Fin

Her So Called Defense Mechanism?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

지민정

 

Jimin can only sighed for the nth time today.

 

She hates flying with a passion. Nah, actually she’s just really scared of it.

 

But her job as a famous-successful soloist and model, made her to always fly at least once or twice in a month to different places. Just her luck. 

 

And today’s no different. She will fly to Japan and meet her close-celebrity friend, who’s also a famous soloist, Uchinaga Aeri. 

 

The two will film a variety show together in Aeri’s hometown. Mostly about eating and shopping. Two things that surely Jimin would love and enjoy. 

 

But for now she still have to overcome her fear first. 

 

She’s alone in the business class, perks of being the star, while her team members and the shooting crews are all seated in a different cabin behind hers since they are in economy class. 

 

Talking about her team and crew, she wanted to highlight two things.

 

One, how dare her manager leave her alone?! Ning Yizhuo is her manager for 4 years now. And for Jimin, Ningning is not a mere co-worker. Not only someone she has to work with due to circumstances. Ningning has become a good friend, even almost like her own sister. Someone she genuinely care for and also genuinely care for Jimin. Someone she knows she can trust and rely on in this industry that full of pretenses. 

 

But screw that beautiful friendship and bond they have because Ningning is not with her right now when she needed her the most. 

 

She always needs someone’s hand to hold in this frightening-life risking flight! Usually it will be Ningning’s hand that she will squeeze to death. But again, Ningning is not here at the moment.

 

The poor girl is down with flu and fever. So she’s taking a sick leave. Leaving her beloved artist with another trusted senior manger named Heechul. Someone that Jimin also trust but unfortunately is not so close with. So there’s no way Jimin will ask for his hand to hold on behalf of Ningning’s absence. That will be hella awkward. 

 

Two, there’s this another one person that can also be blamed for Jimin’s sour mood right now. 

 

To be exact that person is part of this reality show’s shooting crew. The youngest PD in the team. 

 

Her name is Winter. And as cold as her name, she treated Jimin just as coldly. 

 

And Jimin doesn’t even know why she get to be treated that way by the young PD. She believes she did nothing wrong to Winter. Heck they even just met today!

 

So why Winter seems to hate her already when in fact they just met few hours ago? Is she Jimin’s anti fans? Jimin wondered. 

 

So before they boarded on plane, Jimin excused herself to make a quick call to Choi Sooyoung, a close unnie who happened to be the Head of Department of KBC. A TV channel where her and Aeri’s reality show will be aired later. 

 

She called Sooyoung to confirm her suspicion. About Winter secretly (or not so secretly) being her anti. Just to get even bewildered when Sooyoung said that Winter is her fans. 

 

She wanted to ask for more but Sooyoung already hung up on her because she prefer her foods over her close dongsaeng. (She always prefer foods over anything actually, so Jimin didn’t really take it personally.)

 

Jimin 110% believed the older is just messing around with her.

 

Because there’s no way Winter is her fans with the way she treated her earlier. 

 

Let’s have a quick flashback, shall we?

 

 

(Flashback to 4 hours ago)

 

“Hello everyone! I’m Karina. Nice to meet you all. Please take care of me.” Jimin bowed at the people in front of her and flashed her best smile. 

 

There are like 12 people. They’re the shooting crew that will be with her in the next 3 days and 2 nights for the reality show.

 

They are all returning her smile. Just as bright. Except for one person. The only bright blonde among the other black haired. Sticking out like a sore thumb. 

 

The said girl is in her oversized baby blue hoodie, with pale-babylike face, looking at Jimin with a deep frown. Her eyes looked emotionless, cold. Jimin had to admit the girl is looking hella cute. Even when she’s frowning like that. 

 

Her eyes met Jimin’s for a split second. Jimin still with her best smile intact on her face, but the blonde let out a scowl, and looked away. 

 

“What was that?” Jimin blinked.

 

Jimin was beyond confused with the hostility. But she told herself that maybe the blonde is just having a bad day. 

 

Soon the main PD of the show introduced himself to Jimin personally with the blonde in tow. Saying she’s the second PD that will also in charge of Jimin. 

 

“Hello. Nice to meet you.” Jimin tried again. Trying to sound as friendly as possible. 

 

Which replied by the blonde with a low mumble that sounded like, “Me too”, as she’s quickly bow at Jimin and then flee to join her crew without sparing any glance at the idol. 

 

The first impression of the blonde is bad. Like super bad. Though again Jimin had to admit, she’s cute. And pretty too. 

 

But despite her cute-gorgeous face, Jimin found herself disliking the blonde already. Well who won’t if they get treated the way Jimin get treated by the blonde? Right?

 

And to make it worse, when Jimin went to the restroom, she overheard this Winter girl talk to someone. She tried her best to eavesdropping while being as quiet as she could. 

 

“Pleaseee~ let me be in Aeri’s team, sunbae.” Winter’s pleaded with her high pitched tone, just like a kid. Jimin would find it cute if only she doesn’t have a vivid memory about this cute blonde who treated her like a sort of enemy. 

 

“Winter, we already decided the team and arranged everything. We can’t just change it in last minute like this.” Another female voice replied. 

 

“But—“

 

“No buts, Winter! What’s the problem anyway? Is it Karina-ssi? You have a problem with her?”

 

“Well.. Kinda.” Winter huffed. 

 

“You got to be professional. You can’t let your own personal feelings involved when you’re working.”

 

Winter let out a long sigh. A defeated sigh. 

 

“I know, sunbae. I’m sorry. I will try my best to behave. No matter how hard it is for me. It’s an important task given by our boss Choi. So I won’t let anyone down.”

 

“Good. So hang in there, kiddo. It’s just for 3 days anyway. You can do it.”

 

“YEP! I can do it!” Winter dramatically said, half shouting to show her determination. 

 

“Ssstt! You’re embarrassing me, you dork!”

 

And the two laughed. 

 

While for Jimin, she can only feel the sudden bitterness in . 

 

Winter must really hate her. She thought. 

 

***

 

(Back to present time)

 

“Damn it. Why Ningning just have to be sick on the day I need her the most?!” Jimin cursed under her breath. She can feel beads of cold sweat on her forehead. 

 

Some rustles can be heard and not long after that Jimin felt someone’s presence beside her. She looked up and her eyes met with a pair of beautiful brown orbs. 

 

“Winter?” The person she least expected to see at the moment. 

 

The girl just gave Jimin a nod and took a seat beside her. Fastening her seatbelt. 

 

Just another curt nod! Jimin thought to herself. 

 

“Your seat is not here I believe?” Jimin asked. Surprisingly there’s no hostility in her voice. Just pure curiosity and wonder. 

 

Another nod. 

 

If Jimin didn’t hear Winter talking before, she would surely think Winter is mute or something. 

 

“Then why—?” 

 

“Miss, please return to your seat. We’re about to take off.” The stewardess politely said to the blonde. 

 

Unlike her stoic face that she always gave Jimin, Winter, suddenly beamed so brightly at the stewardess with her round sparkly-innocent eyes. 

 

“Ah yes about that, I’m sorry but my friend here is having a phobia of flying. She needs someone to stay close beside her when the plane is taking off and when it’s landing later. I’ll return to my seat soon I promise. I will just accompany her until the plane is flying stable in the air. Can I? Please, Miss?” Winter, again, the same Winter who always gave Jimin her stoic face, giving the stewardess her best puppy eyes with a sickeningly adorable pout!

 

Jimin can only flabbergasted beside the blonde. Wondering if Winter is actually a bipolar or just get possessed.

 

“Okay then, Miss. I understand. You can take care of your friend. But please return to your seat as soon as the seatbelt lamp is turned off later.” The stewardess finally said. 

 

“Yes Miss! I will. Thank you.” Winter bowed her head to show her gratefulness.

 

“You’re welcome. I wish you a pleasant flight.” The stewardess smiled and then leave them. 

 

Winter let out a relieved sigh. 

 

“Uh—“ Jimin wanted to ask but she has to abort the initial plan when the plane started to move. “—ack!” Jimin’s yelped when the airplane start to move forward in full speed, ready for a take off. 

 

“Here. Chew this.” Winter passed Jimin a bubble gum. Jimin’s favorite. Winter took one too and plopped it inside . Cooly chewing it but her eyes never left Jimin. Looking somewhat worried. 

 

“T-Thanks.” Jimin said. Quickly put the gum inside before she shut her eyes tight. Her body is all tense. She really hates flying!

 

But Jimin immediately opened her eyes again when she feels a soft-warm touch on her right shoulder. A gentle squeeze following shortly after that. Before the same soft hand gently pushed her body to lean deeper against the seat. 

 

“Lean back, unnie. And try to breathe normally. It’ll be okay. You’ll be okay.” Winter softly said to her. 

 

Jimin opened her eyes and her eyes locked with Winter’s. The coldness in those eyes is gone now. Replaced with something that Jimin think is a concern look?

 

“U-unnie?” Jimin stupidly mumbled.

 

“Oh sorry. Do you mind if I call you unnie?” Winter asked, despite having a warmer look in her eyes, her face is still kinda stoic. 

 

“Y-yeah, I mean no! Sure, you can call me that."

 

“Okay, good. And here, a squishy for you to play with.” Winter surprisingly gave Jimin a small playful smile as she placed her hand on top of Jimin’s balled one. 

 

Jimin hesitantly took Winter’s smaller pale hand, and held it in hers. Loosely at first. But quickly tightening it, interlocking their fingers, when the airplane is swooping up. 

 

She felt a squeeze on her hand and a soft whisper in her ear. “Hey. Chew the gum.”

 

So Jimin did. She chew the gum and instantly feel better. Wow. What a sorcery. 

 

Maybe it’s the sweetness in . Or maybe the warm hand that enveloping hers while giving her gentle squeezes from time to time. Or maybe the easy humming of God knows what song, that Winter currently does. 

 

But she found herself relaxing. 

 

Maybe Sooyoung was right. Winter is not an anti. Because if she is, she won’t be here to help Jimin overcoming her fear. 

 

“Thank you, Winter.” Jimin sincerely said as she looked at Winter’s side profile. 

 

Winter just nodded her head and softly hummed. Trying to look nonchalant by flipping the magazine on her lap using her another free hand that didn’t get sandwich in between Jimin’s cold hands. When in fact, her heart is beating way too fast right now. 

 

And the last time she checked, she was not the one who’s scared of flying. 

 

***

 

They soon arrived in Narita airport. And yes, Winter came back to sit beside Jimin when they’re about to landing. Quietly giving Jimin her squishy toy again, which is her own hand. 

 

Only after the plane made a full stop, Winter unbuckled her seatbelt and wordlessly leave Jimin to return to her original seat.

 

Jimin didn’t even get to properly thank the PD yet when she suddenly leave. But Jimin made a mental note to do that later. 

 

And Jimin can say she doesn’t dislike the young PD that much no more. Not when she showed Jimin her kindness by staying beside her through her hardest time. Even helped her to overcome it. 

 

Even though she’s still kinda cold. With her flat-expressionless face, boring eyes looking back into Jimin’s, and short replies, Jimin found herself doesn’t mind it anymore.

 

***

 

As soon as Jimin and her company staff walked out of the airport gate, they get swarmed by fans. Karina Yu and her crazy popularity. 

 

The security team is having a rather difficult time to protect the idol due to the unexpected situation. They already predicted for the crowds but they didn’t know it will be this big and wild. 

 

Even Jimin’s staff like her manager, stylish and make up artist, all try to help too by making a human barricade with Jimin in the middle. 

 

While as for the shooting crew, including Winter is already in the front since they exited the airplane first. They have things to prepare.

 

One person, probably a sasaeng fan, somehow managed to dodge the security staff and trying to get a hold of Jimin. 

 

Jimin screamed, eyes went wide in fear, already predicting the worst scenario possible. 

 

Winter who heard that familiar voice immediately looked back. 

 

“Karina unnie!” Winter gasped. She used her agility to run while swiftly avoiding these sea of people. Once she’s close, she lunged herself forward to be a shield in between Jimin and the sasaeng fan. 

 

She pulled Jimin by the hand and make the idol to stay close behind her before she pushed the man away with such force that causing him to tumbling down. Soon he was tackled dow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter