one

Divine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taking Kuma on nightly walks was one of Jennie's favorite things to do. It was a special time designated with her favorite pup, and it was her time away from life’s stress. She would be crazy to worry about college and work during such beautiful nights. The streets were void of movement and sound. She refused to take that peace for granted.

 

Yet, there was a small problem. Jennie swore she was being followed.

 

It started earlier that week. Someone began walking their dog at the same time Jennie always did. The same route too, but across the sidewalk. Out of the few neighbor's she'd met, this stranger wasn't one of them. The woman didn't match the description of any neighbors she'd seen before either. Tall, slim, and with a dog who Jennie had also never seen before. This wouldn't have been that suspicious to Jennie if it didn't happen every night.

 

It could be a coincidence that they shared the same path and walking routine. It could be that the possibility of the girl being a murderer was an exaggeration of her imagination. Kuma was unconcerned and dogs were supposed to sense things like that, right?

 

She was always two to three houses away, but her presence still chilled Jennie's body. Every turn Jennie made, she followed. Every time Jennie paused, she hesitated.

 

Tonight was no different.

 

Jennie was out her door half past 8, the same time she always left, with the end of Kuma’s leash trapped in her grip. His paws padded against the paved sidewalk, matching his owner’s silent footsteps. Together, they made it to the end of their block.

 

For whatever reason, the woman never walked Jennie’s street. She never followed her home. That brought Jennie a small breath of relief. Just a small breath.

 

Jennie only noticed the dark figure behind her whenever she turned left onto the next street. The woman walked far from Jennie but also close enough. Close enough to make Jennie’s muscles stiffen and grip Kuma's leash a little tighter.

 

The street sign towered above her. The house her and her best friends rented sat at the opposite end of the street. Kuma, already anticipating their next move, pulled her to the left. She inhaled and braced herself for another unsettling night.

 

They walked for a bit before Kuma paused and turned his small body to look behind him. Jennie didn’t even have to look to know what it was, or who it was, but she did anyway. A tall, slender figure with a small dog stood across the street, as expected. The woman was in her usual attire. Skinny black jeans, an oversized black jacket, and a black cap. The only brightness on her body was a white converse symbol engraved on the side of her shoes and light-colored tresses of hair flowing beneath her cap.

 

A soft breeze swept through the trees as they walked from block t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter