focused on driving home — speaking of. Yujin was in her apartment, monitoring little Yujin. Yujin wasn’t actually needed there since her daughter was with her tutor until the afternoon but before she went to the law firm this morning, the younger woman suddenly appeared without a notice, saying that she wanted to visit them and stay for a while.

 

The corner of her lips tugged upwards, forming a small gentle smile. Hmm. She could finally court Yujin now, yes? She was a single woman from now on, after all. No ring spotted on her ring finger, only an accessory given by her mother placed on her index finger. Hopefully, her empty ring finger would be wrapped again with a ring. This time, she was expecting a ring from Yujin.

 

Yeah, yeah, it was too early for that. But hey, let the woman dream.

 

She halted her car when she caught under the red light. She tapped her fingers on the steering wheel while humming along to the song that was playing on the stereo, moving her gaze around and suddenly, a certain shop from a distance caught her eyes.

 

A flower shop.

 

And before Minjoo could even think of it thoroughly, she was already driving there, parking in the parking space in front of the shop. She just found herself already browsing through the flower shop with interest.

 

There was just one thought occupying her mind that very moment: would Yujin love flowers?

 

Minjoo eyed the beautiful roses with sparkly glint in her eyes. However, it felt like it was too sweet and romantic? For something that was just about to start? Hmm. How about something more simple? Hmm. Tulips looked good and not too… extravagant.

 

“A bouquet of tulips, please.”

 

Minjoo went home while nervously cradling the tulips on her arm. She was already in front of her apartment, and she was hesitating. Seriously, she was the homeowner yet she was scared to enter? What a fool, really.

 

The older woman was just a little bit, well, scared. What if Yujin didn’t like it? And the flowers were too much? Oh, she was absolutely overthinking. But she pushed herself to enter anyway after taking a deep breath for the nth time.

 

She casually entered her apartment, and closed the door, taking off her shoes before walking to the living room. And there was where she spotted Yujin. The latter was sitting on the couch, the television was open but she was looking at her, as if she was waiting for her to come in after the door opened.

 

Their eyes met and Minjoo’s heart shook in excitement and nervousness. She clutched the beautiful bouquet closer to her, stretching her neck around to spot if her daughter and the tutor were around but none — only Yujin. It seemed like they stayed in her daughter’s room for the study session.

 

Looking more relieved, Minjoo turned her eyes back to Yujin who was staring at the tulips she was holding. And Yujin’s gaze was intense, as if she was glaring at the bouquet of flowers.

 

“From who?”

 

Minjoo blinked, finally clicking. She shook her head immediately, approaching Yujin closer. The latter was looking at her as she stood up from her seat, her brows furrowed as she assumed that the flowers that Minjoo was holding were given by someone.

 

Minjoo just ed the flowers to Yujin, blushing. And Yujin held it out of reflex, looking at Minjoo with a confused expression written on her face.

 

“For you.”

 

Yujin was silent, just gaping at her for a few seconds then glanced at the tulips, inspecting them in amazement. Her eyes obviously lit up.

 

Minjoo chewed on her lower lip, clarifying. “It wasn’t given to me by someone. I bought it. For you, Yujin-ah.” In her defense, the reason why she was so awkward was because this was the first time she had ever given someone a bouquet of flowers with a romantic intent.

 

And to be honest, it was a nice feeling. Seeing Yujin stare at the flowers lovingly and softly when she finally learned that it was for her. No wonder a lot of lovers loved to buy their loved ones some flowers — she had never actually got it, whenever, she got flowers from Jihyeok before; it was normal. It was romantic but there was no… good feeling like this.

 

Yujin also looked shy as she held the tulips dearly then looked at Minjoo, there was pink dust on her cheeks. “Thank you… I,” She paused, her lower lip. “I just never expected this… yeah.”

 

Minjoo hummed, she understood it. She had never done this gesture to anyone before too so it was a change but it was a good one. She had never wanted to impress someone like this before. Admittedly, Minjoo used to try to impress Yujin sometimes but of course, subtly but now, she could sweep her off her feet boldly like this and it honestly felt so nice. Especially that she would witness Yujin’s shy and happy reaction.

 

“Me neither. I just found myself buying some flowers while thinking of you.” Minjoo responded, feeling her cheeks warm up again and she felt a little bit embarrassed after honestly declaring her thoughts earlier. She could freely do it now anyway, there was no boundary between them that would stop them from reaching each other. This time, they were the ones who were willing to take closer to each other, slowly but surely.

 

Yujin smiled at her, obviously delighted and moved. Minjoo was swoon, but the next thing Yujin did shocked her. The younger woman suddenly leaned in, pressing a quick kiss on the corner of her lip. “Thank you,” She murmured in her ear before leaning away with a grin.

 

Minjoo’s eyes widened, staring at Yujin. Her heart literally skipped a beat and the butterflies in her stomach were wilding. There was a whimper stuck in the back of , Yujin’s kiss lingered on the corner of her lip. It was maddening, really.

 

After she got to kiss Yujin that fateful day last year, it was getting a little bit harder to resist the urge to pull Yujin closer and kiss her senselessly. Her big respect for Yujin just held her back but slowly, her willpower was crumbling down, especially at what Yujin just had done — it sparked another flame within Minjoo.

 

Her eyes lowered down, landing on Yujin’s plump lips that were curved into a smile. No. Snap out of it, Kim Minjoo. She poorly tried to remind herself but still, her eyes remained glued, and itching to claim and taste those pair of lips again — craving at the feeling of Yujin’s lips pressed against hers.

 

Yujin noticed the look, and went tense but she stood still, seemingly waiting for something. Expecting for something. And her stare, that goddamn intense eyes, as if she was challenging her, urging her.

 

Well, that was Minjoo’s last straw, actually. Unable to hold herself back, she took a step forward, ready to tiptoe, and finally — finally kiss Yujin. But things didn’t go as well as they wanted.

 

The door of little Yujin’s room opened harshly, and the both of them jolted away from each other out of reflex, their hearts jumping.

 

“Mommy! You’re back! How is daddy?” Yujin-ie went out of her room with a big grin, running to her mommy.

 

Minjoo bit her lower lip, catching her daughter, and carried her using her arms; she then pressed a kiss on her cheek to hide her flushed cheeks. Ah, it was frustrating, really. She was mere inches away! But well, it was a good thing that they were interrupted before something could even happen.

 

“He’s good. Do you want to be with him next weekend? He’s asking for you, actually.” Minjoo asked, her voice was a little bit hoarse, still a little bit panicky after almost getting caught by her daughter and the tutor.

 

Little Yujin nodded with a smile. “Yes. He promised me that he will watch Disney movies with me all day once we meet!”

 

Both of them really got caught in the moment and literally forgot that little Yujin and her tutor were just a room away from them because they were into it.

 

If they were caught kissing then that would be a lot of explaining to do.

 

Yujin was equally flushed. Minjoo witnessed how she shakily dropped the tulips onto the table before throwing a tight smile to her niece’s tutor who walked out of the room. Damn, she was very affected too.

 

Ah, next time, maybe.

 

***

 

January 22, 2039

 

Today was a happy day, even though it was barely morning. Well, why? One must ask. Hmm, it was because Minjoo and Yujin would spend time together; yes, alone together, all by themselves. And they were going to the mall.

 

Her daughter was with her father for the whole weekend so Minjoo was pretty much alone. That was why she asked Yujin if they could stroll around the mall together and well, the younger woman agreed in a heartbeat.

 

It was a little bit saddening since Yujin-ie wasn’t with them, and both of them knew that the kid completed everything. Although sometimes, little Yujin was a handful, they would miss her so much. However, Minjoo would cherish this wonderful chance to be alone with Yujin. Ever since their little blessing came into the world, they never really got a chance to spend time together alone.

 

After sending little Yujin off to her father, Minjoo washed herself and dressed up. She knew that Yujin liked simplicity so even though Minjoo was itching to do her make-up a little more nicely than usual, she settled for a more natural look. She wanted to dress up to impress, even though it was still winter so she was practically covered by a thick layer of warm clothes, still stylish though.

 

While choosing the hat that she was going to wear, the doorbell rang, and Minjoo flinched — glancing at the clock and her eyes widening when she realized that it was almost nine. And Yujin promised that she would be arriving to fetch her at nine sharp.

 

Geez. She was so engrossed in picking her outfit that she didn’t even realize the time. Minjoo hurried away from her room and unlocked the security so Yujin could enter. The latter was wearing her casual winter fit but still looking so gorgeous. Her long black hair was down with the tips of her reddening ears peeking from the curtain of hair, wearing a bonnet.

 

Yujin smiled at her, “Ready?”

 

Minjoo nodded, even though she wasn’t really finished picking a hat to wear. Oh well, maybe the hat that she was currently wearing would do. She didn’t want Yujin to wait. The woman waited enough, Minjoo snickered to herself.

 

She hastily grabbed her purse, and they were set. Minjoo locked the door of her apartment and started to walk beside Yujin. No one really said a thing, they succumbed into a very comfortable silence as they went inside the elevator.

 

Minjoo was content knowing that Yujin was beside her. Her heart was already warm. Ah, she was really excited for this ‘date’. Minjoo already planned it out; they would stroll around happily, try out some good food, and buy some stuff together — here was the thing though! She would pay for everything and be a gentlewoman. She was the one who was courting Yujin, and well, most of the time, Yujin was always the one who would pay for their expenses in ‘hangouts’ like this. Minjoo was actually planning to buy a couple necklace with Yujin, hopefully, it wasn’t too much.

 

She was getting lost into her own deep thoughts that when she felt a warm hand grasping for hers, she flinched a bit. She turned to Yujin who was just looking forward but she was gently holding her hand then intertwined their fingers, guiding it inside the pocket of her jacket.

 

Minjoo went red. It was so sweet, what Yujin did was so sweet that her poor heart couldn’t handle it but she just held Yujin’s hand tighter inside the warm pocket.

 

“You didn’t bring any gloves?” asked Yujin as the elevator dinged.

 

Minjoo shook her head. “No. I thought it’s not needed since we’re going inside the mall anyway. It’s heated up.” She answered, walking with Yujin to the parking basement, towards the latter’s car.

 

“Hmm. Still,” Yujin softly nagged. “I have an extra pair in my car. You can use them.”

 

Minjoo bit her tongue to prevent herself from saying, “Ah no need. Why would I need gloves when you can hold my hand like this?”

 

The ride to the mall was not really fast nor slow. They talked about random stuff, mostly about little Yujin, vocalizing how much they missed that kid already. It was really cute. Yujin was a little bit pouty since her niece wasn’t with them but she wasn’t sad to spend her time together with Minjoo alone, actually, she was ecstatic. She just got used to the kid’s presence.

 

Ah, speaking of… if Minjoo and Yujin would be official together — it would mean that Yujin would be her daughter’s other, well, mother. She still hadn’t discussed it with Yujin, maybe when the time finally came. She knew it would be easy to explain their situation to her daughter soon anyway. The reason why Minjoo wouldn’t tell yet was because she and Yujin still had no label. It was going to be confusing for the kid so she wasn’t saying anything yet.

 

Soon, they reached the mall, and that was the start of their ‘date’.

 

So far, it was peaceful. They were happily strolling around, even browsing through some shops but surprisingly, Minjoo still hadn’t bought anything yet.

 

They also tried that new tteokbokki stall and Yujin was absolutely delighted. Minjoo fed her like a baby. It wasn’t too wrong to spoil Yujin, after all what she did? Hmm. Yujin deserved more than pampering.

 

However, when they were checking out a pet store in the mall — they spotted someone near the fountain, seemingly waiting for someone. Yujin immediately went to the person while Minjoo trailed behind.

 

“Joorim?”

 

Joorim jolted from her spot, turning to Yujin and recognition flashed in her sparkly eyes. “Oh, Yujin-unnie,” Then shifted her gaze on Minjoo beside her. “And Minjoo-unnie! Nice meeting you guys here.”

 

Yujin smiled at Joorim then asked, “Are you alone?”

 

The dancer shook her head. “Nope. I, well, I think so? My friend… uhhh, I think she ditched me. She’s not replying and I’ve been waiting for an hour here already.” She said, scratching her head.

 

“That .” Yujin pitied the dancer who looked like a lost puppy, waiting like that. “...Do you want to go with us?” She then offered, making Minjoo turn to her.

 

The older woman tried to swallow her disappointment. This day was supposed to be for both of them only… why would Yujin invite someone like that without asking her first too? She knew that she was pitying the dancer but still… Minjoo was a little bit upset.

 

But she did not deflate, acting like she was cool with it but inside, she was pouting and sulking.

 

Joorim lit up at Yujin’s offer, glancing at Minjoo. “Can I really? I was really looking forward to this day since I wanted to buy new clothes but unfortunately, that friend of mine ditched me.” She asked, a little bit worried and hesitant though, slightly shy too.

 

Yujin just smiled at the dancer then turned to Minjoo. The older one looked back. Yujin was asking her through her eyes, and who was Minjoo to decline? Even though she wanted to. She wasn’t that heartless.

 

Minjoo just nodded subtly even though she was shrinking and fuming inside. Damn, she wasn’t going to be this childish. She should stop. She could solo Yujin later.

 

Change of plans. After lunch, Minjoo would ask Yujin to watch movies with her in her apartment instead. Yes, yes. Absolutely perfect! She wouldn’t look like a greedy .

 

“Yes. Let’s go. Where do you want to go?” asked Yujin to Joorim once she got Minjoo’s permission.

 

And with that, the three of them continued their journey roaming around the mall.

 

Joorim was very excited and happy. And Minjoo was in a foul mood but Yujin did not notice that at all. Well, because her attention wasn’t fully on the older woman.

 

They went to different shops, browsing and all, helping Joorim pick some clothes and other stuff. Minjoo mostly stayed at the side, only speaking when necessary.

 

Yujin would check on her from time to time but it was a little bit saddening that her attention was divided, and mostly on Joorim. The dancer was a bubbly, talkative woman so she was always blabbering some stuff that Minjoo couldn’t relate to but Yujin could. They were close friends after all, and Minjoo was just a mere acquaintance.

 

Minjoo tried to not take it seriously, she shouldn’t be too greedy. She already knew that she was the only woman Yujin loved but still, there was a heavy feeling in her chest as she watched Joorim and Yujin happily interact in front of her, completely forgetting that someone was with them.

 

The older woman didn’t want to be that possessive woman, she didn’t want to show that side of herself in front of a close friend of Yujin. She shouldn’t feel jealousy because she was well aware that Yujin never liked and would never like Joorim the way she loved Minjoo.

 

But still, she couldn’t swallow her jealousy when Joorim was being clingy to Yujin and the latter wasn’t minding it, letting the dancer cling to her arm as they talked happily. While Minjoo was walking three steps behind them.

 

Until finally, Minjoo realized.

 

“I became the third wheel on my own date.” murmured the older woman to herself as she watched Yujin play the claw machine and Joorim was encouraging her to get her the cute pink teddy bear.

 

Minjoo was breaking. And she thought she couldn’t handle this anymore. It was for the better if the ground would eat her up instead. Ah, Minjoo wanted to go home… her day was ruined.

 

So, when the two decided that they should eat lunch, Minjoo refused.

 

“I need to go now. I forgot that me and Jihae manager-unnie are going to meet up to discuss some stuff.” Minjoo lied through her teeth, no, there was no such plan. She was wholly free that day but she was eager to go away and it would be rude of her if she would just disappear without an excuse, right? Even though, technically, they wouldn’t probably notice her disappearance.

 

Yujin’s brow shot up, facing Minjoo. The older woman refused to look at her, checking her phone out for better acting.

 

“I’ll just call her to fetch me here. You guys continue hanging around or something. See you.” Minjoo rapidly bid her goodbye and not even caring if she sounded like a robot. She was just so desperate for an escape, and turned around — blinking away her tears, no, she shouldn’t be this pathetic! A thirty seven year old woman, crying over this? Huh… stupid.

 

Minjoo walked away before Yujin could even stop her. And when she was about to reach the exit…

 

Minjoo tried her best not to be disappointed.

 

Because Yujin did not follow her nor stop her.

 

It was petty and stupid. Minjoo was the one who left them both but she was actually getting emotional because Yujin did not trail after her? Geez. She was going insane, really.

 

She walked away further from the exit, and shakily took and opened her phone. She actually didn’t know who to call to be honest. Her manager was actually out of town, and the others would know what happened if Minjoo would ask them to fetch her.

 

Jihyeok’s name caught Minjoo’s eye on the list of her contacts. There was no harm asking her ex-husband to fetch her, yes? She hesitated and stood there for a few minutes. And when she shivered, feeling very cold because the wind was blowing harshly to her. She finally swallowed her pride and was about to press the call button when suddenly—

 

“Minjoo!”

 

Minjoo’s heart jumped. There was just no way she would never recognize that voice.

 

She turned her head a bit and saw a rushing figure towards her. And oh, it was indeed Ahn Yujin. God damn it. She thought… , Minjoo thought Yujin would leave her be and stay with Joorim.

 

Yujin halted in front of her, panting slightly after running. Minjoo’s lips quivered, from the cold and because she was about to cry. Yujin looked very guilty, she finally caught what had happened.

 

“I told you that I’m the one who’s going to chase you until the very end of the world but here you are…”

 

Minjoo murmured sadly, sighing defeatedly, and looked away as shivered under the cold weather — ashamed of herself. Why was she always making Yujin chase her like this when she was the one who was supposed to be scrambling onto her feet to chase after her and take her away?

 

Yujin took a deep breath and took her own scarf, she stood in front of Minjoo, and wrapped it around her instead. Minjoo was moved because of the gesture but she remained mum, letting her devastated heart bloom again.

 

“No. You already caught me, Minjoo.” Yujin answered with a serious tone, her eyes hard, and sincere. Minjoo’s heart rattled.

 

Yujin added immediately, equally as intense. “And I will never run away again.” The older woman bit her lower lip at what she had heard; Yujin was comforting her, reassuring her. “We already caught each other, baby.”

 

Silence took over them. Minjoo was simply speechless and overwhelmed. Even until now, she was still overwhelmed that Yujin was like this. So understanding, sweet, considerate, faithful, and just everything perfect… Someone who she exactly doesn’t deserve. But to Yujin — Minjoo was more than worth it for thousands of heartbreaks and decades of suffering.

 

Yujin broke the silence with a sigh, looking at her softly.

 

“I’m sorry. Let’s go home. Hmm?” Yujin apologized sincerely, and Minjoo knew well what she was apologizing for.

 

“How about Joorim?” Minjoo asked, quiet.

 

Yujin grabbed her hand, and dragged her to where her car was parked, answering. “I made up some excuse. I realized that you were upset. And I get it. I practically ignored you and…” the woman bit her lower lip, just opening her car, and supported Minjoo to sit on the passenger seat. Once she saw that Minjoo was settled there, she went to the other side.

 

Minjoo snuggled to Yujin’s scarf. “It’s okay. It’s partly my fault too. I could’ve just stayed. Sorry for being like this, Yujin-ah.” She responded, and her voice broke — and tears betrayed her as droplets fell. She was pathetic when it came to Yujin, she couldn’t help but to feel helpless…

 

Yujin was alarmed, pulling Minjoo close to her by gently tugging her scarf towards her direction then cupped her frozen, flushed cheeks then wiped her diamond tears. And when Minjoo wasn’t expecting it, Yujin leaned closer to press a soft but firm kiss on her lips.

 

Minjoo instantly melted, and much to her dismay, the kiss just lasted for three seconds when Yujin pulled away, planting a kiss on her forehead. “Don’t cry. It hurts me. I hate it when you cry.” hushed the younger woman, staring at her softly.

 

And this time, Minjoo was the one who moved — crashing her lips on Yujin’s, and kissed her passionately, holding on her jaw to steady the younger woman who was slightly surprised at the action but it was not unwelcomed, immediately responding back to the kisses after calming down.

 

Thank the gods that Yujin’s car was heavily tinted. Minjoo wasn’t too worried about kissing Yujin until her jaw wore off from her face.

 

This woman… Ahn Yujin — god, this woman never failed to make her feel extreme things that she couldn’t even hold herself back anymore. This was the only way Minjoo could show Yujin her feelings except for vocalizing it.

 

She loved this woman so much. Too much even though she risked her whole world and Yujin’s own world before.

 

***

 

January 27, 2039

 

“Jinie-yah, here’s your cookies,” Minjoo placed the plate of cookies on top of the table.

 

Kid Yujin, who was doodling something on a paper with her tongue poking out, looked up to her mother and then beamed. “Thank you, Mommy!” She chirped, stretching her free hand to pick up a cookie then ate it with delight.

 

Minjoo just smiled at her, sitting on the floor across from her daughter, and watched her nip on her cookies while she drew on the sheet of paper with her crayons.

 

Hmm, should she insert Yujin as their topic? She knew her daughter wouldn’t mind talking about her favorite auntie all the time but this time, there was an intent. Minjoo propped her chin on her palm, smiling at her daughter.

 

“What do you think of your auntie Yujin?”

 

Little Yujin looked up, intrigued. “She’s the best.” She simply answered, happy. “She makes Yujin-ie happy, and she makes Mommy happy!”

 

Minjoo’s smile widened, broadening, then hummed. She was right. “Do you like her for Mommy?”

 

Her daughter turned to her, blinking, as if her mommy was weird. “Of course! Didn’t Yujin-ie already say that she makes Mommy happy? The happiest! She’s always by our side and she takes care of Mommy. I love her so much. And you know, Mommy. Auntie Yujin always says too that she loves you so much and also Yujin-ie.” She answered. Minjoo grinned at her, reaching to pinch her daughter’s fluffy cheek.

 

“I love her too, your auntie Yujin…”

 

The kid hummed, continuing doodling on her crayon. “Yujin-ie knows.” She responded happily. Minjoo wasn’t surprised at all.

 

“Mommy loves Auntie Yujin as much as Auntie Yujin loves her!”

 

***

 

February 05, 2039

 

It was Minjoo’s birthday and she decided to have a small celebration in Yujin’s cafe again. She rented the whole place but unlike before, it was less sophisticated and just simply casual.

 

The visitors were just close friends and they were just getting free drinks and food from the menu of the shop. And well, there were alcohol beverages too but that would be for later instead.

 

The night went deeper, and Minjoo didn’t see Yujin much around. Well, she was busy tending the visitors too, anyway while Yujin would help around, also socialize. They didn’t interact much that day.

 

Earlier, when the clock struck twelve in the midnight, Yujin called her to greet her. She was the first person who greeted Minjoo and that absolutely brightened up her mood. The younger woman had yet to give her her gift though since they were both busy — Minjoo could wait anyway. She would rather receive it while she was alone with Yujin.

 

It was already ten in the evening, and Minjoo closed the door of the room after tucking her daughter under the sheets. There was a small room in Yujin’s cafe where people could sleep in sometimes, and well, it was handy for instances like this. She couldn’t just go home easily because she still had some visitors.

 

The kid didn’t have any problem sleeping in that room anyway, plus, little Yujin was a heavy sleeper so there were no issues at all. Yooeun was there too, sleeping in with her ‘cousin’. Her father and Eunbi were also going to stay in for a while to drink and celebrate with Minjoo.

 

When she entered the longue, she roamed her gaze around the dim and peaceful place, there was a chill music blasting off from the speakers which made the atmosphere more lively. Her friends were already drinking and grouped on their own.

 

However, she couldn’t spot Yujin around. She wasn’t in the kitchen either. So, she finally asked one of the present workers if she spotted Yujin and the guy stuttered, pointing at the entrance. Minjoo just thanked him and walked away, continuing her journey to find Yujin.

 

When she approached the entrance, she spotted Yujin through the glass window and she wasn’t alone like Minjoo had expected. She was with Joorim.

 

Of course, she still invited Joorim even though it was a little bit awkward for them. Yujin wouldn’t originally invite her but Minjoo was the one who insisted.

 

Minjoo bit her lower lip, pushing the door open silently then hid behind the huge plant by the entrance, leaning against the wall as she waited for them to finish their conversation — she didn’t want to interfere.

 

She knew it was wrong to eavesdrop but she couldn’t help it.

 

“Yujin-unnie,”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Can I tell you something important first? I — I, before I go home.”

 

“What is it, Joorim?”

 

Minjoo shifted uncomfortably on her spot. She was not liking how their conversation turned out, and it looked like it was going to be a longer one. But still, Minjoo stayed.

 

She couldn’t see them much because the plant was blocking her view and it was for the good anyway since they might spot her listening.

 

Minjoo took a peek anyway. Joorim was looking hesitant, she was nervous and fidgeting on her spot, biting her lower lip. Her cheeks were obviously flushed. Earlier, Minjoo had already spotted Joorim asking for alcoholic beverages instead of milkshakes or anything. The woman must be tipsy, her system was definitely affected by the alcohol now.

 

“I’m...”

 

Yujin looked wary at her friend’s hesitance.

 

“Hey. It’s alright, Joorim-ah. You can tell me. What’s bothering you?” urged the taller woman softly.

 

Joorim looked even more intense, staring at Yujin with a hard gaze that Minjoo didn’t like; she looked determined, ready to erupt. And there was a negative sensation bubbling Minjoo’s stomach but she ignored it, watching the scene unfold.

 

“Ahn Yujin!” Joorim called. Yujin just stared at her, confused.

 

Minjoo felt her heart drop as she intently watched the scene from afar. She was getting a feeling already and she was having conflicted thoughts. She clenched her fists, and didn’t mind the gust of cold wind that passed.

 

“I — I like you, unnie.”

 

There it was. Minjoo froze when she heard that. Her ears rang at the sudden confession.

 

It wasn’t too surprising because Minjoo surely saw it coming. She witnessed how Joorim looked at Yujin. At first, it was indeed a simple adoration only, Minjoo saw that cute glint in Joorim’s eyes that day when she and Yujin first walked together but as time passed, it turned into something more intense and it was noticeable to Minjoo.

 

Joorim was definitely harboring feelings for Yujin. And Minjoo could tell because Joorim kept looking at Yujin like how Yujin stared at Minjoo in their early days… the kind of stare as if Yujin hung the stars in the sky — it was the same stare Minjoo used to get from her lover. It was all too familiar that was why she was a little bit wary around Joorim, hoping that she was mistaken.

 

But this… confession proved her wrong. Her assumption was right. She was pitying Joorim already.

 

Yujin looked surprised, but she did not say anything, remaining calm. After a few seconds, she finally responded when she realized that the dancer was waiting for her reply. “You’re drunk. I’ll hail a cab for you,” She said instead, ready to take her phone out but Joorim held her wrist, still looking hard at the taller woman.

 

Minjoo’s breath hitched.

 

“I mean it… I like you so much, unnie. I know it’s sudden but… I really like you, sincerely. In a romantic way.” Joorim whispered, her gaze lowered down.

 

Yujin did not say anything but Minjoo could feel her pitying her friend already, sad that everything turned like this. She was sad for her.

 

“At first, it was just adoration. You… You were my number one idol before and you inspired me a lot but… when we spent time together, yeah, I fell. You’re a lovable woman after all, unnie, and I’m one of the many victims of your terrifying charm. I can’t help it.” Joorim added, taking a deep breath.

 

Minjoo was frozen like a statue behind the plant. Hmm. What Joorim had said was true…

 

“Unnie. Do I have a chance? I really want to work it out with you…”

 

And there was when Minjoo’s heart dropped. She immediately took a peek from the plant, she went visibly tense. Oh no, Joorim was hoping for a chance, not just merely confessing… Her eyes darted to Yujin, the latter looked calm but there was this… gloomy aura in her that Minjoo couldn’t pinpoint.

 

“I’m sorry,” And there it goes. Minjoo felt relieveness washing over her.

 

Joorim’s face was crestfallen, however, it looked like she was expecting Yujin to reject her already. She just really tried. Minjoo’s heart stung though, it felt a little bit saddening. Of course, who wouldn’t feel bad. Joorim was a victim of one sided love…

 

A sigh escaped between Joorim’s lips. “Well, at least I tried,” Her voice was defeated and the smile on her face was broken. “May I know though… why? I know you’re not the ‘dating’ type but you must have your reason.”

 

There was silence. Minjoo waited for Yujin to speak. She wasn’t really expecting Yujin to tell Joorim about them since well… it was a sensitive topic, still. So, much to her shock when Yujin straightforwardly answered.

 

“I’m in love with someone.” Yujin whispered it — it was a simple whisper but held a lot of suppressed feelings. Minjoo bit her lower lip.

 

“With whom…?” Joorim asked again.

 

Yujin did not say anything at first but soon, Minjoo heard a very quiet voice.

 

“Minjoo.”

 

Joorim gave her friend a smile. “I had a hunch…” She whispered then gulped. “B-But I shrugged it off since she was married and all. But how long, Yujin-unnie?”

 

Minjoo felt her heart racing. She had never really expected Yujin to answer Joorim’s questions honestly like that. There was no hesitation, because now — there was nothing to hide, there was no hindrance anymore. Minjoo’s chest puffed up in pride. Yujin was never ashamed of Minjoo and her love for Minjoo.

 

“Twenty years and counting,” Yujin answered, and Minjoo could already imagine the smile she was wearing.

 

Joorim was stunned at the revelation. “...Since IZ*ONE days?”

 

Yujin nodded softly. “Since IZ*ONE days. Her. Only her and no one else, until now.” She responded and damn, Minjoo’s heart was practically jumping in joy. She was just happy to hear that from Yujin, and the way she said it to other people like that?

 

. Minjoo couldn’t even stop grinning like a fool. Her conscience was slowly wearing off, she wasn’t feeling guilty eavesdropping like this.

 

“But…” Joorim said, hesitating a bit. “Are you two…” The woman pursed her lips together, she probably realized she was crossing the line.

 

Yujin shook her head. “No. But I want to, very badly.”

 

“I see. You really love her so much…”

 

“Yes. I love her the most so I’m really sorry, Joorim-ah. I can only give you friendship.”

 

Joorim flashed Yujin a bright smile. “It’s okay. It’s not required for my feelings to be reciprocated. I’m satisfied that you know that I like you. More than enough. Thank you, Yujin-unnie. I hope this won’t change much between us.” She replied, and sighed.

 

With that, the both of them talked for a while as they waited for the taxi that Joorim hailed through online. There was no awkward atmosphere between them and Minjoo was relieved. Even though Minjoo didn’t like Joorim that much — she was a close friend of Yujin. So, the last thing she wanted was for Yujin to lose a friend because she was in love with Minjoo.

 

When the taxi appeared, Joorim bid her goodbye, and same for Yujin while Minjoo just stayed back at her spot, waiting patiently but then; Joorim said something that shocked Minjoo a bit.

 

“Yujin-unnie. I don’t know if I’m in the right place to say this but…” Joorim paused after she opened the door, turning to Yujin who was waiting by the side. She then threw the younger woman a smile.

 

“Minjoo-unnie. She loves you, that is for sure. I can see it through her eyes.”

 

Even Yujin was surprised at what Joorim had said.

 

“I know.” Yujin replied, but there was no arrogance in it or anything. Only genuine happiness.

 

“You two look great together. I’m rooting for the both of you.”

 

With that, Joorim finally entered the taxi with one last hug from Yujin. The latter stood there under the lamp post, waiting for the vehicle to disappear from a distance — and soon, when it vanished from her sight; she heaved a sigh then turned around, walking to the cafe.

 

Their eyes met. Yujin smiled tiredly at her. “How long have you been standing there?” She asked, her voice was a little bit tense.

 

Minjoo leaned away from the wall, brushing some strands of her hair from her face, then pressed herself against Yujin. The latter just caught her, wrapping her arm around her waist, pulling her closer.

 

“Long enough. I heard her confession.” Minjoo whispered, snuggling further to Yujin.

 

The taller woman hummed, caressing the small of her back that sent shivers through Minjoo’s spine. “I rejected her. I only love you.”

 

Minjoo grinned, leaning away from the hug to look up at her. “I heard,” She responded, wiggling her eyebrows playfully. Yujin smiled at her then grabbed her wrist, having an intention to drag her inside the shop since it was cold but Minjoo stayed still, tugging Yujin back.

 

The younger woman was a little bit confused, facing Minjoo with a confused expression but her hold around her wrist didn’t lose. The older woman just sheepishly grinned at her.

 

“I love you.” Minjoo suddenly blurted out that caught Yujin off-guard, blinking — she was blushing and a little bit flushed.

 

“I — I love you, too. What’s with you, suddenly?” Yujin stammered, a little bit shy after hearing those words from Minjoo. It wasn’t too often for Minjoo to be bold and vocalize so it was startling for Yujin.

 

Minjoo was delighted by her reaction. “Nothing. Is it bad to declare my love for you all of a sudden? I love you, I love you, I love you—”

 

“Okay, okay!” Yujin’s ears were already flaring red from shyness, not from cold. “I, well, I guess I’m not too used to it. I still get shy. I don’t know.”

 

Minjoo hummed, puckering her lower lip a bit but eyed Yujin with the softest gaze. “You should get used to it,” She said, “We’re not even starting yet, Yujin. And you’re getting flustered so bad. How more if we’re official? Jesus Christ, you will hear me mumbling those words every five seconds.” She playfully added.

 

“Why not start today?”

 

Minjoo froze. She looked at Yujin who was smiling, eyes turning into crescents. Minjoo tried to see through her, trying to spot if she was being playful but none. Yujin’s eyes held the utmost sincerity that Minjoo felt herself melting on the floor.

 

“Yujin?” The older woman asked, hinting for further elaboration.

 

Yujin giggled, reaching for her face, and combed Minjoo’s short hair then settled her warm hand on her cheek, lovingly caressing it — her hair was getting messy because of the cold wind. She knew it was a bold move, especially when they were out in the open like this but the both of them couldn’t care less anymore.

 

“Do you want us to start today?” Yujin asked. Her question was soft, unfeigned, and genuine.

 

Minjoo’s throat dried up. “B-But, aren’t we too early? I-I’m still courting you…” It was not like that. Minjoo wasn’t opposed to the idea, however, she thought that this courting phase wasn’t enough.

 

Yujin gave her a pointed look. “It will lead to that soon after all, why wait?” She reasoned out casually, stepping closer to Minjoo, while the latter could only take steps backwards until she was pinned against the same wall that she was leaning against while eavesdropping minutes ago.

 

The younger woman bent her back a bit, reaching for her reddening ear. “I’m done waiting, Minjoo.” She whispered, and Minjoo felt the hair all over her skin stand up.

 

After that, Yujin leaned away, grinning at the stunned Minjoo. She then explained. “I’ve been thinking about it. You’re the one who wanted to pursue me first even though I’m already so sure about you. I told you I just need time to process it and we’re good to go.” She softly murmured but then, there was a flash of panic in her eyes.

 

“B-But of course, if you still think we’re moving too fast then I’m willing to match your pace—”

 

“It’s not my pace we’re following, Yujin. It’s yours that I’m matching.” Minjoo cut her off immediately, her eyes were hard but at the same time — full of love.

 

Yujin kept mum, just staring down at Minjoo. Minjoo stared back, and wow, Yujin was even more beautiful than the night and the moon itself. She was glowing and her eyes...

 

“You’re really done waiting, hmm? After all, it’s been more than twenty years…” Minjoo whispered, there was a hint of playful tone in a sentence full of passion. “Then so be it.” Minjoo then added, taking a deep breath.

 

Minjoo mustered all of the courage she could gather, feeling her veins thump in adrenaline. Her heart was fluttering rapidly, and there were butterflies in her stomach — and there were flowers blooming in her chest, a rainbow-y feeling spreading through her whole existence.

 

“Ahn Yujin. Please be my woman...”

 

As if time stopped, and a new world formed where only Yujin and Minjoo could enter and exist.

 

Yujin smiled at her lover, a very wide, happy smile. She waited long enough.

 

“I’m already your woman, Minjoo. From the very beginning, and you know that.” Yujin answered but the grin on her face couldn’t be erased. Minjoo suppressed a snort, what a great way to ruin the moment, Ahn!

 

Yujin tugged Minjoo closer, wrapping her both arms around her waist while Minjoo coiled her arms around Yujin’s nape, they were just inches apart and couldn’t stop grinning to each other. A reality. It was real. Minjoo reminded herself…

 

Minjoo hummed, “Want to be my wife then?” She playfully suggested, her brow was arched suggestively.

 

Yujin smirked, inching a little bit closer, tightening her hold. “For someone who was hesitating earlier, you’re moving a little bit too fast, are we?” She teased back.

 

Minjoo just smiled before pulling away from Yujin, leaving the latter a little bit confused but then — the older woman suddenly reached for her coat, shakily taking out something; and it was a small velvet box.

 

“I’m serious though,” Minjoo whispered breathlessly, “I want to seal the deal. You’re not the only one who’s tired of waiting, Yujin-ah.”

 

It was Yujin’s turn to be stunned as she watched Minjoo open the box, and there was a silver ring inside the box, glimmering — as if it was winking at Yujin. Her heart literally stopped beating.

 

“I bought it just last week. I stumbled upon a jewelry shop and fell in love with it at first sight. I decided that if we’re ever going to be official, I’m going to ask you to be my wife in an instant. We tiptoed around each other for decades, Yujin-ah…” Minjoo explained, her breath was shaky and nervous as hell, her hand was obviously shaking as she presented the ring to Yujin.

 

Finally, she looked at Yujin fiercely, and bravely. No hint of cowardice but only flames of passionate love and determination in her honey orbs.

 

“Yujin, let’s stop waiting and start counting to our own ‘forever’.”

 

Yujin crashed her lips on Minjoo’s pair as the answer, unable to resist anymore — Minjoo almost dropped the ring but she gripped on it tight, as she held Yujin closer to her, kissing her with the same fervour.

 

The both of them were feeling too much. Everything was too much.

 

But the only thing that mattered that time was Yujin for Minjoo, and Minjoo for Yujin. Nothing else. They didn’t care anymore if people would see them or if they would see their own selves kissing each other in the news tomorrow.

 

They suffered enough. They waited long enough. They loved enough.

 

***

 

September 01, 2039

 

 

“Yujin,”

 

Yujin stirred, humming with a hoarse voice. She felt really groggy. Hmm. It was still early to wake up.

 

“Yujin… wake up.”

 

The woman just whined, tugging the comforter close to her body, melting into the bed again. She felt something shaking her shoulder though, making her groan, huffing sleepily.

 

“Baby… wake up. Come on.”

 

Okay, that made Yujin finally flutter her eyes open. That familiar voice...

 

When the woman finally opened her eyes, she was greeted by the most beautiful woman to ever exist in this world. The said beautiful woman was smiling at her, hovering on top of her, trying her best to wake her up gently as she could.

 

“Finally. Get up sleepyhead. I made some coffee for us,” Minjoo softly whispered, then finally disappeared from Yujin’s hazy view which made the latter sit up, following Minjoo with her eyes.

 

She stretched her stiff joints and tensed muscles, letting out a soft sigh after getting some relief. She combed her short bob hair before standing up from the bed, silently walking to the bathroom to brush her teeth.

 

Hmm. Shorter hair was really convenient and easy to maintain. She was not regretting that she got the same haircut as Minjoo after countless pestering from the latter.

 

After brushing her teeth and washing her face, she left the bathroom and went to the other side where Minjoo was.

 

Yujin couldn’t even help but to grin as she entered the balcony, spotting Minjoo leaning against the railing, letting the gentle cool wind hit her — with her short hair dancing along the wind. Her heart warmed, melting like ice cream out under a hot sunny day, and flowers bloomed in the deepest part of her heart, crawling through her chest.

 

It felt surreal, it was surreal. Being able to wake up like this, and witness such beautiful scenery. God, Ahn Yujin was the luckiest woman. Bless.

 

And the way Minjoo tucked the stray strand hair behind her earlobe and then shyly glanced at her, smiling bashfully? My lord. It was the view that Yujin would never get tired of seeing. The effect that it had when Yujin had first seen it… up until now, it was the same, only getting stronger.

 

“Come here, birthday girl,” Minjoo called happily with a sweet grin, gesturing for her to come closer, looking absolutely good in her white robe wrapped around her lithe body.

 

If this was a dream then Yujin didn’t want to wake up.

 

But it wasn’t, It was the reality. However, Yujin was still having a hard time sinking the happenings, and often, she would think she was hallucinating. Minjoo was there to prove her wrong… everything wasn’t only a fragment of her imagination.

 

Yujin walked closer with a sleepy smile on her lips, instantly wrapping her arm around Minjoo, snuggling to her groggily. She felt the woman press a kiss on the side of her head.

 

“Happy birthday, my love,”

 

Yujin was fully awake, in a good mood. And it was real! Not a dream.

 

Minjoo’s warmth, they were true and not unreal. The way the older woman held her tight, Yujin could perfectly feel it. The way their skin touched and burned, it was all familiar and real. Yujin could feel Minjoo perfectly.

 

“Thank you, babe.” Yujin responded, detaching herself from Minjoo then planted a kiss on her forehead.

 

Minjoo grinned at her, taking one of the mugs that was resting on the table then handed it to Yujin before taking hers. The both of them sipped on their hot coffee as the gentle morning breeze hit them, it was barely six so it was still very chill and dim.

 

This scenario… Yujin was already getting used to it.

 

It had been four months since Yujin and Minjoo decided to move in together in the former’s penthouse-like apartment, and they were the happiest.

 

Ever since she and Minjoo became official on the latter’s birthday. It was pretty eventful for the both of them — everything was just full of joy and happiness.

 

The both of them were bashful around each other in the early days until they got used to it, especially Yujin who had a little bit of a hard time sinking in the truth. She wasn’t too used to it.

 

Holding Minjoo casually, kissing Minjoo daily, exchanging sweet words with her, doing some couple stuff with her… it was a dream come true. After all, Yujin stayed and silently loved Minjoo from the side for decades so being able to do these things with her was so overwhelming that sometimes, Yujin needed a moment to process it.

 

The things Yujin used to dream of, to think of, to imagine — it all came into reality.

 

Oh, Yujin from the IZ*ONE days would freak out if she ever knew that this would be her future. If Yujin could meet her past self then she would actually tell for her to move on since she wouldn’t want her younger self to suffer like that but she knew, deep inside Yujin, she knew that even so — Ahn Yujin would still willingly wait and love Minjoo like a fool until eternity. So, she would just tell her to be patient.

 

“Do you have a gift? For me?” Yujin decided to ask after taking a sip from her coffee. And Minjoo just smiled against the rim of the glass.

 

“Awwe, myself,” The older woman teased and Yujin just giggled. “Disappointed?” added her.

 

Yujin shook her head, taking another sip before placing the mug back to the table then tugged Minjoo closer to her. “Not one bit. You, indeed, are enough. Your presence, your kisses. It’s more than enough gift, Minjoo. I’m already the luckiest that you’re my girlfriend slash fiancee, soon to be wife.” said the younger woman cheekily.

 

Minjoo just laughed at her, playfully hitting her lover’s arm with blush on her cheeks. “Hmm. Smoothtalker,” She mumbled, leaning closer to Yujin, snaking her arms around her shoulders. “I love you.” Minjoo whispered against her lips before kissing her.

 

Yujin smiled against the kiss, “I love you too.”

 

The lovers passionately kissed each other, holding each other tight, afraid to let go. Yujin’s heart warmed…

 

However, before the kiss could even go deeper, there were small knocks on the door so they immediately pulled apart — turning to the direction of the door, instantly smiling when they realized the person who must be knocking. Only this certain one would knock so lightly and quietly like that for exactly three times.

 

Minjoo composed herself. “Yujin-ie, come in. We’re awake.”

 

The door flung open, revealing little Yujin with a bright grin on her face. The girl then closed the door before running to them. Minjoo crouched and spread her arms wide open, and her daughter hugged her tightly, pressing a kiss on her mommy’s cheek.

 

“Good morning, mommy!” little Yujin chirped, pulling away from the hug. And Minjoo smiled at her, tilting her head a bit. Yujin stayed at the side, waiting for little Yujin to greet her.

 

And when the kid turned around, her smile even got bigger, literally jumping onto Yujin but the latter just caught her with a small laugh — carrying her. Yujin was attacked by the kid’s kisses all over her face that made her and Minjoo giggle.

 

“And to you too! Good morning and happiest birthday to the best auntie,” little Yujin paused, taking a deep breath after rapidly speaking like that.

 

“And mother, ever!”

 

Yujin laughed, her heart fluttering at what she had heard, pressing a kiss on little Yujin’s nose. “Where’s my gift, Jinie-yah~?” She teased.

 

Little Yujin just smiled at her. “It’s a secret, and Yujin-ie won’t give it until later to you,” Her grin brightened. “Mother.” Yujin felt that there were butterflies in her stomach.

 

Minjoo and Yujin never really taught or asked the kid to call Yujin her ‘mother’. Especially since the kid knew that she was her ‘auntie’ only but little Yujin insisted on calling her as one when Minjoo revealed that they were dating and going to move in with her favorite auntie.

 

Little Yujin was accepting, even delighted to know that she would live together with Yujin. And more happy to know that they were together, even saying stuff like, “I like you both together.” and “We all make each other happy. So, we’re the happiest family!” — and to be honest, even the couple was surprised that the kid was like this… but it was a good thing, little Yujin understood and was supportive.

 

They were family now, and so, the kid insisted that she would call her auntie, mother instead. At first, Yujin was a little bit wary and awkward being called like that but soon, she slowly got used to it and was more heartwarming… whenever her daughter would call her like that, there was just an indescribable feeling. A good one. She never felt this happy.

 

Family…

 

With Minjoo and Yujin-ie.

 

God, Yujin was living the dream…

 

Yujin smiled at the both of them, feeling a little bit emotional all of a sudden. She bit her lower lip, tugging Minjoo closer to her. “Let’s watch the sunrise together and after that, I’ll cook you guys some delicious breakfast before we go to Lotte World!” She beamed, still carrying the little one in her arms.

 

Minjoo giggled, wrapping her arm around Yujin’s waist while the latter draped her arm across the older woman’s shoulders.

 

The three of them huddled closer as they watched the sunrise, happily chatting about their plans for later.

 

Yujin thought that her birthdays would be forever cursed. But now, look at her, spending it with Minjoo and little Yujin like this.

 

And Yujin was content. So satisfied. And so happy.

 

Same for Minjoo. They really suffered for long enough and now, they were happily together. The real suffering ended.

 

They finally got the ending that they deserved. The both of them hiddenly wanted to. This was their deepest desire. And they got it, living the life… it was late but hey, better late than never, yes?

 

This wasn’t the start but it wasn’t the end either.

 

Instead of counting the years of their suffering, now; the both of them were happily counting to their own forever.

 

To forever.

 

***

 

A/N: and now that’s a wrap. yall i feel a little bit emotional writing this chapter cuz damn, as the writer of that devastating fic titled ten years and counting - i feel happy for my characters who suffered. thanks to gray, jinjoo endgame happened!

 

sorry if it looks rushed. i have a word count limit (i actually passed that limit lmfao sorry gray!) but i hope this one will suffice. writing this story + tyac is seriously a rollercoaster. but all i know is that i enjoyed it, so much. and hopefully, you did too. :]

 

im quite satisfied with their ending and now, for those who can read this. well, i guess you guys can finally sleep at peace, yes? TYAC jinjoo got their happiest ending yasss

 

thank you everyone for reading, for also witnessing yujin and minjoo’s story.

 

sorry for making yall cry, angry, annoyed, unsatisfied, and happy HAHAHAHAHAHA with that, stay safe as always~~

 

***

 

Cookie:

 

August 22, 2026

 

“I’m so exhausted but it’s still you,”

 

“I wish I could take you, run you away, be happy with you.”

 

“But I can’t…”

 

“I’m really sorry for everything. I’m so sorry.”

 

“Min night. I hope you’re dreaming of something nice, baby,”

 

And there was silence.

 

Few moments later, Yujin fluttered her eyes open, and was greeted by dimness. She groggily sat up from her bed, rubbing her droopy eyes then slid her fingers through her locks.

 

She then remembered.

 

Yujin smiled bitterly to herself, “Did I just dream of Minjoo-unnie again?” She whispered to the wind. “Sheesh. I must be going insane. She doesn’t love me back.” added the woman with a huff, settling back to her bed — eyeing the ceiling, recalling her ‘dream’; it was just Minjoo crying about her again, confessing her love and everything. This wasn’t the first time she dreamt of this kind of thing.

 

Seriously, it felt real that Yujin’s heart would ache but the latter knew better…

 

“How I wish it was all real…” Yujin murmured to the darkness, slowly closing her eyes, succumbing into sleep.

 

All of those words, unbeknownst to Yujin, were all whispered by Minjoo herself.

 

***