A letter for a woman named, Bae Irene

Last March in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I hope this letter reaches you,

 

                         Last March I went to Jeju to unwind, to feel the breeze and calm of the place. It has been a while since I went there and I can still clearly remember the time I landed there for the very first time. It felt so surreal--that finally I got to step onto a place that I always see on the news and television.

 

                         It was a thrilling time for me, ‘cause for the first time I travelled alone to a place I have always wanted to go. There was no one to consider aside from what I wanted. Everything depended solely on my decisions which scared me a little. But I managed it well, I guess… I roamed the island to visit the places I’ve been wanting to witness with my own eyes.

 

                         Three days into the trip and I found a lady, a woman standing by the shore. She was wearing a leather jacket, feeling the wind while her eyes were closed. She was so gorgeous that I was stoned the moment she took a turn around. With a camera on hand, I captured the sight as soon as she shot a smile. I swore to God, I have never thought that I would encounter someone so pleasantly wonderful in my third day at the place.

 

                         We spent the following days together, visiting different spots and tasting different dishes they could offer. You toured me around, looking like you were someone who is so used to the place--someone who was always around. It was nice of you to lead me through the following days without even knowing my name. As for me, I only knew you by the name ‘Irene’ and I didn’t dare to ask for more details. It was enough, and “It was just for the rest of the week, we wouldn’t see each other again”, I thought to myself.

 

                         But I was wrong, you showed up in the airport the same time I did. We sat beside each other in the plane, and even went to the same apartment building. So I asked, “You’re from here?”. You nodded and smiled, saying “I just moved here, took a two weeks vacation in Jeju before going back”. I was unsure as to why I felt that pint of joy when I heard your answer. I have never been so excited to know my neighbor more, which was odd for me. Normally, I wouldn’t care but with you, I was so eager. What was the meaning behind ‘Irene’? Was that your name for real? Where did you come from? Why did I only meet you now? There were questions in my head, waiting to be answered.

 

                         You woke up curiosity in me, challenging my ability to connect more with people who are not in the same field as I--you were an aspiring doctor, and I was an art student. We hold different things to save people from being taken away from life--I was holding paint brushes to create a masterpiece while you were holding your scalpel to take them away from pain or even death.

 

                         We would sit together inside the cafe, study different books and write different thoughts but we were alike--for me, we were. 

 

                         The cold nights weren’t so cold anymore the moment you taught me things about warmth, that it isn’t only the creativity or imagination that works to bring life to what was once out of life. You told me I needed to use my heart, and put my emotions to what I do. So I did, I closed my eyes and let my heart dictate what kind of piece would be drawn out of my own feelings, my emotions, and my mindless thoughts.

 

                         It was beautiful.

 

                         What stored in my heart was something astonishingly beautiful, an image of you was formed through the of my brushes, and the contrast of colors expressed how unique you can be yet still it would turn out perfectly fine because it was you… no other questions asked.

 

                         I thanked Jeju for letting me meet you. I thanked the universe for making us meet right there and then. The shore that collided our path in so many different ways.

 

           

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter