There's a Ghost in My House

Bun In The Oven

Jaehyun lately has a suspicion that there is a ghost in their house. 

He always has a habit of taking a pee in the middle of the night. But lately, he is sure he heard some noises in the kitchen. He is quite sure he heard sounds coming from the kitchen for three days consecutively. He is not a coward. He is not. 

His Daddy said Jaehyun is a big boy already! He is seven years old, he sure is a big  boy! He just can’t check what the sound is all alone. What if the ghost kidnapped him or something? That’s why he decides to recruit Jibeom, his ugly twin. 

“Jibeom-ah, wake up please, I beg you!” Jaehyun try to wake his brother and whispering urgently. He needs to pee! 

“Arggh what is it? Can’t you pee by yourself? You coward!” Jibeom groans having his sweet dream interrupted by his brother.

“You have to protect me, I told you about the ghost Jibeom-ah! I can’t go all alone!” Jaehyun whines and pats his brother’s cheek to wake him up better.

“I told you, you are just imagining things! Tell me again who mistook Papa’s standee as a thief?” Yes, their Papa brought his real life size standee to their house because he is weird like that.

“Well that was the first time I saw his standee inside the house, oh come on Jibeom I have to pee!” Jaehyun starts to move frantically in his place, holding in his pee.

“Ugh, alright. If there is nothing in the kitchen, I swear…” Jibeom finally get up while grumbling  with a heavy eyelid.

You see, their bedroom is on the second floor along with their parent’s bedroom. They actually have a bathroom both on the second floor and on the first floor, but the toilet on the second floor is clogged and they haven’t repaired it yet because their Papa is in the middle of his busiest shooting for his new reality show. So they have to go to the bathroom on the first floor.

The bathroom is on the left of the stair leading to the second floor, and the kitchen is on the opposite side. That’s why Jaehyun could hear the sound coming from the kitchen, but he didn't have enough courage to check what was going on in the kitchen. It was in the middle of the night for God’s sake.

Jibeom doesn’t believe one bit that whatever Jaehyun hears is a ghost. Jaehyun has a habit of daydreaming after all. But he knows Jaehyun won’t lie. Maybe there was really a sound coming from the kitchen so he decides to play along, because there is a chance it is an alien! Jibeom can’t believe how his twin decides a ghost is more probable than an alien. Alien is real! Ghost is not!

Jibeom following Jaehyun inside the toilet and wait for him to finish peeing already (what is this boy drinking really, he always take a long time when peeing. And why he always drink before sleeping Jibeom will never understand). Finally Jaehyun finished his peeing and they come out from the bathroom together.

Right when they close the bathroom door, they can hear sounds coming from the kitchen. They look at each other alarmingly, Jaehyun immediately whispers urgently while grasping Jibeom’s hand. 

“You hear that?! I told you it’s a ghost!”

“Calm down, Jaehyun! I told you, maybe it’s an alien!” Jibeom whispers back excitedly.

“Come on, let’s check what it is!” Jibeom holds Jaehyun’s hand and they walk slowly towards the kitchen holding hands really closely.

All of the light is out in the kitchen so they can’t see clearly, but they can see a tall white thing moving about in the kitchen. The white thing actually opens the refrigerator and the startling light from the refrigerator is the cue for them to run for their life.

“AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” They scream and run as fast as they can to their bedroom.

Jaehyun and Jibeom are huddled up in Jibeoms’s bed together under the blanket. They always do that when they are scared. Their parents always wonder why they always huddled up in Jibeom’s bed and not Jaehyun’s. But it’s not like the twins have a reason either, they just did it out of habit.

“Jaehyun-ah, Jibeom-ah.'' They can hear their Daddy’s voice from outside their door.

Their Daddy enters their bedroom and lifts the blanket his children are under.

 “What happened? Why are you screaming?” their Daddy sits on their bed gently.

“DADDY, ME AND JIBEOM JUST SAW A GHOST” Jaehyun hurriedly lunges at his Daddy and hugs him around his neck.

“A ghost? Where?” their Daddy looks questionably at Jibeom because now Jaehyun clings to him and puts his face to his Daddy’s neck.

“In the kitchen! We saw this tall white ghost opening our refrigerator!” Jibeom tells his Daddy frantically. While he feels scared, Jibeom also feels kind of thrilled too by the experience.

Their Daddy blushes hearing Jibeom’s word. He is kind of at a loss for words, in the end he decides to assure his children.

“Don’t worry kids, there are no ghosts in our house, believe me,” he pats Jaehyun’s bum with his left hand and pats Jibeom’s head with his right hand.

“But we saw it with our own eyes Daddy, it’s real!” Now it’s Jaehyun’s turn to look at their Daddy and retell their experience to convince him. 

“Believe me, what you two saw is not a ghost.” Daeyeol says while staring right at Jaehyun’s eye and cupping his face with his two hands.

“Then what is it Daddy?” Jibeom asks excitedly, still hoping there is a chance it’s an alien.

“By the way, don’t run up the stairs, you two! It’s dangerous!” Yes, Daeyeol tries to change the topic. He changes his tone to his ‘angry’ tone. And of course it works. Their Daddy is their angel, it’s their Papa’s job to reprimand them when they are being naughty. So when their Daddy uses his angry tone, Jaehyun and Jibeom ALWAYS listen.

“We are sorry, Daddy.” Jibeom squeaks in a small voice.

“We promise to be careful, Daddy.” Jaehyun continues and they both look at their Daddy with their big doe eyes.

“Don’t use those eyes on me!” Daeyeol can’t help but laugh seeing his children use their ‘doe eyes’ attack on him. Jaehyun and Jibeom decide they are forgiven after hearing their Daddy’s laugh and they smile happily.

“Let’s go back to sleep, okay? Do you want me to sleep with you?” Daeyeol Jibeom’s hair while Jaehyun is still sitting on his lap.

“No it’s okay Daddy, I will just sleep in Jibeom’s bed.” Jaehyun moves to lay in Jibeom’s bed, followed by Jibeom.

“Go rest, Daddy, we are fine.” Jibeom waves his hand while pulling the blanket to cover both him and Jaehyun’s body. Daeyeol chuckles at his cheeky twin's attitude.

“Okay, sweet dream you two” Daeyeol kisses their forehead and goes back to his bedroom.

Jaehyun and Jibeom of course don’t sleep immediately. They chat excitedly about their experience until they fall asleep tiredly.

* * *

In the morning, Jaehyun and Jibeom come down to the dining room (which is right across from their kitchen) with a high spirit. They knew their Papa would be sitting down already, drinking his herbal drink in the early morning. And they are not wrong.

“Morning, my descendants!” Jangjun smiles brightly, opening his arm to welcome his flocking children to his hug. Today is their Papa’s day off so he is just lazing about in his pair of red training suits. He is a well known entertainer, and his real personality is actually not far off from his persona on screen.

“Papa papa papa papa!” Jaehyun and Jibeom say simultaneously that they sounded like a chirping bird.

“Okay now, you two sit and talk one by one. Your Daddy made your breakfast already, so talk while eating, okay?” Jangjun always encourages their children to chat while they have a meal.

After they all sit nicely in their respective chairs, Jaehyun starts to tell their Papa their adventure last night.

“Papa, last night me and Jibeom saw a white ghost in the kitchen! I always tell Jibeom that I heard sounds from kitchen but he didn’t believe me!” Jaehyun bounces excitedly in his seat while grabbing his sandwich.

“No, what I said is, it is not a ghost! I think it was an alien! Daddy said it’s not a ghost!” Jibeom talks excitedly, still convinced it was an alien.

“White ghost in the kitchen?” Jangjun frowns a little while Daeyeol brings his milk and sits beside his husband.

“Yes, we run when the ghost opened the refrigerator!” Jibeom explains to his Papa while chewing his sandwich.

Hearing Jibeom’s last sentence, Jangjun laughs loudly while slapping his thigh. Daeyeol, once again, blushing hearing Jibeom’s word.

“Don’t worry kids, the ghost was just trying to feed his baby” Jangjun tells his children while trying to hold his laughter. Daeyeol can’t help but pinching his husband’s arm strongly “Yah Jangjun!”

“Ow ow ow okay, honey. Sorry, hahahahaha okay, okay, I’m sorry!” Jangjun can’t stop laughing even when his husband pinches him more intensely.

Jaehyun and Jibeom confusedly stare at their parents while still munching their food.

“Ghost can have a baby?” Jaehyun asks confusedly while looking at both of his parents.

“No Jaehyunie, actually the ghost is your Daddy. He was just searching for food in the middle of the night because he feels hungry all the time growing your sibling.” Jangjun hands rubbing Daeyeol’s six months pregnant belly lovingly while nuzzling his nose to Daeyeol’s pouting face.

“What? But we saw a tall white ghost?” Jibeom remembers only seeing a white thing and not his Daddy.

“Your Daddy decided to envelop himself with a white sheet because he always feels cold and hungry!” 

Jangjun can’t help but giggle because that is exactly what Daeyeol always complains about in the middle of the night: cold and hungry.

“Oh...” If Jibeom try to remember correctly, their Daddy actually brought a white sheet around his shoulder when he came to their bedroom last night.

“What??? Daddy is a ghost??? Daddy is not a human??? Am I a ghost too???” Jaehyun shrieks loudly.

Jibeom can only facepalm at his twin.