who am i to you? (guessing game)

The Color of Iris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter awoke with a loud gasp, covering with her trembling hands, as if she had been holding it for a long time, or maybe she hadn’t breathed at all to begin with – irregular heart beating, dry lips, and cold sweats all over her body. “ing nightmare,” the demigod groaned in deep annoyance, cursing weakly under her breath, carefully sitting herself down on her couch with her hand rubbing the temple of her head, as her feet touched the soft texture of her carpet. The outdoor light mounted on the wall in her porch was left on overnight where its light passed through the partially covered window serving as her only light source, illuminating the bits of her dimmed living room, as her eyes slowly readjusted to her surroundings – everything was still intact just like what she last saw before she fell asleep. Thank the gods and goddesses of Olympus, she’s still alive because ever since that night of her first meet and greet with Zeus (which by the way, ended her up completely useless as a demigod), she felt like she was dying every time she would close her eyes to sleep.

 

It had been days since the night she lost all her powers, and ever since, the demigod began having the same nightmare like a broken video recorded tape that was stuck on repeat every time she would fall into a deep slumber. The said nightmare was fairly simple: she was lying on a bed inside an unfamiliar bedroom that she had never been to and she would never wake up again – such a painless and peaceful way to die – it’s like every time she closed her eyes every night, she was dreaming of her own death; hence, which explained why she had her newfound phobia sleeping on a bed ever since – a sleep paralysis, perhaps? Maybe? But she guessed it could be more than that.

 

The demigod vividly remembered the first time she dreamt about this. Everything was in a blur except for the fact that she was on a bed and she just couldn’t breathe until everything around her went silent in utter darkness. But as the nights went by, the nightmare was getting clearer and few details were keep adding every now and then, like how spacious the room was, the exact time in the alarm clock on the bedside table, the exact date about when it will happen where it’s encircled by a red marker on a small calendar, few stuff like pebbles and a storybook on the desk beside the wall, and more. But Winter never gave a single damn about it because all she cared right now was to have even just for once in a while, just one peaceful night to sleep because being sleep deprived everyday was no joke at all – she’s like a walking zombie and she despised it the most as the bully kids in her neighborhood targeted her most of the time, and she had nothing to do about it because she was powerless. Having one nightmare , but having the same repeating nightmare every night that made her struggled to breathe was ing terrible; in which the demigod sometimes wondered that if this was just really part of her punishment or a ing death sentence.

 

Navigating her way to the kitchen, Winter grabbed a bottle of cold water from her fridge and chugged it all down in one go, releasing a satisfying sigh afterwards. She checked the time on her wall clock – it’s past five in the morning, and she believed during this hour, Karina was about to wake up. Winter knew about it because during the first few nights of the terrors of her nightmare, she kept unintentionally waking up Karina from her screams, hence, her kindhearted neighbor always paid her a visit at night every time that happened. Because of these sleepless nights, they got to know more about each other, and they became closer than ever. Don’t get her wrong, Winter wanted nothing more than spending time together with Karina, and it never failed her to have a soft spot for her neighbor every time Karina would come to her rescue. But of course, the demigod also cared deeply for Karina’s well-being and she wanted her neighbor to have complete sleep which was also one of the reasons why Winter decided to sleep on her couch in her living room as she avoided to sleep in her bedroom at all cost so she wouldn’t make that much of a noise since their bedrooms were only divided by a thick wall.

 

As their bond grew stronger, the fluttering feelings in her heart never left, but in fact, it grew from a small seed to a tiny sprout, and now it’s waiting for its first bloom under the spring sun. Honestly speaking, the demigod had no idea what to do with these feelings since she believed that it was too risky, which led her to struggle depicting about what her heart and mind really wanted her to do lately.

 

Tsss… What the hell are you saying? We’re just good friends, that’s all. Winter always thought and she believed that what they’re both doing together were just what great friends and neighbors supposed to do – just like their newly established morning routine together in which Karina gladly offered her help to divert the demigod’s attention away from her recent troubles even just for a while… which she was about to do now at this early hours of the day. How funny it was that a night owl and a person who was always asleep during the day like Winter, had a morning routine. A morning routine sounds impossible for her ever since she was born and when she first discovered her powers, and it never crossed her mind that she would become an early bird. Who else who could have thought that she would change to a person like she was today? No one, but only Karina, and Winter thought that this was the only good thing that happened to her since she became a useless and powerless demigod… which was not really a bad thing after all because being with Karina made her feel something that no majestic wonders could ever compete, even though she was a coward to face the sound of her heartbeat. Maybe, not today, the demigod believed.

 

With two cups of freshly brewed cup of coffee in her hands, Winter headed to her porch at the front of her house, placing carefully the coffees on the table as she sat on a chair, restless and happy, with huge excitement in her face that she would get to see her neighbor first thing in the morning. Winter had zero s whether or not she would get enough sleep from the night before every single day, what matters to her that she would never skipped a day to do their morning routine together because once the demigod started her day first with her neighbor, the rest of her day was already completed.

 

Their morning routing was just simple: they would do gardening together. Obviously, Winter had zero talent in taking good care of plants, and she didn’t need to look after the red poppy flowers in her front yard because it will never wither at all even if she forgot to water those until her death (since that’s the flower that represented her father, which also represented her). But because this was what Karina always did every morning, where her hands were gifted to touch any flower as it would grow beautifully just like she was, Winter was willing to do gardening with her in Karina’s small garden in her front yard, just to be with her. If only Karina could see how beautiful her rainbow colored flowers that her blind neighbor poured her heart into in her own garden, it’s a shame, Winter believed because Karina deserved to see all of it but she was unable to, but the demigod hoped one day she could... even if it’s impossible.

 

Warming her cold hands by rubbing her palms against each other, worry was starting to get in her head as Winter checked the time on the screen of her phone; thirty minutes had been passed since the supposed time they would do gardening together and Karina was still not going outside her house. Usually, her neighbor was never this late and this was the first time she was. Winter couldn’t keep it to herself to check on Karina, as she stood up from her chair, when suddenly, Karina’s front door finally opened, leaving Winter speechless like her world was slowly turning into slow motion as her blind neighbor carefully went out. Karina was not wearing her usual gardening clothes, but instead, she was wearing a lovely white nice casual dress like she was going out for a romantic movie date.

 

Still under dazed, Winter watched Karina made her way to the demigod’s porch, whereas she didn’t need even to use her retractable white cane to guide her there because Karina already knew of the path, and she had gotten use to keep visiting her neighbor almost every single day, completely unaware that Winter was just standing beside her when she made it to the doorstep.

 

As usual, Karina was absentmindedly fidgeting her fingers on her lap as she kept clearing for too many times – she was nervous, and Winter could see it clearly. Karina began speaking to herself quietly, practicing her “Hi Winter” to herself and her wonderful smile that always made the demigod caught off guard. It took Karina a minute to finally prepared herself as she was about to knock but her hand was suspended in the air, unable to move – she was hesitant once again as she practiced for one last time before knocking, as Winter bit her lips to hide her smile and she couldn’t believe how cute she was.

 

Winter decided not to make Karina feel embarrassed if she found out that the demigod was there all along and she saw what she was doing before knocking on her door, so she decided to move quietly outside her front yard and pretended that she just got home from somewhere. “Hey, Karina. Good morning. What’s up?” the demigod greeted with a huge grin, stepping back inside her porch.

 

“Oh. Hi, Winter!” Karina greeted back with a soft smile – just like what she had practice, turning around to direction where she believed Winter was. “I came here to say to apologize that I can’t do our morning routine together. Something came up the last minute, and I’m sorry that I didn’t give you heads up today. And I need to go any minute, I’m just waiting for my ride.”

 

“It’s totally fine,” Winter assured, even just seeing her neighbor in an ample time was already enough for her. “How about I take care of your plants today while you’re out?” the demigod willingly suggested – even though Winter knew to herself that it was a bad idea to let her do the gardening alone, but since this was for Karina, she would do her very best, hoping that it would not ended up to the murdering of plants.

 

Hated the feeling of being a burden to someone, Karina was hesitant to accept the offer as she was about to decline, but Winter stopped her by saying. “I think you’re the most beautiful person I see in that dress.”

 

Flustered as her cheeks burning in shades of red, Karina was unable to articulate her words, smiling embarrassingly. “Tha– Thank you? You’re so nice to me.”

 

Realizing what she had blurted out of nowhere, Winter quickly recovered. “I mean… I mean seeing you wearing that nice dress while gardening is weird so I would rather do all the gardening work than to see any dirt on your dress,” as Winter scratched the back of her head looking away. “I also mean that what I said to you first is true… I think you are really beautiful no matter what you wear,” as Winter stole a glance from Karina whereas her neighbor was completely dazed from her sudden confession, the demigod quickly changed the subject. “Anyway, take care later wherever you are going. I can manage here.”

 

“Thank you so much, Winter,” you don’t know how much your words mean to me. Karina released a soft warm sigh, smiling gently afterwards. “Actually, I’m also came here to ask you for one thing.”

 

“What is it?”

