Carnival Kisses

Carnival Kisses

As far as first dates go, this one is already off to a rough start. Seulgi somehow managed to sleep beyond the time that she and Mina agreed upon. Despite the many conversations about what time they would meet up, hitting snooze on the alarm was simply too tempting. She rushed to put her clothes on but only barely managed to get her legs into the right section of her skinny blue jeans. There was almost a collision between her head and her bedframe, embarrassingly more than once.

Every year, a carnival takes place in the middle of the city. There are fairground rides galore, impeccable street food trucks, and a few beer stands if you’re into that sort of thing. Seulgi only attends for the food that is on offer. It’s not every day that someone will put chicken wings and bacon on top of macaroni cheese. Nor do they ever expect for someone of her stature to wolf it all down in one go, but she proves them wrong every year. They also hand out gift cards to anyone capable of clearing their plate. Seulgi always walks away with at least three months worth of free meals courtesy of the trucks. 

She would usually attend solo. The rides were only ever of interest to her when she was a child. This time, however, she decided to invite along some company. What started as just a simple invite progressed to being a full-blown first date within minutes. Mina had gotten so excited from just finding out about the carnival that she had word-vomited into a hyper exclamation of it being a date. Seulgi was far too nervous and, thrown off by her straightforward response that she just agreed with her. Not that she isn’t excited to be going out with Mina, it just wasn’t what she had in mind. 

There is surprisingly hardly any traffic in the city. Though, she does run a red light to get there slightly faster. The thought of having Mina standing around waiting for her in a place she has never attended is simply unbearable. The slight feeling of anxiety in her chest when she thinks about it is a shock. Naturally, Seulgi cares about Mina in the sense that she would never want anything terrible to happen to anyone. But, this feels like genuine fear or concern, something she never expected to feel toward someone she didn’t even intend to go on a date with. 

The bright lights start to come into view as she pulls up into the jam-packed parking lot. Right at the back, as far away from the entrance as possible, she manages to find a spot. She rapidly gets out of the car, almost forgetting to lock it, and sprints toward the entryway as fast as she can. Just as she gets halfway toward it, does she realize that she’s left her wallet at home. Seulgi skids to a halt and turns on her heels, ready to race back toward her car. 

“Seulgi? Where are you going?” Mina says softly from behind her. A small teddy bear clutched tightly within her tiny hands. She shuffles her feet nervously and doesn’t make eye contact the entire time. Seulgi can see how bad this looks, and she’s not even sure how she can answer to make it better. 

“I’m…” Seulgi hesitates, inhaling deeply before continuing. “I’m sorry I’m late, firstly. I apologize for making you wait around for me. I need to go home, though. I’ve left my wallet behind, like an idiot.” 

Mina’s head slowly rises from looking toward the ground, a brief grin gracing her lips as she stretches one of her hands out toward Seulgi for her to hold. It takes a few seconds for Seulgi to realize whatever she said has worked as she takes Mina’s hand into her own. 

“Come on. I got you, but you owe me a second date where you are definitely paying.” Mina chuckles to herself. “Here, I won this while I was waiting for you. It’s for you.”  She says, handing over the teddy bear for Seulgi to admire. No one has ever given her a gift on the first date. It makes her chest feel warm. Though, she hides her blushing face away from Mina. 

They wander around the carnival for some time with no clear direction. The conversation switches back and forth about their childhoods, favorite foods, movies they each love, and music they are listening to at the moment. It’s casual, yet now and then, Mina will switch to flirtatious, and Seulgi does her best to reciprocate. Though, she can’t help but feel like Mina has her beat in that department. Her smooth lines were far wittier than anything Seulgi could conjure up and confidence higher than the sky above.

It takes a little bit of convincing on Seulgi’s behalf for Mina to agree to get onto some of the rides. In particular, the Ferris wheel was the most challenging as Mina confessed to having a fear of heights. But, after clasping their hands together and gently the back of Mina’s hand with her thumb, she follows onto the ride with ease. A few people in the line, to get onto it, quip about how high up it takes you. Mina huddles closer to Seulgi until their bodies are inseparable. 

“Don’t worry. We can close our eyes at the top and pretend we’re floating.” Seulgi whispers. Mina only nods in response and grips her hand tighter. 

The ride attendant leads them both toward one of the seats. Mina never once lets go of Seulgi's hands and makes sure to sit as close as possible to her. Not that Seulgi minds at all, nor does it make her nervous. Something about Mina feels comforting. Almost like this date that wasn't supposed to be a date was meant to happen. 

The ride bursts to life and begins to rotate around slowly. A few kids in the seats above them rock their cars back and forth without care. Thankfully, Mina has already jammed her eyes closed and doesn't notice that they are trying to scare one another. Seulgi watches beneath them, all of the people idly wandering around the fairground. Some of them carrying enormous teddy bears that are bigger than their entire bodies. 

"Do you want to look? We're at the top." Seulgi quietly asks, not at all expecting Mina to open her eyes at all. Surprisingly, she does. 

"It's so pretty," Mina exclaims. "Not as pretty as you, but pretty." 

Seulgi can feel the warmth attacking her cheeks from the compliment. She quickly drapes her arm across Mina's shoulders and continues to watch the people below in silence. 

For the next hour or so, Seulgi drags Mina around the different booths, reminiscing with stories about visiting them with her parents as a child. Mina listens intently to her rattle-off unconnected stories, a smile ever present on her face, and thinks about how she could listen to Seulgi all day. The recalling childhood memories come to an end when Seulgi notices the food court. Though she doesn't stop dragging Mina along with her. Almost pulling her arm out of the socket in the process. 

“Oh Mina! You have got to try this with me!” Seulgi excitedly proclaims. Her legs move quicker than the wind to stand in line. “Their taco combinations are infamous. I saw someone once ask for everything. ON ONE TACO!” 

A few of the people in front of them in line turn around upon hearing Seulgi’s excited shouts. A look of disbelief on their faces at her exclamation, unable to comprehend how a taco could hold everything on offer. Mina, however, watches her excited face and giddy steps in awe. There’s no way she’s going to follow suit and try everything on one taco. But, she is willing to see what all the hype is about if Seulgi speaks of it so highly. 

“Hey, what can I get you?” A tall man with long dark hair behind the counter asks. 

Seulgi steps forward to order but remembers that she is dining on Mina’s money. She swivels around on her feet and looks at her companion with the widest smile possible. Mina’s heart rate picks up, and she’s sure then that she is doomed. 

“You should order for us.” Seulgi speaks softly, but her voice is warm with excitement. “Surprise me.” She beams. 

Mina steps beyond Seulgi to take a look at the board above the counter. The options are endless, and all of it sounds amazing to her currently grumbling stomach. But, she doesn’t wish to make Seulgi wait for her food any longer than necessary. Plus, she figures watching her try to gracefully eat a taco when she usually would guzzle it down will be fun. 

“Can I get one of the shrimp tacos and one of the carne asada. Then two birria tacos, please.” Mina asks. The man simply nods and moves to the opposite side of the truck to begin making them. 

She pulls out her card when he requests it and taps it against the machine to pay for their food. Seulgi can’t help but feel bad watching Mina pay for everything, but one thing is for sure, she will get her second date, and she won’t forget her wallet. She watches as Mina walks toward her with two trays in hand, and they stroll side by side toward one of the benches to sit and eat. A few couples idly talk on the benches beside them. Seulgi can’t help but smile, watching them eat together and enjoying one another’s company. Mina, in turn, beams brightly at seeing Seulgi so happy. 

“I’m going to have trouble with you, aren’t I?” Mina asks aloud, unknowingly, quickly placing a hand over to try and retrieve the words. 

Seulgi turns back to face her quickly, smile still in place. “What do you mean?” 

Mina waits momentarily before offering a response. The first date is not usually when she would feel such a strong connection with someone. Usually, it would take a few of these dates before she would take it seriously. But, there’s something different about Seulgi, something comforting and safe. 

“You’re just… You’re cute, Seulgi.” Mina whispers, barely audible. Her cheeks begin to beam a bright red that Seulgi decides not to point out. 

“I could say the same about you” is all Seulgi offers in response. 

They both awkwardly smile at one another before bursting into laughter, breaking the tension. Seulgi reaches her hand across the table to gently hold Mina’s hand, brushing her thumb along the back of it slowly. Mina is sure her heart rate has increased beyond normal and that Seulgi will be her cause of death here and now. Their hands don’t move, even as Seulgi quickly dives into her food and Mina follows suit. 

It’s twenty minutes later when they stand from the benches and stroll back to the car park. They idly discuss their favorite part of the date and what to do for the second. Seulgi jokingly offers that they should compete in a marathon together, which sounds like hell to Mina. However, when Mina brings up that Seulgi should pay for them to see a movie, it is only then that the realization finally hits. 

“Damn it!” Seulgi shouts. “I’m so stupid!” 

Mina’s head tilts to the side, and she frowns at Seulgi’s exclamation. Before she knows it, her hands have cupped Seulgi’s face gently and raised her head from staring a hole into the ground. Their eyes meet, and Seulgi offers a small smile to reassure Mina that she’s okay. 

“Please don’t talk that way about yourself. You are not stupid, Seulgi. What’s wrong?” Mina asks cautiously, not wanting to make matters worse. 

Seulgi lets out a deep sigh, hugs Mina briefly, and pulls away a lot sooner than Mina had hoped. The embrace is warm, and Seulgi’s arms feel secure wrapped around her body. For a second, she contemplates grabbing onto her arms and dragging them back around herself. But, Seulgi takes a few steps backward, pulling out her phone. 

“I could have just paid with this,” Seulgi states quietly, waving her phone in front of herself. “I have my details saved to my phone. You paid for me for no reason. I’m sorry, Mina.” 

Without warning, Mina rushes to close the gap between them by holding Seulgi’s hand once again. The gentle feel of Mina’s hand in her own catches Seulgi off guard as she does her best to maintain eye contact with her. Mina bites her lip gently, contemplating whether or not to listen to the voice inside of her head telling her to kiss Seulgi right now. She wrestles with herself for a few more seconds before finally pressing her lips against Seulgi’s cheek delicately. 

It’s now Seulgi’s turn to feel her cheeks burn up bright red and her heart rate increase. She knows that this next move would be a risky one. But, looking into Mina’s beautiful eyes is all the reassurance Seulgi needed. Their lips touch slowly, carefully. Yet, there’s a rush of adrenaline as their mouths work together to create an intensely passionate first kiss that neither expected to happen on the first date. However, they both swiftly realize, their lips were meant to meet and that they will struggle to go for even five seconds without tasting one another. 

Though it isn’t easy to do so, Seulgi carefully breaks away from the embrace. The look of fondness spread across Mina’s face is something that Seulgi thinks she could get used to seeing. Her lips are certainly something she wishes to feel more often. 

“I will forgive you, if you repay me just like that.” Mina mumbles, trying to catch her breath. 

Seulgi moves closer toward her once more and wraps her arms around Mina’s neck. 

“I think we can work something out.”