Thank you.

The Art of Letting Go

Seulgi's POV

Yesterday, I received an email from Joohyun, my heart did some somersaults, since we haven't talked for a year. I opened the email and my heart literally sunk as a smirk automatically formed in my mouth.

"Bae Joohyun's Bridal shower."

Every other thing in the invitation blurred out from my view and only the words bridal shower remained.

"I ing knew it." I can't help but curse to myself but Wendy, my best friend and one of our members in our now disbanded girl group, heard it. Yes, we were once all in a kpop girl group named Red Velvet, we were all so close until the disaster of me falling in love with our eldest member happened. Sometimes I wished it didn't happen, that maybe if I didn't acted on my feelings and loved her from afar, maybe we'd still all be together now and not in a silent faction of me and Wendy then Joy, Yeri and Irene, I understand the maknaes though, and we're all still friends, I'm glad they're taking care of our unnie. My thoughts were broken by Wendy who also received her invite already.

"Are you okay?" She said.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" I smiled but I know she knew its as fake as it'll ever be.

"You're not obliged to go Seul, we've disbanded quite a long time ago and..."

"And what? Miss my chance on seeing Irene be finally happy?" I said trying to choke in the tears that are starting to well up in my eyes.

"You know what up to now, I think Irene unnie was so dumb not to entertain you. You could have been the best she ever had." Wendy said as she sigh in frustration.

"Hey, you know unnie has her reasons. She did what she thought was best for us, me and her, but most especially, our group." I answered but I know I don't believe my answer too.

"You really do fukcing love her." Wendy said as she stood up and fixed her self to get a glass of water. It was a sunday and we were playing playstation as it was a rest day for the both of us. 

"Okay, if you must really go and see the love of your life marry someone else, I won't stop you. Maybe its also what you really need to move on. I wont leave your side, at the party." Wendy said while caressing my shoulders as a sign of assurance.

"Awww, that's really sweet, Wendy, tell me, are you perhaps, falling in love with your bestfriend?" I joked and earned a clapping smack in my head from Wendy.

"You know, on second thought, I might just stick with Irene unnie the whole night and let you sulk as you watch and listen to us congratulate and wish her well on her wedding day." Wendy said while swinging the throw pillow at me non-stop.

I caught the throwpillow whille laughing and quipped: "Wendy, I'm a grown woman I've been handling Irene for how many years until she decided to just block me out of her life. Don't worry too much. I'll be fine. And you're right, you should spend time with our members, I'm starting to get really tired of seeing you here at my place every weekend." I said which earned another glare from Wendy. Our conversation got cut when Wendy's phone rang, it was Joy.

"Yeoboseyo." Wendy answered.

"Yeah, I'm at her place, we're playing some video games."

"No, no, I think she's totally fine and still a dickhead."

"I miss you too, and Yeri and Irene unnie. We all should hang out sometimes."

"Of course, she misses you. Here wait up." Wendy said as she gestures me to talk to who she was talking to on her phone.

"Yeboseyo?"

"SEULGI UNNIE!!!"

"Sooyoung-ah, don't shout on the phone. Hahaha."

"I miss you so much unnie."

"Unnie did you get the invite? I'm really sorry, Yeri sent the invites and you were still on Joohyun unnies send all friend list, I should have doubled check. I'm really sorry."

"Why are you apologizing, was I not to be invited? If I'm not then I'd respect it and won't come."

"No. No. No. Unnie, it's just that, you know, I know you're still on the process of moving on."

"I know Sooyoung. But I'm a big girl and I can handle myself. I'll give the phone to Wendy now, I'm about to get annhialated in this game but its worth it because I got to talk to you." Joy laughed, how I missed hearing it in person. "Bye now, I'll see you at the event." I said smiling, and gave back the phone to Wendy, they talked for a bit more until Wendy and I both went back to our game 

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

IRENE POV

"AIGOOOOOO YERIM AAAA WHAT DID YOU DO?!?!"

"I PRESSED CC AND I SENT IT TO ALL UNNIE I DIDN'T KNOW U STILL HAD SEULGI UNNIE IN UR CLOSE FRIENDS LIST." Yerim shouted back as I started to panick.

