Up All Night

Up All Night

 

 

 

 

Felix jumped when someone suddenly messed with the front door’s lock. He blinked, then quickly glanced at the clock at the bottom of his second computer screen. 4:37 AM. Again. Oops.

 

It can’t be that late already? He thought to himself as he watched Chan quietly shut and relock the door behind him, trying not to wake anyone up (even though he knew that someone ought to be awake anyways. This dorm has terrible sleeping habits. He should make note to mention that during their next meeting. But hey, it’s not like he’s a good example either.) 

 

« Hyung, welcome back, » Felix called out, semi-whispered, from his desk.

 

« Oh, hi Felix. Thanks. Did I wake you up? » Chan asked on the same tone, toeing out of his shoes and unceremoniously kicking them aside. 

 

« Na, don’t worry. I was just playing Fortnite. I didn’t see how late it was. » he reassured, blinking tiredly. « I got carried away when I won 4 games in a row. »

 

« Good on ya’! But you shouldn’t play so much. You’ll end up needing glasses. » 

 

« Yeah, I know. Sorry. » Felix yawned. « The same applies to you, y’know? You’ll burn our eyes out looking at the mixing program so much. »

 

« Hah. I guess you’re right. » Chan replied, also yawning. « I’m going to shower. » and on that, he slipped out of his leather jacket, carelessly throwing it on the nearest sofa’s armrest.

 

Unbothered by the interruption, Felix started a new game. He played lazily, knowing his focus was already lost when he was surprised by Chan’s arrival. 

 

Minutes passed, filled with the noise of a clicking mouse, the quick hit of keyboard buttons and streaming water from the shower. Then, from the corner of his eye, Felix saw Chan, fluffy clean in his pyjamas, walk behind him and sit on the bed, looking curiously, yet tiredly over his shoulder at the ongoing game. Quickly glancing at Chan from the corner of his eyes, Felix noticed the unusual look on the elder’s face. 

 

« Everything alright? » he inquired while trying to find a safe hiding spot in his game.

 

« Yeah. » Chan answered, voice not louder than a whisper, as if the shower he just took had drained out every last bit of his energy. And then, after a few seconds, he let himself fall on his back on Felix’s bed and added, sighing. « Not really. » 

 

Felix didn’t bother with his game anymore when Chan’s last answer reached him and left him slightly alarmed. He dropped his gaming earphones on his desk, spun around on his office chair, finally took a good complete look at his hyung’s composure. Flat on his back on the bed, foot on the floor, elbow over his eyes, this was without the shadow of a doubt one of these days. 

 

« When is the last time you slept, hyung? » Felix asked, frowning.

 

« I don’t know » Chan replied, using the arm hiding his eyes to push himself into a half-sitting position in order to face Felix while speaking. « The day before yesterday, maybe? »

 

« Were you at your work room the whole day? Is this why we didn’t see you for a while? You were already gone before breakfast this morning. »

 

« Yeah. I couldn’t sleep, so instead of wasting time, I headed over there. »

 

Still frowning, Felix stood up and took the two steps needed to reach his own bed. « That won’t do, hyung. I’m worried. It’s the second time it’s happened this month, » he said, pulling up and pushing Chan’s feet on the bed so he was laying correctly, head on the pillow. Then he climbed over his legs in order to lay beside him on the other side of the bed. 

 

«  I know. » Chan said, eyes fixed on the ceiling. Then, looking at Felix, he went on. « I… I’ve been having these dreams again. »

 

« Wanna talk about it? »

 

« Not really. There’s nothing to say. I guess I just miss my parents, that’s all. »

 

And really, there was nothing to say. Not when they were busy head over heels with preparation for the upcoming promotion. Not when he was known for his history with insomnia. Not when these feelings of homesickness washed over his consciousness so deep they even reached his dreams. Not when he was so damn stressed that even if he was crumbling from exhaustion, his eyes refused to stay shut and his legs wouldn’t stop wiggling on their own. 

 

They both knew there was no magical solution to this peculiar situation. No trick, no bypass. Though, the experience could be made a little more tolerable. 

 

« Come here » Felix ordered, moving closer so he could big spoon with one arm wrapped around Chan’s chest and the other over their heads, fingers playing with the fluffy strands of hair on top of Chan’s head. « There, all comfy~ »

 

They laid like this for a while, each lost in their own thoughts, lulled by the constant humming of the fridge and the muffled breathing of the other members fast asleep in their respective rooms. Cuddling like that, Chan’s arm over Felix’s, their fingers entwined, warm, made Felix sleepy. He couldn’t help but yawn over the top of Chan’s head, shaking his own head faintly in an attempt to stay awake while his brother needed his support. The other, previously comfortably quiet, chose this moment to speak.

 

« Do you remember this beach in Australia where people go surfing? » Felix could hear in Chan’s voice that the despair from earlier was slowly vanishing, replaced with a heavy pang of nostalgia.  

 

« Oh, this one? Yes I used to go there with my friends during holidays. The one with the tiny shops a little higher on the street? »

 

« Yes. This one. I used to go there with my father. We tried surfing once. »

 

« You did, huh? I bet you did, it sounds just like your father to want to try this. »

 

« I guess it truly does, » Chan chuckled featherly.  « We were very bad though, he went on. I don’t think I’ll be riding a board anytime soon. I drank so much sea water that day. »

 

« Yummy! Salty water~ » Felix cooed, and Chan chuckled again. « Maybe when we go back, we can convince the staff to book us some lessons with the others. I bet Binnie would be up to the challenge. »

 

« Oh he definitely would be… but I bet Minho would beat him and then we wouldn’t hear the end of it. »

 

« Right?! » Felix agreed. « Then I guess it’s better not to, then. For everyone’s mental health. » They laughed quietly, were silent for a minute. « Should we make curry rice for breakfast? I mean, for lunch, since I doubt you’ll be awake before 12. » 

 

« Hmm. That’d be nice. It’s a great idea, Felix. » Chan hummed in agreement. « Although, in order to wake up, I have to fall asleep. That’s the trickiest part, » he concluded bitterly. 

 

« Don’t worry, we’ll get there. I’ll lullaby you if needed~ » Felix reassured, momentarily hugging him a little more tightly. 

 

« Hmm… I heard some music the whole day. Maybe it’s better to try something else so I can change my mind…I heard some people use ASMR to help them fall asleep. It’s been a long time since you filmed any. Do you have a new project in mind already? »

 

« I didn’t really think about it. D’you have any suggestions? » 

 

« Not really? But I guess you could just talk to me right now. Doesn’t have to be coherent things. I just don’t want to remember the upcoming schedules. Tell me about the Fortnite games you won earlier. »

 

And so, as requested, Felix did just that. In his most quiet voice, fingers still lazily twisting Chan’s hair, he told him in detail how he managed to win 4 games in a row. And although Chan never played Fortnite, he had to admit that it might be an interesting game if Felix, as positive as he was, could talk about it for so long. 

 

Felix didn’t notice immediately, but as he reached the end of the 3rd game’s resumé, Chan’s breathing finally started to get slower, deeper. His grip on the hand around his chest loosened until it slipped altogether. 

 

That’s when Felix understood that it was working. So he went on with his story, knowing full well that if he stopped talking too abruptly, it would wake Chan up due to the sudden and unexpected absence of noise. 

 

Eventually, he grew tired of speaking, and his eyes, previously a little scratchy, became watery. He yawned. Then, as slowly as possible, he pulled up some blankets and covered up Chan so he wouldn’t get cold when he’d stop spooning. By that time, Chan had gone under a long time ago. 

 

« Good night, hyung. Sleep tight. » he finished, rolling onto his back, falling asleep too, almost immediately.

 

 

 

___________________________________________

It's been 4 years since my last official oneshot, yay. (I posted somethign 2 years ago, but it was written a long time ago...) Please comment and tell me how I could ameliorate this! Thanks, STAY <3