Continuation

My Korean Neighbor

2 years flew by very quickly, Chaeyoung finally graduated from high school. Being a top student, she was granted scholarship for her bachelor's study in Tokyo University. Knowing that Chaeyoung and Mina were going to go to the same Uni together. Mina's parents thought, it would be a good idea to make Mina and Chaeyoung live together again, like they had always been, so they rented an apartment near the Uni for Mina and Chaeyoung to live in.

Chaeyoung was excited for college. She was excited for this new phase in her life and the challenges ahead of her, but the thing that excited her the most was living with Mina again. Besides, they hadn't discussed about the kiss 2 years ago. Mina always went home during the holiday,  but they somehow never discussed about the kiss. 

Chaeyoung had many expectations for her college life. She really regretted the way she spent her childhood, isolating herself and always studying, doing chores and never playing like kids her age, all because of her stupid mother. She was determined to enjoy her college life. She wanted to make many friends and let loose. Most importantly of course, having fun with Mina. Chaeyoung and Mina spent most of their lives going to the same school, but they always acted like strangers, but this time it was going to be different.

 


After the holiday was over, Mina and Chaeyoung flew together to Tokyo. Chaeyoung was giddy and excited as it was her first flight, well technically it wasn't her first flight, cuz she flew as a baby with her mother from South Korea, only for her mother to abandon her in Japan. 

After about an hour, they arrived in Tokyo. They took a cab to reach their new apartment and quickly noticed that they both would be sharing a room again. 15 years ago, Mina complained about sharing a room with Chaeyoung, but now she actually missed sleeping with Chaeyoung. Sleeping in her bunk bed in her old dorm felt really foreign to her.

 

 


"Onee-san, will you please show me around the city?" Chaeyoung excitedly asked.

"Sorry, Chaeng. I have to go to campus. I'm part of the student council and orientation week for freshman is next week. I have a lot to do." Mina apologized.

"You'll be fine on your own, right?" Mina asked. 

Chaeyoung quickly chirped, "Yeah, of course."

She was actually disappointed, but she understood that Mina was busy. In the end, she travelled around the city on her own. 

 

 

 


First day of college came faster than expected, Chaeyoung didn't want to be the same boring girl she had always been anymore. So, she learned to do make up and be more fashionable, to ensure a smooth college life. She was expecting that she would gain many friends in college.

She came to college looking presentable and smiled a lot to give off a friendly vibe. With her friendly demeanor, she did gain friends. Having friends was realy nice. Having fun, hanging out, partying together, getting drunk together, you name it. She never realized how boring, sad and lonely her life actually had been.

Even though things were going well, something was still missing, Mina. Chaeyoung and Mina studied different subjects so they had different campus buildings. Other than that, Mina and Chaeyoung's schedule never matched, so they never went home together. Mina was part of the student council, cheerleader and on top of that she had to keep up with her studies, so she never had any free time.

Chaeyoung tried to be understanding about Mina's situation, but she just couldn't help but feel disappointed. She was really looking forward to being closer with Mina, but Mina barely had any time for her. Chaeyoung expected that things would be different now that they pathched their relationship up, but things were still like back then, they went to the same school and lived in the same house, yet barely interacted with each other.

 

 

Chaeyoung tried to fill the void by partying and hanging out with her friends. At first, it really helped her forget about Mina, but after a while, she started to get bored. Chaeyoung was really, really craving for some interaction with Mina. She didn't want to admit it, but it made her feel really lonely that her and Mina weren't interacting. even though, she was always surrounded by her friends.

 

 


One day, when she was doing her homework. Mina called her name and her ears quickly perked at it. It had been awhile since they talked to each other.

"Yes?" she responded.

"You know about the basketball competition between our Uni and Keio Uni right?" Mina asked.

"I've heard about it." Chaeyoung replied.

"Well, I hope, you'll be there cheering for our Uni. I'll be with the cheerleaders." Mina told her.

Chaeyoung's face brightened at that. Finally, she had a chance of seeing Mina on Campus. Chaeyoung quickly nodded.

"I'll be there, Onee-san." She chirped.

 


That day came faster than usual. Mina came to the campus earlier for rehearsal with the rest of the cheer leaders. Chaeyoung was whistling while dressing up and doing her makeup. She was really, really excited that day. Moreoever, she had never seen Mina cheerleading ever. The girl must be amazing.

Arriving at the stadium, her friends had reserved a place for her.  She scanned the stadium for Mina and quickly spotted her with the rest of the cheerleaders. It put a smile to her face. Mina looked so passionate and amazing. She was apperently the leader of the cheerleaders. Chaeyoung didn't know about it.

The competition started not long after and Chaeyoung and her friend cheered for their team. They screamed their lungs out until they hurt their throats. Pretty sure, they would lose their voice the next day, but they didn't mind.  Both teams were playing so well, but their team was leading. Chaeyoung noticed that there were lots of girls, holding banners with the same name written and the same picture on them, which she later realized was their team captain. She chuckled at that.

'Simp!' she thought.

 

 

The competition ended with them winning. The team members all hugged each other and lifted up their captain and threw him in the air. Everyone was so happy with their victory. The team captain took the golden cup and kissed it and presented it to the crowd and the crowd cheered even louder. A mic was handed to him to make a speech. 

He accepted it and began his speech, "First off, I'd like to thank every single team member for making time for practice. You guys have worked really hard for this victory and I would also like to thank everyone for cheering for us, especially the cheerleaders. you guys are a great support system for us."

"There is actually someone that motivates me more than any other things. She's the one that gives me strength to go through every practice. This person has the prettiest face and the brightest smile. I've promised myself that if I win, I will confess to this person." He continued.

"So, Myoui Mina, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked. 

Chaeyoung's face fell and her eyes were quickly filled with tears. She quickly fled the stadium, not caring about her friends, who were calling her name. She ran as far as her feet would take her. She saw a bar and quickly entered and started drinking like crazy. 

She had never considered that the reason that Mina never talked about the kiss was because Mina didn't return her feeling. Mina was just being considerate by not mentioning the kiss, because it would get awkward afterward. Why would she assume that Mina would like her back anyway? Had she forgotten that they hated each other for most of their life? 

 

 

The next morning, she woke up in a comfy bed. Her head was pounding and her vision was blurry but she still tried to make sense of where she was. She finally realized that she was in her own bed, but how did she get back here. The last thing she could remember was drinking her life out at the bar.

Then, her eyes laid upon Mina, who was currently studying. Mina hadn't noticed that she had woken up, so she tried to be as quiet as possible as she made way to the bathroom, but was caught red-handed midway.

"Chaeng...." Mina trailed. She sounded really guilty and Chaeyoung knew at that instant that Mina felt bad for her.

Mina was about to say something but Chaeyoung held up her hand to stop Mina.

"I don't wanna hear it!" She intoned.

"It's all my own stupidity! So, let me deal with it myself!" she sternly said then did her business in the bathroom while crying her eyes out. It hurt like hell. How was she supposed to deal with this? They lived in the same house. She could hear soft knocks, so she tried her best to look as presentable as ever, after that she exited the bathroom.

"Chaeng, please hear me out." Mina pleaded.

"Save it!" Chaeyoung shouted. 

She then started packing her bag.

"Chaeng, Where are you going?" Mina panicked.

Chaeyoung didn't answer and continued shoving her clothes into her bag. Mina tried to stop Chaeyoung, but Chaeyoung was stronger.

In the end, Mina screamed, "I didn't accept his confession, Chaeng!"

Chaeyoung was quickly dumbfounded. Why wouldn't Mina accept it? He was every girl's dream guy.

Mina grabbed both of Chaeyoung's hands and held them gently. Her own eyes glistening with tears.

"I'm sorry, Chaeng. I should've made it clear for the both of us. Since you always made the first move, I always waited for you to mention the kiss, or maybe confess to me. I realized that was selfish of me to always expect you to make the first move." Mina apologized.

"So, I'm asking you now, will you be my girlfriend?" Mina asked.

Chaeyoung was speechless. It was too much to take for Chaeyoung. So Mina made the fist move by kissing Chaeyoung on the lips. Chaeyoung was even more shocked, but reciprocated the kiss not long after. They kissed passionately and then broke it off for lack of air.

"You taste like Strawberry and alcohol." Mina giggled. Chaeyoung smiled, revealing her dimples. Mina poked them and chuckled.

"I haven't had much time for you, have I?" Mina asked.

"I'm sorry, I'll make more time for us." Mina added.

"I'll pay more attention to you and I..." Mina rambled but was cutted by Chaeyoung embracing her.

"You don't need to change anything, Mina. You're more than enough for me." Chaeyoung whispered. 

​​​​​