How To: Jump

Don't look what I did there [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When you want to hide from the fact that you are indeed skipping some steps in the plot, or worse, intentionally hiding it from readers: In other words, when you simply want to go from scene A to scene B, jumping over the explanation as to why that would happen.

Some examples, to give a reference:

Scene A: Lisa meets Rose on a chatroom. They are both using some random usernames.

Scene B: Despite not having given her any personal information, Lisa surprises Rose by knocking at her door.

How did Lisa figure out it was Rose? And how did she find the address?

Scene A: Rose is tied up by the robbers who invaded her home.

Scene B: Rose is running outside while calling the police from her mobile phone.

How did she free herself without the robbers noticing? And where did she get the phone from?

Scene A: Jisoo and Lisa are stuck in the cabin under a snowfall so heavy that the door is blocked under the snow.

Scene B: Lisa is crossing the frozen lake by foot.

How did she get out of the chalet, across a wall of snow? And what happened to Jisoo?

These are scene jumps that serve the plot, but they may not reflect anything reasonable in terms of physics or logic. The obvious solution would be to edit the text to give the reader a hint of how the feat was achieved, or how it could be possible. This chapter will not focusabout these explanations.

Instead, we want to push the suspension of disbelief, and seek to find a writing device such that the reader will not notice the jump while reading.

 

At first I thought that if the stakes are high enough one may just read through to see how it is going to end. However, my attempt of raising the high stakes resulted in a higher bar for consequentiality and, if you take the first example, some readers expect Lisa's way to be revealed, or at least hinted, later on in the book. With this technique, there's a fine line between "you're not supposed to know" and "you're not supposed to know yet".

I wondered if it is an issue of POV. Perhaps focusing on one character during one scene, and on the other in the other scene can ease the transition. Or should I simply foreshadow it, e.g. " 'On the inte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter