Part 1

A Cat in the Hat

Part 1

Summers were terrible.

Irene’s heart sunk as she watches her daughter, Karina, in a sobbing mess, running up to Wendy. Wendy shot Irene an apologetic look whereas Irene looked down, biting her lip, feeling distanced from the two. Wendy carried Karina in her arms, singing a lullaby to calm her little girl, just until she falls asleep in her arms. She planted a kiss on Karina’s forehead and asked the servants to carry her to bed and tuck her in.

Irene’s right eye twitched a little, feeling like a failure of a mother, the whole Summer she tried to get along with her daughter was in vain yet Wendy who just came back from her business trip had successfully calmed Karina.

Wendy went and embraced her as tight as possible, burying her face into Irene’s neck, her aching back finally relaxing. Home. Irene is home. They stayed like that for a while, finding comfort in each other.

Miss Irene Bae, seeming-ly perfect Bae; a favourite of the god, they say, carved delicately from the lights of a thousand angel wings, through her in a rush of musk and saffron, beauty falls into disarray. She is the model of society, the highest to achieve. And she’d like to think so. Yet,

Her puffy-cheeked daughter Karina proved her a challenge.

And that’s where Miss Irene Bae, seeming-ly perfect Bae, wasn’t so seemingly perfect anymore, that in the end she has her flaws and is still a human. She began to question herself.

“What’s wrong, my love?” Wendy kissed her neck and started planting soft kisses, it wasn’t like Irene to be quiet. Usually, she’d huff and complain about Karina’s erratic behaviour when she’s gone for her business trips. “Karina..She..” Irene couldn’t bring herself to say it, her eyes teared up remembering their arguments, especially the recent ones. “I..really love her you know..but she-“ Irene bit her lips trying to prevent herself from crying. “Of course, I know you love her and she knows it too..” Wendy tried to reason.

However, this time, is different. Irene lets go of herself from Wendy and excused herself to gather herself and Wendy sighed. She decided to let Irene have her time while she freshens up.

-

That night, Irene didn’t join for dinner.

“Karina, my love, tell me what happened?” Wendy asked softly, “Your mommy is heart-broken.” She explained however Karina only further pouted, processing her thoughts and crossed her arms instead of eating. If only the situation wasn’t serious, Wendy would have cooed over Karina. Oh, how much Karina looks like young Miss Irene. Similar behaviour and stubborn-ness. Oh, how much Wendy is such a er for her daughter.

Karina’s eyebrows frowned further as she remembered what happened. She looked away, focusing on a corner, reluctantly whispered, “Mommy doesn’t want Karina. She doesn’t love Karina.”

Wendy, dismayed, “Your mommy Irene loves you very much Karina. What makes you think of such things?” She asked, calmly, feeling a little heat-broken over what Karina had said.

Karina looked down, feeling heaviness in her chest, kept mum.

“Karina, my love, your mommy Irene is…just as sensitive as you are…I’m sorry that you are feeling that way, my love.” Wendy said, even she wasn’t sure what to say, so instead, she hugged her daughter tight, that she could hear the sniffs. “I promise you my love, it will be okay..”

-

The following day, Wendy wasn’t at ease in her meeting with her clients, and Seulgi, her secretary and close confidant could tell.

It’s ironic how Wendy who seemed amicable and meek, turns into a guillotine when it comes to business, perhaps it is the strong influence of her wife, Irene Bae. You wouldn't have thought that this woman would be a 'Monster' as they say it, on a business table. Not that it's not a good thing, for people like Seulgi Kang, for lower-class people, it was hope. Wendy Shon, ordinarily ordinary Shon, is a beacon of hope. Who could have known? that a lower-class citizen would end up with the elite of the elites.

She worked her way up from what Seulgi had heard. She moved to London, with nothing and made a name for herself. She worked odd-jobs while she studied and endured the harships, being beaten and mistreated because of what status she was. But she was always shining, b with confidence. 

And one day, that fateful day. Wendy did it. Some people say she struck a gold fortune, some people accuse her of thievery. After all, how could someone like her climb up in society? Seulgi Kang had asked Wendy how she did it and whenever she does, the similar answer had been repeated, like a broken tape, "Irene Bae." 

However, regardless of what people say, the name Wendy Shon, now, commanded respect. The first-ever philantrophist entreprenuership. Her business ideas was unprecendented, using customers to work for themselves, genius. This has helped her business run for a low cost yet high profit yeild. 

And Seulgi who greatly admired Wendy; stood there, looking at her boss, in a daze amidst the clients.

And so, she excused herself and Wendy, pulling her aside. “Perhaps I should handle this, I’ve shown you countless times that I manage well and besides, it's just Sir Junmyeon and his lackey Sir Oh Sehun." Seulgi whispered.

Wendy gave her a grateful smile and went into her office to collect herself right after. She fell into her chair and closed her eyes, trying to relax her sore back and catch a nap. Irene and Karina's situation made her unable to fully relax in her home, as of lately. The continuous arguments and scoldings had her wellbeing stressed. And she hadn't any solution nor understood why there is friction between the two, was Wendy lacking in some sort of way? 

Her train of thoughts were interupted when she heard a soft knock and enter a wide-smiling Seulgi Kang. Wendy gave her a soft smile, "Hope those lads didn't give you any trouble." in which Seulgi laughed it off, "All is well."

"I can count on you." Wendy sighed.

"Penny for your thoughts, Lady Wendy." Seulgi said. 

"It's just us, no need for formalities Seulgi." Wendy reminded her. 

"Apologies Lady Wendy." She replied out of habit and Wendy let it slide, whatever is comfortable for her friend. "Again, apologies for being intrusive, you seem uneased. Is there anything I can help you with?" She continued.

Wendy sighed and explained to Seulgi about her situation. Telling Seulgi was the only option she has, a safe one. She would not like to talk bad of her loved ones with thier family members, it is rather rude. Talking to Seulgi did help ease her. Finally, that evening she could smile relaxed.

-

No one had ever seen Miss Irene Bae messed up as she was in the Shon Mannor that day; hair unruly, face red, in a panic and worst, it seems like the day where the people of Bae House feared had come, in a hand-me-down. The Earl, Wendy Shon, entered her house frantically and handed her brief case and elite-stupid top hat she had to wear, to the servants who informed her of Miss Irene Bae's madness. 

"Where have you been?" Miss Irene Bae, threw the couch's cushion towards Wendy, which was heavy enough, that she took a step back, flailing. 

"What is this, madness?" Wendy asked.

"Karina. She's missing." Irene cried, and finally fell on her knees weakly. She feels like a failure of a mother, who loses their children? Wendy bit the inside of her cheeks and chuckled internally, looking at her wife in sympathy. She went to her and embraced her, "Silly woman." She murmured and kissed the top of Irene's stinky head. "You smell, go shower. I will find Karina." 

"It's-It's because of me, I scolded her too much and she ran- " Irene blamed herself.

"Shh, sweetheart. Karina's just a little sensitive and curious like you. I will find her and talk to her." Wendy comforted her, rubbing her back this time. Surely, Irene calmed down. And looked up to Wendy's face. Wendy's heart skipped a beat. Always. Miss Irene Bae always had that effect on her. Plucking her heartstring. Those darn eyes. And that cute nose. That darn lips, especially.

"I already searched everywhere, I asked mother and father, grandma-ma and Joy. She's not with them and- god, Wendy, how could I lose her?" Irene beat herself up again. "Go and collect yourself. I will ask the servants to prepare your bath. Your cat ears are showing." Wendy said, albit teasing her. Irene pouted and hit her wife's arms which Wendy groaned. "Why always that same spot?" She muttered, complaining.

"I don't know..." Irene was hesitant.

"I've found a way to tame you. I'll find a way to find her." Wendy smiled, Of course, the way to find the little trickster firstly was to think like one. And she is one! She isn't a trickster, if she hadn't been able to capture Irene's heart.

-

Karina is an ineffable child. Wendy always knew that Karina isn't like any other children and to mold her into one is rather an impossible task. Wendy found herself at their home's attic. "Karina, sweetie" Wendy called out sweetly. Instinctively, she felt that her daughter would be there even though her clever daughter had left 'clues' around their home; an opened window on her room's balcony, drawers left sprawled after what seemed to be Karina packing up in haste and a letter quickly scribled in a rather scractchy hand-writing; though they were only there for misguidance. 

There were rustling amongst the dusty furniture and thumbing of wooden items. 

-

This was another type of heartbreak for Bae Irene and never had anyone seen the Bae Irene in such distraught and fear, a trembling leaf she is in the hold of her sister Joy. Her face was stricken red and stained with dried tears, again one would still think of how unfairly beautiful she looks, a tragedy only highlights her delicacy, where the only thing that could be done or a must done is to hold her because everything is about her. 

"She hates me." Irene uttered after a while. "My daughter hates me." She uttered, as if in a trance, a daze. "How could my daughter hate me?" She uttered and then break down after her so-called epiphany. It was the words that she had failed to utter after years of denying such claims.

"Nonsense." Joy shushed her as she rubbed her sister's head and tightened her embrace. "Karina does not hate you." Joy affirms her and looks around the bed to usher supportive claims from the people around them. Their grandma-ma, mother and father were looking for Karina.

"U-Uhm, yes, Little Miss Karina may be a tad bit dramatic but she loves you Lady Bae." Madam Beamont said. 

"Lies!" Irene yelled in desperation, adamant and stubborn. Fresh tears welling in her tear-stained eyes. Heart sinking into an abyss. It was odd. She was perfectly good in almost a lot of thing but the thing that she cares most in the world is the one she is terrible in. Motherhood. It was easy at first but as Karina slowly grew up, the more that they head butts, especially whenever Wendy goes away on business trips.

Why is it that trying to help Karina grow into society such a challenge? She was only trying to help her daughter face the tough and unkind throngs of people. Especially that, she has such a priviledge. To carry oneself with that status and priviledge is a responsibility. 

Of all things, honestly.

A proper and prim Karina Bae-Shon, an impossible feat.

-

Wendy returned to their room as evening falls, as did the family members, who regretfully shook their heads as they entered. This only solidifies Irene of her thoughts, a terrible mother, she is. Wendy went to her side and took Joy's place in embracing her wife, soothing her. "She'll be alright sweetheart." This was what Wendy could only mutter as she planted kisses on Irene's crown. She held Irene's hands and squeezed it in assurance. 

"I'm the worst mother in the whole history of mothering. I lost our only daughter." Irene uttered. "You are not." Wendy assured her. "I promise we'll find her. The guards wouldn't stop looking for her. It is impossible for Karina Bae-Shon to disappear in this country." Wendy continued and Irene sighed. Wendy coughed to divert everyone's attention on her, "I'm sure everyone is tired, the rooms are prepared and everyone must retire for the day. I will continue to look for Karina with Seulgi's help. And my darling, " Wendy turned to Irene, planting a kiss on the back of Irene's hands. "You should wash yourself up, you've had a day turning this house upside down in search of our daughter."

"No! I'm going to look for her!" Irene got up, after beating herself up for hours, she ran out of the room, leaving everyone in the room to call for her. 

-

A distraught Irene found herself inside of Karina's room for clues. She sighed in guilt when a little black fur brushes againsts her legs. "Karina?"