Part One

Soulmates: A SooSo Two-shot

A schoolgirl was walking home from school. The uniform that she wore indicated she was a junior high school student. This girl was Lee Soojin, a black haired young lady studying at one of the all-girls high school in Seoul. For this girl, color is a luxury. Soojin was born color blind, seeing the world in a greyscale like hue. Everything was black and white for her, interspersed with an occasional gray hue. Her condition warranted that she go to a state-sponsored special education institution where she was being educated like a normal student, but with her disability taken into consideration with special instructional methods and materials.

As she was walking, Soojin suddenly felt a sharp pain well up in her right arm around her shoulder area. Cradling her arm, she brushed it off and made for home with a bit of haste in her pace. A few moments after, another sharp well of pain erupted, this time it was on her forearm. She was a bit alarmed about the sudden and inexplicable onsets of pain she feels from time to time. She had already went to almost every doctor in the country in a search for the reason behind this phenomena.

As she walked, she saw the sky in its sheer pristine whiteness with a big sphere in the middle. This is what Soojin presumed to be the sun, she wondered how it truly looked. She loves the day as it was filled with white, lighter hues as opposed to the dark hued night.

This pain wasn’t always this intense. Sometimes, especially during her childhood, Soojin would suddenly feel pain across her cheek or on her earlobes, as if her ears were being pinched or her cheek slapped. This would be minimal in comparison to the intense feel that she was feeling lately. Bruises, welts and dark patches soon surface on her skin even though she takes the utmost care not to fall or injure herself. A conundrum that even the best doctors are confounded by. The recent onset of bruises on her arms caused her to wear long-sleeved sweaters or shirts to avoid the barrage of questions that would befall upon her should anyone see the bruises. Honestly, Soojin had no idea what to say to anyone if they asked, she couldn’t simply say that these bruises come out of nowhere now could she?

Soojin had arrived home and hugged her parents, careful not to press her right arm too hard against any surface as it might cause her to wince in pain. She went to her room after to change into new clothes and to take a look at her arm.

Taking off her sweater revealed a long, swelling bruise on her right forearm. It had swelled and turned into a dark shade of purple. Gently laying a finger on it sent small shocks of pain. Rolling up her sleeve revealed another gash, similar to the one on her forearm. The slightest touch sends out stinging jolts of pain. She had decided to leave it be for a while to rest and hopefully disappear after she had applied cream on it. Changing into a tank top, she had went on to study her day’s lessons.

Ealier, on the other side of the city, in Seoul’s poorer neighborhoods lay a run down apartment. The paint lining its walls had peeled and cracked due to neglect and the passage of time. Drunkards and bystanders litter its streets and corners looking for a free drink or someone to coerce them into buying them a round. Fistfights, unruly noise and general ruckus were the order of the day in this part of town. A brief moment of respite only ensues when the daily patrol of police squad cars drive through the neighborhood. This causes the morally ill folk to scurry into the nearest opening to escape the officers’ sight.

Inside the run down apartment, screams for help could be heard, intermingled with screams of anger and rage. A teenage girl was being beaten by an older man with a plank of wood. It was the young lady’s screams that echoed throughout the unit, leaking onto the surrounding area. Curious old women peeked out of their doors and windows. However, it was all that they did, look around. After confirming that it was indeed coming from the miser’s apartment they went back to what they were doing.

“Aish, its that girl again.”

“Yeah, I wonder what she did to mess up again and anger the old man.”

“She and her useless eyes. Can you believe it? She only sees in black and white, like those old Chaplin movies.”

“I’m surprised the old man hasn’t thrown her out the street yet.”

“Oh one of these days for sure.”

These were some of the musings of these old gossip mongers, sowers of discord with their malignant tongues as they hung their laundry outside the apartment balconies. They continued on with their malicious banter as several thumps of wood could be heard emanating from the apartment.

“Appa! Please stop! I’m sorry! I didn’t know!” The pitiful cries of a young lady rang throughout the apartment. She was scurrying back, under the table desperately seeking a minute of protection.

“You stupid kid! I shouldn’t have picked you up from the streets!” A portly old man bellowed in anger.

The man threw the table away, exposing the girl. In desperation, she raised her right arm in defense against the plank of wood rapidly descending upon her. Closing her eyes, she braced for impact.

It came down. Hard.

She could feel a sharp well of pain shoot up like magma as the plank hit her. Bone and muscle cried in agony at  the damage it took. The plank was mercilessly raised once more and brought down on her, this time aimed a bit higher. It struck her upper arm and thankfully, the plank shattered, breaking in two. This meant that the beating finished earlier than usual. Cradling her right arm, she fell to her side as the man stormed in anger.

Soeun cried her heart out amidst the pain. Controlled and quiet sobbing. Barely audible whimpers and gasps emanated from her. Gently touching her arm, she sobbed more. Questioning the powers that be what she had done to deserve this life. This greyscale world was punishment enough for her, why does she have to endure this torment.

As her sobbing ceased, she listened for footsteps or sounds of movement. Hearing none, she gathered her strength to slowly and gently crawl to her room. Well it was a closet for cleaning supplies, but that’s where she sleeps. Shutting the door, she felt around for her little doll in darkness. Feeling the familiar cloth lump, she hugged her close to her chest as she sobbed once more lulling herself into slumber. The doll was an ornament to a kid’s bag she found near the dumpsters one day her step father kicked her out for messing up the rice she cooked. She had been her inseperable companion since then, an anchor, something that was truly hers.

The following day was a new day for Soojin. It was a day she was fairly excited for, it was her school’s festival and the booths and attractions were something she looked forward to. Despite the scenery being shades of white and black, she deeply enjoys the numerous attractions the festival brings itself with each year. She had finished eating breakfast and she waited for her father who was a police detective to finish getting ready for work.

“Soojinnie, lets go.” Her father emerged from her parents’ room. They had went into her father’s unmarked cruiser and off they went to school.

Soeun was shaken awake to the sound of the front door being kicked open. It was her step father. The smell of alcohol was prevalent in the air. That smell sent waves of fear onto Soeun, she knew that when her father sees her she would be severely beaten. Dinner in the form of bread crumbs and week old crackers would have to wait. She bunched up protectively, covering herself with a dusty blanket, she prayed to anyone listening that her step father wouldn’t open the closet.

“Where’s that kid?! Stupid, useless blind kid.” She heard him shout at nothing before sitting down on the dining char a few meters from her. She choked back tears at his painful words.

“Such a heavy burden. I wish she’d just die or something, can’t even wash clothes properly.”

Hearing this broke her already broken heart. For a moment, she was surprised that her heart still had room for breaking despite the abuse that she had been under this man for nearly a decade and a half.

The unmarked, black cruiser smoothly stopped at the school gate. Soojin got out and waved her father off before going inside. She could already hear the festive music and excited chatter of her fellow schoolmates.

The school was laden with various booths and tents hosting assorted spectacles and attractions for all. Soojin was attracted to the archery booth where a stuffed animal could be chosen if you hit all the corresponding targets for the animal. Paying the attendant 1,000 Won, she was given a bow and 5 arrows. Looking on to the target range, she was intrigued by the cute image of the seal. It’s cute eyes greatly appeal to her along with its chubby, huggable body.

Aiming at the farthest seal target first, she fired and knocked it down successfully. Taking aim and firing once more held the same result. She continued firing, carefully aiming at each target as she really wanted the plushie. She easily knocked the last target down with ease and the attendant handed her her prize, a plump baby seal plushie. Soojin thanked the attendant and went on to roam around festival.

Soojin went to a waffle booth and got a raspberry waffle. She observed the square grid liked patterns the waffle has, along with the dark, grayish hue of the raspberry filling. She continued to munch on while observing her fellow students have fun. There was a Braille books section by the main school building had lots of books her blind schoolmates could read. A free hearing aid station was also there for her deaf classmates. It was an amazing day. Unfortunately, there was none for her condition. Medicine has only solved the conundrum regarding color blindedness in a particular color and not blindess in multiple colors.

The festival went on smoothly, there was even a science expo at the science building about technology and innovations that could help the school’s differently-abled student body. She roamed around some more munching on different snacks she bought.

There was this tent-like booth that had caught her attention. The tent had very ornate decorations filled with various mystical symbols and inscriptions. There was an elderly woman sitting on a chair in the middle of the tent. She had a gypsy like get up and an assortment of occult paraphernalia on the table in front of her. Curious, Soojin approached. The old lady bid her come near.

“Take a seat child, would you like to have your fortune told?” The old soothsayer asked.

Soojin agreed to have her fortune told. She’d held her hand out, palm up as the soothsayer instructed her.

“My child, you will save someone today. You will give them hope. Hope that they sorely need. When the sunset nears, go to the nearest bridge from here. From there, you will find the person I am talking about.”

Soojin was mystified about the fortune. If this was true then indeed someone’s life is in danger. She decided to ask her father to drive her to the nearest bridge from school later. She’d tell him that she’d like a photo of the sunset for her to draw later. No way would he agree to going somewhere just because a soothsayer told her so, with him being all rational and logical.

“Oh, halmeoni I have one more question if its okay.”

“Go on my child, I sense something has been disturbing you even before you have set foot in here.”

Soojin then went on to explain that ever since she was about seven, there has been mysterious bruises appearing on her body at the most mystifying conditions. She wasn’t even doing anything when a bruise would suddenly appear on her shoulder or a powerful force slapping her across the cheek. She also showed the soothsayer her latest bruise, albeit it slowly disappearing and losing its prominent lump that it had yesterday.

Upon seeing this, the soothsayer performed a ritual that involved her setting fire to a few herbs and putting it in a censer. She then twirled the censer above Soojin’s head. After that, she got out a basic of water and a candle. Lighting the candle and letting its wax drip to the water, the wax slowly resembled a long line of wax forming a heart.

“Just as I had thought.” The soothsayer triumphantly remarked.

“You have the mark of the soulmate child…”

“What does that mean?” Soojin asked ahead, curious and excited. Finally, there was an explanation to her strange condition. It might be unconventional, but Soojin was willing to take it.

“The marks that appear, the pain that you feel are things your soulmate experiences. A very alarming case I might add as your soulmate is in distress.”

This alarmed Soojin and asked how she could help her soulmate.

“First things first child, the bridge.” The soothsayer cryptically hinted.

Nodding in understanding, Soojin stood up and paid the soothsayer, leaving a sizeable tip in thanks.

The rest of the festival was spent with worried inkling in the back of her head. Soojin sat and held her baby seal close to her. Finally, the time for dismissal came as the festivities died down. Sitting at the school’s main gate benches, she spotted her father’s sedan roll up the curb.

“Appa, could we go to the bridge.” Soojin said indicating the nearest bridge a quarter mile down the road. She told him she wanted to take the sunset’s photo so she could draw it when they get home. He agreed and off they went to the bridge.

Soojin got out of the car and got her digital camera ready, she pretended to look for a good spot to take photos from. She was actually looking for anyone in distress. She walked to and fro the bridge a couple of times. Tired, she thought the soothsayer was just bluffing and that it was all a big joke.

Until

Soojin’s eyes laid upon a lady wearing dirty clothes, clutching a little doll. She was climbing on top of the railing. Soojin’s heart skipped a beat. She was going to jump. Soeun after hearing what her step father earlier, had decided to end life. Bringing her doll with her, she hoped she would accompany her to the afterlife to be her friend there as well.

Two things happened at that very moment.

A surge of emotion coursed through every fiber of her being as a burst of pink blasted into her irises.

Strange hues of color then began to bloom into her vision.

Soojin could see color!

“YAH! UNNIE!!!” Soojin yelled as she ran to the lady in panic.

The lady turned in surprise to the yell and lost her footing. Luckily, Soojin was able to grab her hand and she didn’t fall completely. But her grip was losing, thinking quickly, Soojin yelled for her father.

All Soeun could see as she was dangling precariously over the roaring body of water below was the worried face of a girl with tears in her eyes. The lady was beautiful with long black hair and twinkling eyes. There was another thing bothering her however.

Soeun could see colors aside from black and white! Soeun could now see! She was so happy and astonished at all the varying hues she could see from the lady holding tight onto her. Her doll was tightly bunched up in her pocket so she was sure she’d be safe.

The feeling of despair was gone.

In place of it was hope and fear.

She didn’t want to die anymore. She wanted to live!

Soeun’s thoughts at that moment was, please let me live! Please don’t let go!

A couple of moments later Soeun could hear rapid movements coming towards her and a man emerged beside her. He looked a lot like the girl beside him, he also had a worried expression on him and he frantically grabbed her arm. A strong yet gentle grip. Slowly, they pulled her up and laid her gently on the concrete ground.

The girl’s arms wrapped around her, worried and relieved she was safe. Soeun began sobbing in realization, she had been given a second chance in life by this beautiful stranger. Hugging back she wept incessantly as she did so. The tall man stood beside them looking at her daughter and her newfound friend.

After they had calmed down, the man who introduced himself as Chief Inspector Lee had brought them to his car. He asked some questions regarding the girls condition, her address, her identity. They had found out that her name was Park Soeun and that she lived somewhere near the tenement areas. She was born color blind and all that she could see was black and white hues. This had caught Chief Lee’s attention and she shared that Soojin, her daughter also had the same condition.

Soeun had shared the condition that she felt back home. How she was abused and beaten for the slightest mistake brought on upon her disability. Hearing this, Chief Lee’s grip on the steering wheel visibly tightened. How could someone abuse an innocent girl like her almost driving her to kill herself? Soeun looked beside her to see Soojin’s smiling face placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. They had assured her that she was now safe and her step father would get nowhere near her anymore. Chief had radioed his station filing a case about domestic abuse going on at Soeun’s residence. He had also stated that the victim was with his daughter who had rescued her from a suicide attempt just moments before. The station dispatch had reported that two cruisers will be sent to the address to accompany the abuser to the precinct for questioning.

Chief Lee then started the vehicle and drove up somewhere for them to eat, Soeun looked famished beneath her dirty clothing. After that, they’d find some new clothes for her.

As her father drove the cruiser, she couldn’t help but recall the last words the soothsayer told her. Before she had left the tent, the soothsayer spoke up once more. Imparting one last cryptic clue.

“You are color blind child yes?”

This shocked Soojin and she immediately turned around and answered in the affirmative.

“Indeed. You will see a burst of color when you meet your soulmate. That’s when you’ll know you found the right person.”

Those words rang around her head as her father pulled up to a nearby Subway outlet. Opening the door for his child and Soeun, he gently guided them inside. Soojin helped Soeun sit down. Accidentally, she touched  Soeun’s right arm a bit hard and she winced in pain. Apologizing, Soojin asked what had happened to her arm.

“He…hit me the other day.” Soeun said in a muted tone.

Soojin thought that things couldn’t get any more clear for her, but it did. Soeun had bruises on her right arm on the exact location where her bruises were. It even had the exact shape.

“Beautiful.” Soeun mumbled, looking around the place.

“What is?” Soojin asked.

“The…colors. I don’t know what they’re called but I can now see colors aside from white or black.” Soeun said as she looked at the Subway logo mounted on the wall.

Curious, Soojin took out her phone and she disabled the color blind mode on it. She scrolled around until she found a photo with a color resembling the Subway logo. She found a photo of the sun rising above the Sejong farmlands. Sliding the phone to Soeun, she asked if these colors were the same as what she saw. Nodding her head, Soeun confirmed that the colors looked close to what she sees. She went on the Internet to find more colors and their names.

Soojin felt a bucket of ice water pour down her head as the soothsayer’s words echoed one more time.

“You will see a burst of color when you meet your soulmate. That’s when you’ll know you found the right person.”

Sitting in front of her was her soulmate. This battered, yet beautiful soul was the one destined for her. She felt a strange connection to her and she placed her hand on top of Soeun’s. Smiling as she looked into the fear-stricken of her soulmate. Gently squeezing her hand, she felt Soeun reciprocate the gesture.

So Soojin watched.

Watched the fear melt away.

Until nothing was left, but a feeling of something warm and fuzzy.

Was it love?

Soojin thinks it could be indeed love.

At that moment, her father came back carrying a tray laden with drinks and roast beef subs. Placing the tray down in front of them, he served each girl and then sat down beside his daughter.

“Go on dear eat.” He gently coddled Soeun who was still processing what was going on.

She gently picked the sandwich up. Its aroma greatly appealed to her and she bit down. At that moment, there was a storm of flavors raging inside . It was something vastly different from the stale bread and week old leftovers that she eats when her step father was away.

They then headed to a nearby department store to get some new clothes for Soeun. As they drove on, her father was talking to someone on the CB radio mounted on the car’s front. Soojin and Soeun was seated in the back. Apparently, her father hadn’t noticed it turned red.

“Appa! The light’s red!” Soojin alarmingly told her dad who immediately slammed on the breaks.

“Soojin-ah?” Chief Lee turned around, puzzled. How had she known the light was red?

“Ap-Appa… I can see colors now.” Soojin told her father with tears in her eyes.

There was a brief shout of joy as the two hugged in celebration. Soojin’s eyes can see color now.

“Soeun-ah can too appa!” Soojin shared the news to her father.

He hugged her daughter’s friend as well, with Soojin joining in for a hug. Soeun was completely puzzled at the gesture but she still tried to return the gesture nonetheless.

The light turned green and they drove on once more. Reaching the department store, they had went in to look for a store that would suit Soeun. Soojin saw a Gap store and that’s where they went, Soeun following on while taking in the colossal interior of the mall. Never had she before seen a place that big.

Inside the store, Soojin had picked out clothes for Soeun with her father looking on. Frankly, the veteran officer had no idea about girls’ fashion and he left the picking to his daughter.

They had went around the store and Soojin picking up outfits for Soeun. She followed Soojin wordlessly, still taking in the sights.

“Hey, Soeun-ah what do you think of this?” Soojin asked as she showed her a sky blue blouse.

The pleasant blue hue had greatly appealed to Soeun and she said that she liked it. Soojin took it and slung it over her arm. Browsing for more items, she had got Soeun a couple of shirts, pants and shorts enough. As they lined up to pay, Soeun had scooted closer to her. She looped her arm around Soojin’s.

“Thank you for your kindness.” She shyly said.

Soojin told her she was very much welcome. They had paid for the clothes and they roamed around the mall for a while. Chief Lee was due in the station later tonight so they had time to kill before then, sitting down in an ice cream parlor Soojin had bought them all treats. She had brought Soeun along to pick out what she wanted.

“Ah… I think that’s nice Soojinnie.” Soeun said pointing towards the blue ice cream, It turned out to be blueberry ice cream and Soojin got her a cup of it. She herself picked strawberry ice cream and her father coffee crumble. They had joked that she expected it to be called pinkberry in reference to the earlier blueberry ice cream.

Chief Lee’s phone rang as the girls were eyeing the array of ice cream on display. Picking it up, it turned out to be his partner, Detective Jeon. He reported that the troopers that went to the address came under attack by the step father who was wielding a butcher knife. Before they knocked, the troopers reported that they had heard the man curse around inside the residence threatening to kill the victim. Hearing this, Chief Lee was alarmed at what nearly happened. If they had let Soeun go then and there, she would be killed nonetheless.

Detective Jeon went on to explain that the officers came under attack as the door was opened. They were immediately charged by the suspect, declaring that he’d rather die than go back to jail before slashing an officer in the arm. Luckily, the gash wasn’t too deep and he was immediately dragged to safety and treated by his partner as the remaining officers took on the man. He attempted to kill the nearest officer before they were forced to fire upon the man in the leg. Shrugging of the wound, he still charged, limping and slashing desperately hoping to injure or kill.

This caused the remaining two officers to shoot the man twice in the chest before he dropped dead.

The chief’s deputy has also revealed that the step father was a former convict incarcerated due to drug and murder charges. He took on Soeun when he had killed his family, apparently feeling guilt at leaving a baby alone, the detective surmised with a disbelieving scoff.

At that, Soeun was finally free. No one was gonna hurt her.

“Jeon, where would the victim go?” He asked his partner.

“Depends boss, if she still has living relatives, we’ll track them down. If not, she’s off to the foster system.”

“I’ll ask if she wants to stay with us. If she agrees, I’ll tell you later. Have the necessary papers ready.” Lee told his partner before ending the call, seeing the girls going back.

Hefting the tray back to her waiting father, they had a snack before they went back to the car to go home. As they were eating. Chief Lee asked Soeun a question.

“Soeun-ah, would you like to stay with us?” He asked Soeun whose eyes widened in surprise.

“You’ll be safe with us Soeun-ah, we can paint together, explore new things.” Soojin prodded, hoping she’d say yes.

An excited nod sealed the deal. Chief would then immediately process the foster care papers once he arrived at the station. Soojin hugged Soeun, squealing in excitement.

“Well girls, lets get some paint before we go back okay?” He said as they left the ice cream parlor.

They then went to a bookstore and got some canvas and paint, a lot of paint in all shades and hues along with a couple of brushes. After that, they had come home together. Going inside they meet Mrs. Lee, Soojin’s mother who was a University professor.

“Oh, hello there! Who do we have here?” Professor Lee said after seeing Soeun.

“Eomma, we rescued her earlier. She’s going through a tough time. Dad and I decided to help her out.”

“She’ll be staying with us dear.” Chief Lee confirmed for Soojin.

Mrs. Lee took a great liking to Soeun who was a good person. Immediately, the two had developed a bond as she asked Soeun about various things. She made sure to make Soeun comfortable, she wanted to make her feel like she was really part of the family.

“Ah, Soeun-ah we don’t have any spare rooms at the moment. The guest room is being used as my husband’s office. Will it be okay with you if you’d share rooms with Soojin?” Mrs. Lee said.

“Ah…that’s okay ma’am. I’m used to sleeping in the broom closet actually. Thank you.” Soeun confessed, surprised at she’ll be sleeping on a bed. It was the first time in her life as far as she can remember.

The couple looked at each other worried, Mrs. Lee put her hand on Soeun’s and assured her that she was part of this family as much as Soojin is.

“And please, call me eomma not ma’am. Okay darling?”

With that, Soojin suggested that she take a bath and they’d try her new clothes out after. She accompanied Soeun upstairs to her room’s bathroom. She led Soeun into the bathroom while she looked for a spare towel for her.

“Soo… Soojin-ah?” She heard Soeun call.

Going into the bathroom, she saw Soeun stare blankly at the tub. Her head was looking around for something inside.

“What is it Soeun-ah?”

“Where’s the pail?”

Puzzled, Soojin thought that Soeun uses a pail and dipper to take a bath. So she shown Soeun how to use her bath tub. Opening the tap to on the left to let out hot water and the one on the right for cold water. She had also realized that the taps had a red ‘H’ and a blue ‘C’ on the left and right taps to indicate the water temperature. Soojin also shown how to use the shower head above, detaching it so she could spray water wherever she liked. The soap and shampoo containers were also shown to Soeun who looked on puzzled but she was attentive. Soeun excused herself to go out went out to gently remove her doll out of her jean pocket, placing her gently on the bed. Going back inside, she thanked Soojin for the help as she exited the bathroom.

Soeun was bathing when Soojin noticed the doll. She remembered Soeun feeling her pocket for it occasionally earlier. It must have been very special for Soeun. Remembering the baby seal doll she won earlier, she went to her bag and got it out. Setting it beside the doll, she whiled time away looking at her computer. She was getting used to a life where black and white aren’t the only colors anymore.

The water stopped flowing and Soeun came out wearing the bath robe and her long hair wrapped in a towel. Soojin went out to give Soeun privacy as she changed. Outside, she heard her father discussing things with her mother.

“-thankfully, we hadn’t let her go away earlier. When cops arrived to take her step father to the precint, they heard the suspect shouting threats. He planned to kill Soeun-ah when she came back. The cops were forced to shoot the man dead.” Her father narrated what had transpired earlier. He had called for a patrol to come and get Soeun’s step father before they went to the mall.

Mrs. Lee gasped at the news and saw Soojin standing by the entryway.

“Baby, don’t tell Soeun any of this okay? She needs time to rest and heal.” Her father, experienced in handling situations, advised her.

Nodding, Soojin went to the kitchen and got some tea. Maybe Soeun would like a cup or two.

Soeun was sitting beside the seal doll, playing with it when she came back.

“You like him?”

Soeun nodded at the question. Smiling, Soojin sat beside her and offered her tea. The amber-hued liquid looked appealing, it tasted and smelled really good.

“He’s yours now.”

“Go-gomawo Soojin-ah.” Soeun thanked her before taking another sip.

“The bed is so soft. You have a big room. My room back then was as big as that.” Soeun said as she pointed to Soojin’s wardrobe.

“Our room. Its our room from now on, Soeun-ah.”

They had then begun experimenting with the paint they had bought earlier. Soeun had an affinity for the sky blue color and she used it repeatedly, enamored by the settling blue hue. For her, it evokes a feeling of comfort and safety.

“I feel…safe.” Soeun unknowingly muttered as she painted an azure blue sky.

“I’m glad…”

The day zoomed past in no time. They had a grand time painting. Together, they were able to make a painting showcasing the sky along with numerous clouds and a faraway mountain. They had used one of the photos Soojin has on her phone. Chief Lee had gone on to the station for duty and her mom went to her office to prepare the materials needed for tomorrow’s class. Night was fast approaching and they had dinner. Finishing up for the night, they had dressed in pajamas. Soojin gave one of hers to Soeun.

“How was today?” Soojin asked.

“Magical…Happy. Safe. I haven’t felt like this in a long time Soojin-ah.”

The two were lying beside each other with their faces close. Soeun was so beautiful and Soojin can’t help but be captivated by her beauty.

“I’ll always keep you safe Soeun-ah.”

“I’ll be your guardian angel.”