 

Karina took a step closer as she carefully extended her arm as it landed on Winter’s shoulder, as her hand gracefully traced down the demigod’s wrist and holding it gently. “Do you want to be my…” her heart was pounding, as Karina took a moment to muster her all her courage to say it out loud, her knuckles were tensing up as she took in and released short quick breaths.

 

“Hey, what is it? Are you okay?” Winter drew closer with a concerned look on her face and in her tone, as Karina felt it, causing her to tripped over her words, as she finally let it out with a quick sharp sigh, blushing in red. “Do you want to be my guide later at the amusement park?”

 

Silence.

 

Wait, what? Is this what I’m thinking it is? Is she asking me out on a date? Winter was completely flustered as she got lost staring at her unfocused eyes to the point she was unable to say words out of her slightly opened mouth.

 

“I’m sorry,” Karina immediately broke down the silence with defeat painted on her face that she failed to hide from the lack of response from the demigod. “I shouldn’t ask you for more. I mean, you’re already doing me a favor of taking care of my plants today. This is just for my photography class later and we’re about to go to amusement park later, I need someone to guide me and you’re the first person that comes inside my mind. Please don’t mind what I have asked. Thank you again, Winter,” she smiled sincerely as she tried to pull away her hand from her, but was stopped when Winter held her hand tightly.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t get to respond right away. I’m just surprised. I think this is going to be the first time we’re hanging out outside your garden,” Winter chuckled. “I would love to go out with you later regardless of whatever it is, as long as I’m with you.”

 

A sigh of relief escaped from Karina’s mouth as it turned to a sweet smile of victory. “Always?”

 

“Always,” Winter smiled as they both could feel the unexplainable tension between them as they both dwelled in comfortable silence, but both afraid to say anything else more than what they thought they were. Winter felt something screaming inside her heart after all this time they’ve been together as friends and neighbors and the scream was loud enough that she couldn’t hold it anymore. “Karina, I wanted to tell you something.”

 

“What is it?” Karina got nervous as she held Winter’s hand even tighter.

 

“I– I have… I have feel–“

 

A red car honking, suddenly pulled over in front of houses, downright disrupting the once in a blue moon moment that Winter had to finally say what she was feeling, but now it all just burst into bubbles totally dissipating in thin air.

 

“Hey Rina! We should go now or else we will be late,” Giselle shouted as she went out of her car, removing her sunglasses from her eyes as she placed it on top of her head like a hair accessory like a cool person in every chick flick movies, and as long as Winter looked at her face – she began to worry.

 

“What is it that you’re trying to say?” Karina asked Winter with a look of anticipation, as the demigod shifted her sight back to her. “It’s nothing. I think it can wait. I think you should go now,” Winter smiled genuinely.

 

“Are you sure?” Karina asked, seemingly didn’t want to let go of the topic but she didn’t want to push it further at this moment.

 

“I’m sure,” Winter nodded as she took her hand and let it rest on her arm, guiding her towards the car. The demigod opened the car door for her at the passenger seat, and assisted her as she successfully settled inside. “Take care, Karina. See you later?” Winter smiled at her before she closed the door.

 

Karina flashed a dazzling smile, nodding like a cute child. “See you later, Winter.”

 

As Winter took a step back, she exchanged quick glances with Giselle as they smiled at each other briefly before she went back to the driver seat – seemingly, they already knew what kind of person they were. Winter believed that they both didn’t need an official introduction of each other, because Winter already heard a lot about Giselle from Karina these past few days. And even though this was the first time Winter saw Giselle personally, the demigod knew in just first glance that Giselle exuded an aura of physical attraction like a spell casted on everyone whoever saw her face – where Winter couldn’t help herself to worry as the unexplainable confusing feelings overwhelmed her, because she just realized that Giselle was not just an ordinary human being, Winter first assumed she was before, but the truth was she was also a demigod like her, a daughter of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty… and that’s why Winter was worried.

 

Walking back to her porch, and all she could think of was the person she cared about the most. Winter couldn’t help but to wonder as she watched the car moving away from a distance.

 

Who am I to you?

 

 

Aimlessly pacing back and forth at the entrance of the amusement park, Winter failed to hide her excitement mixed with nervousness because this was the first time that she and Karina were doing something else aside from gardening. She was actually ten minutes early from the agreed meet up time, but she always wanted to show up early just for her neighbor. Good for her, she managed to take good care of her Karina’s plants while she was away, spending time with Giselle. Although, she couldn’t deny that she couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Wait. Am I getting jealous? No way. I shouldn’t be. Winter shook her head in frustration. Karina only told her that she met Giselle somewhere and they had this common interest, and they were bonding over that at the later part of the day. Winter had no idea what they were both doing because she never asked about it in the first place; because every time she heard the name ‘Giselle’ coming out from Karina’s mouth, she felt something weird inside her, and it’s not a pleasant feeling – let alone that Winter knew of the fact, that anyone who spent too much time with a child of Aphrodite, most likely, that person was easily attracted to them because of their charismatic aura just like their goddess mother.

 

Ugh. This is frustrating. Karina and I are just friends. She has the right to spend time with her other friends… Are they… or maybe they are more than that? Heaving a deep sigh as Winter stopped on her tracks, veering her sight towards the incoming van entering the parking premises. The van parked nearby – in which Winter hoped it’s actually Karina and her friends in her photography class, because the demigod was watching every vehicle that parked in the premises, where some people thought she was a creep. A group of people got out from the van one by one, until finally, Karina came out, pressing the button on her white retractable crane, just like what her other peers did.

 

“Karina!” Winter happily jogged her way to her neighbor as a huge grin quickly formed in Karina’s face, searching for the source of the voice, she recognized in an instant. “Winter? I’m glad you’re here,” Karina giggled.

 

“Of course, You don’t know how much I’m looking forward to this,” Winter smiled, even though she was filled with worry about earlier, it easily went away as soon as she was with Karina now.

 

“So Karina, are we finally going to meet the person you always gushed about? What’s her name again? Oh yeah. It’s Winter, right?” Ningning came forward, one of Karina’s friend in her photography class for the blinds, approached them from behind, unaware that the demigod was already with them.

 

Like a cold bucket of water poured over her, Karina was embarrassed and blushing in red, meanwhile, Winter couldn’t hide her smile from hearing those words. She just couldn’t imagine that Karina would actually talk about her to her friends – she somehow felt special. “Hi, I’m Winter,” the demigod introduced herself with a smug on her face.

 

“Oh my god! I don’t know you’re here already,” the girl covered in surprise. “Hi! I’m Ningning. But I’m sorry, not sorry, because it’s actually true that Karina talked a lot about you,” she revealed where Winter chuckled a lot.

 

“Hey!” Karina playfully hit her friend’s leg with her cane, covered in full embarrassment. “Stop talking.”

 

Unwilling to shut up, Ningning looked straight at Winter, adjusting her eyeglasses on the bridge of her nose to take a good look at the demigod. “You know what, I couldn’t see in my left eye, and my vision in my right is bit blurry, but I’m quite sure that you are so beautiful,” she then shifted her vision back to Karina, leaning closer to her ear as she whispered. “If only you can see the way she looks at you, but since you obviously can’t…” they both chuckled, Ningning continued. “I’m telling you, I think you are the luckiest person I know.”

 

Karina looked away, trying her best not to escape a smile because she couldn’t afford to get embarrassed again in front of Winter, as the demigod gazed at her, not hiding her smile at all.

 

“Okay guys, for our last activity for today, we shall be taking photos in the amusement park. Let’s take great photos, shall we?” their team leader announced followed by a joyous cheer before they all went their separate ways with their own guides.

 

“See you around guys! Enjoy you two!” Ningning waved them goodbye as she walked towards the entrance of the amusement park.

 

“Shall we go now?” Winter offered her arm to Karina as she retracted her cane back to its original form because she wouldn’t need it anyway, carefully placing her hand on the demigod’s arm like where it was supposed to be on its own home. “Let’s go,” Karina smiled.

 

Few snaps from here and then, Karina was doing great in taking those pictures using her yellow polaroid camera inside the amusement park – from the structures, stores, foods, rides, decorations, and alike – even though she couldn’t see at all, Winter’s words of assurance and guidance in taking those photos were enough for her because she trusted her a lot.

 

“Here we go,” Karina cheered, taking the last snap of the Ferris wheel using her camera. “I think I only have one shot left. I don’t have any films left in my bag.”

 

“Do you want me to get more for you? I think there is a store here somewhere,” Winter suggested.

 

“No, thank you,” Karina stopped her as she looked away. “I think we still have a lot of time, and I’m thinking of maybe….”

 

“Maybe?” Winter asked although she already had an idea what was her next sentence was about, but of course, she didn’t want to assume first.

 

“Maybe you want to do with me what two people supposed to do while they’re in the amusement park?” Karina shyly asked.

 

Winter chuckled. “But first, what do you think two people do in the amusement park?”

 

Karina frowned in a cute manner, knowing that Winter was teasing her once more. “I don’t know, you tell me. I never experienced to date someone.”

 

“Neither do I,” Winter revealed as both of them couldn’t stop smiling. “So, you think this is our first date

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter