The Case

My Mine

 

 

“YOU DID WHAT??????” Bong Jaehyun’s eyes were as round as his mouth. The news that came from his friend’s mouth was not a good one. Well, at the very least not to him.

 

“Shhh. Lower it down. Everyone is looking at us.” hushed Donghyun with a finger on his mouth. He then looked around and noticed that everyone in the cafe had gone back to what they were doing previously.

 

“But Kim Donghyun. Are you crazy??” asked Bong Jaehyun, almost screeching under his breath. 

 

“No. Yes. Maybe? I don’t know.” sighed Donghyun while stirring his hot cup of earl grey tea.

 

“So, let me get this straight. You’ve only met this person once-”

 

“Twice.” corrected Donghyun.

 

“Okay, but the second time he blackmailed you. So that doesn’t really count.”

 

“We were supposed to meet yesterday but he cancelled it at the last minute. That would be counted as the second time then.”

 

“Oh wow, not even married yet and he’s already breaking a promise.” huffed Jaehyun in disbelief.

“It’s not a promise.” said Donghyun before sipping his hot tea; the most suitable drink to start off that year’s Spring.

 

“Why are you defending him?”

 

“I’m not. It just-” once again Donghyun released a deep sigh; for God knows how many times already since Hong Joochan's surprise visit the other day. Plus, he was conflicted about telling Jaehyun where he had used his money. He didn’t want to worry him since knowing Jaehyun, if he found out about what Donghyun had been doing, he would definitely offer help. Donghyun had received so much unpayable help from the Bong family and decided to put a stop since he could already stand on his own two feet.

 

Well, almost.


 

“Are you really not gonna tell me what he blackmailed you with?” question Jaehyun, curious.

 

“Hmm, let’s talk about that another time, okay? So, why Jibeom isn’t with us today? I thought your husband was eager to hangout with me again? Just us three?” Donghyun tried his best to distract Jaehyun. It usually worked when Donghyun switched the topic to Jibeom.

 

“Don’t change the topic, Kim Donghyun!” frowned Jaehyun before slapping Donghyun’s thigh.

 

‘Oh -’

 

“What topic?” a sudden question came from behind, prompting them to look at the source of the voice.

 

“Nothing, Kim Jibeom. I thought you weren’t coming.” answered Donghyun.

 

“Got caught up at work, just now. So, why did you want to meet us?” questioned Jibeom while putting his suitcase on the empty chair beside Donghyun and took his place next to his beloved husband, Bong Jaehyun.

 

“Ah, that… I’ll just let Bong Jaehyun explain to you for extra dramatic effect.” smiled Donghyun.

 

A few minutes later...

 

“YOU DID WHAT???” Kim Jibeom’s already round eyes became even rounder.

 

“Oh my God. Pipe it down. No wonder you guys are married.” groaned Donghyun. Though deep down, he wanted to laugh at how similar their reactions were.

 

“So there’s that.” continued Donghyun; avoiding eye contact with those two pairs of eyes that were genuinely concerned about the abrupt decision that their best friend took. 

 

“What do you mean ‘there’s that’?” asked Jibeom, mocking Donghyun at the later part of the question.

 

“I’ve signed the contract thingy guys. His lawyer already took the file away. So, we are kinda already engaged.” smiled Donghyun bitterly. He never thought that the word ‘engaged’ would come out of his mouth but here he was.

 

“Of all people, Hong Joochan? The heir of Kitsune Corp? Do you know that their business is pretty shady?” asked Jaehyun non-stop.

 

“Yes. Yes. and actually No. Can you explain more about that?” questioned Donghyun even though he had a rough idea on how shady Hong Joochan seemed- the confidence he had about ending that person definitely said it all.

 

“My father did tell me a little bit about them. A family made up of Alphas will always be up to no good. Do you remember the drug incident at Lotus street?” questioned Jaehyun.

 

“No, not really.” answered Donghyun.

 

“The one where a few people were killed mercilessly? Since the victims were drug addicts, the police concluded that the murderers were drug dealers. I find it weird that none was actually captured and the police closed the case just like that.” explained Jibeom while hugging himself.

 

“Well, some of my friends who were working on the post mortem of the bodies were mysteriously transferred to other hospitals for no reason at all. However, one of them did tell me the conditions of the body though.” 

 

“Bae Seungmin?” Jibeom interfered while rolling his eyes.

 

“This is NOT the time to be jealous, Kim Jibeom.”

 

“He still texts you from time to time, no?”

 

“Yes. As a friend and a fellow medicine practitioner to another.” explained Jaehyun to his husband.

 

“Guys! Guys! Can you please bring your PDA somewhere else?” requested Donghyun’ pretending to gag.

 

“Sorry about that. Where was I? Oh yeah, he told me when the bodies arrived, they didn’t look human.”

 

“What are you trying to say….?” asked Donghyun even though at the back of his mind, he had some ideas of what Jaehyun meant.

 

“Well, some of the victims had their insides ripped inside out and half of them were dry.”

 

“Dry?” asked Donghyun, not catching up to what Jaehyun was saying.

 

“Dry as in not a single drop of blood left in their body.” explained Jaehyun, half whispering, not wanting the waitress who delivered Jibeom’s drink to hear what they were talking about.

 

“Maybe they just bled out or something?” hypothesized Donghyun.

 

“No. It’s impossible for it to happen scientifically.” denied Jaehyun while shaking his head.

 

“Well, thousands of years ago, male couldn’t give birth, and look at where we are now.” Jibeom smirked while looking at Jaehyun and Donghyun.

 

“Can you please tell your husband to shut up or I will make him-” threatened Donghyun while putting his fingers together, forming a fist on the table.

 

“Sorry, sorry, I was just kidding. I was trying to lighten up the mood. Okay? Sorry Donghyun. And I’m sorry, Jaehyun” apologized Jibeom after realizing he had crossed the boundary.

 

 He knew how sensitive Donghyun was when it came to his traits as an Omega. He cursed himself a few times at the thought of what Donghyun had been through and how his words could actually hurt Donghyun a lot. He met Donghyun at the same time he met Jaehyun; his beloved husband. If it wasn’t for Donghhyun, they wouldn’t be together right now. The happiness that they had achieved right now; they owed it all to Donghyun.

 

“It’s okay, Jibeom. Jaehyun, you can stop pinching his tum-tum now.” smiled Donghyun, trying to hold back his giggle.

 

“I’m sorry. My husband could be so out of control sometimes.” apologized Jaehyun, putting his palms together.

 

“Put him on leash or something-”

 

“I will consider your suggestion.”

 

“What the f-”

 

“Anyhow, some of the evidence that led to the murderers actually led back to Kitsune Corp but rumours had it that every single piece of evidence was destroyed into thin air when a fire broke out at one of the evidence rooms in the district.” explained Jaehyun further, ignoring his husband who then finally gave up on getting mad at him.

 

“What?” Jaehyun’s explanation left Donghyun in awe since if those were true, then he did waltz into a super dangerous territory. However, at the corner of his heart, he felt a strange relief since this would mean that Hong Joochan was powerful enough to end… them. 

 

“Well, those are just rumours but who knows. I know this is just a contract marriage, but please be wary of your surroundings, Donghyun. We aren’t related by blood but you are like a brother to me.” said Jaehyun while reaching for Donghyun’s right hand on the table. He then squeezed those slender long fingers firmly.

 

“We owe a lot to you, Donghyun. I owe a lot to you. Please, please be careful. You should’ve showed me the contract before signing it. You literally got a the best lawyer in town in front of you.” added Jibeom; joining Jaehyun squeezing Donghyun’s left hand.

 

“I know how to take care of myself, guys. Don’t worry too much. It might be over without us even realizing it.” beamed Donghyun, trying to convince his beloved friends that he was fine. Like how he always did, all these years.

 

“Oh… so.. Who’s going to tell mom and dad? Me? Or you?” wondered Jaehyun.

 

“I’ll do it… I mean knowing your mom, she’ll probably freak out.” said Donghyun, releasing both of his hands from his friends’ grips.

 

“Good luck. Oh by the way-”

 

Jaehyun’s sentence was interrupted by a sudden ringtone coming from Donghyun’s backpack. He then signaled Jaehyun to pause for a minute while he picked up the phone.

 

“Where are you?” asked the voice at the end of the line without a greeting as soon as Donghyun answered his call.

 

“Somewhere. None of your business. Why?” asked Donghyun, cold.

“Let’s meet up tonight. I still need to explain some things about me and my family before I introduce you to my parents.” 

 

“Sure. Make sure you are present this time.I don’t know if waiting for someone who’s not coming for hours is your hobby since it is definitely not mine.” scoffed Donghyun.

 

“Something urgent came up and I couldn’t notify you earlier.”

 

“Too urgent you couldn’t even text me?”

 

“And if I said it was a life and death matter?” retorted Joochan.

 

“Yeah, whatever. Where are we meeting?” asked Donghyun, wanting to avoid knowing more than he should. Listening to Jaehyun’s story about all those bodies definitely instilled some sort of fear in his head.

 

“Oh, nevermind. Found you.” said Joochan; prompting Donghyun to turn around at the man who was coming out of the luxurious black car outside of the cafe. Joochan then ended the call and put the phone inside the pocket of his suit, underneath his favourite khaki long coat. His reddish brown hair was neatly slicked back, revealing his forehead.

 

“Oh , he’s here.” said Donghyun looking at his friends.

 

“Who?” asked Jibeom.

 

“Who else, look outside. He’s definitely coming inside. Quick! Pretend like we aren’t talking about him or something. Remember! You guys know nothing about the contract. It’s part of the contract not to talk about the contract with someone who’s not part of the contract!” instructed Donghyun in panic.

 

“Wow. I’ve never heard people put that many ‘contract’ in a sentence before. And I’m a lawyer-” sassed Jibeom.

 

“Oh damn, he’s opening the door. Get ready to leave, Jibeom. Take your suitcase with you.” whispered Jaehyun.

 

“I’m on it, darling.”

 

“Wait, you guys are leaving me?” 

 

“It’ll be awkward, so we’ll be leaving for now, okay. We love you.” said Jaehyun, getting ready to leave the table.

 

“Gentlemen, may I join?” requested Joochan as he arrived at their table.

 

“Oh sure. We’re leaving anyway. We have something important to do tonight.”

 

“We do?” asked Jibeom before his side was pinched by Jaehyun.

“Oh yes, we do. We’ll leave you two to talk.” continued Jibeom finally understanding his husband’s intention.

 

“Yeah, let’s introduce ourselves next time we meet.” smiled Jaehyun.

 

“Okay, see you again.” said Joochan with a smile while watching the couple leave the cafe. 

 

Well, more like escaping.

 

“So, they know about the contract?” asked Joochan.

 

“N-no.” denied Donghyun.

 

“I’ll just pretend I know nothing this once knowing how important they are to you.” compromised Joochan, making Donghyun wonder just how much Joochan knew about him- just how deep the background search was done?

 

“So, what’s the rush? I thought you were busy?”

 

“I was and still am. But I’ve accidentally told my parents about you and now they want to meet you.” explained Joochan calm; expressionless. Like he didn’t just drop a bomb on Donghyun.

 

“HUH???? You what?”

 

“You heard me the first time.” 

 

‘Ah , the river indeed flowed faster than we expected’