TWO

Through the Seasons

August 2006

 

It all started in third grade. The new transfer student was eating alone in one of the tables, eyeing the other boys that were playing tag in the playground, all of them covered in sweat and dirt. He wanted to join them but he was too shy to ask. He was the only new student in his class because who else would move school in third grade? If it wasn’t because of his grandpa’s death, his family wouldn’t need to go back home to Jeonju to take care of their grandma. He decided to finish the kimbap his mom has packed him this morning. 

“Do you want to be friends?” A cheery voice behind him asked. 

And that was the question that changed everything. That question was a tiny bud that eventually bloomed into an friendship that was almost unbreakable. And for Kim Sunggyu that day, it was the question that almost made him choke because he wasn’t expecting anyone to come up to him from behind like that.

He turned his head around, only to see a chubby girl with pink spectacles grinning at him, lunch bag on her right hand and a purple water bottle on the other hand. It’s hard to miss her. They were in the same class and she sat two seats in front of him. But it’s how she wouldn’t stop talking that made her stand out amongst their classmates. Sunggyu guessed that the reason she was put in the front row of the class was so she would stop distracting her classmates although it didn’t seem to stop her.

He wasn’t too sure if he wanted to be friends with what he would call a trouble maker like her. He was hoping he was approached by one of the boys, so he turned back around and continued eating his kimbap. 

“My name is Eunji!” 

She didn’t need an answer from Sunggyu though. With light steps, she hopped to the bench across Sunggyu and placed her lunch bag and water bottle there. 

'Are you feeling shy?” She asked as she opened her lunchbox, revealing the egg rolls her mom had made for her, “My mom says it’s okay to be shy and she told me to talk to friends who are a little shy. That’s why I’m talking to you!” 

Eunji grinned and without a word of warning, she cut a tiny bit of her egg roll and placed it on Sunggyu’s lunchbox, “For you.” 

Sunggyu was taken aback once again (and this won’t be the last time). He managed to give her a small smile and muttered, “Uh, thanks.” 

“Are you not going to give me your kimbap?” Eunji asked, still giving him that gummy grin. 

Sunggyu nodded and passed her a kimbap from his lunchbox. 

 

-//-

 

November 2014

 

“Are you not going to give me your kimbap?”

Sunggyu glared at the woman beside him and moved his plate possessively away from her, earning an eye roll from her.

“How stingy,” Eunji muttered. 

“You always want my food, if you want kimbap then you should’ve gotten the kimbap not some fried chicken,” Sunggyu nagged.

“And there they go again,” Eunji’s classmate, Lee Howon, took the seat in front of them. 

“Where have you been?” Sunggyu asked, “This girl can’t stop bothering me,” 

Sunggyu’s arm earned a slap from Eunji and he winced. 

“Dance practice with Dongwoo,” Howon answered as he started eating the school lunch, “You know how it’s been with the year end festival coming up and all,” 

“Ah right,” Sunggyu nodded and began to tease, “Eunji can’t wait to see you perform,” 

And that earned him another slap from his best friend. 

Later that day after school, when Sunggyu and Eunji were walking back home, Eunji complained, “Why are you always embarrassing me in front of Howon? You should stop doing that, it’s not funny.” 

“Look at you and your love hormones,” He kept on teasing, “You know Howon likes you too, what’s there to hide.” 

Eunji grunted, “No! We don’t know if Howon likes me and he for sure won’t like me if you keep on making me look bad in front of him.” 

Before Sunggyu can answer her back, his phone shrilled. He furrowed his eyebrows and took a look at the callers ID, “It’s Woohyun.” 

Sunggyu answered the call and Woohyun reminded him that they had vocal practice that day, which Sunggyu totally forgot and Woohyun didn’t sound too happy over the phone, “You know we’re performing in a couple of weeks right?” 

“I promise this is going to be my first and last time Woohyun - I’m setting a reminder now ok? Bye,” Sunggyu said and he quickly ended the call because he didn’t want to hear more nagging from Woohyun.

Eunji who was watching the whole thing just shook her head, “School is just five minutes away, you know you can always walk back.” 

“Nah,” Sunggyu shrugged, “I’m walking you back home anyways.” 

Eunji didn’t get why Sunggyu always insisted on walking her back home. Granted, they lived in the same neighborhood - their houses were only a block away from each other but it was still an extra 7 minutes (yes, she timed it) for him every day.

 

-//-

 

The next morning at school, Eunji was greeted with Howon who sat behind her table since she always had the priority sitting in the front desk since first grade. Her homeroom teachers had reserved that special spot only for her. 

“Good morning Eunji-ah,” He said and ruffled her hair when walking past her. 

Eunji felt her heart starting to slam against her chest really hard, especially when Howon called her name endearingly like that, but she masked her excitement with a tiny smile as she turned her back around to greet him, “Hey,” 

“I texted you last night,” he said as he sat down, “Did you fall asleep already?” 

Eunji grinned and her eye smiles always excites the butterfly in Howon’s stomach, “You know how I am,” she said and checked her phone, “I was playing video games with Sunggyu and then fell asleep,”

Howon sighed exaggeratedly, very well aware that once she plays video games, Eunji is unstoppable - maybe she’s even a little addicted, “Then I’m guessing you didn’t finish your chemistry homework?” 

Eunji’s eyes widened, “We had chemistry homework?!” 

Howon gave her a smug smile and leaned back on his chair while crossing his arms, “You’re too predictable,” He won’t lie and say that he didn’t find all if this amusing. As they say, teasing is a sign of affection. 

“,” she cursed and started fishing her bag pack for her notebook, “What’s the homework?” 

“Here,” Howon nudged Eunji’s back with his notebook, “Just make sure you don’t copy word for word,”

Eunji gave him an exaggerated grin, “Lee Howon, you’re the best,” but before she could take the book from his hand, Howon snatched it back.

“I’ll let you copy my work with one condition,” He said.

“Yes, I’ll agree to whatever,” Eunji replied, trying to grab Howon’s notebook but her arms were too short, “Just give me that now, there’s no time,” 

“Okay, okay. As long as I can join you and Sunggyu play video games tonight,” Howon narrowed his eyes, waiting for Eunji’s approval. 

“Yes of course!” Eunji might have agreed to that too excitedly. She has always wanted to play with Howon but never had the guts to ask him to join because she didn’t want him to see her dork out when playing, “Now give me the book,”

Howon finally gave in and Eunji started doing what she’s best at - copying home works.

 

-//-

 

When lunch break finally came, Howon and Eunji walked together to Sunggyu’s class next door. 

“Kim Sunggyu, let’s eat!!” Eunji yelled shamelessly when she entered his class, “I’m starving,” 

Good thing for Sunggyu because the class was almost empty, except for him and Woohyun who were talking before their conversation was rudely interrupted. 

“Yah!” Sunggyu groaned, “I’m not deaf, if anything your loud voice is going to make me deaf,” 

Eunji rolled her eyes and Howon only chuckled. 

“Fine let’s eat,” Sunggyu stood up from his chair, “Do you guys mind if Woohyun joins us?” 

“Of course not, as long as we go NOW,” Eunji replied, emphasizing the now because her stomach can’t wait after finishing that math quiz. 

 

The four of them rushed downstairs to the cafeteria (more like Eunji rushed all of them). Eunji knew about Nam Woohyun but never really had a full conversation with him.  He was one of the two most popular guys in the school - the other contender was a year younger than them, the freshman Kim Myungsoo. She remembered the first day during freshman year of high school, all the girls were talking about Woohyun non-stop the first week. 

Eunji had to admit she felt a little sorry for him because everywhere he went, girls would be shoving gifts in front of him, and Woohyun had no choice but to accept them. And because Woohyun might have loved that attention a little too much, he would entertain everyone who gave him gifts. It had gotten better then as they were in their sophomore year and everyone started getting accustomed to his charming visuals. Eunji herself was never too mesmerized by him. Sure, no one can deny Woohyun’s charm but she has always been head over heels for Howon since freshman year. 

 

“Go get us a table, I’ll bring you your food,” Howon told Eunji who nodded.

“I’ll come with you!” Woohyun caught up to the female who was already ahead of him.

The two settled on a table near the window where it was less crowded. Woohyun took a seat on the sofa and Eunji sat on the chair across him. 

