Chapter 1

A Hand Written Story

Police sirens blare all around the area. Police tape covers the entrance to a mansion. This is the mansion of a multimillionaire. Officers everywhere, an ambulance waiting outside, the wind picking up from the sea that wasn’t too far away.

“Out of the way! Make way!” Some medics came rushing out of the mansion with a stretcher. The person on the stretcher was identified as the owner of this mansion.

The medics quickly worked getting the man into the vehicle and securing everything before driving to the hospital.

As the ambulance left, one of the detectives got out of the car. It was none other than the Nation’s best detective, Park Jungsu. If he couldn’t solve it then it couldn’t be solved. He has been known to crack some of the biggest cases in the nation. He watched as the ambulance drove out of sight then he started looking around. He took note of small details as he walked over to the police chief.

“What’s the story?” He asked the chief.

The police chief sighed. “This is the third one this month. It’s always the same, took out the man but left everything as it is. Wouldn’t someone steal something after going through the trouble of taking out the guy?” He scratched his head.

“There is always a motive. It just doesn’t make sense to us right now, but it will later.” Jungsu kept his gaze on the front of the house looking over every little detail that he could see from his standing point. “Where’s his wife?”

“She committed suicide. We’re not sure the reason though. We think it’s because of the dead husband. Are you any closer to catching the killer?” The chief asked him.

Jungsu kept his gaze on the mansion while answering. “You learn something new every day. Can we go inside?” He asked.

The chief nodded and started walking towards the mansion. He gave the okay for Jungsu to enter the scene. When they walked in, Jungsu took special note of how everything was in perfect condition.

“Did you find out what the cause of death is?” Jungsu asked while looking closely at everything.

“Aniyo. It’s like he just died. No reason whatsoever just keeled over.” The chief was puzzled with this matter. “That’s the reason we called you. You the best of the best.”

“Where was the body found?” Jungsu was looking for something in particular.

“Upstairs in the bathroom. It’s this way.” The chief started walking through the house to the stairs. They went through multiple hallways. Jungsu continued examining everything as he walked through the house. It was a huge place, very easy to get lost in, or play hide and seek. “Here it is.” The chief motioned to the outline of the body drawn on the floor. Jungsu immediately looked around the surrounding area for any small details that stood out. He found what he was looking for.

Placed on the sink very carefully was a calling card, the trademark of the person who did this. “Hye su.” He whispered.

“Is it her? Is it the same person?” The chief asked curiously.

Jungsu placed the card in an inner pocket of his coat and continued looking around. He walked out of the bathroom into the connecting bedroom. This was obviously the master bedroom. He walked over to the window and opened it. He stuck his head out and looked down and around. Nothing. He scanned the window frame. It was clean. He knew from the moment he found the card that finding something that could lead him closer to this Hye su was going to be close to impossible.

Slightly frustrated he closed the window, but right before he closed it all the way a breeze blew in. The breeze carried a very faint smell. The smell of perfume. He took a mental note of the smell and closed the window more. “Did his wife wear perfume?” He asked turning around.

“Neh. Her corner is right over there.” He replied pointing to the area for makeup and perfume. Obviously it was his wife’s area. Jungsu walked over to the desk. He saw various perfumes. One by one, he picked them up and smelled them. None of them carried the same fragrance he smelled.

“What about his daughter?” Jungsu asked the chief placing the perfume bottle down.

The chief lead Jungsu through the confusing hallways again into another bedroom; this room contained items pertaining to a young girl. “This is the daughter’s room, but their daughter has been gone for months. We are still trying to find her.”

“She’s missing?” Jungsu looked around the girl’s room.

“Neh. She ran away about 3 months ago. There was nothing telling where the daughter had gone or why.” The chief was explaining the Jungsu.

Jungsu looked around seeing a bunch of pictures on shelves and hanging on the walls. He picked up one that sparked his interest. “Is this the girl?” He asked pointing to the pictures.

“Neh. She had a passion for modeling.” The chief replied.

Jungsu looked at the picture he was holding. The girl was sitting on a window seat looking out the window. Her face gave the expression of her being far away from the place she was.

Crash!

Jungsu turned around to find the chief standing next to a picture that he had dropped. The glass was shattered and the picture was slightly out of the frame. Jungsu also noticed something else coming out of the frame. He walked over and picked up the piece of paper coming out of the frame. He opened it. It was a letter. It wasn’t addressed to anyone, but it looked important. He read it to himself.

‘I can’t stand it here anymore. Every day is the same, go to a stupid prep school for rich kids, and then I come home to a mother who does nothing but take care of her plants and herself. Every night the man I call my father comes home all drunk. They always get in a fight. She always pretends to be on my side but she doesn’t care about me at all. All they want is a responsible child to carry on the family name. They wanted a son, but got me instead. They were always trying to have another child but I was the only thing they got. My father is always beating my mom, they always yell at each other through the night. I can never sleep peacefully. I need to get out. I can’t stay here anymore. They don’t care about me! They just care about their money!’

Jungsu felt the pain that the girl felt. The letter didn’t include where she would run away to. He folded up the letter again and looked up. Standing there was a police officer looking like he was about to explode with the news he carried. “She’s back! The missing girl is home!” He shouted.

Surprised, they all ran outside to find the girl standing there with an officer. Jungsu looked at the girl. She was perfectly fine. She looked healthy, well-fed, and happier than in the pictures. The chief walked up to her and started asking her questions. “I will answer your questions, but first someone told me to give this to a Park Jungsu.” She held a piece of paper in her hand. Jungsu walked up to her.

“My name is Park Jungsu.” He told her.

She looked up at him and smiled. “Here this is for you.” She handed him the piece of paper.

He took it and opened it reading silently to himself. His eyes widened. “Who gave this to you?” He asked quickly.

“A nice lady, she helped take care of me when I had nothing else.” The girl answered.

“What was her name?” Jungsu asked her.

The girl thought for a moment. “Well, she never told me exactly, but I called her Miss A.”

“Do you remember what she looks like?” He asked her.

“I saw her maybe once or twice during the time I was with her. She would always leave me food to eat and clothes to wear. She took care of me.” The girl answered.

Jungsu sighed. The chief was curious. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“I thought she might have slipped up, but apparently not.” Jungsu looked at the letter. “Well, there’s not much else I can do today, and it’s getting late. I’ll come back later and look around some more if that’s ok with you of course.” Jungsu directed his attention to the girl.

“Why are you asking me?” She wondered.

“Well, now that you father is gone, this whole estate belongs to you.” He pointed out.

The chief stepped in. “Wait, what about the wife?” He asked.

“The will is to the girl not the wife.” Jungsu stated.

The girl and the chief were curious. “How did you know that?” The girl asked him.

“I have my sources.” Jungsu stated as he placed the piece of paper in his pocket, and then went to his car, got in, and drove off.

 

On the other side of town, a mysterious figure sat in a room. She had an ear bud in her ear listening to the entire conversation that just took place. She smiled. “Just you wait, Jungsu, we’ll meet face to face eventually.”