Banana Bread

Blue ribbon

Wendy woke up curled in her bed, still wearing yesterday’s clothes. Feeling soft fur gently grazing her skin, she saw how Snowball laid closely snuggled to her chest, still deep in his peaceful slumber. Wendy slowly blinked, as she recalled the previous night’s events.


 

“I’d like you to be there.”


 

She remembered nervously hanging up, and having laid on her bed before everything had gone dark. And now, there she was. Wendy slightly tilted her head to look at the clock on her nightstand, the numbers 7:36 faintly shimmering in blue light. She decided to get up from her bed, careful not to disturb her pet’s sleep, and after changing into comfortable clothes, she quietly opened her bedroom door to head to the kitchen.


 

Her apartment was quiet, the faint sound of cars passing by the street below being her only company as she placed her favorite mug on her coffee machine, pressing the button on it’s side. Resting her forearms on the counter, Wendy couldn’t stop thinking about the conversation with her mother, still failing to make any sense of her tone when she had spoken.


 

“I’ll think about it.”


 

With a tired sigh, she took the cup of coffee in her hands, as she made her way to her sunlit balcony. Once outside, she was greeted with the rising sun shining on the plants hanging from the railing, along with the frosty feel of the January breeze against her cheeks. Her fingers curled around the porcelain mug, while she tilted her face towards the light, happily searching for it’s tender warmth. After taking a seat on one of the small chairs, with her coffee still in hand, Wendy took her phone out of her pijama’s pocket, opening her best friend’s chat.


 

Wannie [07:48]

 

Morning lazybones~

 

You’ll probably sleep until noon today, but I just wanted to let you know I finally called my mother yesterday :)

 

Call you later to catch up!!


 

Wendy would rather keep it vague, not having to worry her friend about any details on how it went until they actually spoke. Locking her phone, she sat there for a while, enjoying the calm stillness of everything around her. The last couple of days had made her grateful to have a moment of respite from her constantly moving reality. Sundays brought an end to the week, yet Wendy still felt like there was something left she still had to do that day. So, after a short while, she headed back inside with a clear intention, and after ten minutes, she was stepping foot outside her building, a certain skip present in her step.


 

***


 

Strolling along the familiar street, Wendy stopped before the doorway to an old apartment complex at the very center of the city. She shuffled around her bag for a moment, finally taking out a pair of keys and opening the large metal gate, before stepping into the small lobby. As she climbed up the staircase to the second floor, the brunette ran her hand through her hair, a little bit messy from the morning breeze. 


 

Standing before the white door, the large letter ‘B’ looked Wendy right back in the eye, while faint jazz music resonated from the inside of the apartment. She lifted her hand to press the doorbell, her mood brightening at the familiar ring.


 

“Coming!!” A cheerful voice said from the other side, followed by light shuffling.


 

Wendy chuckled to herself, patting away stray specks of dust from her coat, before the door opened before her. A smile instantly spread across her face when she saw the elderly woman before her, her gray hair in a bun, and an apron tied around her waist.


 

“Wannie, sweetheart!” Anne greeted her excitedly, stepping closer to hug her granddaughter heartily.


 

“Hi, gran.” The brunette said, her voice softening being in her grandma’s embrace.


 

Pulling away, Anne softly caressed Wendy’s cheek, with a soft smile. “Wow, you look more beautiful with each passing day, dear.” Her warm expression changed to excitement as she clasped her hands. “Oh, but come in, come in! You actually caught me in the middle of baking, but lucky you, because you’re just the assistant I need.” She said, as they both made their way inside.


 

Wendy looked around while they headed to the kitchen. The music was clearer now, and she could recognise the familiar tunes that had long been Anne’s favorite. The cozy apartment had always brought her a sense of calmness and warmth, and looking at the soft sunlight coming through the windows, a familiar sort of happiness bloomed inside Wendy’s heart.


 

The counter was lined with bags of flour and various baking utensils, but it was when Wendy laid her eyes on the bananas next to a large bowl that her eyes lit up in surprise.


 

“Banana bread?” She asked Anne, who nodded in amusement.


 

“My little girl’s favorite.” She said,winking at Wendy before turning around to open one of the wooden cabinets. “Now, where did I place it..?” She mumbled to herself, looking for something.


 

“Ah, here it is!” Anne announced, turning to Wendy with a light blue apron in hand. Handing it to her granddaughter, she looked fondly at her. “I remember when this used to be big on you.”


 

Wendy took it in her hands, remembering the days she would bake with her grandma on the weekends before heading to the park.


 

“I almost tripped on it all the time, because it reached all the way to my feet.” Wendy chuckled, tying it’s straps behind her back.


 

“But look at you, you’re even taller than me now!” Anne said, dramatically throwing her hands in the air.  “Anyhow, would you mind making the dough while I preheat the oven, dear?”


 

“Of course.” Wendy replied, taking one of the bowls and mixing a few cups of flour with water and baking soda. Adding some salt and sugar, Wendy relaxed as she followed the familiar motions. She had baked with her grandma countless times before, and it had become an activity laced with good memories, always bringing her a feeling of peace whenever her hands kneaded the dough.


 

Anne had mashed a couple of bananas after heating the oven, and having poured them into Wendy’s bowl, she started to leave the dirty dishes in the sink. 


 

“So, how are you doing, sweetheart? It’s been a minute since you came over to visit this old lady.” Anne lightheartedly said.


 

Wendy’s brows furrowed, feeling slightly guilty. “I know, I’m sorry, life’s just been kind of a lot lately.” She explained, still mixing the ingredients. “Well… I’m happy.” She grinned. “I’m working at the city’s museum, I live in a wonderful apartment, and both Snowball and my friends are healthy. I’ve got more than I could ever ask for.” She contently said, placing the mix into a baking mold.


 

“Oh Snowball, that little rascal. I remember when he was just a little kitten, running all around the place.” Anna said, opening the oven’s door.


 

“Want to make the honors?” She asked a cheerful Wendy, who eagerly placed the container in the oven, setting the timer to 40 minutes.


 

“All set, sit down, sweetheart, I’ll make some tea.” Anne told Wendy, before taking out a couple of mugs and tea bags.


 

Wendy sat down on the living room’s sofa, watching  as her grandma started to boil some water. “Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something.” She started, taking a deep  breath before speaking again.


 

“I want to fix my relationship with my mother.”


 

Anne paused for an instant, listening attentively.


 

“Even though we might’ve not had the best relationship… I want to change things, at least with her, since I’m not sure I want to talk to my father yet.” The old woman picked up the two mugs, setting them on the table before Wendy, as well as a small jar with sugar cubes.


 

“Your parents, sweetheart.” Anne carefully sat down. “They’re… difficult people.” She sighed, dropping a small sugar cube in her drink.


 

“Ever since you were little, they never cared for you like they should have, and no matter how much I tried to shield you from it, I know you noticed it too.” Anne explained, while Wendy listened in silence.


 

“My daughter, your mother,” Anne said, a bittersweet smile on her face. “She had always wanted a child, and I had never seen her happier than the day you were born. You meant the world to her, she’d go on and on about how big you were getting and how she’d play with you all day.” Anne softly stirred her tea, taking a small sip before continuing.


 

“Unfortunately, at that time your father took up a new, demanding job, working long hours, and sometimes arriving home late at night. He pushed through for a couple of years, as you grew up to be six years old, but he ended up caving in under the stress, starting to drink in an attempt to numb the feeling.”


 

Wendy gulped, as memories of her father, with a bottle in hand, arguing with her mother in the middle of the living room came rushing in. 


 

“Your mother would tell him to stop and leave his job for a better one, even if he earned less money, but your father was far too stubborn. He ignored her pleas, and things got worse. My own daughter, the person I love most, would come to me, telling me how sad and angry she felt about his behavior, tired of the constant fighting about your father’s actions.” Anne took a deep breath.


 

“I watched with my own eyes as those feelings blinded her with despair and numbness, causing her to neglect you, her own daughter.”


 

Wendy’s eyes watered, feeling a pang of pain in her chest at her grandma’s words. A part of her felt like she was eight years old again, and had to watch how her own mother didn’t seem to care for her like she so desperately needed her to.


 

Anne wiped a stray tear from her own cheek, clasping her hands on top of her knees. “My once bright and lively daughter turned cold. The hurting had made her forget you were the child she loved so dearly, because she was busy drowning in her own grief.”


 

Wendy felt tighten around her own words. “I… I didn’t know about all this, I thought they had behaved like that from the beginning.” She paused, looking down at her feet, gulping.


 

“I thought, for the longest time, I was the problem.” 


 

“Sweetheart,” Anne looked at Wendy upon hearing her words, a sympathetic glint in her eye. “The way your mother behaved, the problems your father had, you didn’t deserve any of it, and to this day, I’m sure she still knows that.” Reaching over, she took her granddaughter’s hands in her own.


 

“That’s why I’m proud of you, proud that even after all you went through, you’re still willing to give her a chance to finally get to be the mother she never was.”


 

Wendy sighed, relaxing when she felt her grandma’s thumbs softly caress her palms. “I guess I’m proud of myself too.” She smiled, looking out the window. A couple beats of silence passed, when the familiar chime of the oven resonated across the living room.


 

“What do you say, want to give that banana bread a try?” Anne said, her eyebrows lifting at Wendy expectantly.


 

Wendy chuckled, looking gratefully at her grandma.


 

“Of course.”


 

***


It was noon when Wendy got home, and stepping into her apartment, she unlocked her phone, taking her shoes off by the entrance. Opening her messages, she saw Joy had answered her.


 

Cute Joy <3 [12:03]

Just woke up, but Wan, I’m so proud of u!!!

I’m actually free today, want me to come over instead of calling me?

 

Wendy quietly took pride in having guessed so accurately the time at which her best friend would wake up, dropping onto the sofa as she typed in her response.

 

Wannie [12:24]

Sure, plus, Snowball’s been missing you lately lol

 

Cute Joy [12:25]

SNOWBALL, MY LOVE???

I’m on my way right now.

 

Wannie [12:25]

Hey!!!! What about me??

 

Cute Joy [12:25]

Yeah ur fine, I guess

 

Wannie [12:25]

Omg just hurry up

 

Taking the remote from the table, Wendy turned her TV on, looking for something to watch as she patiently waited for the taller girl to arrive.

 

***

 

Wendy would lie if she said she hadn’t gotten overly engrossed in the marine biology documentary she was watching.

 

“How do researchers not get scared by the deep water fish, they look terrifying.” She muttered to herself while she gently petted Snowball, who had climbed up to lay by her side a little while ago.

 

A moment later, the sound of her doorbell distracted her from the ‘absolutely nightmarish’ anglerfish on the screen, and Wendy got up, heading to the door. As soon as she turned the doorknob, she didn’t even have time to greet her friend, because all she saw was a swift silhouette zooming past her at an alarming speed, while she heard an excited scream.

 

“Look at him!!” Joy energetically said, crouched beside the sofa as she the fur of a happy Snowball. Rolling her eyes at the sight, Wendy walked towards her kitchen.

 

“And here I thought you came here to talk about me.” She joked, taking out a small plate.

 

“All things in due time, Wan.” Joy wisely answered, resuming her petting.

 

Wendy laughed at her friend, grabbing a box of cookies from her pantry. “Chocolate or normal?”

 

“Is that even a question?” Joy faked annoyance, looking at Wendy over her shoulder.

 

“Not really.” Wendy smiled, placing a bunch of chocolate cookies on a plate, and bringing it to the table in front of the sofa, where Joy had sat down, Snowball comfortably curled up on her lap.

 

“You really did it, huh?” Joy said when the brunette sat down beside her, a proud smile painting her expression.

 

“Yeah,” Wendy started, “but I'm not even sure how it went. Everything is very confusing right now, if I’m honest.” 

 

“How so? Did anything happen?” Joy asked, concerned lining her voice.

 

“Don’t worry, it’s not like that.” Wendy explained, while Joy took a bite out of her cookie. “I called her and told her I'd like her to come to the exposition, and…” Wendy looked around, feeling a bit nervous.

 

“And…?” Joy looked at her friend, encouraging her to go on.

 

“And she said she’ll think about it.”

 

Joy thought for a moment, finishing her cookie. “Well, it’s better than nothing, right?” She said, gently patting the kitten’s small head.

 

“Still, I think the most important thing is that you did it, Wan. You went into it head first, and that certainly takes some courage.” Joy reassured her friend.

 

“Yeah, I'm happy I did it.” Wendy said, looking back at her TV. “I do want to get my mind off of it though, so, want to watch something?”

 

Joy’s face lit up, a mischievous smirk appearing on her lips, just as Wendy realized her fatal mistake.

 

“Please not Clue-” Wendy tried to argue.

 

“We’re watching Clueless!!!!” Joy excitedly announced, taking the remote in her hand, while a defeated Wendy just looked at her.

 

“We’ve watched it countless times already, Joy, please, let that movie go.” The shorter girl tried to argue, fighting the urge to laugh at her situation.

 

“A masterpiece like Clueless never gets old, Wan.” Joy turned to her friend. “Plus, I know you like it almost as much as I do.” She quipped, winking at Wendy.

 

“Fine, just get the blankets.” Wendy huffed, embarrassed, as she surrendered once more against the ever victorious Park Joy.