“So it’s true what everyone’s saying,” Woohyun smiled as he took out his lunchbox.

“What?”

“You and Howon are together,” He declared and Eunji immediately looked around to make sure Howon didn’t hear that. 

“W-what,” she chuckled nervously, her face heating up, “That’s not true, we’re just friends,” 

Woohyun gave her a knowing smirk, “Right,” 

“Yah, stop it, we’re not dating!” Eunji retorted. 

“Who’s not dating?” Howon nonchalantly asked as he took the seat next to Eunji while Sunggyu sat down next to his classmate. 

“No one,” “You two,” 

Eunji glared at Woohyun who was amused at the scene he just made. Howon laughed it off, “Here’s your food,” he said and slid Eunji’s tray to her. 

“Thanks,” She muttered, looking down at her food and hoping that no one caught her cheeks turning red. 

“Are you not eating with your friends today, Woohyun?” Howon decided to divert the topic and Eunji internally thanked him. 

“Nah, they’ve been playing soccer during lunch but I want to save my energy because we have practice today, right Sunggyu?” He turned his head to Sunggyu who groaned.

“Yes, I’ve set a reminder that we have practice,” he said, “Stop guilt tripping me for skipping one practice,” 

“Oh, by the way,” Eunji spoke, “Howon wants to join us play video games tonight - that’s okay with you right Sunggyu?” 

Sunggyu looked rather taken aback but he quickly nodded, “Yeah, sure,” 

“You want to join us Woohyun?” Eunji offered. Although this was their first time hanging out together, she had an inkling that they would click (even though he managed to annoy the hell out of her about Howon).

Woohyun nodded, “Of course, it’d be fun!” 

 

-//- 

 

Sunggyu told Eunji that he couldn’t walk back home with her because he had practice (that Woohyun had been reminding him through out the whole day). He was on his break and standing in front of the vending machine, contemplating what drink he should get when he heard Howon call him from behind. 

“Hey, you’re practicing with Dongwoo for the festival too?” Sunggyu asked.

Howon nodded, “Yeah, we’re finalizing our choreography,” 

“Ah, I see,” 

Howon bit his lip nervously. He had wanted to ask Eunji out on a date since ages ago, but he knew that he needed to go through Sunggyu before doing that. After all, the two of them were inseparable since third grade and he knew Sunggyu was like a brother to Eunji. He wanted to make sure that Sunggyu won’t have any hard feelings with him asking Eunji out. 

“Actually, I wanted to ask you something,” Howon broke the momentary silence.

Sunggyu pressed the buttons on the vending machine and took out his wallet, “You’re finally going to ask Eunji out?” 

“Only if you are okay with that,” Howon answered. 

Sunggyu picked up his drink and smiled to Howon, “Of course,” he nodded, “Just make sure to treat her well. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said before giving Howon a pat on the shoulder and walked back to the practice room. 

 

-//- 

 

Later that night, Sunggyu told his friends that he had to catch up with his homework after an hour of playing video games. He had no homeworks to catch up but was just too tired to play and socialize with his friends. 

Sunggyu went downstairs to grab some fruits his mom had cut for him this evening. As he took the scanned the fridge, he heard the front door open, revealing his sister who just got home from work.

“Oh, you’re not playing with Eunji?” She asked with confusion when she saw her brother at this time of the day. 

“I’m tired,” He shoved a melon into his mouth, “She’s playing with Howon and Woohyun anyway,” 

“That’s why he’s been sulky all day today Jieun,” Their mom sneakily came out of the kitchen with a bowl of soup for her eldest daughter. 

“Mom!” Sunggyu pouted. 

Jieun laughed and took a strawberry from Sunggyu’s bowl, “Looks like you got some competition now,” she said, “That’s why I told you not to wait too long,” 

Sunggyu groaned and stood up, “Ugh, you know it’s not like that,” he said, “I’m heading back to my room before you ruin my night,”

Sunggyu quickly went up to his bedroom again and plopped himself on the bed. He stared at his phone, contemplating whether to text Eunji and remind her not to go to bed too late. In the end, he decided not to. 

 

Instead, he wondered how Howon would ask Eunji out. 



 

Ok ok, so is it HoJi? SuJi? or maybe WooGyu??