"AND WHY ARE U PANICKING ITS NOT LIKE SEULGI UNNIE IS GONNA SHOW UP AFTER WHAT U DID TO HER" Yeri added as she put her hands on her waist like an old aunt scolding her niece.

Like a knife that struck me down straight through my heart, Yeri's words made me calm down, after hearing her words I composed myself and pretended like I did nothing wrong.

"I did what I think whats best and was necessary for the both of us at that time." I said calmly as I sat down pretending not to wait if Seulgi will respond to my email.

"Nah, you chickened out unnie. I think its time that you admit that. Besides, you're gonna be married in 3 months so there's no use denying" Yeri said confidently as she sat beside me.

"The are u trying to say??" I asked her baffled. 

"Ugh! Unnie come on! You really want me to say it out loud huh??"

She heaved a sigh and continued.

I stare at her blankly and she shook her head in disbelief.

"Unnie, you and I both know that Seulgi unnie and you, you were never friends, or at the very least just friends."

She paused a bit sat down defeated and reached for my hands, I hear what she's saying, I've always felt different and act different when it comes to Seulgi, at first I thought it was because we've known each other the longest but I guess I was wrong. Seulgi and I were unseparable, we never got tired of each other despite the years we were together, I've spent 16 years of my life having her by my side, I loved her more than anyone I could have my entire life. I still do, but some things are just not meant to be. She was my soulmate. No, scratch that. She is, my soulmate. Always have been and always will be. I sighed as I looked down on my lap where Yeri and I's hands rest.

"Pabo, you think I didn't know that?" I spoke and Yeri's mouth dropped on the floor. 

"I told you she's aware, Seulgi and unnie look a little too much at each others eyes, they'd be dumb if they didn't knew. And I'm not friends with anyone dumb. Except for maybe, unnie sometimes." Joy in as she came out from the comfort room.

"Yah! I'm still your unnie, have some respect."

"I just talked to Wendy unnie and Seulgi unnie, Seulgi unnie seemed fine about it, if you wanna know."

"Hmmm."

"Unnie acts like a baby around Seulgi unnie so much even our managers know, they just kept silent because they wanted the best for all of us." Joy added.

"But Seulgi unnie went through so much pain when you stopped talking to her, I watched her turn into someone she wasn't, that it became painful for me too." Yeri said, suddenly tearing up. 

"What, you think it was easy for me? Just because I kept it together doesn't mean I don't go crazy almost everyday thinking of Seulgi, thinking if I should have been selfish, if I chose her, and not our reputation, my mind goes blank everytime I think about the what ifs." Irene said as she fidget with her fingers. A tear escaped her eye which didn't go unnoticed to both her younger friends. Joy gave her a napkin to wipe her tears and caressed her back.

"You know what, why don't I take you both to dinner. We could all use a little drink with this kind of atmosphere." Joy said trying to lift the air of regret and despair enveloping them right now.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Night of Bae Joohyuns Bridal Shower

"Seulgi unnie!!!" Yeri and Joy shouted as they see Seulgi approaching the reception area. 

"You both look beautiful. I've missed seeing your faces." I said as I was enveloped by Yeri and Joy's hug.

"As you should! You didn't meet us for so long! I only see you when we have promotions and on tv!" Joy crossed her arms and sulked a bit. I was gonna ruffle her hair when she caught my hands. "Yah!! You're not going to ruin my hair!" She said. And I just laughed with Yeri who's still clinging unto my side like a koala. "Where's Wendy unnie?" Joy asked.

"She's just waiting for the valet boy to get our keys." Seulgi smiled, Yeri still clinging unto her and sniffing her a bit, she really did got some of Irene's quirky mannerisms, she's now a grown woman but to Seulgi, Yeri is still the 12 years old kid her and Irene used to take care of.

"WENDY!!!!" Joy shouted at Wendy as if they haven't seen each other since forever. Didn't they met last night for dinner or something. 

"Joy! I missed you more." Wendy smiled widely and latched unto her tall maknae. Joy lifted her up and spun a little bit. Their excitedness for each other was very evident.

"Seulgi unnie, thank you for coming, this will mean a lot for our fans." Yeri smiled and cooed at her unnie like a she's still small.

"Of course I'll come! Irene unnie is getting married, I would regret it if I wont be a part of that." Seulgi smiled at all of them, Yeri held and squeezed her hand and they started walking inside the venue. But of course, since it was Bae Joohyuns bridal shower, there was a red carpet before entrance, the four of them stood and posed for the camera, a live feed was being shown at their youtube channel and unknown to her memebers Irene was watching their whole interaction, holding back tears as one interviewer shouted for Seulgi's name, immediately gaining Irene's attention.

"Seulgi! Who do you think will get married next?" Seulgi laughed at the question and looked at Yeri, while saying "I think its our baby, Kim Yerim". Yeri turned red and playfully punched Seulgi. Another interviewer asked, "Seulgi, what's your message to the bride?" Seulgi smiled but didn't answer right away, Wendy was about to interrupt when Seulgi started speaking, "She knows how much I would love to see her happy, her happiness is my favorite thing in this world, and I hope, with all my heart, that this marriage will give her that. Congratulations on your wedding, Unnie. I can't wait to see you on your wedding day." She smiled and the four of them waved goodbye from the cameras. 

"Seulgi, one last question!" The reporters were eager as this was the first time in a long time that Seulgi was seen with her members. Seulgi looked back to entertain the reporters question.

"Will there be a reunion, perhaps and OT5 comeback?" Seulgi laughed a bit, "That depends on our management but as for me, as for all of us I hope, we all want nothing else but to come back, I'm sure we'd find a way, we always do." Seulgi answered and Irene choked as she wonder if Seulgi really was talking about the whole group. She sighed as she looked in the mirror, "Pabo." She uttered as she stood up and fixed herself, readying to come out.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Inside, a lot of Irene's friends who are mostly all kpop idols too are present. Notably, all the Blackpink members.

"Jisoo." Seulgi tapped Jisoo's shoulder and smiled as Jisoo turned around to give her a hug.

"Seul! Its been a while! Come here!" The two friends hugged and talked until Irene came out from her room and were welcomed by all her friends.

IRENE'S POV

Irene was happy to see everyone but she was anxious about Seulgi's presence, she can't help but notice that Seulgi hasn't said a word to her all night and worse she's been with Jisoo the whole time laughing and being too touchy. She shouldn't be bothered at all because she's getting married for s sake but all she can think about is grabbing Seulgi away from Jisoo and throw a tantrum to which Seulgi will automatically say sorry for and make sure she makes it up to her. But thats no longer the case. 

Time passed until it was time for the party games, Seulgi as usual, lost a game, the consequence of which was to dance to whatever song plays from Irene's playlist. 

"You sure you're okay to do this?" Jisoo asked Seulgi as she knew what happened between the two. 

"Of course, I'll just look at you and not her." Seulgi chuckled a little bit as she stood up from her sit a bit excited because of all the beer she's been drinking.

"Oop, someone's light headed." Wendy stood up and made sure Seulgi gets to the center of the crowd, Irene was sitting on the stage, spotlight was pointed at both of them.

"Are u sure your okay?" Wendy asked Seulgi. 

"Wan its just a dance when am I not okay to dance?" Seulgi gave her a reassuring smile.

Wendy showed a thumbs up to Joy who's hosting the event.

"I think we can all agree that this is the best punishment for one of the best dancers in kpop right??" Joy said as Seulgi's introduction and the girls cheered like fangirls.

"But before anything else, unnie, what's your message for our bride to be?" Joy blurted out the question and when she realized it, it was too late. 

Wendy facepalmed and Jisoo was about to stand up to rescue Seulgi when Seulgi spoke.

"To here." Seulgi simply said.

There was complete silence for a while, Irene was not moving at all, she was staring at Seulgi contemplating what she meant. To distract the people, Yeri decided to press shuffle on Irene's playlist and the song, Pony starts playing.

Seulgi laughed while all the girls cheered. She started dancing, mirroring some of Channing Tatum's dance steps as she goes and its safe to say that everyone was pleased with all the shouting except Irene who was left dumbfounded.

Later that night Seulgi went to their hotel room alone, turning down a couple of invites even one from Jisoo.

"I think I'm gonna sit this one out." Seulgi said as she entered the elevator. 

"Okay, make sure you lock the doors, I won't be gone too long." Wendy said.

"It's okay Wendy, go spend time with our maknaes, they missed you, specially Joy." Seulgi laughed as she noticed her friend blush. 

Seulgi arrived at their floor and was surprised when she saw Joohyun when the elevator door opened.

"Unnie?"

"Seulgi."

"Aren't you staying in the penthouse with your family?"

"Yeah, uhm I do but wanted to see you..." Irene said as she fiddled with her fingers.

"Why? Is there something wrong? Come walk with me." Seulgi answered as they walk to Seulgi and Wendy's room.

"Are they inside?" Irene asked.

"No, just me. They went out. I think the booze downstairs wasn't enough for Joy and Yeri." Seulgi joked to make the air around them a bit lighter.

"So did you enjoy your bridal shower?" Seulgi asked Irene as she opened the door and all the lights possible in their room, she then opened the door to the balcony to let the cold wind in.

"Sit, you want hot choco?" Seulgi asked Irene.

"If you're having one, then yes please." Irene sat at the balcony trying to understand why she's there talking with Seulgi. 

"Unnie, here's yours." Seulgi gave Irene her hot choco and sat beside her. 

They sipped their drinks in silence until Irene spoke.

"How are you so calm about this?"

"What do you mean?"

"The Seulgi I know would be angry and upset, jealous even. You would have thrown the biggest fit ever. I couldn't even begin to imagine how you would react."

"Unnie, that was a year ago, that isn't me anymore."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? You left me no choice. I had to adapt to the pain." Seulgi chuckled but her voice cracked.

Seulgi put her chocolate down.

"I was so mad and frustrated, but you weren't talking to me so I bottled everything up unti I became calm about it."

"I don't know what to say." Irene spoke.

"We were okay, we were even progressing. We were both trying, both adjusting, but then you just stopped. You stopped talking to me. You pretended like I didn't exist. At first I was hurt, until now I'm hurt. Because you know, before you were Irene to me, you were my Unnie, we were friends. But I guess you made a choice, it just didn't include me."

"So you understood?" Irene asked her head hunged low.

"I ing don't." Seulgi chukcled. A chuckle too familiar to Irene, the one Seulgi does when she's so frustrated all she can do is laugh about it.

"I still haven't if u'd ask me. Im sitting here wondering what the hell are you doing in my balcony when you're completely aware that I am in love with you but you were okay not talking to me and shutting me out for a year. So I guess my feelings doesn't really bother you." Seulgi paused.

"Seul" Irene tried speaking but Seulgi interrupted her.

"You don't have to unnie. What you did to me made me realize that people can make their own choices, and sometimes that includes hurting other people, in your case I just happen to be your collateral damage."

"Seulgi, you know you're more than that." Irene looked at Seulgi who just smiled at her.

"Irene, you don't have to say anything you don't mean. I've made peace with it. All I want is for you to be able to find what makes you happy." Seulgi smiled even more at Irene.

Irene looked away. 

"Unnie, its getting late, I still have a shoot for tomorrow. I missed our talks but I still need to get up early, I should walk you to your room." Seulgi stood up but Irene was motionless. Seulgi sat in front of her and saw that tears are falling from Irene's eyes non-stop. Seulgi cupped Irenes face, wiped some of Irene's tears and tucked the hair covering her face behind her ears. 

"Hey, you're really breaking my heart now. Come on unnie, you know how much I hate seeing you cry." Seulgi said trying to lift Irene's face up. 

"Before I go, can I ask you one more question?" Irene said.

"If u promise me a smile after." Seulgi said.

"Okay."

"What did you mean when you said "To here."?" Irene asked Seulgi.

Seulgi smiled and kneeled completely in front of Irene and took her hands.

"Remember about 8 years ago, when we did our first sub-unit and the reporters asked us until when do we think we're going to be able love each other?" Seulgi asked.

Irene nodded.

"You remember what I answered?" Seulgi continued.

Irene paused for a bit trying to remember Seulgi's answer, she spoke after a moment...

"From here..."

Seulgi kissed Irene's forehead and let go of her hands.

"To here."

Seulgi stood up, got a jacket and draped it over Irene.

"Come on, I'll walk you to your room."

- End - 

 

 

?