Only Angel (1/2)

Only Angel

I saw this angel

I really saw an angel

-

“HEY!”

Donghae broke from his reverie of spending his summer in a nice warm beach, bathing in the afternoon sun.

“I said, are you gonna drink that?” Kyuhyun asked while grabbing Donghae’s Iced Americano before he could even answer.

Donghae just stared at Kyuhyun stupidly. “All the ice melted already!” Kyuhyun shrugged and grinned to himself.

“KYU!”

“WHAT THE ?!” Kyuhyun almost dropped his stolen coffee with his overly dramatic reaction.

“WHAT?!” Donghae also whined. “I want to end this semester already. Please make it stop, I already packed my bags for our summer break.”

They were in the University’s cafe finalizing their papers so they can finally enjoy relaxing in the summer heat without worrying about anything. Donghae is obviously failing to write his papers as he kept zoning out of focus. His mind travelling to an island of paradise that he created in his head.

“You will if you actually get on with your assignments instead of staring out of space like a complete weirdo.” Kyuhyun flicked Donghae’s forehead. He’s already done with his papers and is only waiting for Donghae to finish his. Donghae only pouted while rubbing his forehead.

“Hey, on your 9 o’clock. Kid in the yellow shirt. Been staring at you ever since we got here.”

Donghae dumbly looked to his left. His mouth hanging open. Eyes with curiosity as he stared at twin brown eyes. Goosebumps raised in his arms and legs as they talked with their eyes for what felt like hours.

Donghae broke the eye contact first and returned them to Kyuhyun.

“What a creepy guy.”

Kyuhyun laughed at what he heard. He pointed his finger at Donghae’s face. “Well, I think he definitely likes what he’s seeing.” Donghae choked on nothing. “What do you mean?”

Kyuhyun shrugged and shaked his head. He sipped the last bit of his stolen coffee and gathered his things. “I gotta go, my last period will start soon.” Donghae nodded and bid his goodbye.

His eyes flicked once again to the man on his left. He quickly turned his head when he saw him still staring, but now with a small smile on his face. Donghae blushed at what he saw. Turning his body and ducked his head out of the man’s sight. “Maybe I have gone crazy.” Donghae whispered to himself.

“Maybe you did.” A voice now in front of him spoke. “Or.. maybe I did.” Donghae looked up and saw the guy standing by his table. He blushed as he saw him smiling at him with teeth, gums and crinkled eyes.

“Uhm..”

“Can I sit here?” The man gestured at the chair in front of a blushing Donghae. Donghae looked around the cafe and nodded. He looked at his laptop to avoid eye contact.

“Here.” The guy pushed an iced latte and vanilla cake on Donghae’s side. “I saw your friend drank your coffee, and uhm.. a cake if your hungry.” The guy sheepishly rubbed his nape. His smile never faltered and only evolved to a shy one.

“Thank you. Y-you didn’t have to.” Silence fell between them. Donghae broke it first. He cleared his throat. “Why though?”

The guy tilted his head and pursed his lips. “You’re so cute!” He flashed his megawatt pearls of white and dazzling orbs. Donghae’s red and startled face only brought sounds of coos from the other man.

“Sorry about that.” He giggled. “You only bought coffee and you didn’t even got to drink it.” Donghae stared in disbelief. “A sweet treat for a sweet face like yours.” The guy haven’t stopped smiling ever since he sat down.

“I’m Hyukjae.” He extended his arm towards the blushing man.

Donghae took the hand. Soft as a chicken , by the way. “Donghae. I study Business.” His voice timid.

“Oh me too!” Multiple eyes stared at the slightly loud voice coming from their table. Hyukjae couldn’t give a single about it though. He can’t be swayed by anything. If not because of an angel sitting in front of him so ing prettily, with sparkles and rainbows surrounding his goddamn angelic beauty.

-

“LEE ING HYUKJAE!!!” Snores filled the room despite the heavy knocks and screaming outside hyukjae’s dorm.

“IF YOU DON’T OPEN THIS PIECE OF YOU CALL A DOOR I’M GOING TO SNEAK THROUGH THE WINDOW AND RIP YOUR ONE PIECE MANGA COLLECTION TO SHREDS— oh there you are.”

“Heechul hyung-” Hyukjae sighed and blinked his tired eyes from the unwelcomed intruder in his dorm room. “Why are you screaming your out so early. I’ve got an exam in a few hours and I’m getting sleep as much as I can.”

“Now now, whiny lizard boy. I got you breakfast AND lunch so you could fill in the void in that tiny amphibian brain of yours.”

“Lizards are reptiles.” Hyukjae deadpanned but proceeded to take his food and sat down on his couch. He kept the other meal in his fridge to reheat later.

“What did I just say? Anyway, what is your opinion on Giraffes?”

“They’re alright I guess. Tall as so I don’t really vibe with them.” Heechul hummed. He brought his finger to his mouth.

“What about the paradox? Do you know what a paradox is?”

“No.”

“Do you know that Filipino restaurant just outside the Engineering campus?”

“Yeah. What about it?”

“I went there last night and I had the best dinner in my life, in like ever. I had the chicken dish, what was it called, Abobo?”

“Hyung, I don’t have the sense of coherence to think straight right now let alone entertain your questions no one could ever answer.” Hyukjae rubbed his face and yawned. Mind still groggy from lack of sleep and having the bootleg version of ing Vsauce in his presence isn’t really helping.

“You never thought straight though.”

Hyukjae ignored him and just drizzled his pancakes with syrup. He took a sip from his latte and closed his eyes in gratitude for the person who invented this heavenly food.

“What are you gonna do this summer break?” Silence.

“Why are you still here?”

“I booked a room in a beach resort in Busan. I’m thinking of bringing you along with me but since you’re being a meanie, I might just give it to my other favorite dongsaeng instead.” Heechul sighed, faking his sad tone.

Hyukjae’s attention turned towards his older friend.

“Heechullie hyung~ You know I didn’t really mean it. You know how I get when I get woken up dead tired.” Hyukjae shook his hyung’s arm and batted his eyelashes.

“Oh but hyukkie~ you hurt my poor little fragile heart so you have to keep convincing me~”

“Hyuuuung, pleeeease please please. I want to go, let me gooo”

Heechul pulled his arm from hyukjae’s hold and stood up. He breathe out and straightened up “I’m leaving now, I hope your bratty attitude is all worth it. Goodbye.”

Hyukjae pouted as he watched Heechul walked out of his door. He looked at where Heechul sat and saw a ticket to the resort accommodation on his couch.

He ran to his door and screamed “I LOVE YOU SO MUCH HYUNG!!” He heard a snicker before the elevator closed and he smiled from happiness, thinking about the long beach and blue waves as he ventured in the shore. Imagining the tickle of white sand on his toes.

He didn’t realize he was still staring and smiling at the closed elevator til he saw some of his student neighbors passing by, looking at him weirdly. He quickly went inside his dorm to prepare for his day.

-

Hyukjae just finished his exam that day. He was basically a walking log from his exhausting afternoon. He went to the University’s cafe to get his second coffee of the day and to freshen up his battered brain.

Sitting on a corner table near the counter. Hyukjae was quietly sipping his Iced Vanilla Latte. He felt how his exhaustion is slowly dissipating thanks to his brave saviour— caffeine and sugar. He was minding his own business, oblivious to his surroundings. That is until he heard the bell ring. He panned his eyes towards the new comers inside the cafe. He felt like the heaven’s opened its gate and showed the best thing in that place. He didn’t know such angelic beauty could be personified by a mortal just like himself. Somewhere from behind, Hyukjae’s Kdrama OST started playing. Everything moved in slow motion and the man he has been mesmerized by was suddenly pulled into Hyukjae’s wild imagination of having a future in a countryside home with their 3 kids and a dog.

Hyukjae wasn’t aware that a drop of drool had escaped from the corner of his mouth and landed in his latte. One thing’s for sure though. He was incredibly (and willingly) damned.