Chapter 1

Sequoia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Getting lost in the dark forest alone would be scary for anyone, the thought of being surrounded by tall trees and knowing there could be animals hiding somewhere ready to pounce on you. Especially for an eighth year old Taecyeon, who played too far away from his grandfather’s cabin, only to realize he wasn’t able to find said cabin and the sun was currently setting.

Walking through the forest, he could only wish that he wasn’t going in deeper since he didn’t actually know where he was going, everywhere he looked it was the same large trees and bushes, had he been going in a circle?

His short legs were about to give up, he doesn’t know how long he has been walking through the forest. There were cuts on his legs due to him falling down when playing earlier, the air was slowly getting colder, he should’ve worn longer pants. Then again he wasn’t expecting this.

Taecyeon saw an old log, deciding that it was useless if he continued on walking, he was tired too.

When he sat down and rested on the log, it didn’t take long for his tears to come out. For a kid, Taecyeon rarely cried, but he was so frustrated, because of both himself and this forest. It was his fault for not listening to his grandpa and playing too far away, he’ll try to listen to him more after this. Now this forest was too big, and everything was too similar.

The sudden sound of dried leaves crunching made him stop crying. Not knowing what it was, he decided to stay put and close his eyes, remembering how creatures won’t be able to see him if he didn’t move, or whatever the jurassic park guy said when he watched it last week.

“Are you lost young one?”

Instead of an animal or a monster that he imagined, there was a soft comforting voice.

Opening his eyes, Taecyeon saw a handsome man in white clothing, his brown hair looked fluffy, it sort of reminded him of a poodle.

Wiping his tears, Taecyeon looked up to the man and nodded, "I played too.. far away.. now i can't find my way back"

Tears started streaming down his face again when he remembered how his mom and dad were probably worried sick back at the cabin, next time he should just accept his fate of being his sister's make up doll instead of going out to the forest.

The stranger in front of him got on his knee, wiping the tears that were on his cheek. The smile on his face made Taecyeon feel warm and comforted.

"Taecyeon, I can take you back to the cabin. Would you like that?"

His eyes lit up at the mention of the cabin, but he also became a bit weary because he didn't remember telling the man his name. He remembers his mom telling him about creeps and strangers that will kidnap him, so he ended up shaking his head at the offer.

The man just chuckled and ruffle his hair, "I'm no stranger kiddo, my name is Wooyoung and i can really bring you back to the cabin trust me"

When the stranger extended his hand, Taecyeon took it. Suddenly the forest became a lot brighter.

 

Passing by crowds of students through the campus, Taecyeon was making his way back to his dorm after finishing up some paperwork he had to do for the student union. He was planning to go back to the dorm, pack things up and go back home to his family. Or in this case go to the old cabin first then go back home to visit his family, if he still had time to of course.

He was waiting for the crossing light to turn green when his phone buzzed in his pocket, taking it out he saw his mom had texted him, and it was once again telling him to go visit his late grandpa's cabin and clean it out so they can have a family holiday there soon. He felt like his mom didn't want him to go back home and that's why she was sending him off back to that old cabin. But he knew that it wasn't the case, if anything his mom wants him to be back as soon as possible. It was just, she didn't have anyone she trusted enough to clean that cabin other than him.

He was typing a reply to his mom when another text notification came out. It was from Minjun saying, 'Bbq place near campus, my treat'.

Smirking at the text, he quickly finished replying to his mom, before putting phone in his pocket and crossing the road to make his way towards the barbeque restaurant.

Walking in the barbeque restaurant, Taecyeon expected it to be more full since today was the last day of the semester and some students like to celebrate it by eating out. But the only people he saw were a couple of girls having dinner, and his friends, all huddled up at the corner of the restaurant already eating without him.

He quickly approached them, taking a seat beside Chansung, who was already busy stuffing his face with meat. After waving at Minjun and Junho, Taecyeon took a glass and poured some soju, downing the alcoholic drink immediately, he needed it after a busy day of running around campus doing some last minute work. This was the first time he regretted joining the student union, but it gave him extra credits so why should he complain about it.

“Our busy bee finally came to join us, how does it feel to finally be on holiday hyung?”

“Like they lifted a huge boulder off my shoulders, hell i’m not doing this anymore”

Grabbing the metal chopsticks the restaurant prepared for them, Taecyeon quickly stole a piece of meat from the grill, earning a whine from his youngest friend.

“Ah hyung! That’s mine!”

“Isn’t Minjun paying? If anything this is his!” he replied while wrapping the leaf around the meat and popping it into his mouth while grinning at Chansung.

“Ya i ordered enough for you two big eaters”

Sending another grin to Chansung, he took another piece of meat from the grill and ate it. The younger grumbled something but decided to put some of the cooked meat on his own plate so they wouldn't have to fight over it.

“So have you guys thought about where you’re going for the holiday?”

“Minjun hyung is inviting me over to visit his family” Junho replied, a faint blush was visible on his face.

“Oh sweet, are you guys getting engaged?” 

Taecyeon watched as Junho started yelling incoherent words at Chansung over the question, he laughed at the scene in front of him. Thinking that he’ll probably miss this chaotic atmosphere once the semester break starts.

“We’re just visiting my family for a short while, and then we’ll go visit Junho’s” Minjun said while putting his arms around Junho’s shoulder, “How about you two?”

“My family lives near here so I don't really need to go far,” Chansung answered with a frown before downing a shot of soju.

“You Taec?”

"I wanted to go visit my family overseas, but they're forcing me to go to my grandpa's old cabin and clean it up"

"Oh so you'll b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter