A proposal

Maybe I Need You

Johnny was stressed beyond what is considered as normal and Ten,  his best friend, was not going to have it and Doyoung, his personal assistant agreed that he needed help. Johnny raised a brow because his best friend and his assistant were at each other’s throats almost every single waking hour.

 

“You’re actually agreeing to Ten?” Johnny asked and Doyoung nodded. “I may have gone insane.” Johnny shook his head in disbelief.

 

‘Look, Johnyn hyung, we may have been into a friendly civil war since we met but we are not enemies.” Doyoung sighed and handed him a card. “Just visit this center, it can do you good. Both Ten and I have been there for completely different reasons and I must say it is very helpful in coping.” Doyoung informed him.

 

“It’s not bad to at least try, seriously.” Ten added. “With your state, you really need help.” Ten summed up and Johnny rubbed his forehead.

 

‘I am fine.” Johnny insisted.

 

“We know that you are not.” Doyoung was concerned, genuine and without malice.

 

“I’ll try to drop by.” Johnny said and the two smiled at him and sighed in relief.

 

You see, Johnny has been used to taking care of others; being one of the eldest in their friend group, he was bound to take care of those younger than him, took note of their quirks and assisted them in whatever he can. He was a caring person, having grown into a family that both parents doted on him despite working long hours for a company to grow into the success that it is today.

 

 

Johnny looked at his empty apartment and really, he was feeling lonely and all those blind date set up by his family and friends were not really helping him find a potential partner and were not alleviating any of the worries that was simmering inside his head.  He took out the card and looked at the details, a therapist name was printed and it looked safe to drop by if both Doyoung and Ten recommend it to him.

 

Johnny stepped out of his SUV and looked at the building in front of him. It looked like a normal community center with a day care; a lot of pastels and fluffy stuff were displayed in one of the windows that Johnny passed by. Johnny’s eye caught a particular fluffy stuffed bear and his head was a bit hurting; that was odd.

 

As he entered the reception, a staff greeted him warmly to which he responded with a smile of his own. He handed the business card and the staff flipped through a logsheet to check something before writing down a number on the card and handed it back to Johnny.

 

“he’s in this room, the door is bright orange, you won’t miss it!” She was cheerful and Johnny chuckled, oh this must be a fun place if the staff is  excited at eight o’clock on a Saturday morning.

 

Johnny walked down the corridor and just as the staff informed him, the door was a bright orange. He knocked on the door and he heard a soft voice asking him to enter. Johnny did not expect what he saw beyond the door because for one, he thought of a stereotypical psychologist in a worn vest sat on a leather chair and specs sitting on the bridge of his nose and two, the room would be dark and old like those in movies.

 

What greeted him though was a soft looking man, probably a few years younger than him, wearing the softest looking sweater and a cute pair of glasses framed his face. The room was bright but felt warm and cozy, and there was a soft looking sofa to sit on with the Three Bare Bears propped  up.

 

“Dr. Qian Kun?” Johnny asked and the man nodded with a smile.

 

“That would be me, come in and make yourself comfortable.” Kun replied and Johnny allowed himself inside and sat on the sofa, carefully removing Grizz and placing it next to Panpan. ‘May I know your name?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

“It’s John Suh.” Johnny introduced himself and Kun nodded. “My friends, Ten and Doyoung recommended you.” Johnny added and Kun blinked at him then smiled.

 

“Of course the terrible two would recommend me.” Kun laughed and that was like hearing a choir of angels, wow, Johnny loved the sound Kun was making. “Did they give you specific details why they recommended me?” Kun asked and Johnny shook his head.

 

“They just handed me your card and told me to visit you. They were worried about my stress levels.” Johnny shrugged his shoulders and Kun understood.

 

“Have you been stressed out lately Mr. Suh?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

‘oh please Dr. Qian, just Johnny. Mr Suh sounds like my dad. I love my dad but yeah, that’s a little too old for my liking.” Johnny replied making Kun laugh once more.

 

“My Apologies Johnny.” Kun bowed his head a bit. “Then just call me Kun.” He added and Johnny nodded. “So, shall we properly start?” Kun asked and Johnny nodded.

 

 

Johnny gaped at the information Kun was spitting out, little space? That is a thing?

 

“Age regression?” Johnny repeated and Kun nodded.

 

“It can be voluntary or involuntary, and can be triggered at any time.” Kun explained. “It’s one of the techniques we do imply for some cases where we allow a person go back to a younger age that is more comfortable and peaceful to let the mind rest and relieve the stress.” Kun explained further.

 

“So like, being a kid again?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded.

 

“You are getting it.” Kun smiled at him. “Of course we could apply other techniques.” Kun suggested.

 

“Can I make a phone call really quick?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded and gestured that he could step out for privacy but Johnny shook his head.

 

He dialed Ten’s number and when the line was connected, an unfamiliar face greeted his face time. “Uhm, sorry to bother but I am looking for Ten?” Johnny said, not too sure if this is a good time.

 

 

“Oh, Ten is currently in his little space.” The man answered “Come here qinqin, your friend is looking for you!” The man called out Ten and his friend appeared on the screen wearing the fluffiest cat pajamas and holding a sippy cup.

 

“Hi dwanie!” Ten waved at him and Johnny’s mouth gaped.

 

“Is he acting?” Johnny asked and the man shook his head.

 

“Oh no he’s not. How old are you qinqin?” The man asked and Ten raised two of his finger.

 

“Hello qinqin!” Kun sat next to Johnny and upon hearing and seeing Kun, the little’s eyes sparkled and squealed in delight.

 

‘KunKun!” Ten giggled and Kun chuckled and waved at him.

 

“Oh, You’re with Kun ge!” the man chirped and Kun nodded. “Well I gotta prepare qinqin’s sippy cup.” The man said and waved goodbye.

 

“Uhm what was that?” Johnny asked and Kun stood and went back to his chair.

 

“Ten hasn’t mentioned it to you huh? He’s a little and he needed to regress from time to time. His boyfriend, that’s Sicheng you just spoke too, had actually introduced us.” Kun explained.

 

“oh, he never mentioned that he has a boyfriend.” Johnny replied.

 

“it’s fairly new, I am sure Ten would want to let the relationship settle down before he does the customary introductions, getting them together was a pain.” Kun rubbed his temple at the memory. “but that was a story for another day.” Kun loked at Johnny who was gaping like a fish.

 

“Ten has a big exhibit coming up and he’s been stressed about it.” Johnny confided and Kun nodded in understanding. “Does he regress to cope with the stress?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded.

 

“Yes, more now that the exhibit date is getting nearer.” Kun replied.

 

 

“So.. this regression.. does it really work?” Johnny asked, skeptical because he can’t fully grasp the idea.

 

“Why don’t we try? Let’s see if it works for you?” Kun suggested and Johnny nodded.

 

“Can I choose an age?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded.

 

“Yes of course. You can choose an age that you are most comfortable with. Based on experience, the typical age would be around 3 to 6 years old. If the stress is too much, some goes further back to a few months since the brain usually is void of tangible thoughts at that age period.” Kun explained and Johnny nodded.

 

“Ok, I guess I am ready. Yeah. I think I know an age I would want to regress to.” Johnny said and Kun nodded.

 

“Since this is an involuntary regression, I will do a hypnosis so you can let your mind relax and settle to that specific age okay?’ Kun asked and Johnny nodded. “now close your eyes and lean back. Relax for me Johnny.” Kun said and Johnny did as he was told. ‘Listen to my voice okay, listen carefully.” Kun said and Johnny focused on the melodious voice.

 

 

“Hello?” Kun asked and Johnny blinked at him then pouted.

 

“Nwot twalkign two stwangers.” Johnny humphed  and Kun shook his head while he chuckled.

 

“Sorry for not introducing myself, I am Kun!” Kun offered a hand and Johnny looked at it and then pouted.

 

“Dwo I know you mwister?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded.

 

 

“I am your caregiver!” Kun chirped and Johnny’s brows furrowed.

 

“Dwaycware?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded.

 

“Yes!” kun’s voice was bright and cheerful.

 

“Cwan I gewt mishtwer bwear?” Johnny asked and Kun cocked his head to the side then smiled as it dawned on him.

 

“Yeah, but I need to know your name baby boy!” kun said and Johnyn perked up when he was called that.

 

“I awm Jwani!” Johnny replied. “I’m Two!” Johnny raised two fingers and Kun patted his head and offered his hand.

 

‘Let’s get mr. Bear?” Kun asked and Johnyn nodded happily and went out the room holding Kun’s hand.

 

 

They went into he play area Johnny passed by earlier and upon seeing the fluffy bear, Johnny ran and grabbed it. He then hugged it and then sat down to play with it. Kun chuckled as he sat next to Johnny, observing the little and guiding him as he played with the toys.

 

 

“How was the experience?” Kun asked as he brought Johnny back to his big space.

 

Johnny took some time and then looked at Kun. “I never imagined that.” He sighed then smiled at Kun. “that was actually helpful, I feel a little better now.” Johnny replied and Kun smiled at him.    

 

“I am very glad to hear that.” Kun answered.

 

“So what to do after this?” Johnny asked and Kun hummed before he answered.

 

“it depends on how you want to schedule it.” Kun handed him the notes he took earlier. “you should read this and think about it, do you want to have a regular schedule or you may want to do it just when you feel stressed. We could work out an assisted session before we can move you to being an independent little.” Kun explained and Johnny nodded. “it helps if you keep a journal so you can record your emotions, what happened that day, what triggers it, what made you happy or sad, what did you like or did.” Kun enumerated.

 

‘oh, that’s a lot to think,uhm can I meet you again next week? To settle this?” Johnny asked and Kun nodded. “How much is the fee?” Johnny asked and Kun shook his head.

 

“This is a non-profit organization helping the community and I am a volunteer.” Kun explained.

 

“There must be something I could do? Donation?” Johnny asked and Kun sighed.

 

‘if you must insist, you can as Heara at the reception for the donations.” Kun smiled at him.

 

‘I’ll do that. Thank you Kun.” Johnny said and excused himself.

 

 

 

---

 

 

When Johnny re Monday, Doyoung was already asking him if he went to meet Kun while placing his usual brew. Johnny eyed him and Doyoung was too happy on a Monday morning.

 

“Yeah, so you regress too Doyoung?” Johnny asked and Doyougn shook his head.

 

‘I’m a care giver, Kun helped me with my boyfriend.” Doyoung replied and Johnny gaped at him because he knew for a fact who that boyfriend is. “Yes, Jaehyun is a little, working in finance has gotten to him and when I saw him breaking down and talking in gibberish, I knew something was wrong.” Doyoung sighed. “Jaehyun is a capable man, but sometimes, he needs to be taken care of, and being little allows me to that to him.” Doyoung finished and Johnny nodded.

 

“Yah, I understand. I kind of feel the same come to think of it. Was it your caregiver instinct Doie?” Johnny asked and the younger nodded.

 

“yeah. Kinda saw the symptoms.” Doyoung said.

 

“you both went to Kun? Ten and You?” Johnyn asked and Doyoung nodded.

 

“Contrary to popular belief, Ten and I go  way back when we took that Psych 101, we met Kun there and I quote Ten ‘The hot nerd who doesn’t really know he’s hot’” Doyoung told Johnny and somehow, Johnny did not find that an anomaly knowing Ten.

 

“Well thank you, I guess I needed that push.” Johnny said and Doyoung smiled at him.

 

“If you ever have any questions or you need help, you can ask us okay hyung?” Doyoung asked and Johnny nodded.

 

“Thank you Doie.” Johnny beamed him a smile which the assistant returned before walking out of the office.

 

 

---

 

 

Johnny thought about the notes that was given to him and Kun was meticulous when it came to what Johnny did when he was a little, what he liked and did not like, what made him happy or sad and even his inner most thought blurted out because a two year old just doesn’t have a filter when it comes to speaking.

 

 

“Hello?” Kun’s voice was soothing and Johnny found himself smiling.

 

‘Hello Kun, this is Johnny.” Johnyn introduced himself.

 

“Ah, yes Johnny, how can I help you?” Kun asked and Johnny took a deep breath before he spoke.

 

“Can you help me prepare my things? Like help me pick out stuff for my regression?” Johnny asked and it was silent on the other line making Johnny a little nervous.

 

‘Sure, how’s Saturday afternoon works for you?” Kun asked and a smile bloom on Johnny’s face.

 

 

“Yeah, that sounds great. Should I pick you up at the center?” Johnny asked.

 

“Oh no, I have a car. Let’s meet at the department store?” Kun asked back and Johnny was more than happy to meet him there.

 

“it’s settled. See you Kun.” Johnny bid his goodbye and there was a certain excitement that thrummed inside him. He is already looking forward to Saturday.

 

 

---

 

a/n: Let me know if you want to continue this mini series