the trends

lightning in a bottle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryujin has enough of walking hitting on her best friend.

It’s the fifth time today.

“Come on, you’re not going to regret it, baby girl.” Again, Ryujin has enough.

She grabs Chaeryeong by both arms and pulls her aside, putting herself in front of this 7-foot man with blonde hair, one that she thinks they have a class with, probably in Biology or Calculus. She faces him with one of her eyebrows up, an unimpressed look on her face, not even fazed if the guy ever asks her to fight him.

“I don’t know how many of your group are gonna come up here and ask for my friend’s number, but I’m not gonna get tired of saying “ off, you useless prick. She’s got more business to attend to than your boy .”, and I can’t promise that I’m going to be calm every time I repeat it.”

“Jinnie, come on.” Chaeryeong grabs her by the arm and walks away with their drinks, leading her fuming best friend back to their booth where most of their friends have stayed back and watched the whole thing unfold. Yuna’s probably on the dance floor, enjoying herself in the music.

“You look like you were a bit heated there, Ryujin unnie.” Jiheon scoots over to the inside part of the booth to let Chaeryeong and Ryujin sit on her side, Yeji and Lia watching with interest as they wait for Ryujin to reply. Still a bit pissed off, Ryujin looks up and makes eye contact with her best friend, throwing an annoyed gaze that immediately elicits a laughing fit from Yeji. “Thanks for the help.” The short-haired woman sasses.

Chaeryeong sighs from beside Ryujin, turning a bit to face her best friend. “Jinnie, I told you, you don’t have to go head-on-head with every guy who asks for my number.”

Ryujin’s eyes widen as her face contorts into one of disbelief. “Wha??? That wasn’t asking for your number! He said, and I quote “I think you and I would really hit it off, want to take some shots with me? Or better yet, on me? Come on, you’re not gonna regret it, baby girl.”.” Ryujin starts fake gagging, her acts making Lia and Jiheon laugh. “Baby girl?? Baby girl?? We’re not back in 2017, are we?”

Chaeryeong gets her point, she really does, but she thinks that the use of…provoking words isn’t really needed. “Yeah, but we can just reject them properly and politely, you know?”

Ryujin scoffs, rolling her eyes. “Those kinds of men deserve to be rejected in a way that will make them not try to hit on a girl again.”

“With how aggressive you are to them every time you reject them for me, I’m just scared that you might get involved in a fistfight.” Chaeryeong says her worries to her best friend, turning towards her to fix the short-haired girl’s hair. Ryujin turns a bright red, a color that kind of resembles a tomato on its peak of ripeness, and Yeji has to cover to stop her laugh from coming out. She wonders how Chaeryeong can’t see when Ryujin looks like a blaring red light.

“I can handle myself just fine if I ever get into a fight!” Yeji can’t stop her laugh from coming anymore.

“Ryujin, you get scared of a bug. How am I supposed to be calm about you possibly fighting a man a foot taller than you?” Ryujin grumbles as the rest of the group laugh at Chaeryeong’s quip at her.

Ryujin asks Jiheon to sit at the outermost part of the booth in hopes that no one would bother her best friend again for their remaining time inside the club and for the most part it worked, but not until Yuna comes back from the dance floor but with someone with her.

And it’s a man.

Ryujin’s never been more disappointed with her sister than now.

“He’s Bang Chan! He’s I.N’s older friend! He said that he was looking for dyed hairs and guess who has dyed hairs?” Yuna kisses Jiheon on the cheek as a greeting, the older blushing as she takes hold of her girlfriend’s hand. Bang Chan grins as he looks at the group of women with various hair colors, Yuna having her dark-blue hair, Jiheon having her pink hair, Yeji having her blonde hair just like him, Lia with her brunette hair, Ryujin with her black hair, and lastly, Chaeryeong with her red hair.

The mentioned man bows down to them as a greeting, his eyes quickly falling on the lady sitting beside the wall, against Ryujin’s best effort to keep her hidden. He beams at her and waves, pointing with his whole hand at her. “I like your hair!”

Ryujin feels like she’s going to have an aneurysm, and for a while, she blames herself for suggesting the whole red hair suiting Chaeryeong.

Cause it did. The red hair did and does suit Chaeryeong. And it’s insane with how it garners a lot of attention, from both men and women, and it’s painfully hitting the short-haired girl that Chaeryeong’s white dewy skin compliments her red dark hair and it’s even making her stand out more and it both makes Ryujin happy and annoyed at the same time.

Happy because her best friend is finally getting the recognition she deserves and she’s really happy with how she looks.

Annoyed because some of those recognition includes pricks being s just because her best friend looks like a walking Athena with red hair.

This man standing before them seems too innocent to be a prick, but Ryujin knows the world doesn’t roll that way so she’s not taking her chances of lowering her guard.

“What shade of red is that? I might try it!” What?

No flirtation? No quips about dating? No remarks about how they’d look cute together?

“My boyfriend really likes experimenting with hair colors and he’s been thinking of a color that suits me and him.” Bang Chan smiles brightly, his eyes smiling along with him. Chaeryeong smiles back at him and tells him the exact shade of her hair color, too much into talking that she can’t see how the stars shine in Ryujin’s eyes as she watches her talk.

Ryujin groans as she throws herself on Yeji’s couch after randomly popping up in her apartment, screaming when the lump, that she thought was a set of pillows covered by a blanket, screams too.

She slips on the couch just as Lia pops from under the blankets, the traces of sleep still evident on her face.

“What the ?” Lia grumbles groggily, kneading her thighs, the part where Ryujin had just sat on.

“Why are you here?!” Ryujin exclaims from the floor, rubbing her from the sudden contact with the tiled floor. Her dumb best friend still hasn’t bought any rugs to put on her living room floors despite her likeness to sit on floors.

“This is my girlfriend’s apartment, why are you even questioning my presence here?” Lia sits up and glares at her girlfriend’s best friend, her thighs still burning from Ryujin suddenly sitting on it.

“You’re supposed to be with Chaeryeong right now!” Ryujin whines and gets up, glaring and stomping her feet like a child throwing a tantrum. Lia only looks at her with mild interest.

“Chaeryeong’s out with Yuna buying drawing materials, I won’t be able to relate with it.” Lia shudders when she remembers that drawing contest their group had and she was paired with her girlfriend. Never again.

“And before you rant about someone needing to be there cause someone might hit on Chaeryeong, I’m pretty sure Yuna has that covered. She’s not a floor hockey for no reason, you know.” The short-haired girl ignores the funny feeling she feels when she hears Lia’s very sassy tone, sitting again on the couch beside Lia.

“Oh good, I don’t think I can survive the afternoon worrying about her.” Ryujin loses herself in her thoughts as she starts worrying even though she just got validation that her best friend’s safe, unaware of Lia looking at her with a c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter