Dance competition

A ballet play

‘If someone likes your photos, does that mean they’re in love with you?’ Nayeon shook the sleepyhead next to her.  

‘Unnie, you sound like a teenager who believes in name initials and star signs compatibility.' Dahyun stretched her arms and groaned. 'No offense though.'

‘Listen, I posted it 9 seconds ago and she already liked it. She even commented ‘cute.’’ Nayeon shoved the phone screen into Dahyun’s face.

‘But you posted a photo of a dog…’ Dahyun sighed, quickly fixing her posture upon hearing the footsteps outside. 'Unnie, shush.' 

'Listen to me-' 

‘Nayeon, Dahyun, stop gossiping.’ Professor Jihyo entered, her voice being as loud as usual. ‘Let’s start by reviewing your homework.’

 

-----

 

‘Dahyun, you can leave. Nayeon, please stay here for a moment.’ Jihyo said.

‘Did you get yourself in trouble?’ Dahyun elbowed the elder.

‘I have no idea.’ Nayeon whispered. ‘You should go before she gets mad.’

‘Alright, I’ll get going then. See you tomorrow Mrs. Park.’ Dahyun bowed and dashed out of the room.

‘Take a seat.’ Jihyo gestured. ‘Actually, I want to ask you a favor.’

‘A…a favor?’ Nayeon stuttered. 

‘You know, there’s a dance competition coming up next month. The new Japanese girl, what was her name again? Uh, oh yes, Myoui Mina. She’s going to perform ballet with a partner.’

‘What does that have to do with me?’ Nayeon asked suspiciously.

‘Let me get straight to the point. Her partner had an injury and she’s at risk of not being able to perform. I heard that you have experience of doing ballet, so you might consider helping her out.’ Jihyo explained.

‘I'll do it!’ Nayeon shouted without a second thought.

‘You’ll do it?’  

‘Yes! I’ll take it! Thank you so much!’ Nayeon nodded and held Jihyo’s hands gratefully.

‘I should be the one to thank you…’ Jihyo smiled in confusion. 

 

-----

 

‘Ya, guess what Mrs. Park told me.’ Nayeon excitedly called Dahyun. 

‘Did you get a bad grade this time? Or did she complain about how much I sleep during her class? How about my grade? Did she plan on meeting our parents?’ Dahyun held her breaths. 

‘Idiot, she asked me a favor.’ Nayeon rolled her eyes. 

‘A favor? What favor?’ Dahyun was caught by surprise. 

‘She asked me to partner up with Mina for the dance competition.’ Nayeon proudly revealed. ‘Hey! Why aren't you congratulating me! Your reaction is nowhere near enthusiastic.’ 

‘Well about that, I’m partnering up with Momo. We’re also in the dance competition. Aren’t we like-rivals at this point?’ 

'Rivals?'