boink

hello, past and future (sunshine after the rain)

Handong was feeling particularly good today, smiling to herself as she strode into her office building. Her meeting with an investor from Singapore was going well; the result of the meeting would bring in millions worth of investment.

Smiling in triumph, she opened the door, already buzzing in excitement to tell the good news to her business partner (who was also her best friend).

Her heels stopped clacking against the cold floor when she saw Bora walking out of her room with a client.

"Handong, you're back! This is Dami, you know the famous music producer? She wants us to design her new building." Bora took the initiative to introduce them, “Dami, this is my business partner, Handong.”

Recognition flashed across Dami's face but it was gone as soon as it appeared.

“Nice to meet you,” Dami offered a polite smile and a handshake.

Handong gave her a once-over, taking in her tucked in black turtleneck and brown pants. She still looked the same, for the most part. Instead of her usual short haircut, her brown hair is a lot longer now. She looked older, more mature. There was an air of calmness that she still carried, while Handong herself was anything but calm. 

She looked at Dami’s extended hand, then up to her face and back to her hand again. She wished for the ground to open up and swallow her whole. A meteorite hitting their office right now wouldn't sound so bad. Anything rather than having to stand here for another second. 

The meteor strike didn't come, unfortunately, but her meteor strike came in the form of Kim Yoohyeon. 

“Hi! I’m Yoohyeon, Miss Han’s assistant,” a hand from her side quickly reached out to shake Dami’s hand, taking Handong out of her thoughts. She didn’t realise she was leaving Dami hanging but she was glad that her assistant was there to save her . 

Handong made a mental note to treat Yoohyeon to a nice meal sometime in the future.

“Um… Dami? Uh… It was nice to meet you.” she said, forcing a smile on her face before turning away and excusing herself. “Please excuse me, I need to go in now.” 

Handong avoided eye contact with her partner and quickly made her way inside. She saw the way Bora was frowning at her. 

Great, way to make it less obvious .  

Her leather chair squeaked as she sat behind her desk. She glanced up to the ceiling and groaned — feeling upset with herself. It wasn’t like Handong to lose her cool in front of other people. But it was just too overwhelming.

Dami. 

Lee Yubin.

“What was that?” Bora asked as soon as she closed the door behind her.

“What?” she asked, almost sharply.

“What's up with you? That was one of our big clients, and you couldn’t be nicer to her?” Bora stood in front of her desk now, hands on her hips.

Handong had never told Bora about her before. She didn’t feel the need to. In fact, she had never mentioned it to anyone. And right now, she was still trying to process the encounter and wasn’t ready to tell Bora about it yet. 

“I was tired. Sorry,” she lied.

Bora raised an eyebrow, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said, avoiding Bora’s attentive eyes. 

Bora squinted her eyes and studied the woman in front of her before moving closer to Handong, “Liar,” of course, Bora could see through her easily. “But it’s okay, I know you’ll tell me about it. Sooner or later.”

Handong scoffed at her best friend but smiled nonetheless. She hated that Bora was that sure of herself but they both knew it was the truth.

Handong changed the subject by telling Bora about her meeting with the investor instead. 
 

///////
 

The vibration against the wooden desk startled Handong out of her daze. It was coming from her work phone, the one she used to call her business contacts.

A message from an unknown number appeared on her screen:

 

Hey, I know this is inappropriate but I asked the front desk for your number. Can we meet? I’ll be waiting for you in the cafe across from your office. I’ll be here until 5.

- Yubin 

 

Handong was surprised Yubin actually reached out to her first. Was she ready to talk to Yubin again after all these years? She thought about the embarrassing episode earlier and sighed heavily. Admittedly, that was very unprofessional on her part.

Maybe this was the universe’s way of giving her a second chance?

After thinking about it for a while, Handong took her purse, ready to leave her office.

Sure, I’m coming down ,” she replied to the message.
 

///////
 

Talking with Yubin again had opened a mixed bag of emotions that she had once forgotten, but it also gave her the closure she needed.

Her university life used to be all about Yubin. People around them didn’t think they would match because the quiet Chinese girl from Business Admin and the bookworm from the Music department seemed like an unlikely pair. But they had more similarities than people would imagine, despite their language barrier. 

Yubin showed her love in her own way and Handong was more than grateful to receive it.

She would be lying if she said the breakup didn’t affect her at all. Yes, Handong dated other people after that but Yubin had left a huge void in her heart.  

She spent most of her 20s with Yubin. They even lived together after graduation. But both of them weren’t ready for what the real world could throw at them. Their small apartment was a witness to their crumbling relationship.

It was her first job after graduation and Handong was trying so hard to prove her place in the company that she even sacrificed her weekends. She would come home to an empty house because Yubin would be cooped up in her studio. 

Some nights, they’d fall asleep in separate rooms. The time they spent together became less and less.

And when they were together, all they would do was fight. It was just about trivial things at first.

Dirty dishes left overnight, dirty socks left at the door, unanswered phone calls. Eventually, frustrations turned into resentment.

And soon enough, they fought over bigger things. Then, it happened, the elephant in the room.

The fight that none of them was ready to face, words that none of them was ready to hear.

Handong knew it was coming, saw it from afar, even. But to actually watch Yubin leaving her? That was what hurt her the most. She wondered what went wrong. Were they too young? Should she spend less time working and more time for Yubin? Should she be more understanding of Yubin? Was it her fault? Was it Yubin’s fault? 

The questions haunted her for a while.

“Sometimes, an ending doesn’t always mean the end. It could be a new beginning,” was what Yubin said to her 12 years ago before leaving their apartment, taking her belongings with her. 

Belongings that they once shared together. 

And after 12 long years, Handong could finally make peace with their ending.

 

///////

 

“Miss Han?” Yoohyeon appeared behind the door, her head peeking inside.

“Yoohyeon? Why are you still here?”

“I was finishing some paperwork. Why are you drinking alone?” Yoohyeon asked, as she walked towards the cabinet and took out a wine glass. She pulled a chair and sat across Handong, “Can I join you?”

“Since when do you ask for my permission?” Handong asked, teasing her assistant before pouring a glass of wine for her.

Handong used to be irked by Yoohyeon’s way of working. Yoohyeon would dive in head-first, something that Handong didn’t appreciate initially. She used to think Yoohyeon was reckless, but thanks to Yoohyeon’s bold decisions, it had helped them land a few projects. Yoohyeon has proven herself to be more than just an assistant.

Well, it’s no surprise she would do a great job, Yoohyeon was hired because of her impressive résumé after all—graduating from a prestigious university with three foreign languages under her belt. But as carefree as Yoohyeon was, she knew her boundary and still respected Handong, and that was what Handong liked about her.

Yoohyeon smiled sheepishly before asking, “But is it really fine if I sit with you? You seemed like you need a company.” 

“What do you mean?” Handong asked, surprised at her assistant’s suggestion.

“The meeting with the investor this morning was a success, usually we would’ve gone celebrating tonight. And you didn’t talk much today... Is there something bothering you, Miss Han?” Yoohyeon looked concerned.

Handong let out a laugh, “You’re so observant huh, Yoohyeon? Well, something did happen today, but if anything, I think I feel most at peace right now.”

“That’s great, then,” Yoohyeon nodded. Looking at the subtle frown on her face, she probably didn’t understand what Handong was talking about, but she didn’t prod further. “What song is this, Miss Han?” 

An upbeat piano melody was playing from her laptop. For the first time after the breakup, Handong played the CD Yubin had gifted to her during their anniversary. There were all the songs Yubin had written for her. This song, in particular, was written in their second year of university after Yubin got back from her Basic Composition class. She remembered how happy Yubin was when she finished the song. Funnily enough, the song wasn’t actually about her, but it was about Handong’s Scottish fold, Nannan.

“It was a song from someone I cherished,” her lips curled into a smile as the memory came back to her. She only remembered the painful part that she almost forgot the joy and happiness she felt when they were together.

“Who is it?” 

“Just an old friend.”

Yoohyeon looked at her for a while, “I hope they make you happy, Miss Han,” Yoohyeon said with a kind smile, “You deserve nothing less.” 

She couldn’t remember when was the last time someone genuinely wished for her happiness.

“Thank you Yoohyeon,” Handong smiled at Yoohyeon; she truly felt touched, “but yeah, she did. She did make me happy, actually.”  

Handong could easily change the subject, talk about anything. Because it’s her private matter after all. But there’s this lightness in her chest now, like a heavy burden had been lifted. And Yoohyeon made it so easy for Handong to talk to her. 

(Or maybe it’s just the alcohol in her bloodstream.)

In the end, she ended up telling Yoohyeon about Yubin. She even let Yoohyeon listen to some other songs Yubin wrote for her — even at the risk of Bora killing her. 

And for once and for all, she felt like it wasn't such a big secret. 

 

///////

 

“Miss Han!” Handong was in her fourth glass when Yoohyeon got up all of a sudden, slamming the desk, and surprising Handong in her wake.

Handong looked at Yoohyeon, her cheeks were already flushing red. After 3 years of working together, their late-night-drinking-after-work has taught her that Yoohyeon got drunk fast and she was the type of drunk who will give you a really, really encouraging pep-talk. 

“What?” Handong asked, already used to this side of Yoohyeon.

Yoohyeon lunged forward and cupped Handong’s face, stumbling a little bit before slowly leaning closer to her boss. Handong blinked a few times.

“You deserve all the happiness in this world, Miss Han!” Yoohyeon looked at her in the eyes and somehow managed to say it to her without stuttering, despite in her drunken state. “Don’t let anyone hurt you, okay?”

Handong nodded in understanding while moving her head back, pulling it away. But Yoohyeon wouldn’t let go.

“Okay, okay, Yoohyeon. I got it,” she said, but Yoohyeon held tighter and she could feel how warm Yoohyeon was, how strong she was.  

She really had no idea why Yoohyeon was doing this tonight. She was never this touchy with her. 

With Yoohyeon's brown eyes still holding onto her intensely, she didn’t realise how close their faces were. The room started to feel hotter and the alcohol began to kick in. She felt like she was going to explode.

"Miss Han..." Yoohyeon said, almost whispering.

Handong avoided Yoohyeon's eyes and averted her gaze. Glancing down, she noticed a mole on the bridge of her nose for the first time. And slowly, her eyes fell on her lips.

Her heart skipped a beat. She swallowed nervously. Her thoughts went haywire as she stared at those red lips for a beat too long, thinking how their lips were just inches apart, and if she leaned in just a litt--

Get yourself together! 

She shook her thoughts, telling herself it’s the alcohol talking and tried to pry Yoohyeon’s hands away. 

But God, Yoohyeon did not budge. But then she started squeezing Handong's face—pinching and kneading her cheeks—like those bao buns her mom used to make, “Your cheeks so soft. Soft cheeks. Mandu, mandu, mandu, mandu ! ” she giggled before falling flat on the desk. A loud thud could be heard when her forehead hit the surface.

“What the-- Hey, you can’t sleep here! Yoohyeon! Hey, Kim Yoohyeon!”

Handong felt a blush spread across her cheeks as heat crept up her neck. She was left flustered and dumbfounded at what had just transpired. 
 

///////

 

It was already deep into the night. Aside from her table lamp, the light from her laptop screen and the glow of the city, the rest of the room was dark and quiet. The only sound in the office was the faint hum of the air conditioning unit and the occasional click or squeak of her keys as she typed on the laptop. She tried to make as little sound as possible, not wanting to disturb her assistant who had been lulled into oblivion on the sofa. 

Outside, a small rumbling of thunder started making its way into the dark. A pitter-patter of rain can be heard not long after, knocking against the office’s glass window. 

A rustling sound coming from the sofa made Handong stopped typing. She tilted her head to the side and saw Yoohyeon stirred awake, looking lost and confused. The blazer she had put on top of sleeping Yoohyeon earlier slid down as she sat up.

“Miss Han?” she asked drowsily. “What are you-- Where am I?”

“You fell asleep earlier. I put a bottle of water for you there, in case you’re thirsty,” Handong pointed at the table next to the sofa.

“Thanks, Miss Han,” Yoohyeon reached for the bottle and took a long swig of water before coughing and choking on her water, “Oh god, my mom!” she quickly scrambled around to find her phone.

“She called your phone earlier. I picked it up and told her you’re working late tonight.”

“Ah… thanks, Miss Han,” Yoohyeon scratched the back of her neck, “Sorry you had to do that. Did she say anything else?”

Handong crossed her hands and leaned against her seat, trying to recall the phone call, and how Yoohyeon's mother subtly complained to her for always making her daughter work overtime -- she reminded herself to make sure Yoohyeon leaves work on time next time. 

"No, nothing else."

She saw Yoohyeon’s shoulders visibly relaxed.

“Sorry I fell asleep,” Yoohyeon scratched the back of her neck, “What time is it? I should go back now.” 

Handong glanced at the clock on her laptop and was surprised at how late it was, “Just sleep here, it’s too dangerous for you to go out now.”

Yoohyeon hesitated for a moment, “Is it okay? What are you doing there?”

“Just looking over the report for tomorrow’s meeting. I’ll wake you up before anyone arrives, don’t worry.”

Yoohyeon lay back down on the sofa and curled herself under Handong’s blazer.

A moment passed and Yoohyeon’s voice caught her attention again, “Um… Miss Han?” she called from the sofa.

“Yeah?”

“I know you’re busy and it’s okay if you don’t want to do it, I totally understand. It’s silly, I know but it’s just--”

“What is it, Yoohyeon?”

“Can you… Can you do your work here?” she asked softly. “I can’t sleep when it’s raining.”

Handong turned her back and looked outside. The rain had fallen harder and it’s getting louder now, flashes of lightning filtered through the curtain. It was showing no sign of stopping.

She looked back at Yoohyeon, amused, “Are you scared of the rain, Yoohyeon?”

“Not rain, just thunderstorms.”

Handong chuckled at the frustrated pout on Yoohyeon’s face, “Alright.”

She picked up her laptop and walked to the chair next to Yoohyeon’s. After the embarrassing incident this morning, that Yoohyeon had successfully saved her from, it’s the least she could do for her.

“Thank you, Miss Han,” Yoohyeon said quietly, and Handong just waved her dismissively, saying it’s no big deal.

And soon enough, Handong could hear Yoohyeon’s soft breathing again.

 

///////

 

The rain was still falling outside, and the air in the room was getting colder. The chill had crept in under her thin shirt, biting her skin. Another crash of thunder made Handong jump in her seat. 

“Mom...” a quiet voice from the sofa caught Handong’s attention, forcing her to turn away from her laptop. She peered at Yoohyeon and kept her ears open, “Mom…” Yoohyeon called out for her mother again with her hand flailing in the air. 

Worried, Handong got up and went to take a look at her assistant. Yoohyeon was frowning and mumbling incoherent words in her sleep. “Hey, Yoohyeon,” Handong said softly, not wanting to startle her.

“Mom… School, no...” Handong almost burst into laughter because Yoohyeon said it with a deep frown on her face. 

Feeling cheeky, Handong decided to play along, “You have to go. The teachers are gonna be mad at you.”

Yoohyeon waved her hands around while shaking her head, eyes still closing shut, “No, no, mmmhh... raining,” she muttered an excuse.

It was so childish of her. And Handong did feel bad but she was having too much fun with this. Stifling another laugh, she continued to whisper next to Yoohyeon’s ear, “I brought an umbrella for you.”

“Okay, mom,” Handong held her laugh when Yoohyeon reached out for the umbrella. She tried so hard to hold her laugh, she could barely breathe.

When she finally caught her breath, she tried to stand back up but she wasn’t prepared when Yoohyeon yanked her arm, making her stumble on the floor. Her face almost planted on Yoohyeon’s chest.

Handong tried to balance herself before trying to pull her hand away. Gently, she pulled her arm slowly, only for it to be yanked back and gripped tightly by Yoohyeon.

After struggling for a while, she surrendered and accepted her fate. There's no doubt, Yoohyeon was strong, even in her sleep.

Now that she ended up in this predicament, she really regretted her decision for teasing Yoohyeon.

With her left arm in Yoohyeon’s embrace, she rested her cheek on the sofa. She was so close to Yoohyeon, she could feel her breath against her hair. She tilted her head up a little and her eyes were met with Yoohyeon’s face.

Up close, she could see her long eyelashes and her small mouth gaping slightly in sleep. She looked peaceful like that. A ghost of a smile graced Handong’s lips.

Cute, she thought, then she let out a long sigh.

She wasn’t blind, she knew Yoohyeon was beautiful. She acknowledged that. It’s just… she never made Handong’s heart flutter like this before.

The incident earlier must’ve messed up her head.

 

What did I get myself into?

 

///////

 

When Bora arrived at the office the next morning, the cold morning air enveloped the office and the sky outside was still dark. The dawn’s sun still hadn't made its appearance yet. Bora had to stop by the office to drop off documents before her flight to Jeju. 

She shook her head in disapproval when she saw light coming from Handong’s office. Handong was working late, again. She appreciated the amount of effort and dedication her friend gave to their company — the company that they built together from the bottom. But sometimes she wished Handong would’ve toned it down a little and take it easy.

Bora made her way to Handong’s office, pushing the door slowly, not wanting to spook her friend. Her eyes widened at the sight before her.

Handong was cross-legging on the carpeted floor. Her head on the sofa, with her hand draping over Yoohyeon's chest like she was… hugging her? That looked rather uncomfortable. 

But if Handong was willing to be uncomfortable for Yoohyeon, then…, she gasped

Bora laughed in disbelief — quietly, of course — she couldn't believe Handong didn't tell her anything about this. When did all of this happen, anyway?

Looking at her watch, their employees might come to work soon, and she had a flight to catch. As much as she approved of this relationship, it probably wouldn't look good to other employees if their boss and her assistant were caught being intimate like this. 

Being the good friend that she was, she decided to wake Handong up, but not before taking a few photos and sending them to her wife. 

Handong woke up frantically, trying her best to explain to a smirking Bora that it’s not what it looks like. Yoohyeon, on the other hand, was a flustered mess, too embarrassed to even say anything.

Little did they know, despite the awkward and disastrous misunderstanding, it was a new start for both of them.


 

 

 

bonus

After weeks and weeks and weeks of begging for a double date -- that it ended up being months -- Handong finally relented to Bora’s wish. She didn’t want to make Yoohyeon uncomfortable at first because they were still in the early stage of the relationship and still trying to make this whole boss/girlfriend/assistant thing work (it was hard, by the way). And, meeting your girlfriend’s best friends could be nerve-wracking (even though Yoohyeon sees Bora every day at work, but the point still stands). 

Besides, who would want to go on a double date with their boss?

But Yoohyeon -- god bless, her girlfriend (she still feels giddy at the thought of Yoohyeon being her girlfriend) -- immediately said yes when Handong asked her, and so here they are, in Bora and Minji’s house, having the dinner specially cooked by the couple.

“Handong, I have waited for a long time to show you this,” Bora says, after finishing her meal. She takes out her phone and scrolls through it before showing Handong what’s on the screen. 

Handong gasps in disbelief. It was a picture of her and Yoohyeon from that night. “Why do you even have this?!” she snatches the phone from Bora’s hand.

Yoohyeon hooks her arm with Handong's and leans closer, “Aww look at us, we’re kinda cute,” Yoohyeon gushes. 

“Yoohyeon, don’t encourage her!” Handong says, disapprovingly. “You creep,” she says to Bora. 

“Hey, I’m no creep,” Bora objects before continuing, “I had to show Minji that. Our Handong is all grown up. Aren’t you proud of our little DongDong, babe?” Bora asks her wife while dramatically wiping her fake tears.

“Why don’t you just show it to the whole world while you’re at it,” Handong rolls her eyes. “You’re so annoying!”

“Hey, don’t say that to her,” Minji pouts, defending her wife. 

Handong groans when she sees the teasing smile on her friends’ faces, “Fine. You both are annoying,” she concludes.

“So, how is everything going between you two? Have you slept together yet?” asks Bora, as she refilling their glasses.

Yoohyeon starts coughing and spluttering, almost spraying her drink all over the table. Handong gives Bora a pointed look while calmly holding out a napkin to Yoohyeon.

“Really, Bora?” Handong looks at her with a straight face.

“Is that a yes?” Bora smirks, a glint of mischievousness gleams in her eyes.

“Baby, don’t scare our guests off, okay?” Minji chuckles nervously while patting Bora’s arm.

Minji changes the subject by asking Yoohyeon about her puppy, and Handong is grateful she can always count on Minji to somehow save the situation.

They all later fell into a conversation and her best friends took this opportunity to get to know Yoohyeon better. Watching her best friends quickly warm up to Yoohyeon as her girlfriend, her heart burst with pride. 

This image of her favourite persons getting along, laughing together made her feel fuzzy inside. 

Maybe this double date wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

Because there is Yoohyeon, with her hand on Handong’s thigh, loosely holding her hand under the table and keeping it warm, making it even better.