Author's Blockkk

Don't look what I did there [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

OK. Author’s block. Let’s do this.

 

In this chapter, I’m going to split ‘breaking’ the authors block into two sections: getting inspiration, and the stuff that comes after.

 

I’m not sure what other people did so I started a forum online asking writers of generally fiction posted on the web what they went through when they had author’s blocks. The generally responses vary, but NONE of the authors came out of it just by waiting for inspiration. If I was being unclear, I’m going to say it again: do NOT sit and wait for inspiration to come to you. 不要。하지마. Ne pas. Just don’t.

Now, it's not completely without possibility that you could be suddenly struck with inspiration while you are eating, or sitting through a boring lecture, or relieving yourself in the lavatory, but the point is, it happens rarely. The key point with writing is that writing should be a habit. The best way to start this habit is to incubate your ideas; even though it may take a long time.

Here’s some tips to get you on the right track.

Get a small journal you can take with you everywhere. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just something good, portable, and sturdy.

Get into the habit of jotting down observations: things you see, read, hear - everything.

Get into the habit of cutting out clippings from newspapers that you like, or photographs that trigger ideas, and then writing down what you liked about them, or how you may use them.

Get into the habit of using your journal like a diary as well. Write down things that you did that day, the things that struck you as interesting.

Get into the habit of writing about writing, and about what you've read.

Get into the habit of writing about your own memories and thoughts: things you remember happening to you, to friends and family.

Start looking at and listening to people, and think of them in terms of possible characters: their flaws and contradictions; their habits; their appearances. Make small character sketches.

Try writing early in the morning just when you wake up and before you've done anything. Just get up and write. It doesn't matter what it is, just follow your stream of consciousness.

Also look at using word association. If you come up with an idea like "I want to write a story about a ghost", then write down the word ghost. Start writing words that pop in your head with relation to that, and create a word tree with branches. If something you write down triggers an idea, write a branch from that word.

 

You'll notice the key element through al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter