Chapter 01

I'll hold your hand (Maybe)

                    Chapter 01. 





Soojin walked into the kitchen silently and leaned against the doorframe as she watched Shuhua move across the kitchen, cutting ingredients for tonight's dinner with this focused look on her face as she placed everything into the pan before moving to something else. 

 

For the past six years she has been cooking for her little wolf, Anything she wants, from Tteokbokki to Seaweed soup, she watched her grow from the quiet kid who kept everything to herself to the brave woman who stands up for herself; Shuhua no longer needed Soojin to tell her how to pronounce words or to cook for her, she learned those on her own after hard work. She was grown now, and could handle things on her own. 

 

She doesn't need me anymore. Soojin thought as she kept watching the girl, Shuhua was now tasting the food she made, frowning before putting more salt in it and Soojin? Soojin just watched her, admired her, memorized her. Like it was the last time.

 

and it was, even if the little wolf didn't know yet. 

 

"Ah!" She snapped out of her thoughts at the other's scream, Shuhua was looking at her, startled. "Why are you standing there without saying anything? You scared me, Unnie!" She complained, putting the knife down.

 

"Sorry." Soojin laughed before walking closer. "I was just watching you cook, That's all." She explained, as she stopped in front of the younger, wrapping her arms around her waist and bringing her closer. "What are you cooking tonight?"

 

"Bibimbap!" She replied, excited. "I follow the recipe step by step!" She added, proud of herself and Soojin smiled before placing some of her hair behind her ear before pressing a soft kiss on her cheek. 

 

"I'm sure it will taste amazing." 

 

"And will improve your mood for sure, You must be exhausted." Shuhua caressed her cheeks gently and Soojin smiled before nodding. It was true, but everything would be over soon, The younger simply didn't know yet. 

 

They kept talking until the food was done, Shuhua talked about her day, the dogs and how her trip back to Taiwan was and Soojin listened, as she always does, with all her attention, memorizing the sound of her voice and how it sounds so close to her, she knew after this day, she wouldn't hear it as often anymore so she enjoyed as much as she could; She sat by the table and watched as Shuhua placed each food on it, before sitting down across her, smiling happily as she waited until Soojin served herself. 

 

"This smells really good. I'll eat well" Soojin praised and smiled at how Shuhua's cheeks turned pink; She took the first bite and the other kept looking at her, curious. "And It's delicious too!" She praised one more time and Shuhua smiled widely before starting to eat as well. 

 

At least the girls won't starve when I'm not here. The older thought, watching the younger eat cutely as always.

 

"My family sent me so much food" Shuhua commented and Soojin chuckled before swallowing her food. 

 

"I saw. I fear they think we don't feed you enough" She pointed out and Shuhua giggled. 

 

"I guess so, But I swear I didn't say anything to make them think that."

 

"I know you didn't, Shu." She said before reaching for her hand, smiling at the ring on her finger before caressing it with her finger, gently.

 

"After this we can shower together." Shuhua said, casually; A few years ago the sentence would make Soojin blush in embarrassment, but now it was just as common as being told the sky is blue. "I'll wash your hair, so you can sleep peacefully."

 

"Okay, That sounds good." The other replied, nodding before focusing on her food and the younger did the same. 

 

Hours later, as she sat between Shuhua's legs inside the bathtub and let the younger one wash her hair gently, She glanced at the door as Haku and Mata curiously watched them before making their way back to the room, and that made Soojin smile. She would miss them, she always wanted a dog. 

 

"Your hair is getting longer." Shuhua commented. "It 's about time!"

 

"Mine is not like yours that grows back so fast" Shuhua giggled at the comment before pouring some water on top of Soojin's head, the shampoo going away. "Can I sleep with you tonight?" She then asked.

 

Shuhua always liked to sleep with her, ever since they were trainees, she was like a child always clinging to her for help, Soojin's approval was everything and her words were law, but now she's older, a grown woman and bit by bit she became more independent, she spoke her mind and had her own opinions and was never afraid to voice them even if sometimes that would make them fight and not talk to each other for days. She was an adult now, one who didn't need Soojin to cook for her, or explain words for her, there was no need to sleep with her at night to keep bad dreams away. 

 

Shuhua could handle things on her own now and Soojin was proud to be there to watch her grow, even if she can't go with her along the way, and see the girl-... The woman matures more and more. 

 

"You don't need to ask." Shuhua replied. "You're always welcome on my bed." 

 

Soojin smiled at that.



Once they were in bed, after their long bath, Shuhua was quick to embrace her tight and Soojin hugged her back before kissing her forehead softly and watched as the younger smiled with her eyes closed; She would miss this feeling.

 

"Everything will be okay." Shuhua said, eyes still closed. "I'll protect you."

 

Soojin hummed and then placed a gentle and quick kiss against her lips before bringing Shuhua's face against her neck.

 

"I know you will." She said, caressing her hair, looking towards the window of their room, as she focused on the sound of Shuhua's breathing as the younger fell asleep.




Shuhua fell asleep 15 minutes later, and as soon as that happened Soojin was out of the bed, getting dressed up when she heard knocks against their door, Shuhua was a heavy sleeper so she didn't even flinch at the sound as the older made her way towards the front door, and seeing Soyeon once she opened the door;

 

"Hey…"

 

"Hello." Soyeon replied, rubbing her own arm awkwardly. "Did you already-"

 

"I started to pack up some of my stuff but I still need help." Soojin replied as she moved to the side to let Soyeon in. "Can you help me?"

 

Soyeon wanted to say No, she wanted to lock the front door from outside and keep Soojin from going out, from leaving them, but the woman was stubborn and too selfless for her own sake, maybe that was why she made the decision she did. 

 

'I'm not tainting you guys' image.' That wasn't fair, and Soyeon hated it.

 

"Sure, I'll help." She replied instead, following Soojin to her room, where she watched the older pull a backpack from under the bed. Some of her stuff was already there, like the photos she used to have against the wall, those were all gone, and she was surprised Shuhua didn't notice.

 

"I told Shuhua I wanted to redesign the room." Soojin said, suddenly like she could read her mind. "So she didn't question when I took out some stuff." 

 

"You should tell her-"

 

"You know she won't let me leave." Soojin replied. "I'll talk to her once I'm back at my parent's place." She added and Soyeon sighed before she grabbed some clothes from the closet and handed them over to Soojin.

 

"Can I keep this?" Soyeon asked, showing the girl an old photo that was inside the closet, it was back when they were trainees. Soojin, Shuhua and Soyeon, she almost forgot they took this. 

 

Soojin smiled. 

 

"Of course…" She replied before putting something else inside the backpack, then she stopped and looked at Soyeon again who was still looking at the picture. "Soyeon… Can I ask something?"

 

"Hm? What is it?"

 

"Take care of her, Of Shuhua." Soojin said. "She likes to act tough to protect others, but I want you to be there for her."

 

"You know I will." Soyeon replied and Soojin nodded.

 

"I know." The older one confirmed. "Because I know you like her just the way I do."

 

Soyeon seemed surprised for a second, but didn't say anything, she only nodded and Soojin did the same before they both focused on packing everything up.










Shuhua woke up the next morning with the non stop notification sounds coming from her phone, she opened her eyes slowly and frowned at the fact that she was alone in bed, but then shrugged, Soojin was most likely making them breakfast as always; Another glance at her phone, she decided to take a shower first before checking anything, she could hear the dogs playing in the other room, Soojin definitely fed them else they would be all over her right now.

 

Her bath was quick, and soon enough she was back to her room, getting dressed up before making her way out to the kitchen, but Soojin wasn't there and yet there was food on top of the kitchen counter. Egg toast with a note near the plate.



'Miyeon is at the company

and Soojin went to visit

her parents today. 

I made you this.



-Soyeon" 



Shuhua frowned, It was uncommon for Soyeon to visit so early in the morning, and to just leave a note like this too. She never does that and why didn't Soojin wake her up? She would love to go see her parents too; She shakes her head and decides to just ask about it later when she's back, grabbing the plate and starting to eat as she glances at the dogs running around, chasing each other.

 

"So energetic." She chuckled looking at them. She heard the sound of her phone playing and groaned as she realized she didn't bring it with her to the kitchen, she quickly stood up and made her way to her room, and almost cursed when the phone stopped ringing when she got the, still she picked it up to check who it was and was surprised by all the notifications she was receiving, from the girls but also from other friends, her heart aching once she reads the words in front of her.



Soojin announced to be leaving (G)I-DLE.



"What?" 

 

She reads and rereads it over and over again, yet the words won't sink in, like an awful dream. She checked her other notifications, from her manager, the girls and other idols wanting to know if it was true, some trying to comfort her but none of this mattered right now as she started to type in Soojin's name. She needed to talk to her. 

 

"Pick up your phone-" She mumbled to herself, but nothing. Soojin wasn't picking up, or answering her texts either. "Soojin please-" She talked to herself as she waited but had no response. 

 

That can't be real. There was no way she would leave like this, without saying goodbye. They are soulmates, they are meant to be together forever; She felt the tears in her eyes as her phone rang again, it was Soyeon now. 

 

"Unnie…" She whined, in tears as she picked up the phone and Soyeon felt her heart break as soon as she heard her voice. "Tell me it's not true-"

 

"Shuhua, I'm… I'm so sorry." She said and Shuhua sobbed harder as she sat down on the bed. "Soojin made the choice herself, she said she didn't want to get in our way-"

 

"But she wasn't!" Shuhua said. "We were here for her, I was here for her I…" She cries harder, hand touching her chest as her heart seems to ache. "Why would she leave me?"

 

Soyeon is silent for a few seconds before speaking up again. 

 

"I'll be there in a few minutes then we can talk, ok?" Soyeon asked. "Just stay there." 

 

Shuhua only managed to mumble a yes between her cries as she hang up and then laid down on the bed, she reached for the photo she had of them on her bedside table, and she looked at it until her eyes felt heavy again and she fell asleep, wishing and praying she could change everything. 
















[...]





"Where the hell is she?" Shuhua frowned at the sound of Soojin's voice, but definitely higher pitched; She looked around, confused by the place she was, a mall? she doesn't remember going there, she was in bed crying her eyes out because Soojin-

 

Soojin. 

 

She looked back at the girl sitting by the bench outside the mall. She was small, maybe 13 or 14, with long dark hair and bangs, fluffy cheeks and a mole under her left eye. Soojin; That was Soojin and Shuhua knew from the amount of pictures the older had shown her of her middle school days. 

 

But how? What was she doing there and so young too? Shuhua was still the same; She saw Soojin pick up her phone and automatically walked towards her, maybe that was her chance, her chance to get things right.

 

"Excuse me-" She called, and Soojin looked up to her. "Are you alone?" She asked, trying her best to sound like an adult worried about some little girl being all alone, but seeing Soojin again made her hands shake a little. 

 

"No, Unnie. I'm waiting for a friend." She explained, upset and Shuhua smiled, she never imagined that one day she would have Soojin calling her unnie. "But she's really late-"

 

That friend wasn't going to show up, and Shuhua knew this; She also knew she needed to keep Soojin from making that phone call and making things difficult for her in the future. 

 

"Maybe she had a problem and can't come." She explained, sitting down next to Soojin. "I'll keep you company while you call your friend." She added, noticing how Soojin was calmer now and less likely to say anything bad on said phone call, and just like she imagined the conversation on the phone went smoothly, no yelling or swearing or threats from a crazy older sister. 

 

"She can't come." Soojin said with a tired sigh. "I guess I should just go home." 

 

"I'll wait until your mom comes." 

 

"Thank you, Unnie!" Soojin said, smiling at her and Shuhua smiled back as she stayed where she was and listened to Soojin speak about her school day, and the friends she had until her mom parked her car close and the girl said goodbye before walking away and Shuhua waved at her, smilied an satisfied.

 

She had fixed things. 








[...]






"Shuhua? Are you even listening?" She was surprised by the sound of Soojin, an adult Soojin, talking as she stood in front of her. "Geez, what are you thinking about?" She asked before turning around, picking the soju bottles from the dinner table and taking them to the kitchen.

 

This wasn't her normal world, that she could tell, from the sudden new memories she has now, in this world Soojin was within another group but then somehow still became friends after talking during an award celebration because Shuhua reminded Soojin of an unnie she met years ago, She was still with (G)I-DLE but Soojin was on another group, ViViDiVa and from what her new memories shown she was still friends with the phone call girl despite everything. 

 

She also knew she sneaked out of her dorm to come see her in the apartment she had rented for them to meet up, even in this world she was still willing to risk things for Soojin. 

 

"Shuhua?" She heard Soojin call."Don't try to escape from washing the dishes." 

 

"I'm coming, Unnie."

 

"Unnie? I already told you to not call me that." She giggled while Shuhua walked into the kitchen holding their plates. "How was your day? Have you been practicing a lot?" She asked. 

 

"Some trainee confessed to me today." Shuhua casually mentioned as she places the dishes inside the sink and noticed Soojin looking at her with a frown. "What?"

 

"Well what did you say?" This Soojin seemed more open than the one he was used to, she smiled more and her voice wasn't just a whisper, and from her face right now, she was more jealous.

 

"The obvious. I'm not interested."

 

"Hm."

 

"Don't look at me like that." Shuhua told her. "As for practicing, It's going well, Soyeon has been helping me a lot to get better."

 

From what she sees in this Shuhua's memories, they became best friends after Soyeon comforted her in the staircase, back when she was thinking of leaving and maybe she filled the role Soojin would fill in her normal world. 

 

"I don't like her."

 

"You don't like anyone." 

 

"That 's not true. I just think she has second intentions." Soojin replied and Shuhua shook her head, her true Soojin would never say that, but this Soojin never got to become friends with the girls so suspicion was normal. "She wrote songs about you, that's a little-"

 

"Don't overthink. She writes thinking about all of us." The younger one interrupted, before Soojin could reply they heard her phone ringing and so Shuhua made her way back to the living room to pick it up, noticing the name on the screen. It was her.

 

"Who is it?"

 

"Your friend." Shuhua replied, annoyed, watching as the other picked it up and casually talked on the phone, from this Shuhua's memory, that girl was nothing but someone using her Soojin's popularity to promote herself and she wonder if that's the reason she was so mad back in the original world, because she couldn't brag over being a popular idol's friend. 

 

"Right now? Of course." She heard Soojin say as she dried her hands. "I'll be there in a few minutes." She added before ending the call. 

 

"You're already leaving?"

 

"She called me and she's having some problems so-"

 

"Let me guess, she wants some money." Shuhua interrupted, then smirked. "As always." She added, looking into this Shuhua's memories again.

 

"Shuhua. She's my friend, I have to help." This Soojin was gullible, unlike her true Soojin who was kind but always knew how to say no, The Soojin in front of her however wanted to please this friend no matter what. Nothing changed for the better"I'll be back before midnight, I promise." She said before picking up her stuff.

 

"Fine" It's all she said before the older leaned closer and kissed her lips before making her way out of the apartment and Shuhua walked towards the couch and sat down, looking at the polaroids of them together spread all over the coffee table. 

 

She grabbed one, and looked at it with a sight.

 

She didn't fix anything. If only she had another chance-












[...]







"Where the hell is she?"

 

She was back in the mall, and Soojin was 13 again.

 

She thinks of a way to fix things, and without thinking twice, she walks towards the girl with hurried steps and without caring, bumping into her, the cell phone falling on the ground, breaking. 

 

"My phone-"

 

"I'm so sorry." Shuhua said, crouching to pick it up. "I didn't see where I was going, I'm so sorry. I didn't hurt you, right?"

 

Soojin shakes her head. "No, I'm fine Unnie." She'll never get used to being called 'Unnie' by Soojin; She guided the younger to the nearby bench. "I just… I wanted to call a friend." 

 

"Oh, That . You guys were going to the park or something?" 

 

"Yes, we're supposed to meet up here but she's late… Again." She muttered the last part and Shuhua looked at the broken phone in her hands.

 

"Oh so she usually shows up late?" She asked, but she already knew the answer, her Soojin already told her about that story once. 

 

"All the time, and when she doesn't she simply won't show up." She sighs, clearly sad. 

 

"Well if a friend can't keep up their promise maybe they aren't a good friend." Shuhua said. "It seems your friend isn't being nice to you so maybe you should distance yourself." She added, hoping her words would have the desired effect.

 

"I think you're right, Unnie!" She replied. "I didn't feel like hanging out with her anyways." She said, crossing her arms and Shuhua smiled. "But my phone-"

 

"Here." Shuhua placed some money on her hand. "You can fix it with this much, and this is also my apology too." She said. "Should I call your mom to come pick you up?"

 

"Yes, please."



Shuhua smiled wide. She was fixing things.











[...]





"Shuhua?"

 

She blinked non stop at the several bright lights around her, the sound of the people screaming and cameras taking pictures. She looked to the side and saw Soyeon, looking at her with a worried look on her face while the others were there as well. No sign of Soojin.

 

Did I make another mistake? Why she isn't here?

 

"Huh?"

 

"You looked distracted, are you okay?" Soyeon touched her back and Shuhua nodded before they started to walk towards the other groups. That was when she saw her.

 

Soojin was standing alone, wearing a red dress, as well as her favorite red lipstick. The memories were starting to sink in now, and she quickly started to understand this timeline better; This Soojin was a soloist, a popular one known for her sensual dance and powerful expressions, not that easy to approach, and from what she can remember, they never met each other, at least this Shuhua had never met that Soojin and this would be their first encounter. 

 

"People are excited to hear Lion again." She heard Yuqi said to Minnie. "I hope I don't make a mistake."

 

"Just don't go to the wrong side of the stage." Soyeon joked and Yuqi playfully hit her while laughing as well, and Shuhua kept looking at Soojin who finally looked at her, there was a curious expression on her face, probably trying to understand why she looked so much like the Unnie from years ago, but soon enough she looked away as another idols approached her to make conversation.

 

And Shuhua watched her, wondering why they weren't in the same group. Where did she go wrong? She told everything that should've helped with making her be with them but she wasn't and instead she was a soloist, away from them. Away from her.

 

"Shuhua, I know Soojin-Sunbaenim is really pretty but don't stare so much." Yuqi joked next to her and she shaked her head before playfully pushing her away. "You're gonna end up in those video compilations fans make." 

 

"Shut up!" Shuhua replied and the other laughed again. 

 

She looked at Soojin again, who was also looking at her but looked away once she was caught looking; Was this a sign? To let her go, is this the universe saying she was better away from them? She couldn't accept this, Soojin is her soulmate and they're meant to stay together no matter what, and she would make her happy no matter the reality she was in. 

 

The groups started to move backstage to give place to a group to perform and with the confidence that she knows this timeline's Shuhua doesn't have, she walks towards Soojin who was standing alone in a corner, typing on her phone before she put it away once she noticed Shuhua approaching her.  



"Soojin-Sunbaenim" She called, approaching her. "Hello."

 

"Hello." Soojin replied. "You're Shuhua!" 

 

"You know me?"

 

Soojin blushed. "I really like your group's songs.They all sound amazing." She answered, leaving out how she is a fan of the maknae. 

 

You should hear yourself singing that. Shuhua thought with a smile. 

 

"I really like your songs too" Shuhua said and that was true. "I'm looking forward to your performance today."

 

"I'm excited to see yours- I mean, your group's performance" Shuhua giggled at that. "Would it be okay to ask for your number? I would love to be friends."

 

"Of course." Shuhua said, giving the older woman her phone while taking hers and typing her number in her contacts list. "We should go out soon."

 

"I would like that." Soojin smiled the same gentle smile that her actual Soojin has and that was enough to make her heart speed up; This Soojin had a successful life, she was a popular singer and dancer, with lots of fans and no scandals to taint her career or personal life and Shuhua was happy for her, yet it wasn't enough. She wanted her with them, they are six and it should always be like this. 

 

"Oh." She heard Soojin gasp. "It's my time on stage now." She explained and Shuhua nodded. "Call me later, I would love to chat."

 

"Of course, Unnie. I will" She replied, smiling and waving as the woman started to walk away and Shuhua watched her before looking down to her phone, a picture of them, the same from before.







Should she rewind?