Studio

Common thread
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ahead of releasing his first mini album Kibum’s definitely no stranger to long sessions of dance practice and late nights in the recording studio, all squeezed into an already fairly tight schedule of filming for various variety shows and other comeback-related tv appearances. But none of it is new and he’s not one to stray away from working diligently. 

 

While his workaholic nature tends to make him bulletproof to the impact of a busy schedule it’s more often the people close to him taking a large blow. 

 

Particularly one person. 

 

Someone he’s known so long it’s difficult to recall his life before their first encounter. Who was just a boy back then but had grown into the most beautiful man he’s ever laid eyes on. 

 

Someone he’s always had such a soft spot for and loved so dearly, even if it was in the form of a close friendship long before it evolved into an even graver bond. 

 

Someone who had eventually become his entire world— and who he so proudly wanted to show off to the world, but couldn’t. 

 

Because as bandmates, love between them wouldn’t be anything but a controversial headline, there to tear them apart only to be forgotten soon after. 

 

So their tightly tied bond is kept behind closed doors, with constant need for caution, where meetings so easily become scarce amid a tight schedule despite their common profession. 

 

 

 

 

 

“How should I express this part of the lyrics?” 

 

Amidst a conversation between Kibum and the record producer about how to evaluate his title track the thick door to the studio opens in a haste manner. Kibum is the first to notice. However, the clearly aggravated image of his bandmate— and entire world— is not what he expects to encounter as he spins around in his chair. 

 

“Taemin?” The mix of surprise and confusion is clearly evident in his tone. “What are you doing here?” 

 

At the simple question, the person in question is suddenly fuming, eyes narrowing on Kibum in disbelief.

 

That’s when it suddenly dawns on the latter— they had made plans. 

 

“!” Kibum exclaims but judging by the displeasure in Taemin’s normally sparkling orbs an apology is already long overdue. “Recording is taking a lot longer than I intended. I was just about to call and let you know I wouldn’t be able to make it to dinner in time.” 

 

A scoff.

 

Kibum quickly feels the oncoming guilt since he realizes then, that the younger isn’t just angry with him. He’s hurt. And it’s a much more prone motive for an argument. 

 

“So you were going to call now? Almost two hours after we were supposed to meet?” Taemin questions, eyebrow arched and voice tainted with sarcasm. “I can’t believe you. If you are busy you can just tell me that. Instead I have to find out that you’re still stuck here through Euisoo hyung because you couldn’t even bother to send me a ing text message!?” 

 

Taemin’s loud voice fills the otherwise silent room, making Kibum realize they are both making a scene. While most of the people they work closely with are more or less aware of their relationship, he’s still filled with shame for the lack of professionalism of it inflicting the working environment like this. 

 

“Let’s talk outside, alright?” he says quickly, narrowing his eyes at the younger in hopes that he will shut his mouth and follow the suggestion. 

 

Thankfully, he does. 

 

Once they are alone in the hall outside Kibum is the first one to speak while Taemin leans against the wall with his arms crossed across his chest in a nonchalant fashion. 

 

“I’m really sorry about dinner. I get that you’re angry but you can’t just show up like this and make a fuss when it doesn’t just affect me but everyone else in that room as well.”

 

“Really? That’s all you have to say after standing me up?” 

 

“I just apologized, what more do you want me to say?” 

 

“When I couldn’t get hold of you I was seriously worried something bad had happened—” 

 

How the sentence starts and how it’s clear Taemin had gone through some state of panic emphasizes the already existing guilt in Kibum’s chest. His own guard is then dropped in an instant to welcome the reproval he sees coming his way. 

 

“—but now it’s more than clear that it’s just because you’re an ignorant .” 

 

Kibum’s brows naturally raise ever so slightly, more in amusement than anything else.

 

“?”

 

“Yes.” Taemin retorts. “Why? Should I come up with a more fitting insult? Because I can think of so many others.”

 

“No, I think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter