And Sleeps And Overs

Coming Out Of Nowhere

“Taeyeon, are you sure you’ll be alright on your own?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“You don’t look fine.”

“I’m fine. I just need some rest. It’s been a while since I’ve done so much exercise.”

“I’ll walk you to your apartment.”

“But you must be tired too.”

“I’m actually feeling great,” Tiffany replied with a radiant smile. “You did most of the heavy lifting so I didn’t have to lift that much.”

“Well, okay then.”

Mixed feelings welled up as Taeyeon walked towards her apartment. The campus apartment block for teachers was not far from the sports building and ordinarily, Taeyeon was happy about it. However, right in this moment, she wished it were further.

“There’s something odd about the way you’re walking,” Tiffany remarked as they walked up the path to the apartment block.

“It’s nothing.”

“It’s something.”

“Nothing a little rest won’t fix.”

“Your nonchalance worries me.”

“I’m not nonchalant. I’m just not overreacting, that’s all.”

“Are you saying I’m overreacting?”

Oh, crap. Taeyeon put on a wide smile and shook her head. “No, of course not. You’re worried because you’re kind. You’re not overreacting. Anyway, here we are. My apartment. You should go back to yours and rest too.”

“I’m not leaving you on your own with your attitude. Open the door. I’ll take care of you.”

“What? No, no. You really don’t have to.”

“Look, you did most of the heavy lifting because I asked you to. It’s only fair that I return the favour.”

“No, no, no. You should rest too. I’ll be fine after a good sleep, I promise.”

“Open the door, Taeyeon.”

The look in Tiffany’s eyes sent a clear message to Taeyeon that she didn’t have much choice in this matter. With an inward sign, Taeyeon tapped her key card and unlocked the door. “Before you enter, I need to warn you. My apartment is not in a state suitable for visitors.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve seen my fair share of messes. I won’t mind at all.”

“Alright.” Taeyeon opened the door and stepped in. “Come on in then.”

Yuri was about to take a sip of her early morning coffee when Sooyoung burst into the lounge.

“Where were you yesterday? You never came.”

Yuri turned red and turned away from Sooyoung. “I fell asleep.”

“In the afternoon?”

“I thought I could sneak in a nap.”

“Are you a child?”

“Who ever said only children nap?”

“Only children nap and end up sleeping till the next day.”

Yuri stuck her tongue out. “It’s not like I missed out on anything.”

“Oh,” Sooyoung grinned, “you missed out.”

“What did I miss?”

“There’s something going on between the new manager and our dear ol’ pup sis.”

Yuri’s eyes widened. “Tiffany? Taeyeon?”

“Mhm.”

“Tell me everything.”

There was an unusual heaviness leaning over her back this morning. Then again, was it morning? Or was she dreaming again? Opening one eye just a crack, Winter almost screamed. Instead, her shock inverted itself and exploded inwards. Why was there a face right beside hers? Who–wait. Winter closed her eye and breathed. Then she opened both to be sure. Okay. The face was still there. A blurry face. She blinked. Her vision cleared up and it all came back to her.

Karina.

Sleepover.

Right.

Just one sunrise ago, she was still shyly opening her door and showing Karina into her dorm room. The rooms for one were smaller in general, but hers had little extra door space because it was at the end of the corridor. Karina had been all smiles as she entered, wowing at the neatness of her room . . .

“Are you always so neat and tidy?” Karina asked a short moment after entering.

Winter blushed. “No.”

“Really?”

“It was really messy yesterday so I cleaned up a little.”

“You cleaned it up so well.”

“It’s nothing.” Winter bit her lip and tried to change the topic. “The bed isn’t big. I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course I don’t mind. But I really need to sit down.”

“Me too.”

They sat on the bed, side by side, and looked at each other. Then they burst out laughing. Winter didn’t know why she was laughing but she couldn’t stop. They laughed and laughed till they were on their backs and out of breath.

“We’re like two silly kids,” said Karina.

“I’m not a kid.”

“You’re totally a kid.”

“No.”

“What are we going to do next?”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t you think we should wash up and change out of these dirty clothes?”

“Oh. Yeah, we should.”

“Were you thinking of?”

“Huh?”

“You sound like something else is on your mind.”

“I wasn’t thinking about anything.”

Karina giggled. “You’re so cute, Winter.”

Winter sat up and reached for the cupboard at the foot of her bed. She opened it and took a towel out. “This towel is clean. You can use it. And help yourself to my clothes. Pick anything you want.”

“Anything?”

“Anything.”

Karina chuckled. “Any of your plaid shirts?”

Winter nodded. “Yeah, any of them.”

Karina giggled again. “Okay.”

Winter was puzzled but unwilling to ask and find out what Karina thought was so funny. Instead, she tried to stand, but ended up groaning and sitting down again.

“I can’t stand up.”

“Don’t. Just lie back down.”

Winter let Karina pull her back. For a while, she lay there, eyes closed, breathing slowly. She could hear Karina breathing next to her. It was nice and quiet.

Nice . . .

And quiet . . .

“Do you want a massage?”

Winter blinked. “Huh?”

“Your legs. A massage will make you feel better.”

“Uh . . .”

“Shift up.”

Winter did as she was told, watching as Karina sat up and moved down.

“Is it your thighs or calves?” she asked.

“Both,” Winter replied.

Karina winced. “Same.” She patted Winter’s left calf before nudging her. “Lift your leg.”

Once again, Winter did as she was told.

With a smile, Karina adjusted her legs under Winter’s and began kneading with both hands. “Tell me if it hurts too much.”

“It hurts.”

“But is it too much?”

“It’s bearable.”

“Bear with it.”

Winter bit her lip and closed her eyes, feeling Karina’s fingers pressing on her calf and rubbing gently.

“How do you feel now?”

“It hurts but in a good way.”

“That’s how a massage should be.”

Winter smiled. Inviting Karina back to sleep over was a great decision . . .

“Are you awake or are you smiling in your sleep?”

Winter frowned. Somebody was whispering. Who was it?

“Cute baby Winter smiles in her sleep.”

Her eyes opened and met a pair of big, round eyes staring at her. “Oh my gosh, you scared me.”

Karina chuckled. “You’re so cute. Do you know, you were smiling in your sleep.”

“I wasn’t sleeping.”

“Your eyes were closed.”

“I wasn’t sleeping. I’m awake. You were just massaging my leg.”

“Winter, I wasn’t massaging your leg. You must have dreamt it.”

Winter rubbed her eyes and sat up, confusion taking over. She remembered waking up before. Did she fall asleep again? And dreamt about Karina massaging her leg? And smiled while dreaming? And did Karina see all of it?

How embarrassing.

“You’re the absolute cutest baby.”

“I’m not a baby.”

Karina giggled and squished Winter’s cheeks. “Whatever you say, baby.”

“Uh, do you want to use the bathroom first?”

“Are you trying to get rid of me?”

Winter shook her head. “No, I’m not.”

“Okay, I’ll use it first. Don’t disappear while I’m gone.”

“But I need to use the bathroom too.”

Karina laughed. “Yes, yes you do.”

“You saw who going into Taeyeon’s apartment?” Yuri gasped, her jaw falling open.

“I saw who.”

“What time was it?”

“It was after the training session, dummy. That you missed out on seeing because you were sleeping.” Sooyoung rolled her eyes. “Unbelievable.”

“What do you think happened in there?”

Sooyoung shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe it’s big. Maybe it’s small. But something’s up between the two of them. I’m sure about this. My spidey Sooyoung senses are tingling.”

“The last time your senses were tingling, it was because you sat still for too long and got pins and needles in your legs.”

“Shut up, Yuri.”

“I’m just saying . . .”

“My senses are tingling for real this time.”

“If they’re tingling for real, we should ask Taeyeon and find out.”

Sooyoung’s eyes lit up and she leaned forward on her elbows. “Great idea.”

Taeyeon thought she had done something wrong when Sooyoung and Yuri burst into her office and marched over to her desk.

“What’s happening?”

“That’s the question we want to ask you,” Sooyoung replied, sitting on the chair to the left.

“Huh?”

“Yeah, we want to know everything,” said Yuri, sitting on the chair to the right.

“Huh?”

Sooyoung leaned forward, eyes gleaming. “I saw Tiffany going back to your apartment with you yesterday. Why did she go back with you? Did you invite her? Did she invite herself? Are the two of you planning something evil? Did she make you put on the weights again? Tell us everything.”

“There’s nothing to tell.”

“No evil plan hatching?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “Tiffany was worried because I was limping a little so she followed me back to make sure I was okay.”

Sooyoung pouted and slouched back. “That’s disappointing. I thought you two were planning something big for the swim team or something.”

Yuri laughed. “Your spidey senses were tingling, Sooyoung?”

Sooyoung shrugged and stood up. “That’s all the excitement for this morn–”

“Good morning, Taeyeon! Are you feeling better after I massaged you last night?”

All eyes flew to Tiffany at the door and swerved back to Taeyeon at her desk.

“Massage?” Sooyoung and Yuri exclaimed in unison.