Impressed

Impressed

It was an extremely tiring day for Dongwan. He had to wake up around 4 in the morning then catching up a train to Seoul, after that he needs to go to the hairdresser before shooting at 8.  Accidents happened, the shoots that were supposed to be finished before lunch making him and the crew finishing it around 1 PM. He also needs to run to his next schedule at 2 PM, another advertisement shooting. Luckily, it happened so smoothly until 6 PM he went to the gym for a little exercise of the day then went for a drink with his colleagues. At least he arrived at his home, in Gapyeong around 11 PM.

He sighed as he turned the doorknob, but he stands frozen noticing his lights already. He remembers that he turned the lights off right before he went for work, this means someone breaking into his house.

Dongwan grabbed an umbrella near his entrance door then he walked slowly, tip-toed, avoiding the possible thief heard him then running away.

He halted his steps when he heard a tone of music and saw a familiar figure in his kitchen.

“Love is a beautiful two-letter word~”

 Dongwan looked at that person cutting a whole pineapple with a paring knife.

“Minwoo-ya.”

The other person looked up as he stops singing, he jumped in shock as he drops the pineapple on Dongwan’s kitchen island. Minwoo grinned sheepishly, “Dongwan-ah.”

“What are you doing in here? Why are you breaking into my house? Why not tell me?” asked Dongwan with brows furrowed, he had to put down the umbrella on the wall beside him.

“I’m…. learning to cook. Don’t you see it?”

A plate filled with rice -might be enough for two people-, bottles of soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, then some cut ham, chicken meat, green onion, and garlic on the island. Not to forget he also has two eggs.

It seems Minwoo wants to make fried rice, but with pineapple?

Dongwan did not answer him, he rather took a seat across the older male and looking at how he cooks.

“I didn’t mean to went here without your permission. I thought you were already at home, but when I arrived your lights were still off. So…. yeah, I just went in with the key you gave me before. Also, I went because I want to study cooking more from you,” Minwoo continued to talk while cutting the pineapple skin. However, in Dongwan’s eyes, he still lacks at cutting the poor fruit since he threw a lot of edible meat with its skin.

“You should have told me sooner, we could take the train together.”

Minwoo chuckled then he mumbles sorry to the younger.

Dongwan sighed as he stands up, walking to Minwoo’s side.

“So, who is this lucky girl you want to impress by cooking?” asked Dongwan grabbing the eggs then he cracked it into a bowl.

“It’s… you,” Minwoo mumbled softly into the thin air as he avoids having eye contact with Dongwan.

Dongwan puzzled, “excuse me? But I’m not a girl?”

Minwoo had to put down the knife and pineapple. He looked far away, eyes to the Dongwan’s piano across the room. “Exactly I want to impress you, and yeah you’re not a girl,” said Minwoo clearer. “Why should I impress someone else aside from my boyfriend?” he continued.

Slowly Dongwan gets what Minwoo meant. His face flushed red as he covered his mouth. Weird enough he felt butterflies on his stomach, making his lips upturned creating a smile.

Years they have been friends, Minwoo never tried to cook by himself then giving it to the other members. The chefs of the group -Eric, Andy, and Dongwan himself- used to cook something then bring it when they have meetings. Asking the group about how it tastes, if the texture is okay, etc. Even the worst cook, Hyesung, once made them gimbap with a lot of sesame oil. But Minwoo? Never. Usually, he would buy something from deliveries. Even after Minwoo and Dongwan started to be dating, Dongwan is the one who always cooks for the older.

Of course, for those years Dongwan has seen Minwoo cooking before. Surely the older male is not a bad chef, but he is still at basics. The usage of a paring knife on a whole pineapple irked Dongwan. That small knife is not supposed to use at large fruits like pineapple, but a bigger one like a carving knife, or just use a chef knife, maybe a cleaver since every household at least have one cleaver. He did not understand if the older male using the nearest or earliest found knife in his kitchen or he was just dumb about it. 

Dongwan did not tell him anything, he just let Minwoo use the paring knife. If the knife broke or unusable anymore, he could easily ask for the older male to buy a new one. He needs to observe the older guy first then if something dangerous might happen, he will act. 

Once the pineapple was cut, Dongwan was in awe since Minwoo cut it pretty nice. Not a clean-cut, but good work for someone who uses a paring knife to cut a big fruit.

Minwoo set up Dongwan’s electric stove, he asked if it is better to use high heat or medium. Dongwan answered to put the stove on high heat first after that he can lower the heat. His body moves instinctively grabbing a wok.

When the wok heated up a bit, Minwoo poured two tablespoons of vegetable oil. Dongwan told him to double it. Once the oil heated up until the wok releasing smoke, Minwoo threw minced garlic and some green onion. He lowered the heat and cook until it smelled great.

The aroma of cooked garlic can be smelled all the room. Dongwan told Minwoo to input proteins, stir them up nicely, then he can input the pineapple and rice.

After Minwoo putting all the ingredients and seasonings, he mixed them until all set. Dongwan helped him by grabbing two plates and putting them near the stove followed by Minwoo plating and garnishing it. The younger male walked away to grab a bottle of wine.

Both are seated across at the dining table with their own plates in front of them. Minwoo glanced at the food he just made then at Dongwan.

“Do you still want wine or something else?” Dongwan asked while moving his glass in circles.

“It’s okay, I think. We could get water later. Let’s dig in,” said Minwoo grabbing his spoon which was followed by Dongwan. “Thank you for the meal,” Dongwan murmured as he put a spoon of Minwoo’s fried rice into his mouth.

Minwoo cannot help himself to keep stealing glances at the younger male, expecting some reaction, or maybe critics and suggestions. But the younger male instead eating in silence. Minwoo thought his food was bad, but if it was bad why Dongwan keep eating it until finished?

Also, Dongwan was not pretty noisy like usual that night. Is it because Minwoo breaking into his house? Nah they are already exchange keys for each other houses so why is Dongwan angry about that. Is Dongwan really tired because of his job on the day? Or maybe another reason that he needs to ask him? 

“Earth to Minbongie,” Dongwan flicked Minwoo’s forehead which made the older male groaned and rubbing his forehead instinctively.

“What?”

“I asked you, why do you suddenly have this urge, to cook pineapple fried rice?” asked Dongwan while eating his last spoon.

Minwoo looked down at his own plates, it was nearly done. “I don’t know. It's just that… maybe I want to make you something. I asked Seokcheon hyung to give me advice on an easy recipe and he gave me this. He said this would be easy for a dinner date.”

He continued, “looking at you, and the others like Eric and Andy, even Junjin starting to study about kitchen things, I thought I should too. I’m so grateful for you to cook me foods, but I want to return by the same thing.” Minwoo expecting Dongwan replied to him with some wisdom, but the younger male only replied with nods.

When both finished eating, Dongwan stood up and bring their plates to the sink. Minwoo followed behind him. Without words spelled out from their mouth, they were already stationed side to side to wash the dishes.

“Minbongie,” called Dongwan as he turns off the faucet then drying his hands off. He turned to face Minwoo, pulling the other man closer by encircled his arms around Minwoo’s neck.

Dongwan’s lips touched Minwoo’s. It may feel greasy caused by the oil from their fried rice, but neither of them cares about that. They shared a kiss, a slow passionate kiss. Minwoo even had to grab Dongwan’s waist since he could feel his body started to melt away.

Dongwan pulled their face apart, he smiled. “You did a good job with that meal,” he said while giving a peck on the corner of Minwoo’s lips. He kept giving the older male compliments and appreciation by pecks.

“I can give you cooking lessons, but we need to set a goal.”

Minwoo blinked confusedly with Dongwan’s statement.

“I’m going to make you a better cook, better than Eric and Andy. The best chef among Shinhwa members!”

There was a fire in Dongwan’s eyes. Minwoo can see the younger’s spirit. He grinned at him and his proposal.

“Sure Wannie,” Minwoo answered.

Dongwan turned, facing his kitchen island then he grabs Minwoo’s pineapple cuts. His mouth opened as he says something in a stern voice.

“But I’m still irked by the fact you were using a paring knife to cut the whole pineapple. You deserve punishment, Minwoo-ya.”

 Minwoo chuckled as thinking he is in danger.

-fin-