Part Two (last part)

Soulmates: A SooSo Two-shot

Soeun woke up the following morning. She had thought that yesterday was a dream and she was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t. Soojin was asleep with her face only inches from her own. A finger gently touched the slumbering girl’s cheek, lightly brushing against it. She then clung tightly to her.

A guardian angel, I now have one. Soeun thought. She was still overwhelmed by the sheer kindness Soojin’s family had shown her. Mrs. Lee was a pleasant woman, she resembles Soojin a lot. She was a kind and understanding lady who listened intently to her experiences and assured her that those days were long gone. Mr. Lee was also kind and assured her as well that no one else was going to hurt her.

For a while, she had honestly wondered what she had done to deserve this family. They were so kind and welcoming even though she was a total stranger.

“Please don’t be a dream. Please.” Soeun whispered as she gently pressed Soojin’s soft cheek.

“Mmm? I’m very much real Soeun-ah.” Soojin whispered as she stared.

Touching her forehead to Soeun’s she gently pinched her cheeks. It was her turn to wrap her arms around Soeun. She was a tall and lanky lady and she stood over a few inches taller than Soojin.

“Soeun-aaah…you’re like a model. You’re quite tall.” Soojin said, half awake.

“Eh? Soojin-ah, I’m not that pretty.” Soeun shyly said.

“Oh nonsense Soeun-ah! You’re the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen!” Soojin exclaimed.

Soeun smiled at this, it was the first time she was ever complimented like that. Soojin was a bundle of joy to be around with. She also felt really secure when she was with her. Snuggling close under the crook of Soojin’s neck, she muttered thanks to her and hugged her even more tighter.

They had hugged for some more before they got up. Soojin didn’t have school today so she was free to hang around the house with Soeun. Glancing at the clock, she saw it was already 8am. Her dad was probably still at the station and her mom had already went to university. So it was just her and Soeun.

“Soeun-ah! What’s her name?” Soojin asked, referring to the small doll in her hands.

“Minkyeong.” Soeun said. She extended the doll to Soojin who gingerly took it in her hands.

“I found her when I was six…or seven. She was in a bag by the dumpster areas over…there.” Soeun explained. The there was referring to her old home. It was clear that she still had untoward memories and trauma. Soojin understood what she meant and gave her an assuring tap on the shoulder.

“Whatchu wanna eat?” Soojin said in a merry tone, shifting the atmosphere to a more pleasant one.

“Anything.” Soeun meekly said.

They went to the kitchen at the back of the house. The area had wide windows and they were surprised by the vista that they saw outside. Both of them were surprised to see the lush green grasses and the sky. The puffy white clouds and the golden aura of the sun shining down on everything they could see.

“Its so…green.” Both of them uttered in awe as they took in the view.

“Soojin-ah look.” Soeun said, pointing up towards the clouds.

The sky blue sky gave a very comforting vibe to the scene. It was picture perfect. Soojin ran back to get her camera. Coming back, she peered out the window and took a couple of shots. Soeun looked on, curious at what Soojin was doing and what she was holding in her hands.

“Wanna try?” Soojin offered, handing her the camera.

She took the camera in her hands ever so careful, afraid she might break it.

“Its a camera!” Soojin said smiling.

“What’s it do?”

“Well, it takes pictures of things. You use it to capture memories, especially those that are important.”

Soojin then thought Soeun how to use it. Instructing her to point it at the view outside and to peek at the viewfinder. She explained that what you see inside the viewfinder will be what the picture will be and if she’s satisfied with what she sees to push the shutter button above. She had successfully guided Soeun on how to take a picture. She then showed what the picture will be on the camera’s screen.

Soeun was amazed by the camera’s wonders. Thinking, she then pointed the camera towards Soojin and grabbed a quick photo of her.

“You told me to take important photos.” Soeun innocently said with a small grin.

Soojin blushed at her gesture. It was a really sweet and innocent gesture that sent her heart racing. Smiling really suited Soeun, she could remember telling herself before snapping out of it.

“Wanna take a picture together?”

Soeun nodded and Soojin got the camera back from her and set it on timer mode. Setting it down on the kitchen counter, she went to Soeun side and they posed for a photo. Soeun chose to rest her head on Soojin’s shoulder. Soojin then put her hand on her head, brushing her hair affectionately.

“Ah! Yes we’ve gotta eat!” Soojin said with a chuckle after they had took the photo. Finally remembering why they went out in the first place. Finally stopping herself from staring at Soeun, she went and fired up the stove. Soeun offered to help as best as she can.

“Its okay, just rest for a while.” Soojin told her, insisting that she was alright.

Soojin washed a couple cups’ worth of rice and set it on the rice cooker. Next, she got two eggs and a couple strips of bacon from the fridge. Soaking the bacon in water to speed up its defreezing, she then got a skillet and fried the eggs. Meanwhile, Soeun was sitting on the kitchen stool, twiddling her thumbs.

“The bacon is very…red isn’t it Soeun-ah?” Soojin said, commenting on the bacon meat’s crimson hue.

“Hey, yeah indeed it is.” Soeun said, approaching Soojin and seeing the meat defrosting itself on a bowl.

Soojin was busy preparing the bacon for frying when suddenly, she smelt something was burning.

“Aigoo… the eggs!” Soojin exclaimed rushing to the skillet.

Scraping the burnt eggs off the skillet. She then went to toss them into the waste bin. Soojin then got out two more eggs off the freezer and went to fry them, being more careful this time.

Soeun was surprised when Soojin threw the burnt eggs away. She insisted that she was okay with it and she was used to it. Apparently, her deceased step father made her eat the food that she accidentally burns.

“Oh, Soeun-ah, I wouldn’t let my soulmate eat burnt food.” Soojin said. It was too late for her to realize the slip of her tongue.

“Eh? So-soulmate? What’s that?” Soeun asked puzzled.

“Ahh…its someone who’d be with you for life.” Soojin explained.

“Oh, that sounds nice. I’d love that.” Soeun said, flashing her beautiful smile once more.

Soojin felt butterflies in her stomach when she saw that smile. She couldn’t help but swoon at her beauty. Purely effortless, all Soeun had to do was smile and she’d be melting into a puddle.

“Smiling really suits you.” Soojin said as she transferred the cooked eggs onto a plate. Next up was the bacon.

“I’ll try to smile even more.”

Soeun volunteered to take the rice out after it was cooked while Soojin finished cooking. After that, they’d finally got to eat their breakfast. The two had a grand time as they ate, joking around and sharing stories of things they are fond of.

The house phone rang and Soojin excused herself to pick it up. It was her dad, calling from the station.

“Hey baby, I’ve left some money at the living room. If its alright with you, take Soeun-ah out. She needs the relaxation after everything she’s been through. I’m still at the station working on a case. I’ll call your mobile if anything comes up.” Chief Lee told her daughter.

“No problem dad, I’d love to take her out.”

Putting the phone down, she resumed eating with Soeun who was waiting for her to come back so she could eat with her. Once done, Soojin got the plates and went to wash them. Soeun remained sitting as she was told by Soojin that its okay and she should rest.

As Soojin was washing, she felt arms wrap around her and a head rest down on top of hers.

“Thank you, for being here soulmate.” Soeun said, gently hugging her.

Soojin could faint at this very moment. Soeun smells like her rose scented soap and the gentle tickle of her breathing sent her butterflies in multiple loop the loops.

“You’re very much welcome Soeun-ah. You don’t have to really call me soulmate though.”

“What should I call you then?”

“Ohh…honey, jagiya, baby would be fine.” Soojin stated with an obvious giddy tone affixed to her voice.

“Oh. Okay honey.”

After the dishes, they went to hangout at the living room. Soojin got the money her dad had left her. They browsed the TV channels eager to see how her favorite shows looked in color. They were entwined in each other’s arms. The two had a very strong sense of safety and comfort in each other.

“Wanna go out Soeun-ah?”

“Will it be okay?”

“Of course! I got you.”

They then went back to their room to change outfits. Soojin suggested that Soeun wear her sky blue blouse and the white shorts that they got yesterday. She agreed and Soeun went into the bathroom to change while Soojin picked out an outfit for herself. She eventually settled on a pink blouse and wore a similar pair of white shorts. They would match well together, Soojin thought as she then went inside after Soeun got out.

“You’re really pretty honey.” Soeun complimented Soojin as she got out of the bathroom.

Blushing, she thanked her Soeun as they got out of the room after Soojin checked out her bag, making sure that everything was all there. Checking the house, making sure that all windows and doors were closed and locked. The two then went out the front door, carefully locking both the door and gate behind them. Soojin had opted to walk for a bit so that Soeun could familiarize herself with the neighborhood.

“Over there’s a bakery, they make good cinnamon rolls.” Soojin commented as they passed by Mr. Kim’s bakery half a block later.

“There’s a 7-11 over there at the corner, if you’d want a snack I can come with over there.” Soojin commented once more as they neared the corner.

Soeun was listening attentively as Soojin told her about the neighborhood. The couple was still enamored by the sudden onset of colors that they are now witnessing. While walking, Soeun had realized that Soojin lived in a very pleasant neighborhood. The kids had waved hello to them when they passed by, even the elders were kind. She had a very nice life and a loving family.

Suddenly Soeun had realized…

What did she have?

She had none of those. She couldn’t offer Soojin anything in exchange for her affection.

The sudden realization had dampened her mood a bit, but the happiness she was feeling overwhelmed them as they walked through.

Suddenly, she felt fingers slide in between hers. Looking to her right, she saw Soojin’s smiling face. Smiling back, she squeezed her hands and held on tight as they walked.

“Here’s the bus stop, so if you’re gonna go somewhere wait at places like these. You could also take cabs but they’re few in this part of town. There’s a lotta cabs in downtown though.”

Soeun nodded and they sat, waiting for a bus. Eventually, one arrived and they got on.

“We’re gonna go at a park. Its not far from here. You’ll like it there. It has lots of trees and a pretty view of the sky.”

“That sounds pretty. I’d love to go there.”

They then sat in a brief moment of silence. There was a lack of audible thoughts but it was clear that their connection was still speaking volumes inside. Hands held tight, Soeun gently leant Soojin’s head on her shoulder to give her a comfortable view out the window as the bus sped on.

“My turn to take care of you.” Soeun whispered as Soojin’s head lay resting on her shoulder.

“Mmm hmm… thank you honey.” Soojin replied with an affectionate squeeze.

Arriving at the park, they strolled slowly on the gravel path. They were walking when Soojin saw one of her classmates, Jihoon. He was colorblind, as Soojin once was.

“Soojin-ah!” Jihoon greeted, seeing them first.

Soojin was surprised to see him down at the park. She returned the greeting and exchanged words for a bit. Seeing Soeun, he was curious who she was.

“She’s Park Soeun, my girlfriend. Soeun-ah, he’s Im Jihoon one of my classmates.”

The two exchanged slightly awkward greetings as they were massively caught off guard at what Soojin said. They had talked a bit more before they parted ways. The couple found a park bench nearby and sat down to admire the view.

“Why’d you say that?” Soeun asked, still flustered.

“You’re my girlfriend honey. I thought we were clear on that.” Soojin replied, feigning a pouty face as she talked.

“Yeah, but aren’t you worried about what they’ll think?”

“What would they think?”

“That we’re both girls, that we’re worlds apart, that I’m out of your league. I’m just-“

“Soeun-ah, you’re Park Soeun. You’re not just anybody darling. Don’t let anyone make you feel that way.”

“Soojin-ah, I can’t even read.” Soeun confessed with twinkles of tears in her eyes.

“I’ll teach you. That’s not a problem, dad said he was also working on getting you home schooled so you could catch up with me.” Soojin said comfortingly, pulling her in for a hug.

“You gave color to my world. Nobody else could do that.” Soojin added once more, planting a kiss on Soeun’s forehead.

Soeun’s worry vanished at that moment. Soojin was proud having her and that meant a lot to her. Someone who loves her and believes in her. Looking into her partner’s eyes, all she could see was love.

Pabo Soeun-ah, she thought to herself for having thoughts like that and she pulled her in for a tight hug. They had looked around the scenery for a while, admiring the tall, lush emerald trees and the flying pigeons above. They had resumed walking down towards the fountain at the park’s center.

“Soojin-ah, we look like those.” Soeun said laughing as she pointed at the cotton candy being spooled on a stick.

“Where? Oh yeah! Hahahaha we’re like cotton candy!”

They went towards the cotton candy vendor and got two pink and blue cotton candies. Giggling, they ran towards the park benches. The candies really matched the color of their shirts. Soeun took a bite out of hers and she was surprised with the highly sweet taste.

“This is really sweet!” Soeun exclaimed.

As the pair continued on eating, they looked around. Looking at the families playing around with their kids, some were lying down on picnic blankets. It was a wholesome sight.

“Those look nice.” Soeun said, gesturing towards the picnic area.

“Yeah, I’ll go tell mom and dad later. We can have one when they’re not on duty.”

Soojin asked Soeun where did she want to go next. She wanted to go somewhere with a lot of drawings. Luckily, Soojin knew about an art exhibit nearby. They decided to walk since it was only a block away, and to savor the moment.

They were walking on the sidewalks and Soojin was on the outside edge. Soeun instinctively switched places with her so Soojin would be on the inside edge, away from the cars. Placing her arm over Soojin’s shoulder, they continued on walking.

The art exhibit was located in one of the function halls nearby. Entering, there was a sizeable crowd inside browsing the various pieces on display. There was a variety of paintings inside ranging from abstract works to landscape or scenic paintings to portraits.

“Oh, that one’s beautiful.” Soeun said and brought Soojin to the painting. It was a seaside portrait and the artist really did a good job of highlighting the blue seawater and the sky blue hues in the sky above.

“How’s the exhibit going for you two ladies?” A gentle and deep voice came from behind them.

The ladies turned around and saw a blonde woman accompanied by a darker haired one. They both had pleasant expressions on their faces. The dark haired woman was eating garlic bread sticks as she surveyed the crowd before looking back towards them.

“We’re enjoying it so much. Thank you.” Soeun answered politely followed by Soojin saying that she admires how the painting was made so masterfully.

“Oh, that. Its Hyunjin’s work. She loves to paint sceneries.” The blonde woman revealed and gestured towards her companion who by now had finished the bread stick.

“Hi! I’m Kim Hyunjin! Nice to meet you! Thanks so much for liking my work!” She energetically thanked the couple.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m Jeon Heejin. The other artist of this exhibit. Hyunjin is my partner in both work and life. I specialize in portraits. Everything else is Hyunjin’s work.” The blonde woman introduced herself. There was a hint of pride in her voice when she mentioned Hyunjin and her works.

“Nice to meet you Heejin-ssi and Hyunjin-ssi. I’m Lee Soojin this is Park Soeun. She’s my version of your Hyunjin.” Soojin said with an enchanting smile.

The answer was met with a knowing smile from the two ladies. Heejin suddenly had an idea.

“Ah! I know the perfect painting for you two! Come come!” Heejin said as she ushered them both to the exhibit’s center.

At the center, there was a painting adorned with a couple of spotlights shining on a framed portrait. The painting depicts two ladies. One was hugging the other from behind with both their heads looking towards each other as if they were leaning in for a kiss.

For a moment, the couple looked quite familiar. As Soojin looked on, scrutinizing their features she realized. Tapping Soeun excitedly, she realized that the women in the painting were Heejin and Hyunjin themselves.

“Indeed. This painting is my first wedding anniversary gift to her.” Heejin said, gesturing towards Hyunjin who was munching on yet another bread stick.

“Please excuse her, she loves bread.” Heejin said with a chuckle.

The two couples had talked more with each other. They were amazed and inspired by the both of them as Soeun and Soojin were aspiring painters. They enjoyed their time and learned a lot from the two.

“Thank you for coming today. It was a pleasure to meet the two of you, such a lovely couple. Best wishes to the both of you!” Heejin said as they walked towards the entrance of the hall.

“But before you go, I’d like the two of you to have this.” Heejin said as she handed them a rectangular black box.

“These are the brushes I use, it helped me a lot when I first started out. May it help the both of you as it had helped me.” Heejin added as she handed the box to a stunned Soojin.

“Tha-thank you! We’ll take care of it well!” Soojin said bowing deeply. Gobsmacked, Soeun followed suit.

“Bye for now ladies, I hope we’ll meet again someday. Who knows, maybe it’ll be us as your guests in your very own exhibit.” Hyunjin said with a wink.

The couples had parted ways as the exhibit drew to a close. Going down the steps, Soojin and Soeun walked hand-in-hand back to the bus stop.

“Let’s go paint honey.” Soojin said with a radiant smile.

“I’ll make a portrait of us one day.” Soeun replied.

As the couple got on the bus and sped off home, there was a hope, a fire burning in their hearts. Now that they can see colors, they vowed to make the best creations showcasing their love for one another. Come what may, they will face any challenge that comes.

And they will do so together.