Frustrations

Frustrations

Kim Yongsun and Jung Wheein are going into their fifth year of marriage.

Everything has been smooth sailing for them. Even after all these years, Yongsun still finds Wheein cute and Wheein still worships her goddess wife.

But just like any other relationships, it is not always a bed of roses. When you love too much, there will be conflicts and arguments.

Nobody can escape that.

 

Yongsun is a doctor and Wheein is as a curator.

Both of them have always been busy with work, but the recent pandemic makes them even busier, especially Yongsun.

This virus that has killed millions around the world is a threat to everyone, including the people trying to keep the masses alive.

As a doctor, Yongsun is one of the front-liners, which means she is constantly in danger of contracting the deadly virus and Wheein is constantly worried about her wife because of this.

Wheein’s worries are momentarily soothed whenever Yongsun takes what free time she has to contact Wheein via text or video call. However, after days of spending her nights alone, Wheein can feel the loneliness slowly taking a toll on her. Even the video calls and texts from Yongsun are not enough for her anymore - Wheein needs her wife there with her physically.

Especially with their fifth anniversary coming up.

 

One night, Yongsun finally comes home.

Wheein is ecstatic when she spots Yongsun’s car coming into their porch. She assumes that Yongsun remembers their anniversary and had taken leave to be with her. Unable to keep her excitement in, Wheein runs out of the house, ready to greet her wife.

Yongsun steps out of the car, looking exhausted, but the smile on her face is still as sweet as Wheein remembered.

But before Wheein could run up to her wife, Yongsun holds out a hand to stop her.

“No baby, stay there!”

Wheein stops in her tracks, pouting.

“It’s been two weeks since we last seen each other and now I can’t even hug you? Don’t you even miss me, Kim Yongsun?!”

“Of course I miss you! But I just got back from the hospital. I need to get rid of these clothes and take a shower. Is that okay?”

Wheein sighs. “Okay…”

 

Wheein leans against the door to the laundry room, silently watching as Yongsun loads her clothes into the washing machine.

Her hands were itching to touch every inch of Yongsun’s exposed skin, but she keeps her arms folded tightly against her chest, respecting Yongsun’s wishes.

But Wheein can’t help the curiosity bubbling up inside her.

“Yong, do you remember what event is happening this weekend?”

“Hm?” Yongsun replies distractedly. “I don’t know, baby. What’s happening this weekend?”

Wheein can’t believe her ears. Kim Yongsun forgot their anniversary! She scoffs and shakes her head, completely speechless.

Yongsun notices the lack of reply and looks over at Wheein. “Baby? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Wheein smiles, but her eyes are not, “it’s just that you’re sleeping on the couch tonight.”

“Wait what? Baby? Baby!”

But Wheein is already long gone.

 

Yongsun stands in the middle of the living room, staring at the folded blanket and her favourite pillow sitting neatly on one side of the couch.

Yongsun looks at Wheein who has been moving about the kitchen, completely ignoring Yongsun

“Are you seriously making me sleep on the couch?”

“Yes,” Wheein replies nonchalantly, “enjoy your first night back, baby.”

Yongsun opens and closes it again as she watches Wheein sashays her way towards their upstairs bedroom.

It is not the first time Yongsun has been rendered speechless by her dear wife – usually it’s for a ier reason – but this time, she cannot fathom what she did so wrong that she was relegated to sleeping on the couch.

But Yongsun is too exhausted to fight Wheein on this.

She plops down on the couch and sighs, expecting a violent headache coming.

She had expected tonight to be different – she had hoped she is in bed, making passionate love with her beautiful wife and cuddling afterwards, before delivering the happy news.

After years of marriage, it seems natural for them to consider starting a family. The two women have been toying with the idea to have a child to complete their lives. But they can’t seem to agree whether they want to be pregnant with a baby or to adopt.

Wheein is for adoption. She can’t bear the idea of getting pregnant or putting her wife through that kind of hardship.

Yongsun, on the other hand, wants to be pregnant. She wants to carry her own child. To persuade Wheein further, Yongsun had suggested surrogacy. She wants to take Wheein’s eggs and fertilize it with a donor’s . Then, the fertilize egg will be placed inside Yongsun’s womb. In short, Yongsun will be carrying Wheein’s baby inside her. Wheein reluctantly agreed.

But after three years of trying with no results, they were ready to give up.

Until a few days ago.

