'You Owe Me A Hug'

Forget Me Not

♥♥♥♥♥

Namjoo had worn every single article of clothing until she decided on the most comfortable pieces. The long shorts. The pink shirt. Then she’d stepped outside to breathe in some fresh air.

Sehun’s neighborhood was ultra quiet, like she was the only existence this lane. A peek down, a peek forward and no one seemed visible. Suppose all the children were at school. The adults at work, no one dillydallied. Like her.

Namjoo wondered how was it to be like them. Work. Be fully committed to some sort of duty daily, where specific responsibilities were hers alone. What sorts of friends she’d make in the workplace? After their shifts ended would they hang out together?

Imagine having multiple friends…

A bird cawed overhead. Namjoo tilted her head back to face the sun’s glare head on. Flinching she clamped her eyes shut, stunned.

“All right there?” A voice brought her attention to the fore.

Glancing a bit to her left she recognized a figure coming toward her. As he neared his face became sharper, her heart edgier.

An amused half smile rocked his lips up one corner. Namjoo’s heart did a flip.

She remembered that face. It’d stayed like some stain in her head the first time she set eyes on him.

Sunny day it was. She’d escaped home right after Mr. Gong’s lecture. Gone in search of adventure. Some freedom when no one knew the better. Mother just left on a flight. Father on some business trip. He gone for two days straight now. Namjoo was itching to leave the land that was her home.

The yearning for the outside was overwhelming. She was tired of being alone constantly. No one entertained her. All the housekeepers kept their distance. No one was her age. She had no friends.

Namjoo didn’t want to pretend to be a dignified lady in her giant kingdom.

So, she’d left home when Mr. Gong went out for lunch. Be back for before he returned for their history lesson. She promised it. Even timed herself. But that day. It was that day. She’d been walking somewhere down the sidewalk where the cab had dropped her off. Some busy district with a lot of window shops and eateries. The smell of local foods was vicious and she caved, but as she turned someone passed.

Sharp jawline. Cool glazed eyes. Walking in a manly strut. She smelled something good when he whipped past. Forget food. Her eyes glued to his back. Some blazer he was wearing. Dark navy or something. And she noticed his shoulders were magnificently broad.

Dodging oncoming pedestrians Namjoo focused solely on handsome. Until he disappeared inside some shop, so Namjoo followed him. Luckily the line at the wooden counter was short, so Namjoo ended up right behind him.

Her heart thudded the entire two minutes as she observed his raven black hair. It was cut short giving off a sleek and clean appearance. Then he paid and went off to the side to wait for his order offering her full view of his side profile. Namjoo immediately swooned; the sun rising higher and higher in her world.

The palpitating of her heart stampeded inside her chest. Perhaps it was love.

Yes, it had to be love.

Kim Namjoo had fallen in love with a face she couldn’t forget.

And he was here! Miraculously right in front of her!

She mentally keeled over, toppling to the concrete like some limp puppet.

Somehow, she managed to consciously answer, “Yes, I’m all right.”

Face to face and he was even more striking. It had to be a talent to look both youthful and mature at once, because this man was all one package. Every one of her molecules sizzled abnormally the longer she stared, merely soaking in the curve of his lips, the perfect stub of his nose, the dainty cheekbones, and the charming sunset in his eyes.

“Did you just move in?” he glanced behind her.

Namjoo’s mouth hung open as she nodded.

“Then we’re neighbors.” His gummy smile was to die for! “I live in the back corner of the quad.”

“I live here.” She stupidly said.

Realizing she’d just repeated what he’d said she laughed awkwardly. He laughed with her, too.

“I’m Kim Minseok. I work early in the mornings, so if you happen to hear my cuckoo alarm it’s just me. It can be quite loud.”

“I’m Namjoo and I don’t need an alarm.” Shyly giggling she added, “I’ve never needed one, but I’m a deep sleeper, so nothing bothers me.”

His grin grew wider humored by her. Namjoo experienced hot flashes of happiness.

“I should get going. I just came back for a folder. It was nice meeting you, Namjoo.”

“Oh, yea…you, too.” Namjoo mumbled shifting as he passed.

She was so elated! Energetically jumping from foot to foot she yelped excited then swiveled and went back into Sehun’s apartment to scream. Never imagining it would happen this quickly. Finding him! Luck must really be on her side.

At the click of the door, she spun around to find Sehun. As he shook his shoes off, she noticed the bag he was carrying.

“Your shift ended early.” She said.

“Well, we weren’t busy.” Was all he offered coming toward her. He went right over to the counter where he set down the bag.

“What’s that?” Namjoo eyed his buy.

“Do you want it?”

Namjoo debated. She’d done nothing all day when he’d been out toiling. She would feel bad taking his snack away.

“No.”

“Then I’m going to eat it.” He began reaching into the bag.

Namjoo smelled food and instantly regretted. “Wait…I…what is it?”

He snickered at her. “Have it.”

Smugly grinning Namjoo slid toward the counter snatching the sandwich. Unwrapping it she took a giant bite.

“Are you sure you want the job?” Sehun asked.

Blinking she glanced up. “Did you ask?”

“Then get ready for your interview tomorrow.”

“Yes!” She gleefully hopped up and down.

She was going to have a job.

Earn the minimum wage.

She couldn’t wait to become a normal person.

♥♥♥♥♥

By bedtime Sehun decided not to mention anything about seeing Namjoo with her crush. Even if he was the one she’d left home to find. Even if she had asked him to help find this person. Knowing that shouldn’t bother him, but it grievously hung above him.

Still, he’d made the decision not to say anything. Namjoo should be the first to drop the revelation. Her goal had been achieved. She didn’t need him to help her anymore.

Turning onto his side he drew the blanket over his head. Enough. He just had to help her get this job so she’d leave him alone.

In any case he was kind of wrong and kind of right, because as he prepared breakfast at the stove in the morning, she wouldn’t leave him be.

“What should I wear? Is this ok?” Namjoo hobbled to the other side of the counter. Shirt and jeans draped over an arm.

Sehun spared her a quick glance. “Yea, perfect.”

Namjoo disappeared. He was confident she was finally getting dressed. Instead, she hobbled back to the other side of the counter.

“How about this?”

Leggings and a long t-shirt gave him an eyeful.

“Just…wear anything.” Sehun muttered. He needed his dose of caffeine. He hadn’t slept well even when he’d slept an entire night.

“So, is the other one better? Or this one?” Namjoo was still on the other side of the counter when he turned to set their plates.

Did she really need to be doing this to him?

“The other one.” Sehun mumbled hoping she’d get this saga over with.

Bouncing away Sehun sighed, dropped what he was doing, and massaged his forehead. This may or not be the biggest mistake.

On the way to Starry Café Sehun really wanted to wheel Namjoo around and tell her she didn’t need to do this. Work at a coffeeshop? What kind of life was that? A girl like her deserved some better job, even if she had no experience. Nothing to put down on her resume. Wouldn’t her father give her a position in his company?

Families that owned big companies tended to be notorious about keeping the blood alive in family-owned corporations. Would it not be the same for Namjoo?

Too late. They were already there.

Business was not yet open, but being an employee gave Sehun the free privilege of going in and out. Behind the counter Deoksu was diligently setting up the machines and working on stock. The broad man was first to notice them. A lift of the head and then another when he noticed Sehun was not alone.

Something glistened in those deep brown orbs. Cunningly grinning, he welcomed in a loud voice, “Good morning! We’re not quite open. I’m afraid the machines aren’t ready yet.”

If he could always be this kind…

“Is Duho here?” Sehun asked.

“Duho?” he repeated blinking. The usual attitude coming back to life when it came to interacting with his co-workers. “What do you want with Duho?”

Hearing his name the manager appeared in his apron. Wiping his hands on a rag he perked up, “I hear my name?”

Shuffling Namjoo forward, Sehun introduced, “This is Namjoo. We talked about the job yesterday.”

“Oh! Yes, welcome!” Duho brightened on the spot. Reaching his hand out he shook Namjoo’s hand. To Sehun, “You didn’t mention it wasn’t a he.”

Sehun awkwardly smiled.

“Come this way. We can talk in my office.” Duho disappeared with Namjoo around the corner. Sehun only came to when Deoksu hit his arm with a rolled fist.

“What the hell, man?” Deoksu asked. “How’d you snatch a girlfriend like that?”

“She’s not my girlfriend.” Sehun palmed his arm to keep the throbbing at bay.

“Good.” Deoksu seemed to huff making his thick chest grow two times its normal size. “You don’t deserve a pretty girl like that.”

Sehun frowned at him. He swore he’d never done anything to get on Duck’s nerves. The imitation of a pro-wrestler just seemed to like pushing others around in order to maintain his buff personality. Now that Namjoo might be the only female member on their crew, Sehun hoped God would spare him from Deoksu’s antics.

♥♥♥♥♥

Namjoo started training right away. Duho was giving her a chance to show how fast she could learn, how well she could handle the pressure in the workplace, if she could prove herself multitasking from taking orders to making a cup of coffee.

As easy as it had looked on the outside, none of it was what Namjoo imagined on the inside. She’d already dropped a hot paper cup of black coffee. Spilled a small bowl of burnt coffee beans. Even gave out the wrong order to the right person.

She had messed up so horribly and it wasn’t even afternoon rush hour. So flustered when Deoksu helped pick up after her, took the blame from upset customers, and made up for her mistakes.

Namjoo was slightly angry because Sehun was nowhere to help her. She expected he’d be her trainer. That he’d be teaching her how to make a cup of coffee, how to handle the register, and deal with customers, or handle money and hand out correct change. She had thought the customers were lovely people when in fact they were pricky and impatient she honestly wanted to hide in the corner and cry.

“It’s all right. It’s your first day.” Deoksu comforted during a slow hour and she’d gone out to clean up a table.

“It’s not what I expected.” Namjoo told.

“You’ll get the hang of it. If not tomorrow then the next day. If not then then the next week.” He encouraged. “First times are always hard. Don’t be so tough on yourself.”

“Yea? Thanks.” Namjoo smiled. Hearing that made her feel better. When he left, she glanced around for Sehun. It was as if he’d vanished.

Where in the world was he?

She huffed. So he’d ditched her. If he’d gone home without her, she was going be really upset.

The door opened and a group of girls filed in. Hurrying over to the counter Namjoo took their orders. Scrolling through the computer searching for items, adding this, taking out that, substituting regular milk with soy. The many things on the menu was giving her a headache already. She was entirely lost Deoksu had to come help her. And again, she apologized many times for taking up the customers’ valuable time with her lack of knowledge.

A job, she thought, would be something people enjoyed going to everyday. It was something they dedicated their life to. A career choice they took pride in.

But Namjoo was quickly realizing how terribly wrong her built up illusion of what making a living really was like. Not everyone took pleasure in their job. She was already starting to have doubts about working here, with Sehun. Was every workplace like this?

The stress was mounting by the end of her shift. Everything felt bottled up inside her chest. She just wanted to retreat under the covers and pretend she’d never asked about this job. Or come here at all!

Taking off her apron she slung it over the corner of a shelf in the back. By it she saw a note with her name. Some torn piece of receipt paper reading: Namjoo, don’t you think you owe me a hug?

She narrowed her eyes. Read it again.

No name was signed. She searched the quiet coffeeshop. No one was at the counter. On the other side several customers were having hushed conversations, but no one cared about her. Namjoo went back and forth. Saw in the corner office the door was closed.

Traveling further into an intersecting hallway she reached an open arc that led into the baking area. A long wooden table was covered in leftover flour. A giant metal oven was dead, but from where she stood the overdue heatwave brushed over her. She smelled sugar and bread.

Then she felt a breeze. Turning Namjoo peered down the boardwalk hallway. Her shoes thudded loudly in the silence as she neared a steel bolted door. It was left a crack open that sunlight stole through.

Pausing in front of it Namjoo peeked outside. Saw nothing but brick on the other side. Then she heard meowing. Curious, Namjoo grasped the door opening it wider revealing the hump of a green dumpster several yards out. Fat garbage bags were peeking beyond the rim.

A few feet in front of her a figure was crouched. His broad back seemed to expand in the offish blue shirt she’d seen Sehun in that morning. The standard black apron was still tied around his body.

“Is that good?” She heard him softly asking. A meow here and then another one there happily slurred through the air.

“Have the rest.” He gently said.

When he stood Namjoo glanced down at the piece of paper in her hand. Deducing why, but then figuring Sehun had brought her this far. After all, hadn’t he lectured her about having no life skill, no work experience, and nothing eye catching to put down on her resume? She had no clue about anything. Just a girl who’d left home to find a boy. Be normal for that boy.

Actually, Sehun was right and she was wrong. There were many things she still needed to learn. Twenty-one-years-old and she still needed guidance.

But it wouldn’t be from Mr. Gong.

Mom.

Or Dad.

Throwing the door open Namjoo flung herself forward, twining her arms around his body. Sehun stiffened. The cat meowed before scampering off frightened.


***HAHAHA she is so naive

***Idk where I'm going with this story, but I think I have the second half figured out