only one.

With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong sighed heavily as she got out of her car. 

 

Everything that had gone down at work was stressful. She loves her job, don’t get her wrong, but she hates the fact that they rely too much on her to a point that she is forced to say yes in situations she doesn’t want to be involved with. The only thing she’s happy about is her supervisor canceling her overtime, which means she can go home early and rest.

 

Go home early and be with her girlfriend.

 

*ding*

 

The elevator arrived on her floor. She tiredly walked to her apartment door. Minjeong was about to open the door when it suddenly opened,

 

“Oh, babe?” A wide-eyed and shocked Jimin, fully dressed and about to go out, opened the door wider for her girlfriend to enter. She kissed on the lips to welcome her, “Wait, I thought you had overtime today?” 

 

“Ah, yeah. I got off work early today.”

 

“Oh, that’s nice.” As Minjeong put all her stuff on their couch, she noticed Jimin taking off her jacket and scarf too, “I thought you're going out, babe?”

 

“I was supposed to hang out at Yizhuo’s cuz I thought you have overtime today, but since you’re here,” Jimin tilted her head and smiled at her, “I prefer spending time with you than going out.”

 

Minjeong couldn’t help but smile. She slowly walked over to where her girlfriend was standing and hugged her tightly. Jimin hugged her back and rubbed her back, “you must be tired.” 

 

“Hhmm,” Minjeong sighs and nods, ”I miss you.”

 

She felt the other girl chuckle and kiss her head, “I miss you too, Minjeongie.”

 

--------------------

 

"How's the shop going?" Minjeong asked as she passed to Jimin the newly bought Chinese food they ordered. 

 

Both girls are now seated down comfortably on their couch, sitting on each corner and their legs tangled together in the middle. As both didn’t expect to have dinner together, they settled with buying a Chinese food take-out.

 

"So far, it's going well," Jimin shares, "there were a lot of orders today which was a hassle, by the way,"

 

Minjeong glances at her, "what kind of orders?"

 

Jimin wrinkled her nose as she remembered her stress from earlier the day, "I don't know if it's the season, but there were a lot of flower orders for company events."

 

"It must be the season,"

 

“Maybe,”

 

They continue to talk about anything that comes up in their mind, casually sharing their thoughts and laughs as they finish their dinner.

 

“How about you, babe?” Jimin stood up and took the empty Chinese takeouts to clean up, “how was your day?”

 

“Uuhhhh, so-so,”

 

“So-so? What does that mean?”

 

“Both good and bad?” Jimin hummed as she put their stuff in the sink and went back to the living room. She gave Minjeong a back hug and kissed her cheek, “did something happen?”

 

Minjeong heavily sighs. She looked at her girlfriend and kissed her chastely. She really doesn’t want to break the good mood that they are in right now, but she needs to be honest.

 

She backed away a bit and whispered softly, “I have bad news.” This made Jimin confused and worried. The last time Minjeong was like this was when she first traveled abroad because of work. But Minjeong promised she won’t leave anymore. Because of Minjeong’s work, the short-haired girl had to travel abroad. At first, it was just the neighboring countries, 1-2 weeks, or a month at most. Then last year when it became longer and longer as she needed to go to western countries, 3 months was the longest. It was hard for both of them, especially for Jimin. Being apart from each other is not something she will ever get used to.

 

As Jimin settled on the couch and faced the other girl, she slowly asked, “Is everything alright?”

 

“Babe,”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Please don’t be angry...”

 

“Minjeongie, unless you are breaking up with me, I don’t think I will be upset-” unless… Jimin’s face darkens. “No, don’t tell me,”

 

Minjeong sighs heavily, “Jiminie, I tried to decline but-”

 

Jimin stood up and walked away, “babe,”

 

“You promised, Minjeong,”

 

“I know,”

 

“Then why?”

 

Minjeong stood up as well and slowly approached her girlfriend, “It’s out of my hands, Jimin. After my promotion a month ago, they want me to head the new project in Canada-”

 

“Canada?” Jimin exclaimed, “Minjeong, that’s so far,”

 

“I know, babe,” the short-haired girl closed the gap between her and Jimin. She cupped the other girl’s face, “I know, I’m sorry.” Jimin held on Minjeong’s wrists as if to ground herself.

 

Her Minjeong will leave once again.

 

“How long?” Jimin whispered. Minjeong tried to open to speak but closed it. It was hard for her, too. “Minjeong, for how long?” Jimin spoke a bit loudly this time.

 

“6...months,” Jimin moved away, “No, that’s too long,”

 

“If it doesn’t work out immediately, I might need to stay longer,”

 

“What?” Minjeong looked away as she doesn’t have the guts to look at Jimin. 

 

“What do you mean longer?” Jimin’s voice was getting louder, she couldn’t handle it anymore.

 

Minjeong promised her that she won’t leave anymore, and now, she’s leaving again. She’s leaving me here. “Don’t make me ask once more-”

 

“A year,” Minjeong sighs heavily, “if there are problems, I...I might need to stay at least for a year-”

 

“Gosh, Minjeong-”

 

“Jiminie-”

 

“Don’t!” Jimin backed away from Minjeong, as she knows she might break down if she comes any closer, “You told me you won’t travel anymore,”

 

“I know, and I really tried,” Minjeong explains, “I told them I won’t accept the job, but they don’t have anyone else to assign the project with,”

 

“How about Mark? Or Jaehyun? Even Aeri? They are capable,”

 

“They were assigned to other projects, Jimin,”

 

“Then tell them to exchange with you, Minjeong. You can’t just accept projects casually,”

 

“Casually? Do you think I didn’t try?” Minjeong argues, “I tried. I even begged, but it can’t be changed,”

 

“Did you really?”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” 

 

“I don’t know Minjeong, you tell me.” Minjeong was hurt by Jimin’s words. Jimin would never know how much she tried to argue the assignment. She doesn’t want to leave, too. Minjeong closed her eyes as she didn't want to snap at Jimin, “Jimin, I know this is hard for you, it is hard for me too.” Her voice was quivering as she was on the verge of crying, but she tried to sound as calm as possible for the other girl to understand. 

 

“Do you?” she couldn’t hold back her tears anymore.

 

“Wha-what?”

 

“Do you know how hard this is for me?” Jimin painfully expressed, “Cuz I think you don’t,” she turned around and harshly, wiped her tears away, took her jacket and Minjeong’s keys.

 

“Wait, where are you going?”

 

Jimin put on her shoes, “I can’t stay here,”

 

“Jimin,” 

 

“No, don’t,” Jimin paused, “don’t stop me, don’t follow me,” She sighed heavily and glanced one last time at Minjeong, “I need to process this.”

 

The moment the door was shut, Minjeong’s tears she held also fell. She knew this would happen. She knew Jimin wouldn't like the news.

 

She doesn’t like it either, but what can she do? She needs to go.

 

Again.

 

She hates that she needs to leave Jimin again, longer this time, but there was nothing she could do. The plan was set.

 

Jimin would never know how Minjeong threw a fit at the office, for informing her about the project and the assignment late. She was so angry at her supervisor for not informing her, she even threatened to resign. It was a last-minute decision, she internally scoffs. She knew the company hid it so that at the last minute she couldn’t back down.

 

But she couldn’t resign, not yet. Not yet when it’s for her and Jimin’s future.

 

Suddenly, she receives a phone call, great.

 

It was her immediate supervisor.

 

Minjeong could only sigh. She harshly wipes her tears away and clears before answering, “hello?”

 

-------------

 

Jimin walked around the place where she always finds solitude and peace, the Han River. It was nice as there weren't many people, she was able to find a spot to sit on. 

 

She always comes here if she wants to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter