end

fathom limb reaching fathom object

Happenstance is when you meet someone by chance- an accident that you were somewhere at the right time and at the right moment. Happenstance is when you’re under a situation you never panned out happening but it's already there, staring you right in the face, daring you to do something about it. Happenstance is pure coincidence.

 

With all things considered, Wendy could've taken a different time to watch a movie or ran after the bus when she was almost three steps in. She could've gone out without rummaging her closet for a coat that she was half-sure she left at Joy's, perhaps, the spare seconds lost would’ve saved her from falling behind schedule. But then again, she was never quite good with planning or managing time or anything that requires steps to follow through.

 

It's a lost cause for her, already feeling the dread of walking back to her dorm as the cold air of November wraps her up in a vice grip- warmth almost leaving her embrace as a gust of wind rushes in again, the chill settling around her chest going down to the tips of her fingers. She bites back a frustrated huff, closing and opening her palms instead, trying to fight off the rigidness that she's forced to welcome. Winter’s almost here, she mutters, as the red-orange hue that used to paint the background of their university tapers off infront of her eyes.


A faint red light greets Wendy when she opens her dorm room, the string tangled in under the bed sheets, the legs of a chair and then around the study table, until it falls past straight to her feet. The string moves as lithe arms wrap around her, the familiar scent of lavander invading her senses.

 

“I'm guessing you missed the bus.”

 

Wendy can practically feel the smug smile off the girl, can feel the ‘i told you so’ coming in next, so she moves around the embrace until she faces Irene, leans down and kisses her softly, “Well, I missed you.”

 

Stalling, it's what she does best. Wendy sweeps off potential disaster by feigning innocence. Her friends tell her she's a chaotic mess, of course she disagrees, sugarcoats her inability to calculate things precisely as charge to experience mishaps and that she's at least chaotic good.

 

Irene rolls her eyes but kisses her back nonetheless, “Well since you're here,” she gently pushes Wendy inside, the door making a light click as it shuts, “You're watching romcom movies with me.”


They don't finish the movie, as always. And Irene complains in panting breath.

Wendy looks up and halts her movements, a ghost of a smile painting her pretty face, “Do you want me to stop? Because-”

A hand shoots up, reaching for anything to grab, “I swear to god if you stop- oh my god” the threat dies down into a moan, Irene tangles her free hand on Wendy’s hair, roughly pulling when the younger girl hits a sensitive spot.

 

Wendy traces the blue line on Irene's wrist, smiles when the girl shudders and curls up closer to her. She ignores the string that passes through her and outside their room. Ignores the lie that they permanently tattooed on their wrist.

Happenstance is almost like destiny.

 

-----

 

Compatibility by definition is being able to exist together without trouble or conflict. It’s the capacity for two systems to work together without having to be altered or modified. Capability to have shared features or qualities in order to be cohesive.

 

When we're around strangers, we limit ourselves and only show them a part of who we are, gauge their reactions until we reach the same level of who they wanted us to be- expected social roles to define it simply. We put on different masks for different people.

 

We divide ourselves for different sets of people- of what kind of audience we'd like to be surrounded with when we talk about work and aspirations; hobbies like sports, knitting or even being in a book club; mundane things that's not even interesting but small talks can get you somewhere right? We stretch ourselves to assimilate, trying to find a common ground to work with.

Wendy would refer to herself as a distinguished gay. She owns at least eight plaid shirts and hypothetically, knows how to drive. She's the one that reaches for condiments on high cupboards and opens jars. That's why it hits her like a whiplash when Irene lets out a scandalized gasp when she asked What's astrology? She's not even sure how they spiralled down to such conversation.

 

“Oh like space gays?”

“No, that's astronomy.”

“Then why are we talking about which window the moon and the sun rises or planets and red gatorades?”

Oh my god this is what I get for talking to a Pisces.”

 

“I-  what does that even have to do with— you know what nevermind.”


Wendy flops back down to their bed causing some of the tarot cards to fall off the edge. She’s not even gonna ask where she got it from or where she learned about them; the older girl randomly picking up hobbies like she’s doing groceries. She blows off her side fringe, gaze lazily travelling back to Irene who's now sporting a pout. She reaches out, patting the space beside her, shimmies a little bit to the side until her arm touches the wall. And with practiced ease, Irene cuddles up next to her, hand reaching around her waist pulling her closer.

 

Wendy turns to her side and takes Irene's hand in hers, intertwining them before giving it a gentle squeeze. “I'm sorry. Give me like a week or two. I'll research about this astrology stuff. Then we can give it another try.”

Irene looks up and breaks into an easy smile.

Compatibility is also a process, a willingness to make things work and finding new ways to adapt.

 

-----

 

According to the Multiverse Theory, there are multitudes of universes, each formed entirely randomly. There could be a region of space where the exact events that's happening in our planet plays identically. A universe that is exactly like ours but have fundamentally different physical laws. A universe where every possibilities could happen - from start to finish and back again in an alternate timeline. There are infinites of universes, each having their own versions of realities.

 

"Who knows maybe she's my soulmate." Nayeon cheekily smiles at Jennie and winks.

It's an everyday occurrence- Nayeon, overly preppy about a potential soulmate, tells their group about it. Detailed to the brim with flying hand gestures added to the mix. It's fun really, a trial-and-error sort of fun. Nayeon is at best a risk taker and doesn’t cower from forming new relationships but at worst, leaves a trail of broken hearts and tear-stained cheeks.

 

Nayeon tells them when it’s over, when it doesn’t work out. I’m pretty sure this is for the best. Not everyone gets to meet their soulmate this early, right? Crosses out soulmate marks she doesn’t have.

Wendy watches as the girl dramatically slams her hand to some snarky reply Jennie probably said. She watches as Nayeon’s red string moves, her gaze following the faint glowing trail from across the room, stopping at Jeongyeon's desk. And Wendy wonders why two people who made it a mission to actively avoid each other became soulmates.


“Maybe they're star-crossed lovers.”

“Wendy, you and Eunbi were star-crossed lovers.”

There's not a hint of jealousy nor ill feelings when Irene casually slips in a detail Wendy vaguely recalls sharing. Maybe she was drunk at that time or maybe she thought the evening light dancing before Irene's eyes made her look so beautiful, she just had to share her sob story.

She thinks about Eunbi. About dark hair against porcelain skin, a sunny smile and bright eyes that light up everytime she sees her. A playful personality that’s so in contrast with how she carried herself, it made almost everyone fall to their knees; Eunbi was devastatingly beautiful afterall.

Wendy remembers telling Irene trivial things about the girl. She tells her about missed classes and hidden coffee shops. She tells her about disaster school plays and arcade games. She slapped the male lead for kissing her, then we went to the arcade to let off some steam. She tells her about petty fights and make up rooftop lunch dates.

But some memories are hers alone to keep- held deep in the pocket of a universe she created and locked away. Wendy doesn’t tell her Eunbi cried when the timer on her wrist counted down to zero. She doesn't tell her about a lost love.

Nothing really happened because feelings were a “taboo”. It’s better this way don't you think? Wendy remembers Eunbi smiling at her, eyes holding on to sadness and regret. At least, we didn't have to go through a painful breakup. Nothing started so there was nothing to end. She guesses her time with Eunbi was suspended.

 

Wendy looks back at Irene, bites back, We're star-crossed lovers too you know, and instead, presses a kiss to her forehead. “Hmm maybe Nayeon and Jeongyeon are just dumb panicked gays.”


This was her version of reality.

 

-----

 

Serendipity is akin to possibilities. Happy chances that give way to multitude of probabilities no matter how obscure they are. Serendipity gives you hope of a potential outcome. Serendipity is akin to happenstance. It's almost like destiny.

"Oh then why does no color flicker from her?" Six-year old Wendy tilts her head, tongue poking out of as she tries to understand why the man was flushed, almost radiating a bright red hue. The color increasing in intensity when the girl he was with smiles at him.

 

Her mom shushes her, dragging her down to an aisle where nobody could hear them. Wendy’s mom tells her not to speak about her ‘special gift’.

 

“Fate!” her mom beams at her like she just hit the jackpot. “Leave it to fate.”

Irene is openly affectionate, she doesn't shy away from telling Wendy she loves her, doesn't shy away from grabbing a handful in public too (it got them in trouble on some occasions).

Irene is just so wholesome… well most of the time anyway. Wendy thinks she probably corrupted her when they started the whole friends with benefits turned to girlfriends thing. Their group of friends would definitely agree with her on that one.

Irene is honest. She tells Wendy what she feels about her, and it sometimes leaves her like a fish out of water but she manages, or at least she thinks she does. She tries to be honest, tries not to blush too much or vehemently be in denial after telling her something sweet or thoughtful. Irene tells her it's okay to take baby steps and that she likes all sides of her no matter what. Didn’t I say I’ll give you all the love that you deserve. Wendy only rolls her eyes because being complimented and taking it without laughing nervously is so out of her comfort zone, bashfulness was never a good look on her.

Irene traces the pink line on her wrist. “We have forever anyway.”

And Wendy holds it in, she doesn't speak about the elephant in the room, reigns down the fear of it slowly leaving her lips.

Her eyes follow Irene’s every move, finding solace at the fact that they’re together and happy, eventhough it's only for a little while. The older girl takes her hand and ties a red string around her pinky, the old couple beside their table smiles at the gesture, tells them about finding true love and growing old together.

“You do realize our table is in the middle of the diner, right?”

“And?” Irene’s tone is teasing, challenging Wendy to some kind of tug of war.

Wendy fights off a grin, “And you're stuck with me forever I guess.” She takes the other end of the string and ties it to Irene's pinky. “Good thing I tolerate you.”

“You know,” an amused smile plays on Irene's lips, “You could just say I love you like a normal person.”

Serendipity is akin to fate.

 

-----

 

When you find something that tethers you down, you cling to it- to the safety and stillness of it all; to the uncertainty of not knowing if you can keep it with you forever. So you start to reach for fathom possibilities of taking risks and making right choices. But you're never prepared for the consequences, never been good at handling those.

 

Wendy puts on her watch and rolls down her left sleeve, makes sure to cover the words etched on her skin.

never leave me

 

-end-