Yongsun has been feeling lethargic and sometimes nauseous. At first, she was terrified. She thought she might be infected with the deadly virus.

But it was something else.

“Congratulations, Dr. Kim! You’re pregnant!”

Yongsun was reeling with happiness. She had requested for one month leave to make sure she makes it safely through the first trimester. Thankfully, her request was granted since the situation at the hospital is steadily improving and she had hurried home, eager to break the news to Wheein.

But then this happened.

Yongsun sighs again, the headache she had predicted making an appearance.

“I’ll make up with your mommy tomorrow, little one,” Yongsun whispers as she rubs her growing belly, “let’s get through tonight without waking me up, okay?”

Yongsun grabs her pillow and throws the blanket over herself. It’s a very uncomfortable situation to sleep in, but Yongsun is too tired to care and soon, she drifts off to sleep.

 

Thankfully, the baby is understanding and Yongsun sleeps well into the night and wakes up just before dawn.

She hears the clanging in the kitchen and knows that Wheein is awake and preparing breakfast. Even when they were fighting, Wheein never forgets to feed Yongsun.

Yongsun sits up and stares at Wheein’s petite frame from behind.

She is trying to think how to approach Wheein and when is the right time. She doesn’t want them to fight for too long because…

An image of an old day flashes through her mind and Yongsun’s heart ache as she remembers the events from a few days ago.

The old lady was the mother of her close friend. She was admitted into the hospital after being infected with the virus. Her friend had begged Yongsun to save her mother. But before Yongsun could do anything, the old lady went into a coma and was hooked to a ventilator, to help her breathe. At that point, Yongsun didn’t like the chance of the mother surviving this, but still she tried the best she can to help her fight the virus.

But God loved her more.

For the first time since the pandemic hits, Yongsun cried. Compared to the patients she had watched recover or those who had died during her watch, this one hit home hard – she knew this person and she was like a mother to Yongsun. Yongsun’s hands were trembling when she made the video call to her friend, informing her of her mother’s death; they had both cried.

“I regret getting into that huge fight with her,” her friend had confessed, “now I can never make up with her again.”

Feeling sorry for her friend because the protocol dictates that the body of the infected cannot be claimed by the family, Yongsun personally made sure the mother was properly taken care of.

When she was informed that her one-month leave was approved, Yongsun doesn’t hesitate to leave the hospital behind. She is currently not in the right state to handle anymore deaths and she has her baby to think of. Plus, she misses Wheein.

That’s why, this fight with Wheein is upsetting Yongsun more than usual. She doesn’t want to get into pointless fights and end up like her friend and her mother.

Yongsun finally makes up her mind.

 

Wheein has finished preparing breakfast and is now cleaning up in the kitchen, waiting for the water to boil.

Suddenly, she feels two strong arms enveloping her waist from behind.

“I’m sorry,” Yongsun’s voice whispers in her ear, “I don’t want to fight anymore, Wheein-ah…”

Wheein keeps quiet and continues with her work. When Wheein is upset, her silence can really kill.

Yongsun tries again. “So, um, I have this friend who has just lost her mother. I know it’s not unusual during this pandemic, but it hits me the hardest because they were people I knew. And the worst part is? They were fighting up to the last minute,” Yongsun takes a deep breath, “I don’t want that to be us, baby.”

Wheein sighs. She can only imagine what that must be like for a mother and child – let alone two wives. She turns around in Yongsun’s embrace and cups her face with both hands.

“I don’t want that either,” Wheein runs her thumbs along Yongsun’s cheekbones and smiles softly, “but can you blame me? You forgot about our anniversary, Yong…”

Yongsun’s eyes widen. “Oh.”

Wheein smirks. “Yes. ‘Oh’.”

“Does telling you a super happy news make up for me forgetting?”

“That depends…” Wheein narrows her eyes, “…what’s the happy news?”

Yongsun grins and twirls Wheein around, eliciting surprise squeals out of her. “My dear lovely wife, Jung Wheein…we are having a baby!”

Wheein’s mouth drops. She searches Yongsun’s face for the lie – there is none; there is only pure happiness in Yongsun’s eyes and face.

“Oh my god, baby!” Wheein throws her arms around Yongsun’s neck and laughs. “We did it! We’re going to have a baby!”

“Yes, we are!”

They share a long and slow kiss, giggling and whispering their love to each other. Wheein touches Yongsun’s growing belly and her heart swells with excitement.

They are both eager to start the new chapter in their life.