Taepup and Mindoggo

Taepup and Mindoggo

Taepup is a curious, friendly, little canine. His owner finally took the time out of his busy schedule to take him to the dog park. This is the first time he sees lots of dogs and humans. Dogs running around, big and small, having fun with each other.

Taepup wanders around, coming over to a group of dogs playing together. Hey, can I play?

But the dogs didn't notice or couldn't care, Taepup was even rejected without trying.

Taepup's ears drooped, sad. Dejected, he was about to go back to his owner when he sees a big dog sleeping under the tree. The dog is all alone, maybe he wants to play! Taepup sniffs around, heading towards the resting dog.

Hi! Who are you? Do you want to play with me? Taepup smiles, wagging his tail energetically in front of the dog.

The dog turns his head to the other side, not answering.

Don't ignore me! Taepup's snout nudges against the big dog's head. Come on!

The dog opens its eyes and rose to its full height. The dog is much bigger than Taepup, maybe about five times it's size. Almost as tall as a human. Most dogs would be whimpering, running away with their tail behind their legs.

But not Taepup whose looking up at the dog with wide starry eyes, tail wagging excitedly. You're so big!

The dog tilts his head, assessing this strange, little pup. You're not afraid of me?

No? Why would I? Taepup tilts his head in the opposite direction copying the big dog.

Most dogs are scared of me. The dog nods at the direction of the pack of dogs playing at the far side of the park. Even some humans are scared of me, except for my master.

They don't know what they're missing. Taepup ran around the dog's body, bouncing excitedly. Why should I be scared just because you are big. When I grow up, I'm going to be just as big. Maybe even bigger like a wolf!

The big dog huffs and lies back down on his stomach. Good luck with that. And closes his eyes, intending to nap.

Taepup pouts, his paw nudging the dog's snout, not wanting the dog to ignore him. It's true. I'm going to grow big and strong just like my owner or my name isn't Taeminnie.

This got the dog to open his eyes. Is your name Taeminnie?

Yup. Taepup stands straight and proud to his full height. Sadly his full height isn't taller than the dog even when lying down. But it doesn't matter to Taepup. That's what my owner calls me. What's your name?

My name is Minho. The big dog answers.

Eh? But that's not a cute name. Taepup pouts.

Would you rather I have one of those cutesy names like Bingbing or Coco? The big dog, now Mindoggo gruffs. They would fit a small dog like you but not me.

Minho is a human name. Taepup has his his little paw petting Mindoggo's snout. Much to his chagrin, Mindoggo allows it. Sometimes my owner calls me a good boy. Let's think of nickname for you... what about MinMin?

The name has Mindoggo sneeze, making Taepup startle back before bouncing around excited. You like the name! Yay!

Wait I didn't -

MinMin! MinMin! Mini MinMin!

Mindoggo suddenly starts Taepup as though he was grooming him, drenching the pup's fluffy fur from the tip of his ears to the end of his tail with his saliva. It fulfills his purpose of silencing Taepup, effectively shocking him. It would be bad for his reputation if the other dogs hear that inane nickname.

Mindoggo looks down on the silent pup, satisfied of his work. Perhaps the pup will leave him alone and give him some peace and quiet -

You me! Taepup bounces up and down again, his body wiggling with excitement. You like me! You like me! You're my friend now!

Huh?!

Don't worry I'll return the favor! Taepup wiggles his , jumping on top of Mindoggo's head. He's not heavy and his small frame allows him to fit and snuggle between Mindoggo's ears. It'll take me awhile and I'll probably get thirsty halfway through. But I will do it. It will be easier when I grow up big and strong, just like you.

Mindoggo looks up at Taepup resting on top of his head curiously before getting up slowly, letting the Taepup slide down to the ground gently. Don't bother. Leaving the pup behind.

Are we playing now? Yay! Wait for meeeee~ Taepup runs to catch up.

Unknowingly Mindoggo was swept up by Taepup's energy to play. The big dog and little pup spent the day chasing each other around in the dog park, all in their little world. At one point Taepup is seen riding on top of Mindoggo like a stead, causing a lot of humans around to whip out their phones to capture the sight. On the far side of the park a certain pup owner is having a freak out, close to bolting for his pup, only to have a certain dog owner holding him back while taking his own picture.

After a long day of playing Taepup and Mindoggo returns to their spot under the tree in the shade to rest. Taepup could barely be seen if it weren't for his fluffy fur standing out against Mindoggo's massive body.

Taepup yawns with his mouth wide open, his tongue curls as he snuggles up against Mindoggo. I have fun today. Can we do this again?

Mindoggo looks down at the tired pup snuggling under him. He doesn't have the heart to say it's not up to them, but their owners. They might not see each other again after this.

Instead Mindoggo nuzzles on top of Taepup, settling down in a comfortable position. En.

And the two canines drift off to a quiet nap, basking in the warmth of each other's presence.

 


 

“Wake up, Taeminnie. It's time to go home now.”

“Minho-ya, wake up! I don't want to drag your heavy body back home again.”

At the mention of the dogs' names, the two dog owners look at each other surprised. Coincidentally they had just called each other's name.

Minho clears his throat. “Your name is Taeminnie?”

“No, it's Taemin,” Taemin tilts his head, assessing Minho. “Your name is Minho?”

Minho nods. “You have the same name as my dog.”

“You as well,” Taemin giggles. “From an angle, you actually look like my dog.”

“Oh?” Minho glances at Taemin, pretending to look uninterested. “You look nothing like my dog. Not cute enough.”

Taemin pouts before turning his attention to the two dogs sleeping. “Minho, get up! Don't make me come over there.”

Mindoggo opens one eye to give Taemin an amused look at his supposed threat before closing his eye intending to go to sleep. This causes Taemin to pout even further, kicking at the grass frustrated. Both Minho counterparts, human and canine, so similar to each other.

“I warned you!” Taemin declares, dropping his weight on Mindoggo. But because Mindoggo is a big dog, Taemin's weight means nothing to him. Taemin pushes and pull Mindoggo to get up but the big dog won't budge.

Exhausted, Taemin lies down on top of Mindoggo. There was some wiggling coming from Mindoggo's underbelly causing Taemin to sit up. From the mass of fur pops out Taepup, staring right at Taemin. For a moment both Taemin counterparts, human and canine, didn't move. It wasn't until Taepup barks in greeting, Taemin right in his face. It causes Taemin to laugh, given permission to give Taepup lots of petting.

“Looks like Taeminnie likes you.”

Taemin looks up at Minho standing there. Looking at Minho causes Taemin to burst out laughing because it seems Minho and Mindoggo are in a staring contest, none of them are backing down. Both have a serious look on their face, facing off against each other.

“Looks like Minho is judging you,” Taemin gets up with Taepup cradled in his arms. “So weird to call you Minho when my own dog's name is also Minho. I should call you something else.” Taemin has a contemplated look, thinking of a name while smoothing out Taepup's fur. “I know! What if I call you... MinMin?”

The name causes both Minhos to break from their staring contest and give Taemin a deadpanned look. Even Taepup twists his body to look up at Taemin with a happy face and a wagging tail. It was all the indication Taemin needed that everyone agrees with the name.

“Then it's settled,” Taemin nods. “Minho the human is now hence forth MinMin.”

Minho frowns, glancing at Mindoggo and turning back to Taemin. “Why can't you change your dog's name?”

“Because Minho is his name,” Taemin says like it's the most obvious thing. “It says so right on his collar.”

Minho sighs, sharing a look with Mindoggo 'can you believe this guy?' Mindoggo gets up, shaking his whole body, going over to Minho. He nudges against Minho's leg, pushing him in Taemin's direction.

At that Minho looks surprise at the dog's gesture to get him closer to his owner. Looking up he sees Taemin cradling Taepup carefully in his arms, idly playing with Taepup's little toe beans. A soft smile graces his lips at the sight, quickly sliding off embarrassed when Taemin meets his gaze.

Clearing his throat, Minho looks a bit shy. “It seems my dog likes your dog. I never seen my dog so happy with yours.”

“Mine too,” Taemin gives Taepup back to his owner's waiting arms. “My dog has trouble making friends.”

“Same,” Minho looks down at Taepup in his arms, looking up at his owner with sad puppy dog eyes that would melt his heart. He looks up at Taemin, watching him put the harness on Mindoggo, ready to go.

“Would you like to have coffee with me?” Minho blurts out causing Taemin to pause. Words poured out without stopping. “There's this outdoor cafe... their coffee is really good. They have an outdoor lawn and allow dogs to play there as long as the dog owners clean up after themselves. Their menus change based on the season and have cream puff special. I was wondering maybe-”

“Okay.”

Taemin giggles when he sees Minho's nervous reaction. It's so cute. “Coffee sounds great,” he says with a soft smile. “I look forward to it.”

Minho visibly relaxes, sharing a soft smile with Taemin. With that, the two humans and dogs left the dog park with new friends and a brighter day, earning a bond that might turn into something more.


 

“You're joking about calling me MinMin, right?”

“Hmmm... maybe after the third or fourth date. For now how about I call you... Minho-hyung?”